Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

wa27 posted:

They weren't actually!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234582155955

But yeah, Walmart does this all the time with themed slipcovers over the normal cases. It's kind of funny sometimes.

Walmart also did some comic themed steelbooks which were stupid. I got these on black friday one year, and there's no alternate cover for them:

Hellboy is a comic so not really seeing an issue there. I think you could do the same thing to any sufficiently pulpy movie and it would make plenty of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hellboy is the only one that makes sense. Paul isn’t a comic book or even comic style lmao. They go to comic con I guess but still.

Crap cover but it was 5 bucks! I like the flick a lot so no problem dealing with it.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

CelticPredator posted:

Hellboy is the only one that makes sense. Paul isn’t a comic book or even comic style lmao. They go to comic con I guess but still.

Crap cover but it was 5 bucks! I like the flick a lot so no problem dealing with it.

Yeah I picked up a bunch of those horrible looking steelbooks years ago at clearance. It wasn't bad spending $3.74 apiece for Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Guys you’re making me feel bad for collecting them :saddowns:

I’ve got Hellboy 2, Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Death Race, Gladiator, Wanted, and Doom

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

I’ve got Hellboy 2, Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Death Race, Gladiator, Wanted, and Doom

I actually think it's kinda cool as a little collection like that. It just when you see them individually you're like "what does Gladiator have to do with comics?"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Yeah I picked up a bunch of those horrible looking steelbooks years ago at clearance. It wasn't bad spending $3.74 apiece for Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead

Yeah, I got the Scarface comic steelbook at a Big Lots for $4, they had a ton of them

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

I actually think it's kinda cool as a little collection like that. It just when you see them individually you're like "what does Gladiator have to do with comics?"

Gladiator would be a cool comic book series. Especially that proposed sequel.

quote:

Cave’s Gladiator 2 screenplay opens with Maximus waking up in the afterlife. To his disappointment, it isn’t the sun-kissed Elysium he dreamt of in Gladiator, but an endless rain-sodden netherworld where wretched refugees huddle on the shores of a black ocean. With the help of a ghostly guide, Mordecai, Maximus treks to a ruined temple where he meets Jupiter, Mars and five other diseased and decrepit Roman deities. Jupiter explains that one of their number, Hephaestus, has betrayed them, and is now preaching the gospel of another god who is more powerful than all of them. Just to quibble for a moment, Hephaestus is a Greek god, not a Roman one, so Cave should really have named him Vulcan. But the screenplay compensates for this slip with some writing to relish.

“He is an agitator,” say Jupiter of Hephaestus. “He squeezes the bellows of dissent... a little wind... a mere puff... but within it the presage of pandemonium. Am I making myself clear?”

“No,” says Maximus.

Jupiter offers him a deal: if he kills Hephaestus, then he will be reunited with his wife and son in the golden wheat fields of Elysium. It may sound like the premise of a Terry Gilliam film or a Neil Gaiman graphic novel, rather than a blockbuster sequel, but Cave’s Orphean adventure sort of makes sense. All through Gladiator, Maximus longs to see his family again, so there is a certain logic to a plot which keeps that longing alive, even when the person doing the longing isn’t. Once you adjust your expectations, you can settle in and enjoy Gladiator 2 for the supernatural quest movie that it is.

To hell and back

But then, suddenly, it isn’t. No sooner has Maximus tracked down Hephaestus than he is zapped out of the stygian gloom and into the world of flesh and blood, a decade or two after his death. Human again, he travels to Rome in search of his son Marius: did I mention that Marius, who was crucified and burnt to death in Gladiator, is alive and kicking in Gladiator 2?

At this stage, the script focuses on a band of early Christians dodging the Roman authorities, just as they did in the recent Mary Magdalene biopic which co-starred Phoenix. But these scenes also bring back some of the characters and political intrigue from Gladiator. As well as meeting his now-adult son, Maximus bumps into his old sidekick Juba (who was played in the original film by Djimon Hounsou). And the screenplay’s villain is none other than Commodus’s mild-mannered nephew, Lucius, now grown up to be as evil as his uncle. More importantly, Gladiator 2 revisits the Colosseum, where the emperor watches a mock naval battle in an amphitheatre which is flooded with water and stocked with 100 alligators: a comment, perhaps, on the need for sequels to be bigger and more spectacular than their predecessors.

Everything leads to a showdown between Lucius’s Roman enforcers and the Christian resistance army which Maximus and Juba have been training in secret. And then what? Another chat with the Roman Gods? A family reunion in sunny Elysium? Well, no. Instead, Cave has Maximus striding into battle through the centuries: in the Crusades, in the World Wars, in Vietnam, and finally in the Pentagon, in a grander version of the opening montage of X-Men Origins: Wolverine. The message is that by choosing armed combat over non-violent resistance, Maximus has condemned humanity to an eternal cycle of bloodshed, which is a thought-provoking conclusion, but maybe not a crowd-pleasing one. Crowe’s reaction, according to Cave, was simple: “Don’t like it, mate.”

like that's comic book as gently caress

oh yeah it was written by Nick Cave

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20180810-gladiator-2-was-written-and-its-mad

dorium fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 29, 2022

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Has gladiator aged well? Never saw it

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I think it largely holds up. It's right at the beginning of Ridley's later career so he gets a bit too bloated for my taste, especially the further we go along into the new century but its still stuffed with fantastic performances from the cast.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I’d like to replace the box one day. But I’m too lazy.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

worms butthole guy posted:

Has gladiator aged well? Never saw it
Pretty well. It plays faster and looser with history than a lot of his historical stuff. The end hints at a restoration of the Roman Republic, where in history things actually got worse.

Kingdom of Heaven plays with history too, but not to the same degree, and it’s also a better movie. I’d like to see that come to UHD. It would be an upscale from 2K, but still an improvement on 1080P plus HDR.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jumped on B&N’s Criterion sale, bought 4 more movies I’ll never watch (if my prior Criterion sale history is any indication):

For All Mankind 4K (already seen it, upgrading from the bluray)

Citizen Kane 4K (never actually seen the movie, figured I should fix that)

The Piano 4K (blind buy, never seen it, but I’ve listened to the soundtrack more times than I can count and I love it, so I figured it was time to get it)

Flight of the Phoenix (another blind buy, I like the remake a lot so I figured this was a safe bet)

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
After you watch kane, you should watch any of the making of material out there. Some of the things they did in terms of filmmaking was impressive, especially for the time period. The politics behind it are also interesting, RKO 281 (https://www.hbomax.com/feature/urn:hbo:feature:GYC2nSQOUlKCGsQEAAAAE) is also a good follow-up, covering the events around the making of the film.

E: You could also skip a making of and read this breakdown about all the cool poo poo they do by roger mfing ebert- https://www.rogerebert.com/roger-ebert/a-viewers-companion-to-citizen-kane
do not read this until after you watch

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 29, 2022

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The Piano is wonderful.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I got the email saying that the sale was still on but I think I’ll sit it out. I’ll save that money for Heat, The Fog, and various Spooky Season releases.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

dorium posted:

I need to relook at my entire pre-order list.

I'm so glad I don't gaf about horror. I would somehow be even broker than I already am. I watch these companies milk horror fans for every drop with this fetish property and cannot fathom how ruined I would be.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I finally got around to watching the LoTR: Fellowship of the Ring on 4K and both discs of the movie have errors. When the Ring starts making everyone bicker at the Council of Elrond the sound starts glitching and the picture seizes up, same thing happens early on the second disc when the Fellowship is on the mountain and Sarumon is causing avalanches. I bought the entire trilogy in 4K from the local second hand shop too, so I guess I'm just hosed :negative:

edit; now that I think about it, both of those scenes have pretty busy sound mixes, maybe my soundbar could've caused it somehow..?

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 30, 2022

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Did the Blues Brothers get a cover like that in your neck of the woods? I remember seeing that down here in NZ, at the JB Hi-fi on Queen Street back in the day.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I know the whole deal behind putting lovely covers on old movies is to make it look "more modern" to get people to buy it. But at this point the only people still buying discs are nerds. So why can't they just use the original poster art?

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Because someone's nephew runs the graphic design department and has to justify their employment.

It's capitalism, 90% of any big company is people not actually doing what they were hired to do and instead tricking the higher ups into thinking they desperately need them.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Isn’t that the same reason why when Stranger Things and the 80s aesthetic trend blew up a bunch of older films got re-released in VHS style cases? I remember seeing the checkouts at JB Hifi lined with them.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I’m pretty sure I remember seeing them at various JBs before Stranger Things was a, uh, thing.

However, there is also a reasonable chance I’m misremembering this.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Creature posted:

Isn’t that the same reason why when Stranger Things and the 80s aesthetic trend blew up a bunch of older films got re-released in VHS style cases? I remember seeing the checkouts at JB Hifi lined with them.

It’s so unfair that the third season didn’t get a physical release. It begs for UHD w Dolby Vision. I loved the colors in S3.

Arrow announced Videodrome 4K for UK in October. So I assume we’ll see it in the US from them or Criterion sooner than not.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Because someone's nephew runs the graphic design department and has to justify their employment.

It's capitalism, 90% of any big company is people not actually doing what they were hired to do and instead tricking the higher ups into thinking they desperately need them.

I imagine it's also not wanting to pay Drew Struzan royalties when they could have a salaried graphic designer whip up some dumb bullshit in an afternoon instead.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
It’s real: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Heat-4K-Blu-ray/162890/#Review

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I’ll only believe it when that steel book is in my hands.

I’m also excited to read Heat 2

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I need someone other blu-ray.com to review heat before I go for it. They gave a huge thumbs up to the craft, which says they didn't watch it and just skipped around, and then deleted said review when everyone could see the bitrate dropping into single digits over and over through the whole film.

A 3-hour movie on a 66 gives me pause, disney kinda really sucks.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Lumbermouth posted:

I imagine it's also not wanting to pay Drew Struzan royalties when they could have a salaried graphic designer whip up some dumb bullshit in an afternoon instead.

I didn't even think of that, but if the original artists or graphic designers get royalties for reuse then that's definitely it.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Bad art is super frustrating considering the number of new designs to choose from out there
I have these books in my book collection;
-https://www.matthewchojnacki.com/read-me-1
-https://www.matthewchojnacki.com/alternative-movie-posters-ii
-https://mondoshop.com/blogs/news/the-art-of-mondo-front-cover-spreads-from-our-upcoming-book

and that's just a small sample of alt posters

e: i would buy the poo poo out of lebowski with these https://alternativemovieposters.com/amp/the-big-lebowski-by-ale-giorgini/, https://alternativemovieposters.com/amp/the-big-lebowski-by-dave-merrell/, https://alternativemovieposters.com/amp/the-big-lebowski-by-tyler-stout/

e2: someday i'm going to move everything into these and have my own uniform printed jackets with whatever front art i like...goals.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 30, 2022

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Do any of you have a reccomendations for a 4k player? The series x struggles to play dawn of the dead and the northman so I'm thinking it's time for a upgrade

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Do any of you have a reccomendations for a 4k player? The series x struggles to play dawn of the dead and the northman so I'm thinking it's time for a upgrade
I don't have a recommendation for a UHD player, but how is it struggling? It might be the discs themselves and not the Series X. My Series X has successfully played every UHD I've thrown at it except for a couple, but with those couple, I returned those discs and got replacements and then those played fine.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I have a Sony UBP-X800M2 and I've been very happy with it.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Rageaholic posted:

I don't have a recommendation for a UHD player, but how is it struggling? It might be the discs themselves and not the Series X. My Series X has successfully played every UHD I've thrown at it except for a couple, but with those couple, I returned those discs and got replacements and then those played fine.

Stuttering, lag on layer changes etc. The Xbox one x used to do this too. I'll check out the Sony UBP-X800M2 tho

pwn
May 27, 2004

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I didn't even think of that, but if the original artists or graphic designers get royalties for reuse then that's definitely it.

They absolutely do not, it's work for hire.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Sirotan posted:

I have a Sony UBP-X800M2 and I've been very happy with it.

The X700M is also wonderful and much less. And for a few dollars more, get one that's been modded to play all regions of Blu-rays and DVDs.

https://www.220-electronics.com/2017-bf-bluray/sony-ubp-x700-region-free-4k-uhd-blu-ray-player.html

Got one for my mum earlier this Summer and she's had no problems. You can also find the 800 on their site, I decided against it because my mum didn't need Dolby Atmos and that was almost $100 more.

https://www.220-electronics.com/region-free-blu-ray-players/sony-ubp-x800m2-region-free-4k-uhd-blu-ray-player-multi-region.html

Protip: Leave the tab open in your browser for a day and come back periodically and a coupon code may well pop up. I had gotten one that took $30 off (dollars, NOT percent.)

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Hah sweeet. Then I can sell my region free Blu ray player to a goon for cheap

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
17 years after seeing it as part of a Humanities elective and being blown away by how much I liked it, finally a copy of my own.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

17 years after seeing it as part of a Humanities elective and being blown away by how much I liked it, finally a copy of my own.

It’s so loving good. Welles owns

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

PinkoBastard posted:

It’s so loving good. Welles owns

I weirdly picked up F For Fake first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

TheScott2K posted:

I weirdly picked up F For Fake first

Also owns

Now go get Ambersons and Othello

Arrow has a sale on too on their site now so I just picked up the Battle for Honor and Humanity boxset, Don't Torture a Duckling, and Amazon had a decent price on the Second Sight Dawn of the Dead boxset and the first volume of Arrow's Fassbinder set last week so now I've got a shitload of things arriving in the mail and god please stop