Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Halloween Jack posted:

The funny thing in all this is that they had no qualms about blowing up Ilum, but Coruscant was going too far.

Eh, everyone has heard of Coruscant, no one but NEEEEEEEERDS ever gave a gently caress about Ilum. poo poo, I don't think I even heard of it till goons posted about it after the film came out.

As for Andor, instead of the weird obsession some have with "I hope this makes someone mad!!!!", I merely hope the show is Actually Good and well made. Mon Mothma pootling about right under the Empire's nose forming an insurgency sounds awesome, plus hopefully we'll see more of Bail and Saw too. Also lol/yay at the Naked Miner Boss from Chernobyl popping up in the trailer.

teagone posted:

Just want to hammer it home through visual language that those guys are insurgents, freedom fighters, revolutionaries, etc.

Hmmm, good point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Anita Dickinme posted:

But yeah, kinda weird they chose to go with an exact AK in freaking Star Wars.

All the other OT guns were just real guns with extra poo poo glued onto them, so it kind of makes sense. They probably should have altered the silhouette a little bit more, but in this case it's probably likely they wanted people to identify what the gun was supposed to be, since the AK's specific connotations are likely to tie into the themes of the show.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Did they just canonize the VT-49 Decimator? It looked like that was what Skarsgaard's character was flying.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
It’s pretty funny how they specifically call out rogue one’s creators as being a part of this. I think most of the fandom has reached a consensus that Rogue one at least feels StarWars and has a good finale.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
That poo poo looks awesome.

MeinPanzer posted:

That's just straight up an AK. They didn't even try to make it look sci-fi or anything.

Yeah, that was noticed when the trailer came out back in May. There's some minor changes to the back of the receiver, but it's pretty clear they wanted to keep the bulk of the AK silhouette. I'm really curious if they are actually going to be slugthrowers or just normal blasters.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

This isn't super high praise or anything but I think it looks a lot, lot better than the obi wan show. The premise being expressly pointless is just one of the costs of the ticket for disney wars at this point

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I said come in! posted:

Watched the Andor trailer, it just looks like more of the same from Obi-Wan; pointless fan service with zero consequences or reasons to care because all it does is reference future events that we already know the outcome of. This looks just as terrible as Obi-Wan was, and that was among some of the worse of Star Wars we've ever gotten.

Isnt that the star wars prequels? We know the outcome of the prequels as well, but I think Andor being a spy political thriller about the formation of the rebel alliance is very cool. We are seeing brand new planets, characters, etc, it looks gorgeous, as long as the stakes and tension are appropriately built in the episode it should be great?

i mean just in terms of the trailer, I think it looks well shot and staged, a clear level beyond any of the volume productions, with some striking visuals. Just need the plotting to be tight.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 1, 2022

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Darth TNT posted:

It’s pretty funny how they specifically call out rogue one’s creators as being a part of this. I think most of the fandom has reached a consensus that Rogue one at least feels StarWars and has a good finale.

Why is it funny that they reference the creators of Rogue One if you acknowledge that the fandom likes Rogue One? That seems like a pretty logical thing to do, especially when it has extremely obvious ties to Rogue One.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jerkface posted:

Isnt that the star wars prequels? We know the outcome of the prequels as well, but I think Andor being a spy political thriller about the formation of the rebel alliance is very cool. We are seeing brand new planets, characters, etc, it looks gorgeous, as long as the stakes and tension are appropriately built in the episode it should be great?

i mean just in terms of the trailer, I think it looks well shot and staged, a clear level beyond any of the volume productions, with some striking visuals. Just need the plotting to be tight.

You are correct, that was the prequels as well, and they were totally pointless movies. Andor could possibly be good, and do all of the right things, but I thought that about Obi-Wan too, those trailers hid what the show was really about, and that child Leia was going to be key to the whole thing, which ended up being a gigantic mistake. I won't bother watching Andor until all of the episodes have aired. Zero confidence in anything Star Wars related, not willing to give it a chance anymore until it proves itself, this thread will have to be positive on it.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

You are correct, that was the prequels as well, and they were totally pointless movies. Andor could possibly be good, and do all of the right things, but I thought that about Obi-Wan too, those trailers hid what the show was really about, and that child Leia was going to be key to the whole thing, which ended up being a gigantic mistake. I won't bother watching Andor until all of the episodes have aired. Zero confidence in anything Star Wars related, not willing to give it a chance anymore until it proves itself, this thread will have to be positive on it.

Personally I don't think the prequals were pointless but Solo completely was. Other than Kenobi I really wish they would stop with the prequals and just focus on stuff in the present Mandoverse.

Because the sequels don't exist. :colbert:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

thrawn527 posted:

Chris Roberts destroying his own franchise with that movie has always been insane to me. I remember leaving the theater, thinking, "What rear end in a top hat ruined poor Chris Roberts' Wing Commander? Oh, it was Chris Roberts. Well, poo poo."

It's loving incredible. Also, lmao that he thought this would be interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9WFw56Mv1w

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

I said come in! posted:

Just give up now lol.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

It only took two and a half years from people going bugfuck about how good the Volume looked on the Mando premiere to being full "Oh no, man, it doesn't have the warmth of vinyl" snobs about it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I mean surely you have to blame the obi wan show for that and not the audience for being snobs. I think before the obi wan show repeatedly glaringly used it badly and showed its limitations, most people ITT didn't even know what the volume was

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Madurai posted:

It only took two and a half years from people going bugfuck about how good the Volume looked on the Mando premiere to being full "Oh no, man, it doesn't have the warmth of vinyl" snobs about it.

I think, like any tech, it comes down to the implementation. Most people dont realize The Batman used the volume quite a bit to supplement the sets. The volume work on The Mandalorian is generally pretty impressive. Then you get rushed covid production shows like BOBF and Obi Wan where you're like "ok they're fighting in a perfect flat ground circle with 1 rock in it that is surrounded by a circle of stones off in the distance... this is the volume".

One only needs to look at the Robert Rodriguez episode of Mando to know that location shooting doesnt look amazing by default either. It all comes down to the production design, cinematographer, and the director's vision for the scene.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

I mean surely you have to blame the obi wan show for that and not the audience for being snobs. I think before the obi wan show repeatedly glaringly used it badly and showed its limitations, most people ITT didn't even know what the volume was

I have no idea which shots you're talking about.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Madurai posted:

Even when dorks were posting screenshots of the "bad lighting" it was impossible for a normal person to see what the gently caress they were talking about.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Without ill will, if you thought the obi wan show looked fine, we just have different standards and we're not going to convince each other. Enjoy the star wars products, they were made for you

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Madurai posted:

the entire final fight is on a volume set. Its very noticeable when the set is pretty barren outside of the "surroundings" - so you have Vader and obi basically fighting on a circle of flat ground and anything interesting is 20 ft+ away from them.

The best usage of it is building some physical sets and using the volume to extend or expand it. Also because the volume limits your ability to film at certain distances (the vista you see is not real, so you can't film from far away, etc) it can make a lot of the desert scenes look a little jank which was noticeable in BOBF and Obi.

Edit: Episode 5 is also all volume sets! The one where there are like 20 storm troopers just standing around a completely barren floor mindlessly shooting at a door with all the "set" dressing conveniently located 5 feet away from everyone!

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 1, 2022

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Madurai posted:

I'd have to go back through the show to screengrab (lol not doing that) but

jisforjosh posted:

The mismatched lighting here jumped out like crazy

It's one of those things that when done well with a good cinematographer (like most special effects), it looks great and you don't even notice it. Most of The Batman shots that use The Volume are great

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

Why is it funny that they reference the creators of Rogue One if you acknowledge that the fandom likes Rogue One? That seems like a pretty logical thing to do, especially when it has extremely obvious ties to Rogue One.

I just think it’s funny due to the perceived quality of the whole host of other movies.
And based on how Disney has been doing things, prepare for a tidal wave of rogue one adjacent stuff if this is halfway good.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Jerkface posted:

Isnt that the star wars prequels? We know the outcome of the prequels as well, but I think Andor being a spy political thriller about the formation of the rebel alliance is very cool.

How many things are Disney going to make that involve the origins of the Rebel Alliance? Star Wars: Rebels spent a good bit of it's run time on being about the formation of the Rebel Alliance, Rogue One invoked it too via Saw and Jyn banding Cassian and company into a more cohesive whole or something, Obi-Wan had some hints about it via "the Path"; there are probably others I've forgotten about or missed. Hasn't it formed yet? Or are they just going to have a story covering every inch of it's formation? Will there be a show in a decades time about C3-P0 recording meetings as Mon Motha works out logistics for 40 minutes, with a gripping finale where they sign a document certifying everything before the blue milk goes off?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Solo a star wars story also had the freckled lady using some hyperfuel to start the rebellion, or something. If I'm giving andor the benefit of the doubt, having been started like 10 times, it seems like the rebellion could be basically underway at that point

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

the force unleashed did it too and im sure it was done in the old canon before that, but its always some variant of the same: mon mothma, bail organa, and maybe jan dodonna if they remember him get together with the main character and his merry gang of tritagonists in a CGI board room and decide it's about darn time someone does something dangit.

Ice Cube Jr. will probably show up this go around so hey there is that

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
https://gizmodo.com/star-wars-andor-locations-diego-luna-rogue-one-pinewood-1849355211

Apparently Andor did not use the Volume.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

aw man, i just looked up poor jan and pretty much the first thing disney did with the new canon was immediately murder him the second the battle of yavin 4 ended.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
i keep wanting to inject something into the Volume using The Nozzle

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

Without ill will, if you thought the obi wan show looked fine, we just have different standards and we're not going to convince each other. Enjoy the star wars products, they were made for you

More specifically, extremely low standards.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Epi Lepi posted:

Even when dorks were posting screenshots of the "bad lighting" it was impossible for a normal person to see what the gently caress they were talking about.

Madurai posted:

historically dorks nerds et al have been the people who consume whatever slop theyre given so long as it has their favorite wacky space wizard IP, but i do love this attempt by dumb people to flip the board

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Calling it now: Andor’s going to be good, aside from the usual Prestige TV bloat. The trailer’s already more cinematic than anything else released thus far.

Halloween Jack posted:

The other funny thing is that this is apparently backed up by all the stupid tie-in novels.

The Disney-EU is a clusterfuck but, since they largely attempt to explain what the hell is going on in the messy films, they are sometimes able to provide an accurate interpretation. It’s simply not possible for the baddies of Episodes 7 and 8 to be external invaders.

Of course, EU is also used to ‘retcon’ undesirable content, so we end up with petulant sadist robo-Anakin versus Jedi as a persecuted ethnic group. They’re not reliable sources.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
someone mentioned the force unleashed earlier and gotta say the first one (idk if there were more) was badass

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
was the battlefront 2 campaign worth a drat?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Smythe posted:

Eh, it was fine. Pretty good, even. Decent story. Some fun cameos. But definitely not a "complete game", or anything. (Something like 6 hours to complete, I think?) The multiplayer is still the star.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm bad at videogames, but I had some fun with it, for something designed to be multiplayer.

If you're wondering how it plays into the larger story: right before Palpatine died, he had a bunch of resources moved to the Unknown Regions (where Exegol is) instead of using those resources to stop the Rebellion from killing him. So that kinda explains the fleet on Exegol. After he died, he had a failsafe set up to bomb some of the most loyal Imperial planets, for no reason. The idea is that it was punishment for failing him (because they didn't build enough ships to stop the Rebellion and literally bury a fleet in the rear end-end of the galaxy). But c'mon, it's Sheev. He did it because it was funny.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

thrawn527 posted:

Eh, it was fine. Pretty good, even. Decent story. Some fun cameos. But definitely not a "complete game", or anything. (Something like 6 hours to complete, I think?) The multiplayer is still the star.

ah, ty

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Smythe posted:

I enjoyed it, but it let me play ROTJ Luke the way ROTJ Luke should be played. His encounter with Del Meeko (one of the other Imperials) was probably my favorite part of the game, story-wise.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Bogus Adventure posted:

I enjoyed it, but it let me play ROTJ Luke the way ROTJ Luke should be played. His encounter with Del Meeko (one of the other Imperials) was probably my favorite part of the game, story-wise.

Agreed, that was one of the highlights of the story, for sure.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

Agreed, that was one of the highlights of the story, for sure.

That, and the one mission where you get the interplay between Lando and... Shriv? (something like that, the Duros officer who's the announcer for the Rebels during multiplayer)

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Smythe posted:

someone mentioned the force unleashed earlier and gotta say the first one (idk if there were more) was badass

They did a second one. It had four levels, removed a lot of the physics playground stuff the first one had, and ended on the never-resolved cliffhanger of Vader getting captured by the Rebels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Robot Style posted:

They did a second one. It had four levels, removed a lot of the physics playground stuff the first one had, and ended on the never-resolved cliffhanger of Vader getting captured by the Rebels.

Did it really only have four levels? I know I played it, but I don't remember much about it (outside of the mentioned cliffhanger). That might explain why I forgot everything else about it.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 1, 2022