Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for movies about military... in countries they're not supposed to be in

Well you know any movie featuring the US military hurhur

Actually Three Kings though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for movies about military/law enforcement black ops: specifically military and or law enforcement operating in countries they're not supposed to be in/not allowed in.

Assume you've seen it but Apocalypse Now fits the bill.

There's also Spartan, but a lot of that is domestic.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Zero Effect is about the world's best private investigator who is a train wreck in all other areas of his life. It's a comedy/drama/mystery, so maybe not what you're after. However, it is wonderful.

Seconding this, Bill Pullman is channeling Nicholas Cage and Ben Stiller is fairly restrained, which works for him.

As for me, I'm looking for any movie that has the eerie vibe of The Wailing, it's been one of my favorites in the past month and I just know there's others like it out there somewhere but how do you google that without getting results like "just watch True Detective" or somesuch

Looking for small town murder mysteries, ghost stories, stuff like that but with the slow burn creeping dread The Wailing pulled off. Doesn't have to be Korean, a film with a decent dub is preferred but not a dealbreaker

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone know any good documentaries or movies about Native Americans? I watched Clearcut and that was great

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I've got kind of a particular request:

I'm looking for a movie set in the 1870s-1880s that depicts a sizeable old west town, preferably California. Like, something around fifty thousand people, a place that's already been built up after the peak of the Gold Rush has passed.

A friend of mine's running a pen & paper game set in 1871 central California, so I'm watching Westerns to get myself in the mood, but Tombstone and Hill Valley just aren't very large towns.

Any ideas?

edit: Looking at population figures for Stockton, 50k is probably too high, and I should've said more like 10k-20k people. But still, some actual built-up Old West town/city, not just a half dozen dirt streets.

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 31, 2022

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Dead Man has a portion that has a big town, but it's maybe only about twenty minutes of the movie.

That's the only one I can think of that takes place in the west :(edit: actually the town in Dead Man might be too small

worms butthole guy fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 31, 2022

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Vavrek posted:

I'm looking for a movie set in the 1870s-1880s that depicts a sizeable old west town, preferably California. Like, something around fifty thousand people, a place that's already been built up after the peak of the Gold Rush has passed.

A friend of mine's running a pen & paper game set in 1871 central California, so I'm watching Westerns to get myself in the mood, but Tombstone and Hill Valley just aren't very large towns.

Any ideas?

edit: Looking at population figures for Stockton, 50k is probably too high, and I should've said more like 10k-20k people. But still, some actual built-up Old West town/city, not just a half dozen dirt streets.

Did the Coen Bros True Grit have any larger town scenes? Or News Of The World? I feel like they might have.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well, not exactly what you're looking for but it might be fun to check out some Bonanza episodes which prominently feature Virginia City, Nevada. It's 1860s but probably "close enough." It's a post-goldrush town of ~25,000 so it would probably inspire well.

e: or Gunsmoke featuring Dodge City since that was 1870s, but that's Kansas so it might not quite fit what you want despite being a frontier town. But it's also probably close enough for your purposes.

Either show will probably feature a large volume of settings which would be fun to pull from compared to a movie.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 31, 2022

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Cool, thanks for the recommendations. I'll check those out. Partly, this is me thinking "man, there's a lot of great westerns I've never seen." (I have seen almost no westerns.)

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I've seen a moderate amount of westerns and I don't think I could name a single one that had a city in it to be fair

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Does Walker count? That does

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Vavrek posted:

Any ideas?

I feel like this town isn't quite as built up as you'd like but hey it's an excuse to post one of the best shots in any Western ever. Also definitely an inspiration to one of the establishing shots in Back to the Future III.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdL__zuZvpA

The aforementioned shot is about 4 minutes in. The movie is Once Upon A Time in the West.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
TV show and not a movie but Deadwood is sort of explicitly about the building of a town like this. In real life the population of the town was upwards of 25k at the time the show was set, though it feels a bit smaller in the show.

Been a minute since I saw the movie, but that's set a few decades later when the town is even more established. Would be kind of impenetrable without having seen the show though.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Maybe The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford? It has some scenes in more populated towns/areas and is set a little later than usual westerns so its a little more "built up", though I must warn you its a few scenes moreso than the whole movie

It's a tough question because usually by the time towns are built up to a certian size they stop being good settings/locations for Western movies.

edit: I'd second Deadwood as well, it's the closest I can think of what you want though this is an interesting question so ima keep looking!

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 1, 2022

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like this town isn't quite as built up as you'd like but hey it's an excuse to post one of the best shots in any Western ever. Also definitely an inspiration to one of the establishing shots in Back to the Future III.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdL__zuZvpA

The aforementioned shot is about 4 minutes in. The movie is Once Upon A Time in the West.

Another Leone, Duck You Sucker (A Fist Full of Dynamite) features fully built up cities, but they are in Mexico so the architecture and vibe is pretty different.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

DeimosRising posted:

Another Leone, Duck You Sucker (A Fist Full of Dynamite) features fully built up cities, but they are in Mexico so the architecture and vibe is pretty different.

It's also set in the 1910s or so

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Looking for movies about fighters/boxers/wrestlers that focus on redemption or comebacks

Some of what I've enjoyed:

-Southpaw
-The Fighter
-Jungleland
-The Wrestler
-Homeboy
-Raging Bull
-A Prayer Before Dawn

and of course the Rocky movies. Foreign films are welcome but I'm not looking for Bruce Lee/Ip Man style choreographed martial arts, more slugfests

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for movies about fighters/boxers/wrestlers that focus on redemption or comebacks

-Southpaw
-The Fighter
-Jungleland
-The Wrestler
-Homeboy
-Raging Bull
-A Prayer Before Dawn

and of course the Rocky movies. Foreign films are welcome but I'm not looking for Bruce Lee/Ip Man style choreographed martial arts, more slugfests

Check out the Undisputed series. The first one is decent but you can really start with Undisputed II where they cast Michael Jai White and Scott Adkins. The series has some great slugfests, and plenty of redemption and comebacks, although they're definitely more action focused compared to something like Rocky/The Fighter/The Wrestler.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Warrior is great. Just went back up on HBO Max.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

-Southpaw
-The Fighter
-Jungleland
-The Wrestler
-Homeboy
-Raging Bull
-A Prayer Before Dawn

I’ll second the Undisputed series, fun movies.

https://boxd.it/tX36 Sarpatta Parambarai is one I liked a lot. Takes a while to get to the comeback part and the hero’s downfall is a little bit tedious but it’s otherwise fantastic. https://www.amazon.com/Sarpatta-Par...ps%2C157&sr=8-2

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

-Southpaw
-The Fighter
-Jungleland
-The Wrestler
-Homeboy
-Raging Bull
-A Prayer Before Dawn

Your mileage may vary but I enjoyed Cinderella Man, Bayou Caviar, Million Dollar Baby and Hands of Stone

for a sci-fi version, Real Steel has boxing but with robots

oceanside
Nov 4, 2009
I just rewatched Stone Reader and am interested in watching more documentaries about people searching for things/people. Any recs appreciated, thank you!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Resurrect Dead might scratch your itch! It's about tracking down the mystery behind/source of some mysterious cryptic tiles that have popped up embedded in streets all over the world for decades.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

oceanside posted:

I just rewatched Stone Reader and am interested in watching more documentaries about people searching for things/people. Any recs appreciated, thank you!

Lost Boys (2020) is a documentary about a person trying to find his friend and/or what happened to his friend in Cambodia. Really interesting, though heartbreaking, doc.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Try Loot and Searching for Sugar Man.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I rewatched The Mummy (1999) the other day and I was wondering if you knew similar campy adventure-horrory movies. Pirates of the Caribbean and the indiana jones films are the only ones that I feel come close :(

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Like... good ones?

Rocketeer. The first half of Captain America 1. Perils of Gwendolyn. Operation Condor. Jungle Raiders. Several episodes of Young Indiana Jones (Attack of the Hawkmen, Phantom Train of Doom, Daredevils of the Desert, Treasure of the Peacock's Eye), maybe those animated French Tintin movies from the 70s, uh........

e: Here's a pretty comprehensive list but most of them are bad.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 14, 2022

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

yeah preferably good ones :D

i'll check that list & imdb for some well regarded ones.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The National Treasure movies are a lot of fun.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Timby posted:

The National Treasure movies are a lot of fun.

ehhh I never felt like the threat in those movies was ever convincingly "real" if that makes sense. It felt a little too safe.
I think part of the issue is also that those movies are set in present day USA, which is too comfortably familiar.

double nine fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 14, 2022

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Dead Snow movies, then. :v:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah I can't get into the National Treasures or Jumanjis or whatever. Too cartoony.

If you're interested in older stuff that's not as camp or self-aware, I made this list. But most of them are serials. If you wanna go down that route, Secret Service in Darkest Africa rules.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 14, 2022

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The last Lovecraft

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
8 legged freaks

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

double nine posted:

I rewatched The Mummy (1999) the other day and I was wondering if you knew similar campy adventure-horrory movies. Pirates of the Caribbean and the indiana jones films are the only ones that I feel come close :(

Romancing the Stone
Sahara
Hildago
that CG Tin Tin movie was dope
Jungle Cruise (don't laugh, i was as surprised as anyone!)
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Kvlt! posted:

-Southpaw
-The Fighter
-Jungleland
-The Wrestler
-Homeboy
-Raging Bull
-A Prayer Before Dawn

Seconding Warrior (if you haven't watched it already as this post is three weeks old) and adding Hard Times (1975). It's Walter Hill's first movie and stars Charles Bronson as a bare-knuckle boxer in depression-era New Orleans and James Coburn as his gambling-addicted manager/promoter. The fights are great, very well choreographed for a movie of its vintage.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Movie set in a multi engine bomber; not Shadow in the Cloud.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

habituallyred posted:

catch-22?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

habituallyred posted:

Memphis Belle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Spielberg directed an hourlong Amazing Stories episode with Kevin Costner and Kiefer Sutherland called The Mission that’s set entirely on a B-17 bomber. I remember it having an ending that, even as a small kid, was stupid as hell though