Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

sebmojo posted:

Then it turns out the beer is turning people into were rats

Ideally come up with arenas where people can have entertaining fights, knock each other off high things and set stuff on fire

Fire at the brewery makes for explosive good fun all around.

Are you fighting in the mostly wooden front end that has the large open multistory party area or the stone reinforced backend that is a large multistory open area filled with explosive red barrels wooden casks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.

Rutibex posted:

I would run some kind of whimsical sandbox game, like the carnival from The Wild Beyond the Witchlight. But put some kind of twist on it, like a murder mystery. Don't make it obvious you have changed anything, run the carnival straight up and try to give the impression this is your best effort as a new DM. Make your friends take pity on you and lull them into a false sense of security, than *bam* :twisted:

Pickled Tink posted:

Start out with something simple so you can get the hang of it and get some confidence, with a mix of skills, interaction, and maybe some combat.

Something simple like being hired by the town to deal with some dire rats messing up a brewery. Some skill checks and talking with witnesses on site to determine that their nest is in the basement of a nearby building, then dealing with the recalcitrant owner who doesn't believe that they could be coming from his basement before moving onto the cleansing of the basement of rats.

pog boyfriend posted:

i recommend any other system. aside from being utterly horrible, pathfinder 1st edition is not friendly to new GMs at all as it requires an obscene amount of effort to create any sort of combat encounter and rules adjudications are very finicky. it took me about 3 years to be able to actually comfortably run the system.

if you like more rules heavy play, dnd 4e or pf2e are better choices, but i would rather recommend a new DM do something rules light in my eyes. for fantasy play, a lot of OSR titles are great(i am partial to OSE, the black hack 2.0, and dungeon crawl classics), there are pbta systems like dungeon world(admittedly kind of mid) and fellowship 2e which are great. of course 5e is ubiquitous and also there is icon made by the creators of lancer which i have not tried yet but plutonis thinks is sick

Tosk posted:

Run a good module you like. If your players aren't new and you know your system well, no need for it to be an introductory adventure or anything.

Running a premade module will significantly reduce prep compared to homebrew, for most DMs (I know there are people who improv everything and my advice will not be pertinent to that style). You don't need to follow the story at all. I haven't read any Paizo material in ages, but I doubt their fantasy is any less generic than WotC, so you'll probably find that the module is basically just a convenient skeleton for whatever actual ideas you have to flesh out the narrative.

I think that a really good example of someone overhauling an official campaign and putting it out for others to use is this remix of a D&D 5e adventure path, Dragon Heist. In general, I like the Alexandrian as a source of tips for dms, taking into account that he favors a more classic style so not everything may be applicable to your gaming table. He obviously presents everything in a very coherent and structured way that will almost certainly not resemble your prep in any way the first several times you play, but it can be a nice template.

As far as the adventure itself, the most general tips I would feel comfortable suggesting to almost anyone:

a) Don't prep your session as a linear story, think of encounters/scenes as vignettes that can be arranged in different sequences to reflect the possibilities of sandbox play. Some other soft suggestions to avoid blatantly railroading: let the story work for you sometimes - for example, develop an idea for your awesome tomb, then instead of sending your players to it, wait for there to be a reason for a tomb to show up. Alternatively, I think it's fine to occasionally prep a location or encounter and just insert it wherever the party decides to go, regardless of what path they end up choosing, but this is kind of just invisible railroading so use that resource judiciously.

b) Key your dungeons: if you're in a dungeon with a map, label your rooms with numbers and describe what's in each. Make an "adversary roster," just a table that lists every enemy, their location, and anything noteworthy about their behavior or situation (4 Goblins, 2 Hobgoblins / Room 1 / fighting over leftover newt stew). This is just an organizational tip that has been very helpful for me in the past, and it used to be described in the core rulebooks but I started DMing in a vacuum and only stumbled into tips on how to actually run dungeons much later.

c) Try to write summaries after your sessions to keep track of details that may have come up and which you might be prone to forget. I try to keep a 'party to-do list' with the group's goals, noting each individual character's goals if appropriate.

Thank you for all your advice! I might try running a module first before I start into my own homebrew setting just to get the hang of it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

pog boyfriend posted:

eh, even player going to GM was really rough. one of my players tried this and found it absolutely miserable because of the amount of GM specific work for prep. basic fantasy is another good OSR title though, and mostly all OSR games can be used with 1e modules too

I ran pathfinder but just fudged the poo poo out of the monsters so they were closer to 4e style . Having every monster be built to be rules legal as a character is just crazy.

Interestingly rolemaster the ur-grog system and progenitor of 3e and pf doesn't bother with complex monsters, you can describe nearly all of their monsters in a line.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Curious what is the general consensus on good hooks/methods to transition a one-shot into a longer form campaign. I'm wrapping up a one-shot with some friends and they want to expand it to a full campaign (I have plenty of campaigns to use/cobble together) but am struggling on thinking of a suitably satisfying way to justify how they just finished the one-shot and are now doing something completely different without it feeling....awkward?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Little time skip of a few weeks usually does the trick. Think of the one-shot as the intro sequence of a James Bond film*. Make intro credits to run between games if you have to.

*I watched my last Bond film in the 2000s do they even still

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

My Lovely Horse posted:

Little time skip of a few weeks usually does the trick. Think of the one-shot as the intro sequence of a James Bond film*. Make intro credits to run between games if you have to.

*I watched my last Bond film in the 2000s do they even still

yeah, this. if you need interstitial stuff do it as a cut scene, with 'ok player one, omg the party is in a pickle because you ....? that's right! luckily player 2 you were there to save they day by ...? unfortunately that meant ...! thank god player 3 was there to...?' then play a theme song.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mekchu posted:

Curious what is the general consensus on good hooks/methods to transition a one-shot into a longer form campaign. I'm wrapping up a one-shot with some friends and they want to expand it to a full campaign (I have plenty of campaigns to use/cobble together) but am struggling on thinking of a suitably satisfying way to justify how they just finished the one-shot and are now doing something completely different without it feeling....awkward?

Time skip 10 years into the future and channel that awkward scene from attack of the clones between Anaken and Obiwan. Tell the PCs they have been on countless adventurers togeather since the one shot, and are now best of friends forever

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know why I didn't just think of a time skip :cripes:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Have a mysterious person see their work and recruit them for some sort of organization

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mekchu posted:

I don't know why I didn't just think of a time skip :cripes:
If the big adventure has any kind of initial hook, you can put that at the end of the one-shot. I'd still do the skip.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I played in a game where the DM went " well, it's been (rolls dice) four weeks and you burned through all the money you earned adventuring. It turns out running an INN isn't as easy as you thought, and the damage from rowdy transients really takes a toll on the bottom line. After one fateful night when a group of four tough looking rowdies came through, a fire broke out and now your investment and retirement opportunity is gone. As you are reaching out to the contacts you made when fighting the ORIGINAL BBEG, you cash in on some favors and through a series of fortuitous chance encounters and knowing the right people, you are introduced to PERSON who works for ORGANIZATION. They are investigating NEW PLOT HOOK and are willing to offer you work that you are particularly suited for. "

And that was that.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I gave the group a freebie level and had them come up with an explanation for how they earned it with the caveat that it'll serve as the groups cast off into the open ocean of the campaign rather than constraints of a one shot.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Last week my players found an underwater dungeon and I cut them off for the night. I don't know any underwater dungeons, any help? I'd love some example modules if those exist. I am prepared to poo poo out a random Donjon map full of sharks and Mermen, but that seems too boring

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Rutibex posted:

Last week my players found an underwater dungeon and I cut them off for the night. I don't know any underwater dungeons, any help? I'd love some example modules if those exist. I am prepared to poo poo out a random Donjon map full of sharks and Mermen, but that seems too boring

The Final Enemy chapter of Ghosts of Saltmarsh is a Sahuagin base (which was actually a lizardfolk lair they conquered and are actively renovating/sinking) is 3 floors, the bottom 2 of which are all submerged. They could enter at the bottom and fight their way to the surface, or just cut out the surface level. Also, it's kinda written in a weird "Go in and scout their standing army, try not and engage their actual standing army" format, so adjust accordingly.

Or just take any dungeon you like, come up with a strange reason it got thrown into the sea and pick a few aquatic monsters that have moved in. I once made a minotaurs maze that got flooded by a broken Decanter of Endless water opening a portal to the plane of water. An aboleth dominated the minotaur, which has the handy side effect of letting it breathe underwater. I believe I also had the party stalked by a glass shark, shits pretty much invisible.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
Treat it like a normal dungeon with very wet terrain obstacles and then plant a few opportunities that if any of them have strong swimming skills or underwater breathing they can take advantage of.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Neon Knight posted:

The Final Enemy chapter of Ghosts of Saltmarsh is a Sahuagin base (which was actually a lizardfolk lair they conquered and are actively renovating/sinking) is 3 floors, the bottom 2 of which are all submerged. They could enter at the bottom and fight their way to the surface, or just cut out the surface level. Also, it's kinda written in a weird "Go in and scout their standing army, try not and engage their actual standing army" format, so adjust accordingly.

Or just take any dungeon you like, come up with a strange reason it got thrown into the sea and pick a few aquatic monsters that have moved in. I once made a minotaurs maze that got flooded by a broken Decanter of Endless water opening a portal to the plane of water. An aboleth dominated the minotaur, which has the handy side effect of letting it breathe underwater. I believe I also had the party stalked by a glass shark, shits pretty much invisible.

Oh thanks! I'll check out that module, it sounds like a perfect inspiration. Unfortunately I can't use an Aboleth for the boss (the obvious choice) because I ran a half-sunken ship scenario a few months ago with an Aboleth boss. I don't want my players thinking I'm a hack :v:

Harold Fjord posted:

Treat it like a normal dungeon with very wet terrain obstacles and then plant a few opportunities that if any of them have strong swimming skills or underwater breathing they can take advantage of.

The dungeon is a crashed submarine, so I could actually have areas with air pockets. Though I was kind of planning to have it entirely submerged. One of the characters recently learned how to brew water breathing potions so this is her moment to shine. They are level 6.

I guess I'm just looking for a few "underwater" type puzzles or traps. A lot of typical dungeon puzzles would be weird if they were under water.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
I see. So you can do things where everything is on its side or even upside down and that might affect basic puzzle operation.

Puzzles/traps could involve float bobbers or failsafe mechanisms that need to be cleared of water before the door will open.

You can mix these things and need the characters to somehow refloat the submarine before a specific door opens.

Generally in my experience with water puzzles involves trying to fill or drain specific things. You can easily adapt any kind of aerial puzzle though.

LadyThorne
Dec 12, 2005
The lazy
If the doors are powered, opening them could flood compartments, sweeping the party into the room [and the traps and monsters] if they're not holding onto anything.

Also a classic structure for this kind of thing I've done a few times to good result is first going through the place unpowered and spooky, needing to activate reactor/magic doodad to restore power to open important door or do objective, then the ship comes back to life, automated defenses, intruder alert, etc. They do it in horror movies a lot.

LadyThorne fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 3, 2022

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Harold Fjord posted:

I see. So you can do things where everything is on its side or even upside down and that might affect basic puzzle operation.

Puzzles/traps could involve float bobbers or failsafe mechanisms that need to be cleared of water before the door will open.

You can mix these things and need the characters to somehow refloat the submarine before a specific door opens.

Generally in my experience with water puzzles involves trying to fill or drain specific things. You can easily adapt any kind of aerial puzzle though.

LordThorn posted:

If the doors are powered, opening them could flood compartments, sweeping the party into the room [and the traps and monsters] if they're not holding onto anything.

:hmmyes:
Oh I hadn't thought about it being on it's side or up side down! This is perfect I can do a bunch of rooms with air and a bunch of flooded rooms, with pressure differentials preventing the doors from opening until they repair the pumps or something..... Throw in a few Mermen and sharks, maybe a room full of diesel fuel in the water and some broken electrical wires and we have ourselves a dungeon.

Thanks!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
Currents in general are really fun way to mess with players and I can't believe I forgot them.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
The biggest dick move you can probably do in a completely underwater room is to stick a water elemental in there.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pickled Tink posted:

The biggest dick move you can probably do in a completely underwater room is to stick a water elemental in there.

That is a pretty dick move, but I think the biggest dick move would be a spellcaster who uses Water Walk offensively :twisted:

quote:

If your target a creature submerged in a liquid, the spell carries the target to the surface of the liquid at a rate of 60 feet per round.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The biggest dick move is to give them the water temple from Ocarina.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Rutibex posted:

That is a pretty dick move, but I think the biggest dick move would be a spellcaster who uses Water Walk offensively :twisted:

What are the rules for the bends again?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Dienes posted:

What are the rules for the bends again?

Would a target get the bends if you teleported them from crushing depths directly to somewhere with a "normal" atmospheric pressure?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

change my name posted:

Would a target get the bends if you teleported them from crushing depths directly to somewhere with a "normal" atmospheric pressure?

They'd get even worse bends.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pickled Tink posted:

Fill it with water weirds, they don't get enough love

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I had a puzzle in an underwater dungeon that was simply a strong current flowing upwards out of a hole they wanted to go down. A small and light character got pushed up to the ceiling, medium sized just kind of floated there, character in full plate started to sink downwards very very slowly.

Party of kids: “It’s because I’m heavy and you’re not! Everyone grab some rocks!”

Party of adults: “Something started to pull me downwards, but not you. Could this be related to those dreams we had? We need to find out what’s causing this” followed by a good hour of pissing about with magic items tied to bits of string, wasted spell slots, multiple requests to use skills in increasingly bizarre ways, and excellent perception checks leading to the conclusion that whatever’s down there “must be really good at hiding”. Eventually as the session came to an end, and after lots of coaxing, they finally reached the conclusion… “It’s because I’m heavy and you’re not! Everyone grab some rocks!”

Sanford fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Aug 4, 2022

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Magic hole with upflowing current. But no matter what you carry, it doesn't seem to affect how much you sink.

It's because it's the weight of your sins that matter. That's right, only evil folk allowed.

Alternatively, only the weight of sins for a particular god who has weird hangups about, like, mixed fabrics and eating turnips.

Edit: Okay I am definitely using this in my next adventure.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Morpheus posted:

Magic hole with upflowing current. But no matter what you carry, it doesn't seem to affect how much you sink.

It's because it's the weight of your sins that matter. That's right, only evil folk allowed.

I'm sure this will immediately cause the party to start arguing once certain people sink and others don't

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

They're going to start taking enemies to the sin hole to determine if it's okay to kill them, and then they'll design and establish a court system around it.

e: probably install a shredder in the hole for expedience. If you go in the hole, you deserve it.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Any resources for having player run business? Playing 5e but any resources would be great.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Any resources for having player run business? Playing 5e but any resources would be great.

this sort of thing you need to approach pretty cautiously - the first step is asking every player how engaged they are with the idea. there are varying levels of interest and how much crunch players are willing to invest in. if one person is gung ho, 2 are mildly interested and the other 2 are going along for the ride, over time this can cause a lot of resentment while one person is playing fantasy accounting for half an hour and everyone else just sits around.

there are a lot of different resources(third party or otherwise) and exactly how detailed you want to be will change what the answer is. for 5e the most out of the box option is going to be using xgte rules

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

pog boyfriend posted:

this sort of thing you need to approach pretty cautiously - the first step is asking every player how engaged they are with the idea. there are varying levels of interest and how much crunch players are willing to invest in. if one person is gung ho, 2 are mildly interested and the other 2 are going along for the ride, over time this can cause a lot of resentment while one person is playing fantasy accounting for half an hour and everyone else just sits around.

there are a lot of different resources(third party or otherwise) and exactly how detailed you want to be will change what the answer is. for 5e the most out of the box option is going to be using xgte rules

I should say our game is a mix of foundry vtt and via discord for "downtime activities" so the business running won't take play time

I'll check out xgte

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I should say our game is a mix of foundry vtt and via discord for "downtime activities" so the business running won't take play time

I'll check out xgte

i also liked strongholds and followers for this if you want more in depth rules, especially if the players are doing downtime in a channel. would recommend their rules on establishments.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

pog boyfriend posted:

i also liked strongholds and followers for this if you want more in depth rules, especially if the players are doing downtime in a channel. would recommend their rules on establishments.

This is good advise if you business gets successful enough to require siege walls and a moat.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Rutibex posted:

This is good advise if you business gets successful enough to require siege walls and a moat.

the book also has rules for an "establishment", which are less fortressy and serves well for player ran business or guilds or whatever.

weast
Nov 7, 2012

im gming a game online for the first time, Fellowship, and i was wondering if people had any basic advice. ive gmed in person before with d&d but its my first time doing it online. should i just use roll20 or is it easier to just stick it all in discord? what are people's experiences?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
a VTT like roll20 is useful for games that have tactical / mini combat or other really complex position-based subsystems but i'm not sure i'd bother for something like Fellowship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weast
Nov 7, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

a VTT like roll20 is useful for games that have tactical / mini combat or other really complex position-based subsystems but i'm not sure i'd bother for something like Fellowship

the only reason i would is just to make it easier for people to manage character sheets i guess but that might not be enough of a concern?