Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
My favorite Joseph and Caesar cover art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Gruckles posted:

Diver Down pulled a classic prank on them by shoving Okuyasu through Josuke's abdomen.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Funky Valentine posted:

The greatest running gag Araki has is consistently giving Jonathan Caesar's headband.

Joseph crashed a couple planes so he's been banished to Wearing A Pilot's Hat

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

New chapter of Crazy Diamond's Demonic Heartbreak is up

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
If Josuke had a yen for each time he'd been attacked by a Stand User wielding a bow and arrow, he'd have two and a half yen.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

two and a half yen.

one of the more obnoxious sitcoms of the 2000's

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arbite posted:

Araki definitely made the right call to not have Hol Horse join the Crusaders at the time, I'm already thinking 'just line up a shot...

Yep, that was all it took.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I still can’t believe the way Jojolion ended. I’m really hoping Jojolands is more of a direct sequel than usual, cause Jojolion felt like it still needed one more arc.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Yeah it really needs to go beyond.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I still can’t believe the way Jojolion ended. I’m really hoping Jojolands is more of a direct sequel than usual, cause Jojolion felt like it still needed one more arc.

Araki actually broke the time rule ; _ ; (I still haven't read it all the way through, is the Coloured Adventure version ever going to be finished?)

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

PringleCreamEgg posted:

It probably will be. Part 1 didn't explain the true origin of the Stone mask, Part 3 didn't explain the true origin of the arrows (as dumb as it was) and part 7 didn't fully develop the whole curse-blessing concept besides Love Train.

Jojolands should be a more direct sequel in that case though.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think Part 7's worldbuilding stood on its own, there was a consistent throughline that Stands could only alter or exchange things in the SBRverse and couldn't freely create energy unlike the powers of the original continuity (which makes Tusk breaking that rule at the end of the arc such an important moment), it's like a Stand conservation of mass

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

PringleCreamEgg posted:

No. Leave it behind.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Id rather Araki leave behind jojolion because it definitely looked like he struggled with where to take it in the ending.

Besides its the longest running part and drat if im not tired of it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Didn't Araki say he just wanted Josuke and Yasuho to be happy when he put out the sudden rushed ending

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The very end of Jojolion with Gappy being accepted as part of the Higashikatas was great. Most of what came before it… not so much. I did like the Joseph flashback though. If Jojo Lands can retroactively make Jojolion better by addressing the hanging plot points I’m all for it being more directly connected, but otherwise I’d just like something that moves on.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/jjba_cursed/status/1555794051462582273

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Inaccurate, that should be a Union Jack

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The very end of Jojolion with Gappy being accepted as part of the Higashikatas was great. Most of what came before it… not so much. I did like the Joseph flashback though. If Jojo Lands can retroactively make Jojolion better by addressing the hanging plot points I’m all for it being more directly connected, but otherwise I’d just like something that moves on.

I don't think the story itself needs it that much. The mystery central was more or less addressed completely. Not particularly WELL addressed, mind you, but it works. Johnny tries to heal his child from a disease --> the holy corpse begins the family curse, forcing the family to transmit impending doom onto someone else, over and over again. We are missing a lot of details... Like how this transfer was supposed to take place. What did Kaato do to save Jobin? Clearly she fuckin murdered a child, but what's the mechanics here? How do the Higashikatas transfer the curse without any rokokokokokokokokokoka fruit? It's made clear in the story that this happens, but the details are left vague. This is something nice to know, but unnecessary. I think it should be left alone, unless the curse remains a fundamental topic of Part 9.

Honestly, at this point, the only thing I want from part 9 would be a central villain established early. Tooru got WAY too little time, even less than Diavolo, who happens to be the second-worst big bad. (jjjjjjup) Less of that aimless mystery, please.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

Johnny tries to heal his child from a disease --> the holy corpse begins the family curse

Is that when the curse started? I thought it the curse had always been plaguing the Higashikatas and Johnny just thought "hey wait a sec I have an idea" before losing his head

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

Is that when the curse started? I thought it the curse had always been plaguing the Higashikatas and Johnny just thought "hey wait a sec I have an idea" before losing his head

I am, 100%, guessing from context and I don't think it's ever made clear

He carries the holy corpse and his dying child, then uses Tusk to shoot himself. Presumably that leads to fate fuckery, coupled with Tusk's inescapable rotation: the Higashikatas can transfer fate somehow (a mercy from the corpse? It did lead to Lucy's harm-averting stand, after all), but it will always, always return to haunt the family: there is no escaping. Since we never learned otherwise, we can only assume that the rock crushing Johnny's head was just the very first act of a lethal fate being redirected. As far as I know, the Higashikatas never had any family curses until that incident.

So who the gently caress knows. Maybe the corpse did that. Maybe Tusk's involvement played a role. Maybe it's genuinely cured, now that Kaato used the perfected rokokoka fruit on Tooru and Tsurugi. None of this is ever spelled out, but for the emotional course of the story, it's not necessary.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I've recently been re-reading part 1 (by way of Jojo's Google Translated Adventure) and I think one of the things it does the very best out of all the parts by a mile, is strongly establishing the enmity between the jojo and villain. Dio beats the poo poo out of Jonathan several times and relentlessly fucks with his life at every turn, even manipulating simple social things like dinner so that he ends up a "winner" and Jonathan a "loser" in the eyes of his dad, to establish just how much of a piece of poo poo Dio is to his core, so that it really invests you in Jonathan's struggle against him.

Later parts invest you a bit too, part 2 does it really well, part 3 mainly rides on what part 1 established (it tries to use Holy for personal connection but that was unnecessary imo), part 4 has Kira affecting Josuke's life anonymously for a while, part 6 has Jolyne being actively stalked by Pucci, but in part 5 Diavolo's just kind of there as the end-boss because he's the guy at the top, the final obstacle, and I haven't finished part 8 yet but it seems like Tooru's whole thing isn't established for a long time. I think this lack of motivation and relationship with the main character is a big part of why those parts feel fundamentally weaker overall, even if other parts of it (individual scenes, fights, characters, etc) are very strong.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I hate that my favorite bit in part 8 is the entirely pointless Jobin side story with Millagro Man. This isn’t a condemnation of part 8 because I actually really liked it despite my complaints of the lack of cohesion and aimlessness. But Jobin loving sucks and it’s weird that Millagro Man was so good.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The fact that he got a very obvious chance to redeem himself that he didn't take was my favourite part of the finale

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I hate that my favorite bit in part 8 is the entirely pointless Jobin side story with Millagro Man. This isn’t a condemnation of part 8 because I actually really liked it despite my complaints of the lack of cohesion and aimlessness. But Jobin loving sucks and it’s weird that Millagro Man was so good.

That's not Jobin

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Joshu sucks so much not even his haters can remember his name.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Oh my bad. I knew it was Joshu but confused the name. Jobin was a good villain. Weird that they swapped him for Tooru as main antagonist.

If Tooru weren’t gone for 95% of the series he could have worked great.

Also, “are you a man of the sea or man of the land?” Is a cool and weird taunt

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Tooru was the last boss but I don’t think I’d consider him the main antagonist. I’d argue Jobin is still the closest thing to that we got.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

If you wanted to be generous you could argue that in a story with themes of identity and wanting to belong, Tooru is the antithesis to that. He's sort of a nothing character who shows up out of nowhere unannounced to claim the Final Boss spot for himself and his Stand prevents any and all attempts to get close to him.

Tooru IS the only character ever in Jojo to listen to his own music reference, so there's that, if nothing else.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Vanilla Ice definitely was thinking of the lyrics of Ice, Ice Baby when he killed Avdol. :v:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
https://twitter.com/Vishkujo/status/1558875217413521409

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You won't like him when he's Jotaro Kujo.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

He doesn't like remembering how Araki came over to his house and dropkicked him in front of his family.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I've gotten more entertainment value from people disowning the Phantom Blood movie than I ever would have gotten from the movie itself.

By all accounts the only good thing to come out that production was Voodoo Kingdom, and we got that separately.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's better this way, for it to be dead

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Here's a taste of the remedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MztTCT2PLC0

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Another hurdy gurdy.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Swilo posted:

Another hurdy gurdy.

They're critical to the plot

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/Dandeeck/status/1560425358608203776

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Wtf: https://twitter.com/Dandeeck/status/1560593691345326080?t=kE1ulfILfDcu87CVBKkeLw&s=19