Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Murderdome

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Tough Americans in southern States laugh at me. I am sweltering unbearably tonight, as the thermometer hits... 15-18 degrees celcius, though it is also very humid.

How the hell do you all cope with 25+ degrees at night? I have to sleep with no covers and a wet head to deal with even these very gently mild conditions.

HALP

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I grew up in 105+ degree summers with nonstop 100% humidity.

The key is to embrace the void and accept misery. With low enough expectations for being comfortable, you’ll learn how to sorta redneck zen your way past it.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Its just so fecking NASTY.
Every time I move, I get too warm, and a nice long walk is an intolerable roast.
God, please let autumn come nice and early. I want some fresh, brisk days where I can walk an easy 10 miles without boiling.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

We cope with powerful central air conditioning that flies in the face of nature and whatever God you believe in.

No one spends a second in the heat and humidity that they don't have to. We literally could not survive the summers down here without AC, and anyone who tells you otherwise is puffing themselves up.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Unsinkabear posted:

We cope with powerful central air conditioning that flies in the face of nature and whatever God you believe in.

No one spends a second in the heat and humidity that they don't have to. We literally could not survive the summers down here without AC, and anyone who tells you otherwise is puffing themselves up.

It's this. I set my thermostat to 72F and don't go out unless I have to. And I'm not in the worst of it, just in Kansas.

I start getting uncomfortable at anything above 80F.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Pookah posted:

Tough Americans in southern States laugh at me. I am sweltering unbearably tonight, as the thermometer hits... 15-18 degrees celcius, though it is also very humid.

How the hell do you all cope with 25+ degrees at night? I have to sleep with no covers and a wet head to deal with even these very gently mild conditions.

HALP

Australian shivering her way through winter here and instead of laughing at you I'm envying your cold resistance powers. For me 25c is the perfect temperature and I'll sleep happily under a sheet. My partner struggles a lot more with the heat though, and for him the only solution is to sleep with the air conditioning on.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is the bird coping? I noticed Sinbad actually panting while we waited in the car for someone the other day. It scared me so I took his travel cage out to a shaded spot, and there was a bit of breeze, and he quickly became visibly more comfortable. If it got that hot inside I'd have to put fans in his room or something.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Yeah it's 110% the A/C. Homeless people die in droves in those conditions here, too.

Best advice is what you're doing and also just have ice water ready at all times. Wash your face, take a cold shower. Hell, leave a cold bath ready to just dip in and air dry naked if you can stay in your own home. Swamp coolers if you have them.

They have cooling pillows, and blankets, and like towels you can charge that help if you need help cooling down to fall asleep. Or just do what I did for a while and shove soft ice packs on my head (the type that is hot/cold for injuries, but acts like soft frozen peas? That stuff is great).

Most of us aren't laughing. We'd probably fry without A/C too.

Edit: this might help humans and birds, but I love cold frozen snacks! I started using frozen fruit and veggies as snacks to help me cool off and it really helps me. Unsure if birds would want frozen blueberries or peas but it's worth trying?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I didn't mean to sound glib on the subject, as air conditioning is how people literally survive. But I spent a lot of summers in Lawrenceberg and Waynesboro, TN. Many of my old relatives where I stayed were without air conditioning, and it was hellish.

All joking aside, the key was a little counterintuitive some days. We'd stay outside, in the shade. In the middle of the day, a house can turn into a hotbox.

Also, find the best windows in your place to provide some airflow. Keeping the air circulating is a big part of it.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I live in a climate where air conditioning is still considered a luxury, even though it never used to get as hot as it now does! As such, my apartment has heat but no AC. I would definitely rather deal with a -40 coldsnap.

We're just coming off a heatwave with 35C weather (last year it hit 40 and I've never seen 40C weather in my life) and this is how I survived:

Windows open at night when it cools down, closed during the heat of the day.
If you can, a fan aimed outside, blowing the hot air out.
Blinds and/or curtains closed.
Periodic cold showers.
Damp cloths on the back of the neck.
A spray bottle to mist myself.
Sleep with an ice pack! I have a terrible back so if I need to ice my spine it can do double duty of making my life less terrible.
Chewing ice.
No cooking.

The birds do fine, of course. They just follow the siesta philosophy and snooze through the hottest part of the day with their wings slightly open to dissipate the heat. Every time Sera landed on me his feet were like lava.

Pictured: Ozzy, beating the heat.

RoboRodent fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 3, 2022

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Hi Ozzy

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

bee posted:

Australian shivering her way through winter here and instead of laughing at you I'm envying your cold resistance powers. For me 25c is the perfect temperature and I'll sleep happily under a sheet. My partner struggles a lot more with the heat though, and for him the only solution is to sleep with the air conditioning on.

I think it's an effect of having grown up in a largely unheated (nothing but open fires!), draughty old house with high ceilings. I'm most comfortable in the daytime at around 14-16 degrees, and I can only comfortably sleep in an unheated bedroom. I'd far far rather it was below zero at night than like it is right now.

The human ability to adapt to climate is pretty amazing. I was recently reading about a Russian city that's well up into the Arctic circle, and while the writer, a winter visitor from Europe could only physically tolerate being outside for 15 minutes at a time (in many layers of appropriate clothing) before it became intolerable painful, the locals could work outdoors all day, no problem.

Pookie is totally fine though, she's not at all bothered by the heat :unsmith:

Fortunately it never got as extraordinarily hot here as it did in the southeast of the UK. Over 40 degrees in London must have be hellish.

Edit: what's really weird and disturbing is that I live right on the coast - the sea is literally a couple of hundred feet from my bedroom window, so for nearly my whole life, even on very (relatively) hot days, I could expect a nice chilly sea breeze for most of the day, driven by the temperature differential between the air over the land versus the air over the sea. Every day, by about 10 am, warmer land air rose and was replaced by cooler sea air, then the breeze dropped in the evening, when the land cooled off.
That's plain not happening anymore - apparently it's all warm air now.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 4, 2022

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
So you'd think I'd learn by now not to leave my phone on counters when Mayo's out.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Gonna need some elaboration on that one, chief

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
My money is on Mayo bounce testing it but I’d like to think Mayo did a big Amazon order of treats and seed.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
She's just very quick and precise when deciding the phone would look best on the floor. I was standing right there and even then my reflexes were too slow.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
saved a baby seagull today. had a broken leg, and the old people in the place i work had been feeding it for a week. it just ate from the hand at this point, so a blanket plus a cardboard box later it got delivered to the Korkeasaari Animal Hospital on a state paid taxi ride. ill post pictures if they send me any

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
herring gulls usually nest in the building courtyard, so it was lucky for the seagull chick that their chicks had just taken wing a week earlier, otherwise the seagull fela woulda gotten pecked to death mighty quick

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I like seagulls

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
they bother corvids, so i am conflicted

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

for months I've been meaning to introduce my three goofballs to the thread

let's see if my attention span can make it this time

top to bottom: Aumy, ChitChit, LoLo

All girls by compete chance.

Aumy's the moody, territorial brat who loves biting the gently caress out of fingers whenever she's not in the best of moods (and sometimes even then), but she has her sweet moments. She loves to eat and to destroy and gets super fluffycute when you talk to her sweetly. She really is a good bird but it took me a while to figure her out.

ChitChit is the sweet one, gentle, very loving and totally unbossy for a girlbudg. We thought she was a boy before her cere changed just due to how flirty, friendly & sing-y she was. She's the one on top when she and Aumy get randy enough for those acrobatics.

LoLo's the newest of the flock. She's albino and sickeningly adorable. She came from the store actually hand-tame and accustomed to eating vegetables (which the others picked up from her, thankfully!!). She's easily the most well-adjusted of them all, absolutely the brightest, sassiest, funniest personality & is totally unbullyable. She just stands up real tall in response and makes sweet sounds and cute-wiggles at the other bird and they just get totally disarmed by her and run away. She's the bee's knees.

There, I finally did it!!

edit: well here's a video too I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgNAA42nTeE

Plastic Pal fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 5, 2022

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Plastic Pal posted:

Aumy's the moody, territorial brat who loves biting the gently caress out of fingers whenever she's not in the best of moods (and sometimes even then), but she has her sweet moments. She loves to eat and to destroy and gets super fluffycute when you talk to her sweetly. She really is a good bird but it took me a while to figure her out.

ChitChit is the sweet one, gentle, very loving and totally unbossy for a girlbudg. We thought she was a boy before her cere changed just due to how flirty, friendly & sing-y she was. She's the one on top when she and Aumy get randy enough for those acrobatics.

LoLo's the newest of the flock. She's albino and sickeningly adorable. She came from the store actually hand-tame and accustomed to eating vegetables (which the others picked up from her, thankfully!!). She's easily the most well-adjusted of them all, absolutely the brightest, sassiest, funniest personality & is totally unbullyable. She just stands up real tall in response and makes sweet sounds and cute-wiggles at the other bird and they just get totally disarmed by her and run away. She's the bee's knees.

:3: i love them all

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Plastic Pal posted:

That is one fine trio of ladybirbs you have there :3:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Plastic Pal posted:

:kimchi:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I love them and I have blown them each a kissy. It's also really cute that one budgie can introduce the others to veggies.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I love your sweet little flock of lovely boodge ladies. Please tell them all they are pretty birds.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Feed them some fingat for me

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Captain Log, I have an incredibly weird request: please could you take a picture of Serra's poop for me? RoboRodent, your Sera poop pic would also be appreciated.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Freckles is now sitting on her nest!

Weather permitting, she flies down to eat the food I bring her when I go past her nesting tree

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Qubee posted:

Captain Log, I have an incredibly weird request: please could you take a picture of Serra's poop for me? RoboRodent, your Sera poop pic would also be appreciated.

Asking a guy named Captain Log to post a picture of poop is hardly weird.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Plastic Pal posted:

Look at all these good sweet girls :3:
I especially love LoLo because I have personal experience of irritated budgie girls standing all tall and big to defeat silly big budgies.
Our Miss Lady had to stand very tall to defeat Puff Puff when he was being more than usually stupid. She had to bop him in the face to get him to move, and he never ever learned to not be massively in the way on every single occasion.

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

I have given the trio all of the posted sentiments -- naturally accompanied with millet -- and they crunch and crackle their regards. Thank you all for such a nice reception of my birdos. :lovebird:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Qubee posted:

She's bundled up for the night, so I'll see what I can rustle up tomorrow.

For what it's worth, her poops have been incredibly runny lately. Which is what happens when they get hormonal, per the avian vet.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Captain Log posted:

For what it's worth, her poops have been incredibly runny lately. Which is what happens when they get hormonal, per the avian vet.

Huh, it's nesting season for magpies here and I did notice that some of them have done runny shits recently (it's quite common for them to void right before approaching me for some food).

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Yeah I'll see about getting a good poop picture???? What are you even doing

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm a budgie whisperer, not a cockatiel whisperer, but this guy's poop that I'm babysitting seems weird. Though I have no idea what tiel poop is supposed to look like and surprisingly enough, google images doesn't really help.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Here's a Sunny poop:

They vary though. Usually in the morning they're more watery, this was taken at about 5pm after a busy day of floofing about, nibbling fresh grass seeds from the backyard and dispersing bird dust throughout the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm slightly glad I didn't get a cockatiel then. Their cuddliness is amazing, but their poops seem like a total nightmare to clean up after. My two budgeridoos will just plop out small little pick-up-able packages that don't stain or melt down whatever surface they pooped on.

I can imagine my apartment would quickly turn into a poop-stained wasteland if I had a tiel free flying about.