Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’d have liked to see a real remake. I like the original a lot but the combat is clunky as gently caress, and the level geometry is really simplistic even by 2003 standards. You were also rather limited in what the game would allow you to mod so there’s only so much amateurs can fix unless the Odyssey Engine source port that’s out there ever gets finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It would take a lot for me to take on the remake. A complete overhaul of the player dialogue writing for one thing. As far as obnoxious Bioware writing trends go, Kotor 1 isn't that bad and it does give you more freedom than later games, but my god the writing for your options is terrible and you frequently sound like a child with zero concept of subtlety. The companions are fun and have good writing but that only amplifies how bad your own dialogue options sound in comparison.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They were going to completely redo the voice acting so it stands to reason there was going to be some rewriting of dialogue.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yes, from what was available, there was going to be a wholly new script. Although as I recall one of the writers had previously talked about not liking KOTOR, so....

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well redoing the dialogue means it's a failed venture since John Cygan is dead and I won't accept any alternative for Canderous.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ed Asner has also since died.

When I replayed a few years ago I was a bit shocked by how cringey the Bastilla romance was. Any good remake would have to put some effort into making her slightly more likable.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Have the romances narrated using HK-47's mockery lines from Kotor 2. Let's press our slimy mucus covered lips together in the cargo hold.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

I was a bit concerned that it was too big a project for Aspyr since they’re mainly known for doing Mac ports. Looks like I might have been right.

To be fair Aspyr was doing fine with the various ports of other Star Wars games, but KOTOR is just a different beast from something like Jedi Outcast/Academy or Republic Commando or Episode 1 Racer.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Angry_Ed posted:

To be fair Aspyr was doing fine with the various ports of other Star Wars games, but KOTOR is just a different beast from something like Jedi Outcast/Academy or Republic Commando or Episode 1 Racer.
Those are just cleaned up ports. They were trying to completely rebuild the entirety of KOTOR.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Although as I recall one of the writers had previously talked about not liking KOTOR, so....

I think that was one of those "angry youtubers blow stuff out of proportion" things. The tweet they kept referencing was part of a thread about the Yoda Stories desktop game, and the joke was that it was her favorite Star Wars game rather than KOTOR, which is the conventional choice.

https://twitter.com/SamMaggs/status/1138209204647284736?s=20&t=TG31WyaGBQu_Nm0go2iFGQ

It's like saying someone shouldn't be working on Zelda because they tweeted about Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland instead of Ocarina of Time.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Joking that you like Yoda Stories better than KOTOR is perfectly valid. I can totally see some willfully dense YouTube idiot freaking out about it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yoda Stories is a pretty cute little game. It's a very fun little toy that you can easily see how to create yourself, so I would totally understand a designer citing it as their favourite if it got them at the right moment in childhood.

It's also hilarious to joke about liking more than literally any other Star Wars game because it's that basic.

Arc Hammer posted:

Revan is da greatestest Sith jedi ever he uses a purple Saber because it's light and dark!
As someone who pre-ordered the re-released Black Series Revan and has some third party lego minifigure sitting right beside him right now...

Revan fanboys are worse than Thrawn fanboys.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Revan is da greatestest Sith jedi ever he uses a purple Saber because it's light and dark!

A lot of that comes from Revan's function in the game, right? You choose the Player Character's name, their face, their words - they're basically "you" in Star Wars unless you decide to roleplay them as a specific type of person. And throughout the whole game, you hear about how cool and powerful Revan was, right up until the reveal and suddenly everyone's actually been saying how cool and powerful you are the whole time.

So all the Revan fan hyperbole is really just self-validation for those fans. Something similar happened in the early 2000's with fans wanting to see Kyle Katarn show up more outside of the games, but because Kyle's ultimately his own character and the player just kind of tells him what to do, it didn't get as much traction as "literally you" Revan.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean, the twist works in KOTOR 1 because it plays off of that sudden validation that you were the badass and you can use the reveal to inform how you act or react going forward. KOTOR 2 was pretty clever in how it danced around who Revan was in KOTOR 1 outside of a few choices by the player character, and instead focused on the tangible results of Revan's actions during and immediately following the Mandalorian Wars, while leaving the rest up to interpretation and Avellone's signature style of "history as myth". It leaves things open ended enough to let you still imagine what Revan was as informed by your player actions from KOTOR 1. And that's really where it should have ended, with Revan and the Exile off to battle the darkness on the edge of the galaxy and vanish into the annals of history. When you build up the hype train that much and with so much of it built around player gratification, making Revan and the Exile into defined characters you interact with is a mistake because the writers are filling in the gaps that players would use their imagination to fill.

It comes up short every time, because the written word can't compete with unchained imagination. And with every extra thing written about Revan or the Exile that describes what they did after their stories ended in KOTOR 1 and 2, the dumber it gets. Revan invented the Rule of Two! Also he survived 300 years playing mind games with the most strongest super sith dark lord of all time! And he had a holocron with all his secret techniques recorded in it! And then he balanced light and dark and showed true enlightenment with the Force! And then he made his own army to fight the Sith and the Republic again! And he got split into two people because he was strong enough in the force to inhabit two bodies! And the Exile's ghost followed him around!

There really isn't anywhere you can go with either of the characters after their respective games that doesn't cheapen the experience in my eyes. But since they're both characters built around player gratification, all the writing about the badass stuff they do is basically candy to the people who really got into their characters, and it just swells the hype further and further. It makes me groan.

Power creep in the Old Republic era is something I've never been a fan of, and I say that as a big fan of Nihilus being the deadliest being that possibly ever existed. The power of the Force, the power of annihilation, of nothingness, is insignificant next to the power of the self in KOTOR 2. It's really the only way that Nihilus works as a villain, because he's the dark reflection of you as the player. He's a personal villain despite being the most powerful thing ever, and outside of the story of KOTOR 2 he really wouldn't have much impact if he appeared and we learned more about him. Things like Nihilus, like Revan, like the Exile, they should be left to stand alone and be what they are, rather than an endless wankfest continually cranking out new power creep to show off how badass these characters are.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 3, 2022

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Revan invented the Rule of Two!

no that was darth bane the edgelord

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

As it turns out, Bane got the idea for it from Revan's holocron. Even Drew Karpyshyn's not immune to the "I am Revan and we are the greatest" stuff (or maybe he's more susceptible because he actually wrote the game).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yep, in Path of Destruction Darth Bane travels to Lehon and finds a super secret holocron that Revan left behind at the Rakatan Temple that talks about how weak the Sith were as an army, so Bane takes Revan's technique for the Force Bomb and gives it to the other Sith to use on Ruusan, killing them all in the process so Bane can bring back the Rule of Two.

Retcons! It's all so very stupid.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 3, 2022

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

Also he survived 300 years playing mind games with the most strongest super sith dark lord of all time! And he had a holocron with all his secret techniques recorded in it! And then he balanced light and dark and showed true enlightenment with the Force! And then he made his own army to fight the Sith and the Republic again! And he got split into two people because he was strong enough in the force to inhabit two bodies! And the Exile's ghost followed him around!

Lol, is this really what happens in the Old Republic game? If so, that game is dumb as hell.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
More or less. Revan fails to kill the Sith Emperor, Exile is killed in the attempt and becomes a force ghost who stays at Revan's side. Revan is held in suspended animation for 300 years using his super connection to the Force to battle with the Sith Emperor's mind and delay the Sith invasion hinted at the end of Kotor 2. Revan is eventually freed from prison during the Jedi Knight class's storyline and goes to a mini version of the Star Forge to make an army of doomsday droids who all got defeated by the Sith Empire.

Eventually Revan was split between two bodies, the light side body who looks like a force ghost of default mullet man from KOTOR 1 and the dark side body that wears the Revan Sith armour. Revan starts building another army using another Rakatan doomsday weapon to make an infinite cyborg army but then his mullet man ghost tells evil revan to calm down and they vanish into the void.

BUT THEN. The Sith Emperor resurrects again so Revan's Force Ghost shows up to help the player character finally defeat the Super Duper Mega Emperor's final form called Tenebrae and they do that thing from Episode 9 where Rey has all the Jedi with her except it's Revan and the Exile and all the Ghosts of people killed by the Emperor teaming up to annihilate the Emperor from existence.

I'm sure Revan will show up again at some point in the MMO because they cannot stop using him for increasingly stupid things. He came back to use super doomsday rakatan weapons twice, not including the Star Forge from kotor 1.

None of this includes the Darth Bane books where Bane learns everything about making the Sith stronger from reading Revan's holocron diary.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 3, 2022

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A lot of the background stuff they put together for TOR was interesting. Shame they wasted it on a dumb MMO. Not the best vehicle for storytelling by a long shot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The background videos they did narrated by Lance Henrikson were really good but they stopped doing them once the game released even though their timeline road roadmap had initially intended for the Gnost Dural videos to go back to the very formation of the Jedi Order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2PcTK-UFq0

This stuff is a really neat way to contextualize almost twenty years of EU material in an in-universe archive, but the mechanics of an MMO really aren't well equipped to follow up on what was laid out.

Whatever the MMO was originally intended to be became unfeasible as time went on which is why they started lumping all the classes into one unified story so your avatar becomes the standard Bioware "cool sounding noun" protagonist but with different backgrounds like the Dragon Age Origins classes.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 3, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arc Hammer posted:

Eventually Revan was split between two bodies, the light side body who looks like a force ghost of default mullet man from KOTOR 1 and the dark side body that wears the Revan Sith armour. Revan starts building another army using another Rakatan doomsday weapon to make an infinite cyborg army but then his mullet man ghost tells evil revan to calm down and they vanish into the void.
The light side body looks like a force ghost because it is. The dark side half of Revan got all Darth Sion on his body.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Right. Forgot that part. I'm going off of memory and skim reading a 90,000 word wookieepedia article to refresh my knowledge. So he was mullet man force ghost Revan.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Whatever the MMO was originally intended to be became unfeasible as time went on which is why they started lumping all the classes into one unified story so your avatar becomes the standard Bioware "cool sounding noun" protagonist but with different backgrounds like the Dragon Age Origins classes.

The early expansions at least had faction-specific content, but once you get to the Eternal Empire stuff, huge chunks of the story stop making sense for half the character classes. I can believe the ghost of the Emperor would haunt the Jedi Knight / Sith Warrior, who have a personal connection to him, or even the Jedi Consular / Sith Inquisitor, who have experience dealing with evil spirits.

But the immortal Emperor spending all his time trying to take over the body of some random Smuggler or Bounty Hunter is a bit more of a stretch.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I went back and listened to Canderous's war stories from Kotor 1. He states that the Sith Empire were the ones who approached the Mandalorians with the initial suggestion to battle the Republic during the Mandalorian Wars. Kotor 1 and 2 make it clear that the Sith faced in the games are not actually part of the old empire but are the followers of Revan and in secret Kreia. Before the Jedi Civil War the last person to declare themselves Sith was Exar Kun, who was absolutely not involved with the Sith Empire. The last time the Republic had heard of the actual Sith Empire was 1000 years earlier during the Hyperspace War.

So it's kinda weird to me how Canderous just casually mentions that one of the worst wars in Republic history was instigated by an ancient enemy everyone thought was extinct, and the game never touches on the reveal of their existence again. It's kind of a big deal.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Exar Kun was influenced by Freedon Nadd and Naga Sadow, so the Sith Empire's influence was there in the background the whole time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Sith influence was there but there wasn't really verifiable proof to the Jedi that the Sith Empire was still alive and active. They thought they'd scoured the remnants when the Republic attacked Korriban. And lthe Gnost Dural videos I posted earlier hypothesize that the spirits of the ancient Sith were not aligned with the living Sith Empire, either because they didn't know Tenebrae still lived or because they hated him for fleeing Korriban at the end of the Hyperspace War.

It's just surprising that the reveal of the physical, living, breathing Sith species still existing doesn't shock more people or even get mentioned all that much until 300 years later they appear out of nowhere and wreck the Republic.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It's kind of funny that for the hints of the hidden Sith Empire lurking around the edges of the KOTOR games, Revan and Malak's academy was right on their doorstep and nobody noticed.

The nebula that surrounds Sith Space is allegedly pretty hard to navigate, but you'd think the power-hungry Sith at the school on Korriban would at least try to access the other ancient worlds in the sector. If they had, they would have discovered that the secretive True Sith Kreia warned about were just chilling down the highway on Dromund Kass the whole time.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arc Hammer posted:

In Dark Apprentice Coruscant still has polar ice caps and Han and Kyo go hover skiing down the slopes next to some giant planetary weather control stations. They also survive an avalanche.

The Jedi Academy Trilogy is very silly and I love it.

yeah those books are just all over the place. dala was never a great villian and some how gets to be president and then the empire kinda wins at the end of the legends series basicaly by virture of being the last factions standing but this time with the fel family as kings or whatever.

like i have a bunch of issues with the new canon but end stage legends canon was a nightmare basically after endor.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the empire kinda wins at the end of the legends series basicaly by virture of being the last factions standing but this time with the fel family as kings or whatever.

Not to mention Han & Leia's daughter married the guy who became the first new Emperor, which must have stung after Leia spent the better part of 50 years fighting against various types of galactic fascism.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arc Hammer posted:

The Sith influence was there but there wasn't really verifiable proof to the Jedi that the Sith Empire was still alive and active. They thought they'd scoured the remnants when the Republic attacked Korriban. And lthe Gnost Dural videos I posted earlier hypothesize that the spirits of the ancient Sith were not aligned with the living Sith Empire, either because they didn't know Tenebrae still lived or because they hated him for fleeing Korriban at the end of the Hyperspace War.

It's just surprising that the reveal of the physical, living, breathing Sith species still existing doesn't shock more people or even get mentioned all that much until 300 years later they appear out of nowhere and wreck the Republic.
They still exist on Yavin IV right up to the time of the original trilogy, it's just that they're the "Sith sorcery warped" version that doesn't seem particularly civilised.

TBH anything which goes "why didn't X know about Y?" when it comes to the Sith can be answered by "they're all secretive dickheads".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I thought the Sith Masassi were extinct after the Exar Kun war?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Nah, they still float around until at least when the survey team was looking at Yavin IV for the Rebellion, although it's from the first Marvel run so they also look nothing like what they later turned into.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Robot Style posted:

Not to mention Han & Leia's daughter married the guy who became the first new Emperor, which must have stung after Leia spent the better part of 50 years fighting against various types of galactic fascism.

I think Princess Leia of House Organa is fine with monarchy.

Although that does make me think about how the Republic seems to have zero criteria when it comes to membership and we seem to rarely see actual democrat societies.

There are a ton of member worlds where the monarch wields actual power, worlds run by corporations like Corellia, to just corporations themselves like the Trade Federation holding membership in the Senate (even during the Clone Wars), to Ryloth with its clan system without any apparent central government.

It's closer to a stronger UN.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

OhFunny posted:

to just corporations themselves like the Trade Federation holding membership in the Senate (even during the Clone Wars)

I never quite synced with what Lucas was trying to say with the prequels, even if I mostly understood it. But one of the few times I was totally on board with what he was selling was when he had the Trade Federation just being a member of the Senate. It would be sort of like Amazon or Google having a Senate seat in the US Congress. It perfectly sold that the Galactic Senate was beyond saving. It was great.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

thrawn527 posted:

I never quite synced with what Lucas was trying to say with the prequels, even if I mostly understood it. But one of the few times I was totally on board with what he was selling was when he had the Trade Federation just being a member of the Senate. It would be sort of like Amazon or Google having a Senate seat in the US Congress. It perfectly sold that the Galactic Senate was beyond saving. It was great.
Congratulations! You got it! He's saying that's the direction the USA was heading in.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

OhFunny posted:

It's closer to a stronger UN.

i'm not even sure the republic is stronger than the UN by the time of the prequels. it seems to have practically no state apparatus at all beyond the senate and (effectively) the jedi, and would have folded to the separatists immediately if it had been a real war and the sith hadn't cooked up an army to sell the fake war. of course this is all probably because the sith have been dismantling the republic for centuries in the background since in every other time period it seems like the republic is an actual state instead of a loose oversight body

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

There is one Clone Wars episode that mentions the Republic government runs the electric power system on Coruscant (and is spending money on the army instead), but that's probably just for Coruscant alone.

The same episode is also about the Republic getting rid of its banking regulations to appease the pro-Separatist Banking Clan in exchange for a promise of no rate hikes, which the Banking Clan immediately renegs on, which is very close to the Democratic Party's MO.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's super weird because it seems like the Republic is paying itself for electricity and threathening to hold out unless they pay themselves on time. Feels like a problem easily solved by a "we're requisitioning this and paying you in war bonds" kind of deal but I guess that'd be counterproductive when ol' Sheev was trying to privitise and gut the Republic behind the scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I believe the debate in the Republic Senate wasn't about deregulating the banks to get additional loans for more clone troops vs paying to keep the power plants running, but doing the former vs opening peace talks.

Padmé manages to get the Senate to vote for peace talks, but the power plants on Coruscant get bombed by pro-war Separatists and the attack whips the Senate into a frenzy and they scrap the peace talks vote to continue the war.