Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

KinkyJohn posted:

I am the millions of RGB lights on millions of xxxtreme gamer gpus in poorly ventilated rooms, spinning and churning out fantastical multicolored light shows that nobody will ever see, illuminating only the fact that we have failed as a species.

I have calculated sudokus you people wouldn't believe
GPUs on fire in suburbs of Houston
I watched candlestick charts in the dark on Mt. Gox.
All those moments will be lost in time, like hard drives in the dump.
Time to die.

E: a terrible snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Just noticed he has the big fans blowing on the front of the card fans, making them ineffectual.
Should have had them around the back aiming to the door or window on the right.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

The Kins posted:

I'm pretty sure it was actually some Bitcoiner going to a camgirl forum undercover and trying to sell them on Bitcoin, and being taken to school by people who, it turns out, already had a pretty decent understanding of online commerce.

the forum was stripperweb but since it's been 11 years I dunno how much of that stuff is findable

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/theinformation/status/1554942041586634754?s=21&t=ZQ9Sbq1BQmhilz23hjekmQ

gregday
May 23, 2003

I am just a simple person but I don’t understand what was actually bought here and what the business plan was

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

gregday posted:

I am just a simple person but I don’t understand what was actually bought here and what the business plan was

- nothing
- number go up

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

more falafel please posted:

- nothing
- number go up

Number go up is the plan of the entire market and always has been. World's in fire, financials on fire, but hey. Number up!

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

gregday posted:

If it was Earth2, they bought a spreadsheet cell on a overlay of the Earth's surface. Eventually the plan was to build some gigantic MMO on a gamified Earth map and land owners would get resources for building stuff and then could sell resources or lease land for the in-game currency that would also function as an altcoin. But so far all the dev team for Earth2 has managed to do is set up a funnel to collect payments and exchange real money for in-game funny money and pull a few off the shelf game assets together to pass off a couple of demo videos as progress. If it hasn't collapsed already, it's about to.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

drk posted:

Didn't he also pretend to be a camgirl and immediately give off dude energy to literally everyone

there were two major incidents, one was a guy on the bitcoin talk forums coming up with a brilliant idea for camgirls to use bitcoin, and a woman who actually ran a successful cam girl business tried to give him advice and criticism, which he interpreted as her trying to get in on the idea, and the other was now dead man Mircea Popescu posing as a woman on a cam girl forum and trying to convince them to use bitcoin, to which they immediately realised he was a fraud and bitcoin was dumb

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The whole concept of metaverse "land" being worth something is so insanely stupid. It's all virtual. It doesn't matter where it is. You could presumably just blip anywhere instantly. There is no real shortage of potential space you could occupy. It makes no loving sense aaaaaaa

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

quote:

While the man behind NiFTy Arcade has since been suspended from GameStop's NFT marketplace, he's still holding on to the tens of thousands of dollars in cryptocurrency he made by selling those NFTs before the suspension. And while the NFTs in question are no longer listed on the GameStop NFT marketplace, the unlicensed games themselves can still be accessed on GameStop's servers and across a blockchain-based file storage system, where they may now be functionally impossible to remove.

Hmm. Nope, absolutely no way to do anything about the servers, nope nope.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Just another crypto grifter going "haha, lefty's"

https://twitter.com/tyler/status/1554867727445245954?t=-aoQH724Ph4esnwoH6-qBQ&s=19

gotta love cryptobros getting into politics, clearly they're ok with the grift.
"why can't you guys be like the old left that we used to endlessly complain about instead of like the modern left we endlessly complain about?"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

so whats the best way to ruin a mining set up?

assume you dont have fire or water.

Anti Plum
Sep 15, 2007
Just close all the windows.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
For generations we lived in harmony, a tribe of simple coin miners and NFT price-washers.

Then the fire nation came.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Can they not change the url the nft points to? Or have they somehow added the code of the game to the blockchain?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The Kins posted:

I'm pretty sure it was actually some Bitcoiner going to a camgirl forum undercover and trying to sell them on Bitcoin, and being taken to school by people who, it turns out, already had a pretty decent understanding of online commerce.

I am 85% sure that was Atlas, the guy who started his code audit of the bitcoin core protocol by asking bitcointalk "What is the function of #include ?"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

ilmucche posted:

Can they not change the url the nft points to? Or have they somehow added the code of the game to the blockchain?

They can't change the NFT's URL, but they could change what's there on the far side to a big picture of some guy stretching out his anus

They won't though

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Boy, who could have seen this coming

Certainly not companies that did the exact same thing in Second Life more than a decade ago

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Boxturret posted:

there were two major incidents, one was a guy on the bitcoin talk forums coming up with a brilliant idea for camgirls to use bitcoin, and a woman who actually ran a successful cam girl business tried to give him advice and criticism, which he interpreted as her trying to get in on the idea, and the other was now dead man Mircea Popescu posing as a woman on a cam girl forum and trying to convince them to use bitcoin, to which they immediately realised he was a fraud and bitcoin was dumb

As an aside I 100% do not believe that poopscoop or that other bitcoin billionaire guy are dead. They realized that the only way they could ever enjoy their ill gotten gains was to fake their own death and did.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Boy, who could have seen this coming

Certainly not companies that did the exact same thing in Second Life more than a decade ago

I suspect some of them are the same company. This time it will be big.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Somfin posted:

They can't change the NFT's URL, but they could change what's there on the far side to a big picture of some guy stretching out his anus

They won't though

no typically the only thing NFTs store on-chain is a URL for a json file, which contains a URL of a jpeg. whoever controls that json file can absolutely just change it to point at whatever

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

Just wait.

Number go down.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

priznat posted:

The whole concept of metaverse "land" being worth something is so insanely stupid. It's all virtual. It doesn't matter where it is. You could presumably just blip anywhere instantly. There is no real shortage of potential space you could occupy. It makes no loving sense aaaaaaa

Well the fantasy I guess was some sort of giant VR MMO with 4 billion people playing 12 hours a day, and if you somehow buy that then I guess it makes sense to want a storefront in metaverse-ironforge to sell your virtual sprockets or whatever. But I don't really think this concept will ever get off the ground unless humanity has "ascended" to the point where we're all just brains in jars anyway.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 5, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Well the fantasy I guess was some sort of giant VR MMO with 4 billion people playing 12 hours a day, and if you somehow buy that then I guess it makes sense to want a storefront in metaverse-ironforge to sell your virtual sprockets or whatever. But I don't really think this concept will ever get off the ground unless humanity has "ascended" to the point where we're all just brains in jars anyway.

Yeah but the whole idea of having a strip of 3d real estate you have to plod along to get from storefront to storefront is stupid and would just waste your time. This probably is how it will be organized though in the least imaginative way just copying malls or whatever though.

But really the location of places relative to each other is just completely silly and arbitrary in a virtual world unless they're putting dumb constraints in. People could arrange their own virtual worlds so all the places they like to go are next to each other as well.. Ugh it's just so dumb and rear end backwards.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

gregday posted:

Basically,

drk
Jan 16, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

As an aside I 100% do not believe that poopscoop or that other bitcoin billionaire guy are dead. They realized that the only way they could ever enjoy their ill gotten gains was to fake their own death and did.

they went on to live a luxurious life as cryptolanders

(let us never forget crypto island of course had a giant collection of terrible NFT characters based on the talking coin)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

drk posted:

they went on to live a luxurious life as cryptolanders

(let us never forget crypto island of course had a giant collection of terrible NFT characters based on the talking coin)

wow hes,,,, litreally sick,,, peak comedy!!!!!!!!!!

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

priznat posted:

Yeah but the whole idea of having a strip of 3d real estate you have to plod along to get from storefront to storefront is stupid and would just waste your time. This probably is how it will be organized though in the least imaginative way just copying malls or whatever though.

But really the location of places relative to each other is just completely silly and arbitrary in a virtual world unless they're putting dumb constraints in. People could arrange their own virtual worlds so all the places they like to go are next to each other as well.. Ugh it's just so dumb and rear end backwards.

They all read Snow Crash and forgot that it was fiction, in other words.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

JohnCompany posted:

The funny thing is in snow crash it was kind of shown what a dumb idea the build up of a metaverse was and how it trailed off into nothingness a few blocks away from the main node or whatever. I don't know if Stephenson intended it to be a bad implementation but the fact that they use vehicles to get around and have to use motorcycles because it is so congested just shows what a stupid goddamn design it was, lol.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

priznat posted:

The last time someone tried this - in Second Life - it literally rained dicks.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 5, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Kerbtree posted:

The last time someone tried this - in Second Life - it literally rained dicks.

What even is the metaverse other than some bullshit white papers and some back of the napkin sketches at this point anyway

Of course they'll implement it the laziest possible way and just make it a GTA ripoff or something

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

JohnCompany posted:

Don't bring up Snow Crash in context of Earth Two or the MetaVerse or whatever. There was only some pedophilia in SC instead of it being the norm in the virtual worlds (we really forget there was straight up a 14 year old having sex with a 30 something in that book).

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sony also did it with PlayStation Home, which also died super quick. Turns out that when your virtual world doesn't let you do all the weird and wacky poo poo that real life also doesn't allow then there isn't any point to it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

ilmucche posted:

The thing about Pico8 games is that they're absolutely tiny - I got a few during one of the itch.io bundles. Like 8kb. I think they could probably actually fit one on a blockchain.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Protocol7 posted:

wow hes,,,, litreally sick,,, peak comedy!!!!!!!!!!

His number is going up!!!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Salt Fish posted:

I don't believe that anyone is buying NFTs from gamestop. I cannot believe that as a credible claim.

I’m diamond hand true GME believers will do it as a way to prop up their investment while waiting for the short squeeze that will happen any day now.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Serious_Cyclone posted:

If it was Earth2, they bought a spreadsheet cell on a overlay of the Earth's surface. Eventually the plan was to build some gigantic MMO on a gamified Earth map and land owners would get resources for building stuff and then could sell resources or lease land for the in-game currency that would also function as an altcoin. But so far all the dev team for Earth2 has managed to do is set up a funnel to collect payments and exchange real money for in-game funny money and pull a few off the shelf game assets together to pass off a couple of demo videos as progress. If it hasn't collapsed already, it's about to.
Wait so the plan was literally 'What if Second Life but on a Planet Incinerating Blockchain?' Don't they know that Second Life already exists? Existed? Happened?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

PhazonLink posted:

If you don't have fire, the mining rig will happily provide it at no additional charge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

NorgLyle posted:

Wait so the plan was literally 'What if Second Life but on a Planet Incinerating Blockchain?' Don't they know that Second Life already exists? Existed? Happened?

Still exists, free to download.