Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I like the old crater baseplates. They should bring those back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Waltzing Along posted:

I haven't finished the new GE yet. Just a bag to go. However, I can say that the OG GE is better.

The new GE should be smaller and it needs something like the originals base plates. Part of the reason the original is so great is it has a landing pad and a small communications building along with terrain to play on.

Sure the new one has some really cool build techniques and looks nice. But in making something so big they missed out on part of the appeal of the original.

There were a bunch of Classic Space sets that had terrain plates or landing plates. But the Galaxy Explorer had both along with a cool ship.

It's weird how building this new one makes me want to pull the other one out and build that instead.

What’s weird is disassembling the OG GE.

Just kidding. Agreed on the baseplate - I would have liked to have seen them here too, but I’m pretty sure at this point, LEGO wishes they could figure out how to ship even modulars without them.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Use a grey baseplate. Make the GE about 3/4 or 2/3 the size. And brick build/snot a landing pad and some hilly terrain in the corner.

Done. A better homage to the OG set.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
3 succulents in. My garden is growing!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Thats succs.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

It's a real succzone

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Thicc succs

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Futanari Damacy posted:

I like the old crater baseplates. They should bring those back!

Have you seen what they have done to road plates??

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Tarquinn posted:

Have you seen what they have done to road plates??

Yeah they stopped selling them years ago. Got these brickbuilt roads now though...

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Carbohydrates posted:

1968 Dodge Dart Hemi Superstock

Now that the Speed Champions DB5 is out and we finally have light gray mudguard pieces, I can build the legendary 68 Hemi Dart. I'm actually gonna talk about the car a little bit this time because this thing is rad.

The Hemi Dart was Dodge sticking their largest engine, the 426 Hemi, into their smallest car, the Dart. They built it as a semi complete frame and sent it to Hurst Performance for finishing. Hurst built these cars a custom suspension and exhaust and moved the battery to the trunk to fit all that engine. To save weight, they fitted them with polymer windows and fiberglass hoods and fenders. They acid dipped body panels to shave weight. They omitted anything that didn't add to performance: heaters, radios, armrests, insulation, carpet, consoles, all of it stripped out.

This was a street legal car that you could buy from a dealership, albeit without a warranty. That said, they were mostly intended to end up on the track. They shipped with no paint, just primer gray with black gelcoat on the front to protect the bodywork, on the assumption that racing teams would just repaint them anyway, so why bother finishing them? They weighed barely 3,000 lbs and made 425 BHP. With a tiny bit of tuning, they could make a quarter mile in the 9 second range. They were dominant in class B superstock racing racing for years. Only 80 were made, and they're worth a ton now, especially if they have the original primer & gelcoat.

This is fantastic. Thank you for all of this.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Futanari Damacy posted:

Yeah they stopped selling them years ago. Got these brickbuilt roads now though...

don't knock the new roads. if you want a 6 stud wide scaled road, it's right there. if you want an 8 stud scaled road with a curb or a sidewalk or a shoulder or a median you can mash two of them together. it's a p' good foundation, especially if you're doing 8 wide cars and want your roads to have some real road ambiance, but it does require an obscene amount of 2x4 grey tiles

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Flyinglemur posted:

This is fantastic. Thank you for all of this.
Hey, sure! I usually just talk about the build but I really like the real car behind this one.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Carbohydrates posted:

Hey, sure! I usually just talk about the build but I really like the real car behind this one.

Yeah that was really interesting actually. I’m curious, has there ever been a build you wanted to do but just couldn’t get the design to where you liked it (excluding a limitation like a particular piece not being available in a given colour)?

I imagine a Tucker Torpedo would be hard to get right (itself one of the coolest cars of all time)

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Futanari Damacy posted:

Yeah that was really interesting actually. I’m curious, has there ever been a build you wanted to do but just couldn’t get the design to where you liked it (excluding a limitation like a particular piece not being available in a given colour)?

I imagine a Tucker Torpedo would be hard to get right (itself one of the coolest cars of all time)
Yeah, plenty. I tend to look at whatever I think will be the most iconic or most difficult part of a car and start there, and if I can't nail that part, then there's almost no point in going through with the whole build beyond that. There have been plenty I start, work on, and abandon, and some that I've come back to months or years later with new ideas to pick up and finish.

Some that I've given up on (for now) include the 1972 Toyota Crown, the 1966 Plymouth Barracuda, the 1973 Olds Delta 88 from Evil Dead, and the 1960 Fiat 500.

Some that I initially gave up on but then returned to and finished include the 2000 Plymouth Prowler, the 1999 Mercury Cougar, the 1977 Pontiac Trans Am, and the 1964 Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt. The Prowler is a specific example of one that I only figured out when a new piece was released that I ended up using.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Carbohydrates posted:

1972 Toyota Crown

Oh come on, you gotta finish that one

I mean, I have zero idea how you'd actually pull that off, but y'know...

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Heh. He's at it again

https://twitter.com/legodoumoko/status/1556272560995647488

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Galaxy explorer is a must buy. Especially if you grew up with classic space.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Scipiotik posted:

Galaxy explorer is a must buy. Especially if you grew up with classic space.

It's actually not sold out on the lego store either. Either lego printed a billion of them or no one gives a poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe it's true that no one cares about classic space which means it will never come back.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I voted for Blacktron, Ice Planet, and Paradisa :shrug:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe it's true that no one cares about classic space which means it will never come back.

But the ones that do care are insanely loud so it will never die.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe it's true that no one cares about bionicle which means it will never come back.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

Futanari Damacy posted:

I voted for Blacktron, Ice Planet, and Paradisa :shrug:

You monster!

Blacktron's cool though.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Space stuff is always kinda grouped by generation. They'd have to do first UFO or Insectoids again to hit my personal nostalgia.

The Galaxy Explorer does nothing for me, because I wasn't even born when the line was introduced. :shrug:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Bring back the Light and Sound Spaceship. Give me one last chance to visit my parents and drive them crazy with it while they are still alive!

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

Attestant posted:

Space stuff is always kinda grouped by generation. They'd have to do first UFO or Insectoids again to hit my personal nostalgia.

The Galaxy Explorer does nothing for me, because I wasn't even born when the line was introduced. :shrug:

Yeah, true. This anniversary was for the 80's, the 100 year anniversary will feature stuff from the 90's and after that it will be Star Wars till the end. :v:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I dunno honestly, I was thinking the same thing at first but looking at the reviews, there's something about the way the ship is built that hits kind of old-lego vibes in a way that's absent from modern sets. Classic Space was well before my time but the way the interior of the set and its cockpit and so on come together definitely hit my nostalgia buttons a bit.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Drake no: classic space
Drake yes: Explorians

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
As long as I get my UCS aquasharks in ten years, I'm fine.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Where are the Bionicles?

I can't believe that Lego would rig the outcome of the votes!

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

When is Neo-Galidor coming out??!?!!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah classic space was before my time though if there were similar remaster sets of Blacktron it would be hard to resist.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I am obligated to like classic space because of my age, but Futuron and Blacktron are way better looks. Probably best left in the past though, come up with some new space stuff please.

Plus that's when we got visors which is little kid crack.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I'd take reimagined blacktron if it's of the same quality as the galaxy explorer.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
If you live near a costco and have a membership already they have the new noodle shop for $35 and that big rear end ninjago centaur robot thing for $55. Regular $45 and $80 from what I'm seeing.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Someone got the yet to be announced 76405 Hogwarts Express Collector's Edition shipped to them instead of the Lion Knight's Castle that they ordered. The train looks fantastic, too bad about all of the Harry Potter stuff attached to it :v:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I went to the Lego store to get Lego Mario stuff and walked out with the Speed Champions DB5 and the Mercedes AMG two-pack, and it’s all your guys’ fault.

THANKS A LOT, ASSHOLES.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
No-one wants to buy onicle

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

BaconCopter posted:

Someone got the yet to be announced 76405 Hogwarts Express Collector's Edition shipped to them instead of the Lion Knight's Castle that they ordered. The train looks fantastic, too bad about all of the Harry Potter stuff attached to it :v:

true but a LOT of other, not terrible people also make money off of the franchise. I know that She Who Must Not Be Named is a garbage person but that franchise is vast.

I'm not defending her, nor am I going to buy any of the HP stuff, just making conversation. It's hard to separate the art from the artist sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

ChesterJT posted:

If you live near a costco and have a membership already they have the new noodle shop for $35 and that big rear end ninjago centaur robot thing for $55. Regular $45 and $80 from what I'm seeing.

I got this over the weekend and put it together alongside the other 3-in-1 modulars, the townhouse pet shop/cafe and the toy store. I think it's a bit unfortunate that neither of the smaller kits fit well against the cafe side of the larger one, at least not in their main configuration. Both work well abutting the pet shop, however.

I also managed to pick up the 1700-piece Space Mission assortment for $55. For some reason my local costco had them set out something like one or two weeks before they were available direct from Lego.