Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Basebf555 posted:

Ghost Dog was just added to HBOMax this month so if you have that it's a good time to check it out.

Le Samourai is on there too. Will miss you, HBO Max

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Ghost Dog is not an action movie but it has a loving hilarious Henry Silva stone faced performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4CIeZrcmpk

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Ghost Dog is definitely an all time fave of mine.

"You know, in ancient cultures, bears were considered equal with men."
"This ain't no ancient culture here, mister."
"Sometimes it is."

It's basically Forest Whitaker versus a bunch of 60-70 year old Italian Americans. That should be enough to sell you.

Great soundtrack too

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Ulio posted:

Kinda weird that RZA came up because that yt channel I mentioned has reviews of almost every Japanese samurai flick then a random rear end Forrest Whitaker movie called Ghost Dog Way of The Samurai, the music is done by RZA. I had never heard of this movie but honestly it looks insanely interesting. Don't know if anyone here has seen it.

RZA loves those samurai movie so much that he made his own, with him starring in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3swVdu41Ixg

It has Russell Crowe and Big Dave.

oh and also Lucy Liu and Byron Mann

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Fellow action goons, I am 10 minutes into Carter (it's on netflix), and it is bananas. Imagine a pseudo one take movie, but everything is filmed like the fight scenes in the Villainess.

https://mobile.twitter.com/HeadExposure/status/1555483688619614208

dokmo fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Aug 5, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Just a reminder that Prey is out. I'm outta here to watch it *sound of Predator cloaking device activating*

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

dokmo posted:

Fellow action goons, I am 10 minutes into Carter (it's on netflix), and it is bananas. Imagine a pseudo one take movie, but everything is filmed like the fight scenes in the Villainess.

https://mobile.twitter.com/HeadExposure/status/1555483688619614208

the north koreans turn out to be the bad guys thought don't they :(

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

the north koreans turn out to be the bad guys thought don't they :(

yes, but just a rogue group of north Koreans who want to topple the "current regime"

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

dokmo posted:

yes, but just a rogue group of north Koreans who want to topple the "current regime"

Interesting

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
prey is great. watch it

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Suppose it's my own fault for reading positive goon feedback here and in the horror thread but I thought Prey was just fine. Loved the last fight though, and the Predator vs. the bear fight.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

mastershakeman posted:

prey is great. watch it

Seconding this. I don't know how well it handles the Native American characters culturally, but Amber Midthunder kicks rear end and the movie has lots of fantastic callbacks to previous predator movies without making it feel forced. The action was very sweet and the Predator has some fantastic new/old toys.

My only small gripe directly after watching it is with the very last scene, where Naru celebrates with her tribe and it's all women and little girls cheering for their new female war chief and it's uplifting and Naru managed to bring the hope for equality to her people... but they are all hosed. It comes with the setting. Almost all all their male warriors are dead, and the Europeans are coming. The end credits even hint that the Predators are coming, and they are pissed. I liked that the movie had a happy ending, Naru deserved as much. But it just felt weird, knowing the historical background.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Saw Bullet Train today. It's pretty fun but fairly disposable. There was an older couple sitting near me who left partway through which was odd because it didn't exactly have a ton of objectionable content or anything like that. Something that's strange is that the rest of the movie looks fine but there's one short scene near the very end which is just absolutely awful green screen.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Ghost Dog was just added to HBOMax this month so if you have that it's a good time to check it out.

I have it on my watchlist definitely seems interesting. Just got the criterion channel subscription, I ll checkout some Kurosawa + Mifune stuff then Zatoichi.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Saw Bullet Train today. It's pretty fun but fairly disposable. There was an older couple sitting near me who left partway through which was odd because it didn't exactly have a ton of objectionable content or anything like that. Something that's strange is that the rest of the movie looks fine but there's one short scene near the very end which is just absolutely awful green screen.

I love out of place individual CGI shots. The completely mystifying CGI smoke in Ronin is a highlight of the film.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Prey was good. it's the second best Predator movie but is not in the same league as the original Predator, and anyone who says it is goes on my suspect list. I'm not going to spoiler my general thoughts about the tone and problems with the movie but I will spoiler specific beats.

The movie is good when it focuses on Amber Midthunder's character Naru. She has an expressive face and does a lot with it. Her story is interesting, her culture is interesting, her relationship (and the actor who plays her brother) is interesting, and she's easy to root for. I also really enjoyed the actor who player her brother, he had that wiry dangerous guy energy that good supporting characters in action movies should have. In fact, the entire supporting cast was great. The homages to OG Predator were tasteful and well done.

The biggest problem with the film, in my opinion, occurs during the French Trapper vs Predator sequence. This is when Trachtenberg's obvious fanboying for the Predator comes out. That's fine and dandy to fanboy a Yautja (I do) but Predator should only be cool after the fact, when the movie is over. Until that moment it should be fuckin' terrifying; turning it into a badass gadget-throwing mook killer undercuts the threat. I did not appreciate the comedic action beats here - not because they're somehow inappropriate to a Predator movie (Dutch & Co. vs the Guerillas has very deliberately funny moments) but because they involve the Predator, and making the Predator sympathetic or cool or making it kill "the correct" targets in rad ways takes away from its role as a disgusting alien trophy hunter who deserves to be tricked and killed by the plucky protagonist.

Speaking of which, I do like this version of the Predator. It took me way too long to realize that it is basically the mirror to Naru's character - this is its first hunt too. I love the changes they made to its design, but I felt that they should have communicated better that it's really quite dumb and inexperienced as Predators go, and gets pretty chewed up on the way to the final battle - bit by a wolf, chomped and clawed by a bear, stabbed and shot by Naru's Comanche tribesmen, and messed up some by the French. Yeah it's strong and fast but it's also hurt and brutish. I also have no idea how it managed to kill itself at the end, or why it would use a laser-guided weapon when it has no idea where its lasers are pointing as its missing its helmet, or even why the helmet suddenly activated. But I guess it's just a sign that this youngblood Yautja wasn't ready for the big leagues.

So yeah. This is a good entry in the Predator franchise. And I think that if they want to continue to milk this, "Predator vs Vikings/Samurai/Pirates/Ram and Bheem from RRR" is not a bad way to do it. Check this film out, but don't expect a paradigm-shattering action classic.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 8, 2022

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Dogg they would need an army of Predators to take on Ram and Bheem (and I would be down as gently caress to watch that)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm rewatching the first half hour of Prey in the Comanche dub because I really appreciate the amount of effort they put into all the cultural and historical aspects , just like I appreciated the efforts in the northman. One detail I loved was when they find the injured warrior, hours pass as the group makes a stretcher and works on his wound, so the shift to nighttime is earned and also feels realistic that yeah, it's hard to do that on the fly.

Obviously its not comparable to the original predator (Arnold will always be the king of Hollywood action for me ) but prey certainly meets with modern sensibilities more.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/entertainment/2022/08/05/prey-producer-lives-a-dream-working-on-native-themed-predator-film/65382943007/ love it

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 6, 2022

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Jesus christ is the acting in Carter straight doodoo so far lol, even by action movie standards

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Speaking of which, I do like this version of the Predator. It took me way too long to realize that it is basically the mirror to Amber Midthunder's character - this is its first hunt too. I love the changes they made to its design, but I felt that they should have communicated better that it's really quite dumb and inexperienced as Predators go, and gets pretty chewed up on the way to the final battle - bit by a wolf, chomped and clawed by a bear, stabbed and shot by Midthunder's Comanche tribesmen, and messed up some by the French. Yeah it's strong and fast but it's also hurt and brutish. I also have no idea how it managed to kill itself at the end, or why it would use a laser-guided weapon when it has no idea where its lasers are pointing as its missing its helmet, or even why the helmet suddenly activated. But I guess it's just a sign that this youngblood Yautja wasn't ready for the big leagues.

I was confused too

that would suggest it really didn't know how its own technology worked and either she did, or she got REALLY lucky that the Yautja didn't

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

I was confused too

that would suggest it really didn't know how its own technology worked and either she did, or she got REALLY lucky that the Yautja didn't

I don't really think this point is super complicated.

I assumed the predator did not expect a less technologically advanced species to figure out how its weapons worked so quickly so it never expected the helmet to be right next to it. He probably figures that regardless of where the helmet is, the bolt is gonna go through Naru first. We see this a little bit when Taabe is riding around on the horse loving him up. Taabe still has to dodge the bolts before they course correct to the laser. The homing part of it is not immediate. This also kinda of paints the predator as quick to anger/brash because he's just firing his bolts willy nilly knowing that he doesn't have his helmet equipped. He's pissed that someone got the jump on him. Naru's little speech before she starts her ambush characterizes the predator really well. He's already assumed that he's the strongest/most intelligent hunter on the field so he would never expect Naru punking him the way she does. Don't remember what the name of the trial the Commanche go through is but he got caught up in the hunt rather than trying to survive.

Ghosthotel fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 6, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I really disagree with the notion the predator needs to be scary and not cool. I’m sorry but that trick works one time and you can’t do it again. Which is why Predator 2 is the best predator movie because the Predator just gets to be cool and badass through the whole movie. Laying waste to everyone and everything.

It’s the 7th appearance the creature has had in film. Just have fun with it.

Also speaking of Predator 2 and the end credits, what you think is about to go down isn’t quite what we’re shown.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Bless Byung-gil Jung's fascination with fisticuffs in moving vehicles. It was in Confession Of Murder and The Villainess and its got to be about 80% of the action in Carter. Its like he saw that motorcycle sequence in John Wick 3 and became furious! Then he caught the bullet-time sequence from Swordfish and thought it was neat.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Snowman_McK posted:

I love out of place individual CGI shots. The completely mystifying CGI smoke in Ronin is a highlight of the film.
The original shot is in the trailer and it looks great, a nice J-turn with a big, heavy car. I guess Frankenheimer assembled his cut then went "wait, those tyres were smoking a few seconds ago, that needs to be fixed." So what would have been a trivial IMDb continuity goof submitted by nerds became something that everybody noticed because it's so badly done.

There's a similar but far less obvious bit in The Rock where the explosion that throws the tram into the air is really clunkily extended sideways to go underneath it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CelticPredator posted:

I really disagree with the notion the predator needs to be scary and not cool. I’m sorry but that trick works one time and you can’t do it again. Which is why Predator 2 is the best predator movie because the Predator just gets to be cool and badass through the whole movie. Laying waste to everyone and everything.

It’s the 7th appearance the creature has had in film. Just have fun with it.

Also speaking of Predator 2 and the end credits, what you think is about to go down isn’t quite what we’re shown.

How many times can gray aliens be scary

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I had a lot of fun with Bullet Train. Brad Pitt is quite charming in it and I liked the cameos. Some of it felt forced and it tried for the whacky mobster stuff of Guy Ritchie movies but overall good. My audience was laughing and clapping at the end though it was like a half full theater.

Great cast.

The action is solid.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The biggest problem with the film, in my opinion, occurs during the French Trapper vs Predator sequence. This is when Trachtenberg's obvious fanboying for the Predator comes out. That's fine and dandy to fanboy a Yautja (I do) but Predator should only be cool after the fact, when the movie is over. Until that moment it should be fuckin' terrifying; turning it into a badass gadget-throwing mook killer undercuts the threat. I did not appreciate the comedic action beats here - not because they're somehow inappropriate to a Predator movie (Dutch & Co. vs the Guerillas has very deliberately funny moments) but because they involve the Predator, and making the Predator sympathetic or cool or making it kill "the correct" targets in rad ways takes away from its role as a disgusting alien trophy hunter who deserves to be tricked and killed by the plucky protagonist.

That part is a mirror of Naru's development, too. She gets to mess up some trappers too, and I liked that it almost felt like a scene from a Blaxploitation movie, if that makes sense. The big scary mirror to our Native American heroine going to town of what will be a bane to her people in the future.

To me, the buffalo scene set all that up quite well. That panorama was as alien and as terrifying as anything a Predator could set up, and the Predator seems to agree. Bloody retribution follows.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gatts posted:

I had a lot of fun with Bullet Train. Brad Pitt is quite charming in it and I liked the cameos. Some of it felt forced and it tried for the whacky mobster stuff of Guy Ritchie movies but overall good. My audience was laughing and clapping at the end though it was like a half full theater.

Great cast.

The action is solid.

Speaking of cameos, I was really sure that White Death was going to be Keanu up until the reveal.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DeimosRising posted:

How many times can gray aliens be scary

Every single time

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

CelticPredator posted:

I really disagree with the notion the predator needs to be scary and not cool. I’m sorry but that trick works one time and you can’t do it again.

This just isn't true. Anyone could make a scary shark movie today, despite Jaws pretty much being a masterclass. They could bring back Jason or Freddie and make them scary without making them cool. Aliens could absolutely go back to being horror villains no problem. If it weren't for the business demands of franchise, a "stealth Predator" horror movie - where the audience wasn't aware they were watching a Predator film - is entirely within the realm of possibility.

Just a small bit of info: I almost put "just like Predator 2, Prey gets too caught up in thinking the Predator is cool and just like Predator 2, that impulse lessens it" but if Predator 2 is your favorite than clearly that's a useless perspective for you.

Grendels Dad posted:

That part is a mirror of Naru's development, too. She gets to mess up some trappers too, and I liked that it almost felt like a scene from a Blaxploitation movie, if that makes sense. The big scary mirror to our Native American heroine going to town of what will be a bane to her people in the future.

To me, the buffalo scene set all that up quite well. That panorama was as alien and as terrifying as anything a Predator could set up, and the Predator seems to agree. Bloody retribution follows.

I don't object to the scene. The Predator vs t the French Trappers is a great idea for a scene. Thematically it was excellent. It's another "dark mirror" scene, but this time the Predator is mirroring something different. The technologically advanced invaders are one-upped by an even more technologically advanced invader. The issue here is that the scene was shot to make the Predator the protagonist - I completely agree with you that it was a "sticking it to the Man" scene and the Predator was the instrument of that scene. The people who should be sticking it to the man, though, are the cool Comanche - not the murderous trophy hunter who treats them like meat. The movie would have been stronger if this scene were shot as a horror scene, which it could have easily done - the environment was perfect for it. Instead we get a fanboy action sequence where the audience is clearly supposed to be rooting for the Predator. You don't root for the Predator - they're the bad guy. You root for good guys. You root for Naru.

The movie switches right back over to Naru after this though, and it's suddenly back to being excellent. The Predator is no longer being shot for maximum cool anymore, it's back to being a horror villain, and we see that Naru is now treating the captured trapper like meat, same as the Predator. Another nice "dark mirror" reference. I don't think the aforementioned scene completely spoils the movie, but it is a serious misstep and that - and the sadly frequently unconvincing CGI animals - is what keeps Prey out of top tier.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Just a small bit of info: I almost put "just like Predator 2, Prey gets too caught up in thinking the Predator is cool and just like Predator 2, that impulse lessens it" but if Predator 2 is your favorite than clearly that's a useless perspective for you.

Yep.

The predator has never been and never will be a scary creature to me and has always been cool and badass.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CelticPredator posted:

Yep.

The predator has never been and never will be a scary creature to me and has always been cool and badass.

I'm glad this is coming up because I've seen some say a fault of Prey is that it's not scary anymore and like, I was a kid when I saw Predator and it was never a horror thing to me or anyone else I know. Obviously there's atmosphere, there's a lot of tension and suspense and whatever but I never saw them as horror.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’d call predator a slasher movie for sure but I just never found it scary. And I think it’s pretty hard to make it such.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also Predator has had 32 years of being more action oriented than slasher oriented so it’s just odd that anyone is disappointed the new Predator movie isn’t a horror

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Carter started out kinda promising, but I got mega tired of the bad CGI and hyperactive camera work. It was half an hour too long.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Prey is a lot of fun. Gorgeous setting. Jerk bear. Pred is definitely depicted like an undying slasher villain.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I like the mental image of the Predator crouching in the forrest, witnessing the little food chain event until the snake catches the mouse, which is when it thinks "badass!" and decides to fight the snake.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Prey was so goddamn good.
I have a lot of love and tolerance for schlocky action movie but this was elevated by having pretty good acting and realistic relationships.

It's just below Predator for me.

I love the look she gives when her axe finally hooks to the tree stump. She's so excited and surprised, even when she's about to die in a bog.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
Did Naru and the Predator share a "well that just happened" pause because the Predator cut its own arm off with the extend-o-shield? This had so many great blink-and-you-miss-it action moments, especially the non-Predaror stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

JohnnySavs posted:

Did Naru and the Predator share a "well that just happened" pause because the Predator cut its own arm off with the extend-o-shield? This had so many great blink-and-you-miss-it action moments, especially the non-Predaror stuff.

I will have to go back and check, but I know that I felt some relief when that happened. As much as I loved the Predator in this, it was generally a relief when it got injured because Jesus, something had to slow that guy down.