Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jeherrin posted:

There has never been a better username/post combo in the history of these dying forums, I am convinced of it

It's-a-wall! Mario!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Failed Imagineer posted:

Buried in an L-shaped coffin

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Lmao

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I never thought I'd look forward to posts by NJaN99.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Lol. We're in the upside down timeline now remember, trump and Boris and brexit and my posts being tolerable.

Don't worry though I will continue to post in my usual fashion in the UK threads.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol. We're in the upside down timeline now remember, trump and Boris and brexit and my posts being tolerable.

Don't worry though I will continue to post in my usual fashion in the UK threads.

If you get banned, several of us will be real disappointed not to see this house get finished.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I think I didn't explain very well before the strategy that we have fallen upon (maybe ill chosen terminology) for erecting the trusses.

So I've got this scaffolding arrayed outside the building and similar inside. We drive the digger up with a few trusses on the forks. Then my brother and I walk them sideways off the forks, across the scaffolding and into position. Fix with some temporary bits of wood and shuffle down one and repeat. I'm sure this isn't the way to do it but lol I dunno its the best way we've got to do it.

Making OK progress

Lol so you can sort of see why they left me the brick mario fresco, with the other end of the vaulted room similarly unfinished waiting for the oak purlins to eventually be installed. But that isnt what we agreed and it isn't even to the right height.

Further lol as I'm looking back through my photos at this point Ocado left me a magazine for a student style meal which I just had to make. Potato waffle bean bake.

The trusses are going up pretty quick. I haven't shown you, hmm, need a photo of it but the outer leaf of blockwork is actually too high so I'm having to machine out a little groove for each truss to sit down in. More block layer woes.

So we have a day away to excel for a home build show thing, first one really that I've seen since covid. Its rubbish nothing there, windy day too so pub meal outside is called off.

get back and ah

yeah been windy

Builder absolutely won't come back now.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So I've got this scaffolding arrayed outside the building and similar inside. We drive the digger up with a few trusses on the forks. Then my brother and I walk them sideways off the forks, across the scaffolding and into position. Fix with some temporary bits of wood and shuffle down one and repeat. I'm sure this isn't the way to do it but lol I dunno its the best way we've got to do it.

Maybe they'd crane or forklift a bunch on at one of the ends and then walk them down either side? Or just crane them into place one by one.

Nevermind about those purlins then. Do you think it'd still have happened if you were using dense block instead of that lightweight stuff?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jaded Burnout posted:

Nevermind about those purlins then. Do you think it'd still have happened if you were using dense block instead of that lightweight stuff?

No its one of my issues with the lightweight block. It defo wouldn't have happened cos the mario bricks at the other end didn't blow over.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Sure are a lot of trusses. But I guess it's better to have more than liz trusses.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looks like you got the upgraded, "I plan on doing something with my attic some day, maybe" trusses. Any, uh, plans for upstairs yet. Looks like you have roughly 1000 sq ft between two rooms up there to start that coffin-building business you were talking about last page

Edit: Sorry to hear about your brother in Florida

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

No its one of my issues with the lightweight block. It defo wouldn't have happened cos the mario bricks at the other end didn't blow over.

:(

The existing 90s extension in my place is made from it, two storeys tall. You can practically push a screwdriver into it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Aren't the lightweight blocks much better insulators tho? Aircrete or something?

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Thermolite blocks are the devil.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My suggestion is to build houses from wood.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

His Divine Shadow posted:

My suggestion is to build houses from wood.

We already do that with treehouses. Also sheds are a kind of house for your paintcans?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

Aren't the lightweight blocks much better insulators tho? Aircrete or something?

In general multifunction products are a compromise on both fronts, thermalite is just not good to work with, weaker, and you still need additional insulation anyway. Just use decent insulation instead.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Should probably have paid more attention to the blocks that were used in my extension. Ah well, who cares house warm

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I know gascrete/aircrete blocks have somewhat of a load-bearing capacity, but not that much and I've only seen them used for internal, non-structural walls and such where especially the sound-insulating qualities are a nice thing to have.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

The aircrete blocks are much better thermally and also as said for sound insulation, which helps your energy calcs. Their load bearing capacity is fine. But they are still flimsy as poo poo, like I guess they don't compress down in terms of load but you could basically Kool-aid man through all the walls.

I am really wary of putting a ladder up against a wall incase my great weight pushes the whole thing over. Its why we decided against walking the roof trusses down from one end and sitting them in place. Also fixing into them is a pain as they are so crumbly.

A lot of houses round here would be aircrete blocks on the inside, a cavity, then heavy bricks on the outer leaf, with the two tied together with wall ties, the stronger brick helping the whole construction to feel much more rigid. The actual weight of the roof would still be bearing on the inner, aircrete leaf though. My problem is that both inner and outer leafs are this lightweight blockwork. I contacted the manufacturer and they confirmed this was acceptable, and ok for two storeys. But having done it, they're talking poo poo.

Another advantage of the aircrete block is that being so light and easy to cut (just use a handsaw) they are so much easier to work with. But my brickie was charging by the block regardless of type so what the hell do I care how hard they are to work with?

Hadlock posted:

Looks like you got the upgraded, "I plan on doing something with my attic some day, maybe" trusses. Any, uh, plans for upstairs yet. Looks like you have roughly 1000 sq ft between two rooms up there to start that coffin-building business you were talking about last page

I'm definitely not going to put in a semi permanent loft ladder (staircase) and use the upstairs as an office, storage and extra bedroom. nope, not doing that.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

One disadvantage of the dense concrete block is they really are tough as hell. I had to get a proper SDS drill and was grinding through carbide bits just drilling holes for screws.

When they cut the core out for the boiler flume it took a full hour to get through both leaves.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaded Burnout posted:

One disadvantage of the dense concrete block is they really are tough as hell. I had to get a proper SDS drill and was grinding through carbide bits just drilling holes for screws.

When they cut the core out for the boiler flume it took a full hour to get through both leaves.

Yeah my house is 1940s shuttered poured concrete, and the extension is Aircrete blocks (at least on the inside). Drilling holes in the extension is a piece of piss, but in the old house it needs the Big Drill, a few bits, water to cool off the red-hot bits, and creates a loving poo poo ton of dust

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah my house is 1940s shuttered poured concrete, and the extension is Aircrete blocks (at least on the inside). Drilling holes in the extension is a piece of piss, but in the old house it needs the Big Drill, a few bits, water to cool off the red-hot bits, and creates a loving poo poo ton of dust

Shuttered poured concrete makes me think you live in an underground bomb shelter

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Just Winging It posted:

I know gascrete/aircrete blocks have somewhat of a load-bearing capacity, but not that much and I've only seen them used for internal, non-structural walls and such where especially the sound-insulating qualities are a nice thing to have.

quote:

As per standards published in 2003 by ASTM, an international building standards non-profit, all concrete blocks must support at least 1,700 pounds of weight per square inch (PSI).

So quite a bit really, bearing in mind that's the minimum. Apparently clay bricks are ~3000 PSI and standard "Type N" mortar for external use with bricks is 750 PSI.

Yeah they're crumbly if you ever have to drill through them, and they'll break into fine dust if you put a hammer near them, but for the type of loading they're put under, they're more than adequate.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

lol stepping outside the timeline again but the company I bought my skylights from gave me an amazon voucher if I sent them pictures.

The picture that now comes up on google for their skylights in the ads bit is my skylight!

Quite proud.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

although I guess defo don't buy from them lol if I'm their best example

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Salisbury Snape posted:

Shuttered poured concrete makes me think you live in an underground bomb shelter

For some reason this made economic sense in Ireland while everyone else was off fighting WW2. Or maybe the council planners were thinking about bomb-resistance. It's certainly very Wifi-signal-resistant

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

although I guess defo don't buy from them lol if I'm their best example

"So easy even this prick can install them!"

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I forgot how I found this thread but now I'm caught up and enraptured, need more L-shaped posts to fill the void.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Dammit now I want to build an L shaped granite bbq

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think I didn't explain very well before the strategy that we have fallen upon (maybe ill chosen terminology) for erecting the trusses.

Making OK progress

Lol so you can sort of see why they left me the brick mario fresco, with the other end of the vaulted room similarly unfinished waiting for the oak purlins to eventually be installed. But that isnt what we agreed and it isn't even to the right height.

Further lol as I'm looking back through my photos at this point Ocado left me a magazine for a student style meal which I just had to make. Potato waffle bean bake.

The trusses are going up pretty quick. I haven't shown you, hmm, need a photo of it but the outer leaf of blockwork is actually too high so I'm having to machine out a little groove for each truss to sit down in. More block layer woes.

So we have a day away to excel for a home build show thing, first one really that I've seen since covid. Its rubbish nothing there, windy day too so pub meal outside is called off.

get back and ah

yeah been windy

Builder absolutely won't come back now.

So what actually fell over, I can't tell? Also, don't concrete block walls get some kind of reinforcing rod grouted in vertically?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

So what actually fell over, I can't tell?

The top of the block wall opposite the mario wall fell off. You can see it in the drone photo.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Also, don't concrete block walls get some kind of reinforcing rod grouted in vertically?

Depends on where in the structure it is, but not as a matter of course (lol). Once it's all together they're not required to freestand like that against the wind.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Jaded Burnout posted:

The top of the block wall opposite the mario wall fell off. You can see it in the drone photo.

Depends on where in the structure it is, but not as a matter of course (lol). Once it's all together they're not required to freestand like that against the wind.

OK, that all makes sense, thanks!
ed: yup, now I see it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

All of the wall plates need to be tied down every 1.5m or so with wallplate straps as shown below. The trusses themselves are attached to the wallplates with... well americans seem to call them hurricane clips... I think we just call them like tc38s or something. Very dramatic americans but I prefer it I think.

Also in this picture you see my milkcrate step that I've inherited from my parents and is like a million years old and dates from when before Maggie thatcher ruined everything and we used to get milk bottles delivered to our homes. Its a very useful tool, a just about enough step.

Also also that big horizontal timber is maybe not right, difficult to tell from the plans and I rang the dudes and they said it was wrong and no don't put that in.

But I'd already put it in.

Oh so also the wallstraps need predrilling and rawlplugs installed cos of these rubbish crumbly blocks

Love these shots, like where you launch your space fighter down the launch tunnel

got all the attic trusses installed and now the corner girder trusses and stuff

round the corner

and some more

nice photo

view back of my lovely brick wall that will ow forever more be known as the mario wall.

detail look at the corner details. So all these brackets are supposed to be done with nails but that sucks and is too difficult so I've used special simpson screws that I've OK with building regs.

I kind of suck and it would be much better, although slower for me to use these screws than hamfistedly mash everything up with a hammer and nails.

Some of the tight spaces need special equipment to screw in. Bought this a while back and its kind of lol but gets the job done...

My L shape drill attachment

https://i.imgur.com/0SFWkVI.mp4

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I kind of suck and it would be much better, although slower for me to use these screws than hamfistedly mash everything up with a hammer and nails.

Why would you use a hammer when nailguns exist

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That looks like the most complicated way to get that done.

In the US this would most commonly be done with a palm nailer (air driven) and tico nails. I don't know what those things would be called in the commonwealth or if they exist.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Why would you use a hammer when nailguns exist

because I can't really find a nailgun that lets me nail really accurately into metal brackets. Like it just doesnt seem to exist.

I have a first fix nailgun which comes in really handy soon, and is honestly one of the best buys I've ever made.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah a palm nailer is I think what I wanted but I don't think exists here? Discovered it after

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

all the other simpson screws I used impact driver to put in, yes still slower than nailgun but much faster than screwdriver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I'm with you on screws being much nicer than nails