Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

both my roosters died this week. mini-moose had been failing for a few weeks for no visible reason, he was still young and very healthy but suddenly took a turn for the worse. moose, who brooded him as a chick, stayed with him day and night for the last few days (they slept inside in a box together at night) and when it got cold she would put her wing over him, even though he was fully grown. he was snuggled up against her when he died. i gave his body to the ravens. a few days after that kestrel went over the fence, and the next day the ravens helpfully placed his picked-clean but intact headless skeleton (wings, legs and spine) on a log beside my back gate. they also stole my dog's kong, so i think it may be lean times for them right now. they've since delivered two lamb leg bones to my backyard, possibly in a gesture of reconciliation.

in conclusion, the birds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Little Moose getting cradled by Mama Moose... :qq:

God that's sweet.

Home now and found a survivor stripped of most of her feathers and skin and partly eaten waaaaaay in the back of the hutch. We've suspected foxes were in the neighborhood, but haven't actually seen any; does this sound like their predation behavior? The head was still attached which is why I don't think this was a raccoon.

The hutch I built was lightweight, easy to move, and easy to clean, but it seems like it needed to be more secure as well. Whatever attacked managed to wedge the corner of the hutch's lid down into the body of the coop and enter that way. I probably should have made a sturdier roof or latching system from the start. :(

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

my cat is norris posted:

God that's sweet.

Home now and found a survivor stripped of most of her feathers and skin and partly eaten waaaaaay in the back of the hutch. We've suspected foxes were in the neighborhood, but haven't actually seen any; does this sound like their predation behavior? The head was still attached which is why I don't think this was a raccoon.

The hutch I built was lightweight, easy to move, and easy to clean, but it seems like it needed to be more secure as well. Whatever attacked managed to wedge the corner of the hutch's lid down into the body of the coop and enter that way. I probably should have made a sturdier roof or latching system from the start. :(

Ugh, that’s brutal. I don’t know anything about foxes but the pushing the corner to get in and partly eating what it could reach sounds like a dog-type thing to me.

an egg posted:

both my roosters died this week.

Sorry about your birds. You are kind to the ravens and that is admirable.

We’ve had a hawk in the woods for a few days now. I run around shaking my fist at it and it laughs as it flies away.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

stay safe birds!

question: we have a broody hen, and we've decided to let her hatch some eggs (i really want some babies from a particular rooster before he gets culled)

she isn't laying but her sister and the other hens are. she started sitting on some eggs from the 29th, and has 3 from the 29th, 1 from the 31st, and 3 from today. is that too big of a date range? should i have her start over and hold the eggs aside before i give them to her all at once? or just hope that there is another broody to take over the newer eggs when hatching time is close?

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

City of Glompton posted:

stay safe birds!

question: we have a broody hen, and we've decided to let her hatch some eggs (i really want some babies from a particular rooster before he gets culled)

she isn't laying but her sister and the other hens are. she started sitting on some eggs from the 29th, and has 3 from the 29th, 1 from the 31st, and 3 from today. is that too big of a date range? should i have her start over and hold the eggs aside before i give them to her all at once? or just hope that there is another broody to take over the newer eggs when hatching time is close?

I think it depends on the hen but mine usually don’t sit for more than 1 day after any have hatched. I would scrap all those and give her some new eggs all at once.

In my broody news, I have some shipped eggs in the incubator for Rose (Partridge Rock like my beloved Blazer, RIP) but they were so scrambled in the mail I don’t think any will develop. :( I set some of our Legbar/Leghorn eggs the same day so she will get a few chicks to love at least.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

thank you...i went ahead and took them from her and we'll start anew to be on the safe side

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

my cat is norris posted:

:qq:

After Bella's passing, Molly & Nova have been subdued and we're trying to keep them interested and entertained with things. Honestly thought Bella would go onto a grand old age and eventually be top hen, but it was not to be. Molly and Nova are not natural friends (Molly doesn't do that), but they've been sitting together more now. Nova doesn't like being outside either.

Also not helping is the very hot weather in the UK of late.

On Sunday 14th of August we will be bringing home three new ex-batts courtesy of the BHWT. Hopefully that should inject some life back into the flock, get Mols and Nova interested in being out in the garden again and teach the new arrivals how to be retired garden hens.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 2, 2022

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Had some lumber left from making the stand for the coop, so I threw together a swing/roosting bar contraption to spoil the girls.

They're not impressed yet.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

garden please?

???

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

City of Glompton posted:

garden please?

???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvrxcR-gdQ0&t=23s

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

lol

one of the australorps did find her way in later (i left the janky gate ajar) but she was all alone and it scared her to be away from her sisters :ohdear:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

City of Glompton posted:

garden please?

???

Best snacks are forbidden snacks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/qPm6mhi.mp4

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Got to remember to rotate your hens

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's not my imagination. Since 2 of them died early last week, the other 4 ARE looking healthier. Miss Green here's comb has never been so big and bright, and all of them look like they've grown new tailfeathers. Maybe we had too many for our space!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Miss Green is all kinds of adorable.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

She looks happy! I’m glad losing the 2 didn’t affect the flock too negatively.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I just rescued my Sussex legbar from the jaws of a fox. She’s OK, lost a few feathers, but we got down in time and scared it away…

Does anyone have any decent ways to scare foxes away? I’m worried it’s going to come back and finish the job when I’m not paying attention…

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

the birds :h:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Scientastic posted:

I just rescued my Sussex legbar from the jaws of a fox. She’s OK, lost a few feathers, but we got down in time and scared it away…

Does anyone have any decent ways to scare foxes away? I’m worried it’s going to come back and finish the job when I’m not paying attention…

Wow, I’m glad you saved her! That had to be scary!

Do you have a dog? I would think a fox would avoid areas that smell like another predator. If you don’t have one you could have a friend’s dog over to mark your yard periodically.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Scientastic posted:

Glad she's safe. One of ours (Queen Pip) got caught by a fox, but managed to get away. She was pretty sore for a few days, so we got her checked by a vet who prescribed Metacam for the pain/discomfort. There were some puncture wounds that healed quickly, but she got a [wrenched] shoulder injury that meant a limited range of movement in the right wing from then on. She also lost a lot of feathers from the attack and a stress moult followed afterwards. Pip made a full recovery.

Scientastic posted:

We booked a pest control company to deal with the fox as was told it would keep coming back, and it did. If there was another way to deal with it we would. :smith:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Scientastic posted:

It will keep coming back, I'm sorry.

I don't think they're too deterred by the smell of dogs (unless the dog is actively there with them). I trapped a young male and released it into the woods about 10km away, wishing it a long happy of life of eating things besides chickens. I understand that's not something everyone can or would want to do though.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Traps may be a good option. :\ I've heard coyote urine can also help, but idk how large your yard is...you can't go overboard with that stuff, and if you have only a small space, even a tiny bit of coyote stank can be overwhelming.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I've heard of people having success with a motion sprinkler like this if you have enough room around the coop.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

my cat is norris posted:

Traps may be a good option. :\ I've heard coyote urine can also help, but idk how large your yard is...you can't go overboard with that stuff, and if you have only a small space, even a tiny bit of coyote stank can be overwhelming.

We live in the UK, so I’m not sure how easily I can get hold of coyote urine…

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Scientastic posted:

We live in the UK, so I’m not sure how easily I can get hold of coyote urine…

You'd be surprised*

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coyote-Urine-4-Ounce/dp/B0000AVXJ8?th=1

*I was surprised.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

My mom just got a bunch of easter egger chicks and they are so adorable. One sadly passed overnight but the other 9 are looking good!

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

ChaseSP posted:

My mom just got a bunch of easter egger chicks and they are so adorable. One sadly passed overnight but the other 9 are looking good!

The kind with the fluffy cheeks*? They are cute!

Edit: as opposed to the kind with the hat like I breed from Crested Legbars. Which are also cute.

Joburg fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 6, 2022

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
But if coyotes are not endemic to the UK, would a fox avoid the smell of them?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Imagined posted:

But if coyotes are not endemic to the UK, would a fox avoid the smell of them?

The strong scent from human male urine (and only male urine) masks a male fox's pungent scent, and can often force them out. But you can buy urea-based products that do the same job (and won't upset your cat). The best can be expensive, so ask at a garden centre, or seek advice from the National Fox Welfare Society.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Joburg posted:

The kind with the fluffy cheeks*? They are cute!

Edit: as opposed to the kind with the hat like I breed from Crested Legbars. Which are also cute.

They're not even a week old so we can't really tell but we're looking forward to seeing them grow!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I teach photogrammetry for video games and I am remaking my tutorial website for my students. This is my example object:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

If I weren’t forums-dumb I would make that my avatar.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Joburg posted:

Only if it wore a Voyager era communicator.

:colbert:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Captain Log posted:

Only if it wore a Voyager era communicator.

:colbert:

And had a Bun of Steel instead of the hat.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Joburg posted:

Its a 3d model. I can pose it anyway you want and against any background.
It's originally a cheap toy I bought for my kid from Target.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Alterian posted:

Its a 3d model. I can pose it anyway you want and against any background.
It's originally a cheap toy I bought for my kid from Target.

I think I would miss Janeway too much so I better not. Thanks though, you’re a peach :)

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe