Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

MotoGP is finally back hurray!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

SocksAndSandals posted:

Replaced by Crutchlow looks like. Seemed like he was having a rough time of it

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/dovizioso-quits-misano-crutchlow-rnf/10348513/

Ya he sounded pretty miserable from everything I read. I'm guessing he's only limping along to Misano for sponsor commitments and would be gone sooner if he could.

e: I'm more interested if this means Frankie finally gets Focada back

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 5, 2022

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Russian Bear posted:

MotoGP is finally back hurray!
Wonder how rusty everyone is gonna be after FIVE weeks away

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Just tuning in for qualifying, and good lord Aleix that was a hard crash in practice

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Was a bit "oook then..." when Aleix was declared fit. It seems you have to moreorless lose an appendage to be declared unfit for the GP!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gregbest90 posted:

Was a bit "oook then..." when Aleix was declared fit. It seems you have to moreorless lose an appendage to be declared unfit for the GP!

If he was that badly hurt what was the dudes in 7-12th places excuse?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

As usual I got way behind on watching the races this summer. I did (barely) manage to get caught back up by Silverstone, by watching all of Assen today / tonight. I'm glad I did because all three races were excellent and now I'm hyped for the rest of the season.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
There's also the Endurance World Championship currently going on, in Suzuka. 8 hours, started 4 hours ago. If you can find a stream.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

busalover posted:

There's also the Endurance World Championship currently going on, in Suzuka. 8 hours, started 4 hours ago. If you can find a stream.

Well there goes the Ducati.

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Slavvy posted:

If he was that badly hurt what was the dudes in 7-12th places excuse?

Obviously it can't be that bad - just pointing out the swiftness of the "declared fit" process, given it's transpired in some circumstances, the rider shouldn't have ridden. Not knocking on Aleix here...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah no I tend to agree with you, after the various concussion shenanigans and the fall of The Marc they made some noises about tightening up the process and making it more difficult to pass the physical, but it seems they can't find a doctor sufficiently lacking in passione

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Well that was dramatic.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

busalover posted:

Well that was dramatic.

Moto3 races on wide tracks like this are always super entertaining, they can take so many different lines through each section.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh Zarco

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Vinales what a roller coaster

great race

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
MotoGP race was great, but Moto3 was a brawler

I’m an Oncu fan since i saw him and his brother way back in the Asia Talent Cup in Sepang

He rightly copped some stick in the past for aggressive moves that took either himself or someone else out, but it seems lately he’s learnt how to stay aggressive without loving it up…. a podium is good but i think he deserved to win today

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Dang, I was rooting for the Bin man to get Pecco at the end.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ffs binales. Those five laps he spent mincing around behind rins hosed him, the guy really needs to learn to fucken pass so he's less irritating to watch. Never seen someone with that much more pace throw away a win without crashing.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I was laughing my rear end off as he was repeatedly running wide on the last lap, he's lucky he had Miller behind him because I'm sure anybody else would've had some tire left and nabbed 2nd off him.

My legitimate running theory on him is that he's just been so insanely gifted growing up that he hasn't had to learn the racecraft and strategy side of things and its showing in a really ugly way now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

italian quid posted:

My legitimate running theory on him is that he's just been so insanely gifted growing up that he hasn't had to learn the racecraft and strategy side of things and its showing in a really ugly way now.

This is my conclusion too.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
OK, but it's still Vinales finishing second on an aprilia. Like, I just don't even know what to do with this information.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

And with a terrible first lap. As is tradition.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Watched 3 & 2 first, total mayhem as expected. GG Peco.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

OK, but it's still Vinales finishing second on an aprilia. Like, I just don't even know what to do with this information.

Aleix won a race on it, binales should be outperforming him in every race at this point. Like he thinks he's doing well but in reality he's underperforming imo

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Aleix won a race on it, binales should be outperforming him in every race at this point. Like he thinks he's doing well but in reality he's underperforming imo

I still haven’t quite wrapped my head around that either, to be honest.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Slavvy posted:

He made a comment after the race to the effect of "We just need to start better/qualify higher" which makes me think he doesn't actually understand that he lost that race because he completely burnt up his tire and is still in his weird binales "I need to line up A, B, C and D in a sequence to win on a race weekend" mentality. He's not very adaptable as a racer, he's just on a more adaptable bike now than the Yamaha was.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Well now that we've got that one race a season where Binales does well out of the way, time to resume normal programming

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 11, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

italian quid posted:

He made a comment after the race to the effect of "We just need to start better/qualify higher" which makes me think he doesn't actually understand that he lost that race because he completely burnt up his tire and is still in his weird binales "I need to line up A, B, C and D in a sequence to win on a race weekend" mentality. He's not very adaptable as a racer, he's just on a more adaptable bike now than the Yamaha was.

He didn't though, he managed his tyre perfectly, he just couldn't pass rins for five laps and took forever to pass everyone else in his way, then just hosed up completely on the last lap. He wasn't running wide cause he had no tyre left.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Dude ran wide three times on the last lap, I'm pretty firmly of the opinion his tire was shot lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You don't run wide from a ruined back tire, how does that even make sense??

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

suspect the guy just can't keep his emotions in check during a race and gets to excited (which given what happened at Yamaha seems realistic)

That and no idea how to setup an overtake using the areas in which the bike has an advantage

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

His lines were fine the lap before, he clearly had mental issues more than traction issues

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He had a go at bagnaia, got bitch slapped appropriately, then got panicky and made a bunch of mistakes trying to catch up really quickly instead of just letting his place creep him closer and strike at the end. He also doesn't seem to realize he's probably on the best-braking bike on the grid ATM.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Yeah looked to my untrained eye like he got the door shut on him and that totally threw him off and he just made like 3 mistakes in a row because he got flustered.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I honestly think the Aprilia could be wiping the floor with everyone ATM if they had a decent front running rider. Aleix is upper midfield at best and it's making him look incredible, binales can't sort himself out.

I think they have a fundamental mechanical grip advantage because of the way they've integrated their aero with their shapeshifter devices, which seem to be smoother and more useable deeper in the corner than Ducati's. If they can maintain a similar advantage next season and binales stays himself, I would expect Oliveira to be their best rider by far. But nothing ever happens like you expect in this poo poo.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

I honestly think the Aprilia could be wiping the floor with everyone ATM if they had a decent front running rider. Aleix is upper midfield at best and it's making him look incredible, binales can't sort himself out.

I think they have a fundamental mechanical grip advantage because of the way they've integrated their aero with their shapeshifter devices, which seem to be smoother and more useable deeper in the corner than Ducati's. If they can maintain a similar advantage next season and binales stays himself, I would expect Oliveira to be their best rider by far. But nothing ever happens like you expect in this poo poo.

This is a good point.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Aleix is back out there, crushing 3hr bicycle rides in the mountains. Pretty unreal.

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Slavvy posted:

Mate, I think you're right on this one (right down to the praying that Oliveira doesn't crumble as soon as adversity arises...)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think Miguel is the opposite, I reckon he's one of the ones who chokes when it's all going well like zarco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I’m catching some WSBK highlights while we wait for more motogp and I will rate Rae’s bike picking up technique a b-.