Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tomarse posted:

I'm with you on screws being much nicer than nails

Screws are not the same strength in shear as nails. They have their places and it's not always about about convenience or preference. In the US we do have rated structural screws available (simpson strong tie/simpson ledger lock are what I've used) but they are definitely their own thing/larger diameter/etc. They are also a lot more expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Yeah screws were not good enough in shear, its why I chose the simpson ones designed for it and OK'd it with building control.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

it boils my piss really that we dont have palm nailers here. americans are so much better at everything

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

its basically robocop hands

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

americans are so much better at everything

Let's not get out of control and say thing we're really gonna want to take back here.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I was just too curious and had to check, but Amazon UK has many palm nailers available and https://bostitch.co.uk/products/tool-details/pn50-e/

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i guess i suck at buying stuff. I hope an actual uk person who is more of a pro comes in and tells me why I haven't in fact just done that?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

because I guess you could use that to nail down clay tiles too?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
It just adds to the thread you keep doing what you do!! Love every update

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

My instinct here is to laugh in appreciation of how on brand this is but I'm genuinely envious and wish I'd thought to look for something like this before attempting the billion bodge jobs that are holding my house together

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Tomarse posted:

I'm with you on screws being much nicer than nails

I actually like nails more, looks better, thinking about paneling now which is what I've been doing all summer. But screws are easier to get into certain places and to aim. Also if you ever need to tear it down in 50-80 years to replace it, gonna be glad for nails since those screws aren't coming out.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yeah a palm nailer is I think what I wanted but I don't think exists here? Discovered it after

This also happened with me after I got done hand-nailing in the brackets for my roof joists.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i guess i suck at buying stuff. I hope an actual uk person who is more of a pro comes in and tells me why I haven't in fact just done that?

Sorry bud, I think it's the right tool for the job, just not one that lives in our national consciousness. I did think about it when doing mine but a) due to being uncommon I also thought they weren't sold here, instead there's just not many options, and b) I thought they were more like a normal nail gun but for confined spaces, instead of what they are which is a sort of impact driver for regular nails. I'll probably try one myself if another big hand nailing job appears.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

because I guess you could use that to nail down clay tiles too?

Foreshadowing a lot of hard work?

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Aug 8, 2022

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

Also if you ever need to tear it down in 50-80 years to replace it, gonna be glad for nails since those screws aren't coming out.

There's some slightly wacky screws I found recently which you nailgun in, but then can unscrew after, so a sort of best of both worlds? They didn't wind up being what I needed so I never used them in the end, maybe I'll try them for the deck.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Personally I appreciate the commitment to the L-shaped tool. Ahhh, life is beautiful, fractals in everything.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Party Boat posted:

My instinct here is to laugh in appreciation of how on brand this is but I'm genuinely envious and wish I'd thought to look for something like this before attempting the billion bodge jobs that are holding my house together

If you've got even one job that requires drilling like that you might want to consider being a little bit nicer to yourself and.....

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Use nothing but direct mechanical wood joints and a lot of glue.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

goatface posted:

Use nothing but direct mechanical wood joints and a lot of glue.

Ah, someone who has not seen the drawbore light

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

modern ai technology is defo starting to save self builders money

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

those aren't my clay soils, nice tidy trenches

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I've been working on insulating my loft here in Canada recently. I have an asphalt shingle roof which is nailed on from above. The loft has low headspace, and so I've scratched my back fairly badly and impaled my elbow, and mildly scratched my head at least once on nails.

I do not like nails.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I dunno the relevance to anything, but as I was cooking dinner I took the frying pan out of the oven to move things about before returning it, I put the pan down on the cooktop and there was a pot of boiling potatoes next to it. Well as I lean in close with my face and spatula, a hot drop of water flies out of the pot and strikes my hand. Bam! Involuntary reflex and my arm pulls away and I hit myself in the face, hard. While still dazed and shocked from that, I grab the oven hot frying pan with my bare hand.

I felt like mr bean or something.

Oh well on with the thread.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 10, 2022

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I dunno the relevance to anything, but as I was cooking dinner I took the frying pan out of the oven to move things about before returning it, I put the pan down on the cooktop and there was a pot of boiling potatoes next to it. Well as I lean in close with my face and spatula, a hot drop of water flies out of the pot and strikes my hand. Bam! Involuntary reflex and my arm pulls away and I hit myself in the face, hard. While still dazed and shocked from that, I grab the oven hot frying pan with my bare hand.

I felt like mr bean or something.

Oh well on with the thread.

I remember the first time I used my new cast iron pan, the first one I'd got. I'd literally said to myself outloud before using it "Right, don't grab the handle without a glove or a towel, it's going to be super hot". Fully grabbed it 10 mins later barehanded and burnt the poo poo out of three fingers and my palm.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I curse the lord daily for my lack of Predator heat vision. When I get my cybernetic eyes I'll definitely pay for that feature.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

The corner bit of roof is more complicated.

so it turns out either I (nope) or the roof truss company (yep) hosed up and the drawings dont make sense and I've run out of the great big bits of wood I need for all the hips. So I'm off to miles away to get some more for like a hundred quid at least. I can't remember but everything is at least a hundred quid.

wham

Brother visiting. Tommy two tesla

Then the oak arrives

This is for the four King A frames in the open plan vaulted wing, the ridge and purlins that go with that and the frame for the front of the car port

digger obvs. btw all this oak comes from france.

Lol then the truck gets stuck. Without the weight of the oak on it it can't get traction and get out.

So I drop a grab bag of sand on its bed to let it get some traction and its fine and makes its way out

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

This is starting to look a lot like a house, which is weird.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Does the oak come from France because England cut all the trees down during the age of sail? Or is my half-remembered armchair history knowledge faulty?

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
200? mm square French oak posts are some tasty (and probably pricey) bits of wood.

Ninja edit: France has apparently been doing the managing forests for a steady supply of quality wood esp. oak for a few centuries now (at least that's what I was once told). Timber was one of the premier resources extracted from the American colonies by the UK, so concurrent or even predating Age of Sail I think.

Just Winging It fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 11, 2022

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

There's big areas of the UK devoid of trees due to the bronze age

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
English anything is expensive.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

English oak is definitely easily available in different parts of the country, I tried wherever possible to buy "local-ish". Import might've been cheaper?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I didn't know the oak was coming from France till it turned up, from France.

Real-time alert!

Building site was broken into last night and my security camera wires clipped!

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

They new where to hit, looks like an inside job

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I didn't know the oak was coming from France till it turned up, from France.

Real-time alert!

Anything missing?

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Back to nail gun topic: I bought myself a new paslode IM350+ this morning. Nailing featheredge by hand is a no loving go. £468+vat is a whole heap better than wankers cramp for the next week.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Real-time alert!

How rude!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Sounds like retaliation for the village green you destroyed.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Did they actually nick anything? Was there anything of immediate value on site?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

goatface posted:

Did they actually nick anything? Was there anything of immediate value on site?

Rather than under it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lost all the car batteries and a compressor. Neighbours lawn mower. A day faffing around. My sense of security. My faith in humanity.