Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Welp it was 110 Friday and we’ve had not a single day in the past two weeks at least, that wasn’t triple digits.

So it’s a great time for our thermostats to be reading 78 and 75, respectively, and on the kids’ side of the house.

Reset the circuit breakers at the air handler and the condenser, will cross my fingers. The condenser kind of came on but the impeller fan didn’t, and when I crawled up to the attic the air handler was running. I still changed the filter for good measure, and the damper control dial was turned to OFF, so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Well I took this week off work to paint my house. I've pressure washed it, caulked every seam of my vertical wood siding, scraped a lot of chipped paint, sanded a lot of spots and caulked a few cracks etc. Removed my down spouts. Repaired a few different spots.

Holy poo poo it's a lot of work and I'm not remotely shy of manual labor. I'm not even painting yet. I knew it was going to be a lot of work but it's like 10x more than I even thought. Wood siding is a metric gently caress ton of work especially when it's neglected.

I tried to rent a paint sprayer from my tool library but they were all rented out or being fixed. I looked at the rental houses and they were just at much for three days as if I just bought one. I'm probably going to spend a full day masking my eaves and windows.

Maybe $8,000 wasn't so far fetched of a bid and is sounding more digestible by the day.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Verman posted:

Well I took this week off work to paint my house. I've pressure washed it, caulked every seam of my vertical wood siding, scraped a lot of chipped paint, sanded a lot of spots and caulked a few cracks etc. Removed my down spouts. Repaired a few different spots.

Holy poo poo it's a lot of work and I'm not remotely shy of manual labor. I'm not even painting yet. I knew it was going to be a lot of work but it's like 10x more than I even thought. Wood siding is a metric gently caress ton of work especially when it's neglected.

I tried to rent a paint sprayer from my tool library but they were all rented out or being fixed. I looked at the rental houses and they were just at much for three days as if I just bought one. I'm probably going to spend a full day masking my eaves and windows.

Maybe $8,000 wasn't so far fetched of a bid and is sounding more digestible by the day.

Now that you've done the backbreaking prep work you'd probably get a good quote on the remainder!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Verman posted:

8K all in? Including materials and paint?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

SpartanIvy posted:

If you really want to wok n roll, I recommend getting a separate high pressure propane burner. You cannot get comparable results on even a natural gas or propane stove with standard burners.

I found mine for cheap on Facebook. Some hick in a trailer park was using it as a turkey fryer.

You could modify a charcoal chimney too, if you don't already have a whole propane setup! It's what I've been doing this summer with pretty good results:

Jut had to add those standoffs to get airflow through the chimney. If you do this make sure you use stainless steel because I guess galvanized will give off lung-melting vapors when it heats up.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

skipdogg posted:

8K all in? Including materials and paint?

Without paint/primer.

I get 40-50% off Sherwin Williams paint from a family member so those quotes were minus paint.

We bought the paint and it was around $850 after the discount. Was going to be around $1500 without. 5 gallons of primer. 10 gallons of paint. 2 gallons for trim and beams.

I used about 10 tubes of caulk. I estimated that I caulked about a half mile of seams. 8' per seam, 2 seams per foot around the house. 160ft circumference. It's incredibly satisfying to lay down a perfect bead of caulk, one handed in a single pass.

It's a sickness really.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Regarding gas stoves, maybe it's time to reconsider them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX2aZUav-54

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elder Postsman posted:

If you do this make sure you use stainless steel because I guess galvanized will give off lung-melting vapors when it heats up.

Indeed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever

Well know to welders. Not at all fun to have.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

Regarding gas stoves, maybe it's time to reconsider them?

Video was too bad to watch, but I'm sure I've got the gist. It's what's been going on lately.

Getting rid of gas stoves is going to fix climate change in just the same way that putting flow restrictors on residential shower heads is going to fix California's water problems.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

My understanding is that it’s less related to impact on climate change and more about what burning gas in an enclosed space does to air quality.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Motronic posted:

Video was too bad to watch, but I'm sure I've got the gist. It's what's been going on lately.

Getting rid of gas stoves is going to fix climate change in just the same way that putting flow restrictors on residential shower heads is going to fix California's water problems.

Don't forget about the talking point about indoor air quality being bad with gas stoves without any consideration being given to if the stove is being properly vented or even hooked up without leaks.

E: I have not watched the linked video yet

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Motronic posted:

Hey if we all do our part, we can collectively reduce our water consumption by one half a commercial almond orchard!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my final project starts today, the one piece shower/tub surround to tiled walk-in shower conversion! I will post a picture at the end of each day. Today will be short as someone will just be coming in to demo the current surround. I'm sure it will be noisy.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

ScooterMcTiny posted:

My understanding is that it’s less related to impact on climate change and more about what burning gas in an enclosed space does to air quality.

Its this. There are a ton of recent studies showing the long term affects that air quality can have on you.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
We actually bought an air quality monitor for our house (in addition to a radon monitor).

Everything is mostly normal except for VOC spikes we're trying to figure out. Mostly at noon on weekdays and around 6 pm on weekends. Spikes high and then levels back off over an hour or two.

Saturday we cooked some popcorn and that poo poo went nuts (it's two rooms over from the kitchen).

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

While I'm sure the air quality is not an issue with proper venting and hookups, I have never actually seen with my own two eyes a home that had both. I envy you guys who live in places where apartment kitchens get vented to the outdoors, but it just doesn't exist where I'm from.

My understanding was that the transport of natural gas is leaky as hell too. I genuinely don't know if getting rid of residential natural gas is like residential water restrictions in that it would be a drop in the bucket compared to commercial use which isn't being addressed. But I've yet to see any data that didn't have an industry agenda behind it, so :shrug:

BonoMan posted:

We actually bought an air quality monitor for our house (in addition to a radon monitor).

Everything is mostly normal except for VOC spikes we're trying to figure out. Mostly at noon on weekdays and around 6 pm on weekends. Spikes high and then levels back off over an hour or two.

Saturday we cooked some popcorn and that poo poo went nuts (it's two rooms over from the kitchen).

Do you have restaurants nearby? I'd guess traffic for people going to eat.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 8, 2022

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

ssb posted:

Let's talk more about this because it would save me a bit of trouble. Historically, I have hated electric stoves because I like instant burner temperature changes (especially I hate waiting for them to heat up forever), I like to be able to visually see the flame to help gauge how much heat I'm putting in (this is probably not actually all that important so long as the burner dials are accurate) as well as notice if someone left a burner on, and they in general just seem a lot easier to cook on. Plus you can use it as a quick grill for some veggies or whatever if I don't feel like using an actual grill. Also, you can still use the burners if you lose power, which isn't all that uncommon in rural Virginia.

That said, you raise some good points. I'm not really familiar with induction though other than I think that we probably have a lot of cookware that isn't compatible with it? This isn't a dealbreaker but it's something to think of I guess. I'm not 100% against this if it really does make sense to do.

There were a handful of people itt (myself included) who got the Frigidaire Gallery series a couple months ago that is about 1/3rd the price of other comparable induction ranges per Consumer Reports:

Mine replaced a lovely resistance coil electric, so it is worlds of improvement, but it was specifically chosen in lieu of gas. Part of that was the aforementioned indoor air quality, part of it was due to existing infrastructure (would have needed to pipe the gas there). If yours is gas range and oven it may be the opposite for you needing to get 220V there.

You are right about there not being a quick visual indication from the actual "burners", but with the digital readout it's pretty easy to determine what temp they're all at pretty quickly. Completely understand the concern, as I asked my wife to mark our old stove dials with some high-vis paint (ok, nail polish) to help quickly read them when cooking. For induction specifically, digital would now be my first choice for exactly that reason.

You definitely won't be able to quick grill veggies on the burner, but doing them under the broiler in the oven has done the job for me on this and the previous electric stove.

Cookware you can test by putting a magnet on it. If the magnet sticks, it'll work on induction. Sounds like there are some pans that magnets "kind of" stick to and may or may not work, but all of ours were very clear yes or no when we tested them. Most likely candidates for not working are non-stick, as those are usually aluminum. Again, pros and cons on that part - I lost a pan I liked, but used it as an excuse to buy some new stuff. Cast iron and pretty much any All Clad-style stuff will work on it.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

~Coxy posted:

I just got the Shark XL Pet and with the lift-away function it can get under anything.
I like it way more than the Dyson uprights for multi-floor use, since it has a nice three way position switch on the handle. It is also way quieter.
It might be overkill for you though if you only have a small floor area and mostly hard surfaces.

this is what I've got. works great on pet hair. I wash the filter in the sink every 6 months or so

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Blowjob Overtime posted:

There were a handful of people itt (myself included) who got the Frigidaire Gallery series a couple months ago that is about 1/3rd the price of other comparable induction ranges per Consumer Reports:

Mine replaced a lovely resistance coil electric, so it is worlds of improvement, but it was specifically chosen in lieu of gas. Part of that was the aforementioned indoor air quality, part of it was due to existing infrastructure (would have needed to pipe the gas there). If yours is gas range and oven it may be the opposite for you needing to get 220V there.

You are right about there not being a quick visual indication from the actual "burners", but with the digital readout it's pretty easy to determine what temp they're all at pretty quickly. Completely understand the concern, as I asked my wife to mark our old stove dials with some high-vis paint (ok, nail polish) to help quickly read them when cooking. For induction specifically, digital would now be my first choice for exactly that reason.

You definitely won't be able to quick grill veggies on the burner, but doing them under the broiler in the oven has done the job for me on this and the previous electric stove.

Cookware you can test by putting a magnet on it. If the magnet sticks, it'll work on induction. Sounds like there are some pans that magnets "kind of" stick to and may or may not work, but all of ours were very clear yes or no when we tested them. Most likely candidates for not working are non-stick, as those are usually aluminum. Again, pros and cons on that part - I lost a pan I liked, but used it as an excuse to buy some new stuff. Cast iron and pretty much any All Clad-style stuff will work on it.

Yeah I’ve had this same stove for about a month and it works great. This house had a lovely electric range but alll my previous homes had gas which I loved.

Yeah-no visual indicator for the flame but it’s pretty easy to dial in with the digital controls. Samsung makes one that now has “visual flames” to help out if it’s a huge issue.

I wanted the GE profile because of its ease of use wrt the knobs (on the Frigidaire you have to tap the + and - keys for each burner, with the GE you can slide the virtual knobs which I liked), but it was backordered and almost 4 times the price. Very happy with what I have and holy poo poo does water boil faster than any gas stove I’ve ever come across. It’s almost frighteningly fast using the “P” setting on the burner.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Thank you. Existing stove is electric, and apparently we may have space concerns for plumbing gas up there. I think I'm leaning towards getting an induction as it'll just be the easiest, with the only really annoying thing being removing the platform that the current drop-in is sitting on. I have no idea how I'm going to make that look nice.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BonerGhost posted:

While I'm sure the air quality is not an issue with proper venting and hookups, I have never actually seen with my own two eyes a home that had both. I envy you guys who live in places where apartment kitchens get vented to the outdoors, but it just doesn't exist where I'm from.

My understanding was that the transport of natural gas is leaky as hell too. I genuinely don't know if getting rid of residential natural gas is like residential water restrictions in that it would be a drop in the bucket compared to commercial use which isn't being addressed. But I've yet to see any data that didn't have an industry agenda behind it, so :shrug:

Do you have restaurants nearby? I'd guess traffic for people going to eat.

No restaurant but I *do* live next to a sort of busy roadway. That makes a lot of sense. drat.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

well only a few minutes into the demo and we're already having something unexpected. When he removed the valve trim, water came flying out. I quickly went and turned the water off (I think the right one is the main water supply, and the left is the water heater, but I am keeping both off for now just in case). He said "I've never seen that before" - everything is fine, but the shower valve was turned to off, so I'm not sure where all that water came from.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

sounds like some gasket came off that wasn't supposed to. then I realized who put on that valve trim? oh yeah me. uhhhh

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

ssb posted:

Let's talk more about this because it would save me a bit of trouble. Historically, I have hated electric stoves because I like instant burner temperature changes (especially I hate waiting for them to heat up forever), I like to be able to visually see the flame to help gauge how much heat I'm putting in (this is probably not actually all that important so long as the burner dials are accurate) as well as notice if someone left a burner on, and they in general just seem a lot easier to cook on. Plus you can use it as a quick grill for some veggies or whatever if I don't feel like using an actual grill. Also, you can still use the burners if you lose power, which isn't all that uncommon in rural Virginia.

That said, you raise some good points. I'm not really familiar with induction though other than I think that we probably have a lot of cookware that isn't compatible with it? This isn't a dealbreaker but it's something to think of I guess. I'm not 100% against this if it really does make sense to do.

Ill throw my experience in as well. We moved to our current house in 2015 and one of the first things we did was replace the lovely old style electric range. In our prior home we had installed a very nice gas range and we considered doing that here, but we would need to run about 50 feet of pipe and weren't really up for it. After some research we took the leap and moved to induction, and I will NEVER go back. it owns.

We bought a Samsung ( I think the specific model is not made anymore but it looks similar to this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Samsung...211SS/320714840).

I have used it since January 2016 and have never had a single issue with it, no service calls. It boils water faster than anything else I have ever used. Temp change is very responsive both up and down. Our model has LEDs in the glass top that simulate the look of blue burning gas that go up and down in intensity with the burner setting. Ours has actual knobs, I have used a few others that used push buttons for burner temp and I disliked that interface a lot.

So, A+ highly recommend.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have a samsung slide-in range that looks like that but is just regular electric (I never use my oven). I thought induction ranges were typically wayyy more expensive, like 3k+?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

We replaced an electric coil stovetop with induction here in around 2010 or 2011 and it's been really nice. Did need some new pots and pans but some worked and I don't even remember what the Emeril stainless steel set cost but it wasn't crazy. I like having a big glass surface to put stuff on when I'm not using the stove, and you can wipe it clean.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

emocrat posted:

Ours has actual knobs, I have used a few others that used push buttons for burner temp and I disliked that interface a lot.

Ya, this is the one UI thing to absolutely avoid. Even the control freak has a knob.
https://polyscienceculinary.com/products/the-control-freak

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Newer All-Clad stuff will work, but a lot of old All-Clad will not. Source: magnet-tested my existing All-Clad.

e: On any smoothtop range, you have to worry not only about magnetism but about scratching. The bottom of a cast-iron pan is very scratchy, and the manufacturers recommend picking it straight up and putting it straight down if you must.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 8, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

well here we are, the demo is pretty much done, I have to believe that I hosed up installing the valve trim because well, you know how I am. they are going to figure out how to let me turn the water back on until the plumber arrives tomorrow :p

the demo guy said "that surround was installed very strangely" which is pretty much everything in this place.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

emocrat posted:

Our model has LEDs in the glass top that simulate the look of blue burning gas that go up and down in intensity with the burner setting. Ours has actual knobs, I have used a few others that used push buttons for burner temp and I disliked that interface a lot.

Yeah I should probably clarify - I would be in favor of dials if there was any other indication the cooktop is on for ours other than the digital readout. Or even just dials to change the digital readout instead of push-button. Dials are much easier to grab and adjust quickly if things are going sideways.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Newer All-Clad stuff will work, but a lot of old All-Clad will not. Source: magnet-tested my existing All-Clad.

Bad times. To this point, test every pan and don't assume, especially if your collection is a mix of new stuff and hand-me-downs.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Thanks for mentioning that Frigidaire induction range. A kitchen remodel is on the docket for us in the next year and my wife 100% insists on getting an indication stove (even though I do almost all of the cooking lol). I had seen that model on consumer reports and it certainly jumps off the page at like a third to a fourth the cost of other brands but I was skeptical given the insane price difference. Good to know it’s a solid appliance.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I can’t overstate how much buying a cordless stick vacuum improved my willingness to vacuum. We have Corgis so there is a lot of shedding and the Dyson V11 Animal has done really well for us.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Yeah I should probably clarify - I would be in favor of dials if there was any other indication the cooktop is on for ours other than the digital readout. Or even just dials to change the digital readout instead of push-button. Dials are much easier to grab and adjust quickly if things are going sideways.

Bad times. To this point, test every pan and don't assume, especially if your collection is a mix of new stuff and hand-me-downs.

Especially your stockpots! All of ours are heavy-grade aluminum.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

After research and everything I think we'll just go with induction. Cost isn't exactly a factor, although I don't really want to waste money, and it sounds like it'll make the most sense. I'm still worried about how I'm going to rip that platform out and make it all not look like absolute rear end but I guess I can figure that out.

We do have a second kitchen in the basement (it's basically a canning kitchen, we've considered making it the primary kitchen but for various reasons we're not wanting to) so whatever cookware I have that isn't induction-compatible will still be fine on that and therefore not a complete waste.

Thank you everyone for all the advice and info!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Motronic posted:

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Motronic posted:

Everything has to be electrified eventually and items with mass-produced drop-in replacements are an obvious place to start, but talk about a drop in the bucket if you're just doing stoves and not heating, dryers, water heaters, etc. all at once.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Tezer posted:

Ya, this is the one UI thing to absolutely avoid. Even the control freak has a knob.
https://polyscienceculinary.com/products/the-control-freak

It annoys me that you can't even get a single temperature controlled burner on a full induction stove, it's always the standalones

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

slurm posted:

Everything has to be electrified eventually and items with mass-produced drop-in replacements are an obvious place to start, but talk about a drop in the bucket if you're just doing stoves and not heating, dryers, water heaters, etc. all at once.

The inflation bill has tons of incentives for all of that. Dryers, stoves, heat pumps, water heaters. It even includes cash for panel upgrades.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Can anyone recommend a good gap filler product thing that fills or bridges the little gap between a range and countertops?

There's a that sliver of a gap between my range and counter and it really annoys me when food gets in the crack or some liquid spills down there. I know I can pull the range out and clean it, but I'd rather just wipe down or wash some silicone strip.

When I looked at a few on Amazon, several people said that despite being listed as heat resistant, they showed some indication of melting or burning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Blowjob Overtime posted:

To clarify on my end, our Samsung has the LEDs as I described in addition to an in glass numeric readout, 1-9 + power boil. In practice, I use the numbers to set temp, and the burner display to see what's on/which burner.

My preference for the knobs is partly speed of use, but also I used a different model recently that had only push button controls and it sucked. Partly cause the push button is inefficient, partly cause the build quality was bad and it would frequently not register presses.