Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
seventh like a goddamn drama queen, wow, I cannot even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Reading over the first book again, it's kind of interesting to see how the two houses put into antagonistic positions are basically antagonists because, when you look past all the distrust and failure to communicate, they essentially have normal, sane responses to what's going on. The Second House take the position that they're all in a horror movie and if they don't treat it like one everybody is going to die (correct), and the Eighth House take the position that they've figured out enough about the Lyctor rites to know that nobody should ever become one and that anybody who's actually willing to try shouldn't be allowed to do it (correct).

They're both 100% correct; they're just a bit (2) or a lot (8) of a dick about it, respectively.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Why did Babs make such a fuss over Corona demonstrating her capabilities with the rapier? It seemed a bit too strong to be purely a matter of maintaining appearances.

And where's the ninth resurrection beast?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Cugel the Clever posted:

Why did Babs make such a fuss over Corona demonstrating her capabilities with the rapier? It seemed a bit too strong to be purely a matter of maintaining appearances.

Coronabeth really, really wants to be the one who gets eaten.

quote:

And where's the ninth [spoiler]resurrection beast?
His name is John.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Rand Brittain posted:

Well wait a second, how much did they know at that point? I think that’s out of sequence at that point in the narrative but I could be remembering wrong.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ianthe is really good. Remember that she didn't get the keys to the labs that held the research. She pieced together the process just from doing the tests that would have unlocked the keys. It's quite possible that she'd realized what the process involved by then.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Rand Brittain posted:

His name is John.

I'm pretty sure John is the first, and the ninth is locked away in the tomb, probably being driven around by Harrow now if the 3 card soul monty is accurate

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Jod and Electro are not resurrection beasts.

Pluto isn't a planet

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

M_Gargantua posted:

Pluto isn't a planet

Are you asserting this because of anything in particular in the books?

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Just because we don’t categorize Pluto as a planet doesn’t mean it lacked the Thalergy to produce a resurrection beast upon its death.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

M_Gargantua posted:

Pluto isn't a planet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13R-zKGrXvg

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Rand Brittain posted:

His name is John.
More HtN spoilers: Eh, the introduction of the beasts in chapter 2 doesn't read that way to me. They're too clearly introduced as them and the eight/nine discrepancy in what John says would be an extremely odd way to lie about it—why not just lie and say there were eight total? Obviously the stoma opens for him, but I took that as "the lyctors don't actually fully understand the stoma", rather than "John's secretly an RB". Could be wrong, though :shrug:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Khizan posted:

Ianthe is really good. Remember that she didn't get the keys to the labs that held the research. She pieced together the process just from doing the tests that would have unlocked the keys. It's quite possible that she'd realized what the process involved by then.

Yeah, I remember that. I checked a synopsis and that scene is a lot later than I thought, so she’s definitely figured things out by then.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

https://twitter.com/ElixirLibris/status/1555454563217559553?t=jp-A48ioElPBtRjSn7ixXg&s=19

OK so it's not a great example of presentation (I'm a VERY amateur cocktail maker) but I made a 2nd House drink too. Not sure if I'll manage all 9 houses but it's a start.

And another:
https://twitter.com/ElixirLibris/status/1555505960604823552?t=84RmQ-aXufnELObSRjGpSw&s=19

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 5, 2022

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxL_r-0VC1k

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Underated fandom contributions: themed cocktails. Nice work, cptn_dr!

I want August to be over so it can be Nona Time.

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 7, 2022

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I'm on my fourth or fifth read of the Harrow books and I noticed a couple nice details that I missed (I often miss the obvious on my first (and second) readthrough):

When Abigail and Magnus die, fake Dulcinea interrupts the spirit siphoning, presumably because it was about to work. Also, Gideon notes in narrative voice with admiration how Corona barely breaks a sweat and Ianthe appears to be doing all the work without realizing what it means.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah Gideon is the master of observing facts and doing absolutely no impactful interpretation of them

mortal
Oct 12, 2012
It's not just that Gideon thinks Ianthe is doing all the work. Gideon actually thinks Coronabeth must be the more powerful of the two, since she shows no signs on exertion, while Ianthe is visibly exhausted.

The podcast One Flesh One End is great at pointing out all the times Gideon observes something and fails to draw any useful conclusion, as well the subtext that Harrow might have understood what she was seeing, and just neglected to let Gideon in on it.

For example, Harrow, who puppeted her parents around for years, warns Gideon that she doesn't like Dulcinea's cavalier. Also, Harrow pointedly asks Dulcinea in the past tense why she wanted to become a Lyctor, and Dulcinea answers in the past tense.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

mortal posted:

It's not just that Gideon thinks Ianthe is doing all the work. Gideon actually thinks Coronabeth must be the more powerful of the two, since she shows no signs on exertion, while Ianthe is visibly exhausted.

The podcast One Flesh One End is great at pointing out all the times Gideon observes something and fails to draw any useful conclusion, as well the subtext that Harrow might have understood what she was seeing, and just neglected to let Gideon in on it.

For example, Harrow, who puppeted her parents around for years, warns Gideon that she doesn't like Dulcinea's cavalier. Also, Harrow pointedly asks Dulcinea in the past tense why she wanted to become a Lyctor, and Dulcinea answers in the past tense.

Nah Harrow didn't know Cytherea was a lyctor, just that she was sketchy as all gently caress

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

silvergoose posted:

Nah Harrow didn't know Cytherea was a lyctor, just that she was sketchy as all gently caress

Ahh but its clever writing none the less, the characters being unaware of the importance of the tenses of what they're saying is a subtly that works in written word.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Imagining what the hell Harrowhark was thinking for all of the first book is a fascinating exercise because she's such a goddamned genius and also so loving dumb.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

Imagining what the hell Harrowhark was thinking for all of the first book is a fascinating exercise because she's such a goddamned genius and also so loving dumb.

(HtN) ”I can’t tell if you’re a once-in-a-lifetime genius, an insane imbecile, or both.”

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

One day we'll get a Locked Tomb novel where the protagonist isn't a giant dumbass.

OK to be fair Nona isn't a dumbass, she's a very sweet precocious young lady, but she's also basically a child. (Spoilers but ones that are made clear in the preview chapter)

Maybe in Alecto.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

cptn_dr posted:

One day we'll get a Locked Tomb novel where the protagonist isn't a giant dumbass.

I hope not. I hope they're dumb in different ways.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

If the protagonists were smarter Muir would have to create an even more tangled reason to avoid explaining basic setting facts.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Rand Brittain posted:

If the protagonists were smarter Muir would have to create an even more tangled reason to avoid explaining basic setting facts.

Oh, that one's easy: They already know this poo poo, why do they feel the need to have an expository discussion on it?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

disposablewords posted:

Oh, that one's easy: They already know this poo poo, why do they feel the need to have an expository discussion on it?
It's not like Gideon would pay attention, anyway.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Rand Brittain posted:

Getting told "Show, don't tell" too much as a child has an effect on one

90s Cringe Rock posted:

It's not like Gideon would pay attention, anyway.

:hmmyes:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

https://theinstagrahame.itch.io/thirsty-space-necromancers

I heard tsl was pretty good actually, but this, this makes me want to actually play the thing...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

In my newfound quest to read kiwi sci-fi/fantasy, I just got the Absolute Book. It was mentioned earlier.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

In my newfound quest to read kiwi sci-fi/fantasy, I just got the Absolute Book. It was mentioned earlier.

I'm still working through that via elibrary, yeah.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Well, drat, haven't noticed this before...

"Only Palamedes had the presence of mind to move: he bypassed Ianthe entirely and crossed to where the cavalier lay, stretched out and stiffening. There were blood spatters down his front, a great tear ripped in his shirt. The blade had come through his back. Palamedes reached down, grimaced at something, and shut the man’s staring eyes."

Okay, what did Sextus grimace at? Babs' new eye color? Lack of eye color?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

silvergoose posted:

Well, drat, haven't noticed this before...

"Only Palamedes had the presence of mind to move: he bypassed Ianthe entirely and crossed to where the cavalier lay, stretched out and stiffening. There were blood spatters down his front, a great tear ripped in his shirt. The blade had come through his back. Palamedes reached down, grimaced at something, and shut the man’s staring eyes."

Okay, what did Sextus grimace at? Babs' new eye color? Lack of eye color?

I assume he just noticed that Naberius was extremely hosed up and possibly could see that the soul had been ripped out of his body. I doubt his eyes changed color because that's a function of a changed or extra soul; normally the condition of having zero souls in your body is just regular death and doesn't have magical special effects.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Doesn't it say that his eyes are weirdly washed out a paragraph or two before?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Danhenge posted:

Doesn't it say that his eyes are weirdly washed out a paragraph or two before?

Yeah

"There was something too white about his eyeballs, but otherwise he looked perfectly real, perfectly alive, perfectly coiffed."

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
We're almost there, just one month to go. Don't give up, skeletons. Nona the Ninth is out on September 13. I haven't been this excited about a book release since A Song of Ice and Fire, however long ago that was.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
We will absolutely get all four Locked Tomb books before Winds of Winter

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Happy Landfill posted:

We will absolutely get all four Locked Tomb books before Winds of Winter

Unquestioningly. And uhhh whatever the name of the wind book is called, too.

I'm so excited, the question remains whether I read it once or twice before getting the audiobook though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I have a dumb question that I probably already know the answer to. (HtN) Is Mercy’s briefing about Number Seven one long joke about that Facebook boomer who asked a question and then responded to every reply with WRONG, NEXT!!