Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ego batteries do have a built-in storage mode where if they go unused long enough, they purposely self-discharge after sitting for 30 days.

Additionally, if you find your battery not charging up all the way or keeping a charge as long as it used to, try "Resetting" it by holding the power button on the battery for like 10 seconds until it flashes and then letting go. It reboots the electronics in the battery module and it can fix it if the cells get out of whack or whatever. It happened to mine and I thought I would have to warranty it until the THIRD person I talked to at EGO told me to try that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Hello I am dumb and I need to put holes in an old brick. The holes need to be about 2.5" deep and 3/16".

I have a Black&Decker Matrix drill setup (corded). I have the Matrix impact driver attachment. I have these bits because I learned too late an impact driver is not the same as a hammer drill.

These bits do not fit in the chuck of the impact driver attachment. They do fit in the chuck of the regular drill attachment, but then the drilling takes a lot of physical force and I'm worried about killing the motor and/or myself.

Please link me to an adapter I can use to get these bits into the impact driver, or else good (presumably carbide?) masonry bits that fit by themselves into the impact driver. Or else, gently caress it, anything else that works. The bits have to be 3/16" and they also have to have 3" of usable drilling length, which seems like a less common combination.

I need this to install my air conditioner, if that gives you a sense of my desperation level.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 5, 2022

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I used these and a Dewalt hammer drill to on my brick house:

BOSCH IMC500 5-Piece Impact MultiConstruction Drill Bit Set https://a.co/d/epW7Zbl

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

I need this to install my air conditioner, if that gives you a sense of my desperation level.

Those are SDS Plus bits, I really don't think any sort of mechanism exists to adapt those to anything other than actual SDS hammer drills.

I've drilled holes in concrete before using a regular drill with hex-shank bits like the ones Calidus mentions. It takes for ev er and loving sucks. Even doing it with my M18 conventional hammer drill sucks for actual concrete (but it absolutely plows through cinder block).

If you need this just for one job and you've already got SDS Plus bits, I'd rent an SDS drill from Home Depot for $50.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Is there a way to do it with my impact driver (with different bits)? It'll be a real hassle for me to get to a Home Depot, and it looks like hammer drills will be too big for my application (5th floor exterior windowsill).

If I get the Tapcon system, will that work?

1/4" concrete screws
3/16" drill bit
5/16" nut driver

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Anne Whateley posted:

Is there a way to do it with my impact driver (with different bits)? It'll be a real hassle for me to get to a Home Depot, and it looks like hammer drills will be too big for my application (5th floor exterior windowsill).

1/4" concrete screws
3/16" drill bit
5/16" nut driver

Unfortunately that won't work with just your drill/impact driver. That bit works by striking the surface to pulverize a bit of material, rotating the bit slightly, striking again, and so on. An impact driver essentially works by tapping the bit in a circle, which is great for loosening a bolt or driving a screw, but doesn't provide the striking action needed for that particular bit to work.

A rotary hammer is a cross between a big-rear end drill and a jackhammer. It has a reciprocating mechanism to provide a striking force as well as a motor for rotation. This is great for drilling big holes in concrete and masonry, but they're heavy and unwieldly and not ideal for your application. They use the SDS bits you first posted.

A hammer drill is a normal-ish sized hand drill with a built in vibrator to provide as much striking action as can be hoped for without going full-on rotary hammer. They will work with the Tapcon bit you posted. Cordless drills with a hammer function are fairly common these days and if you ask around with family and friends there's a decent chance someone handy might have one you can borrow.

It also looks like Black & Decker has a hammer drill attachment for Matrix drills, but that might prove a bit pricy for just a few holes.

TerminalSaint fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 5, 2022

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Anne Whateley posted:

1/4" concrete screws
3/16" drill bit
5/16" nut driver

That specific bit won't work with your impact because the impact takes a hex shank bit (like the one on the nut driver you linked). It also may have trouble with the brick, they're not really made to do the same job, but since you're only making a 3/16" hole it might work. What you want is a masonry bit to fit your drill like one of these:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-3...BG04T/301374924
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...-9006/313176657

Normally, I'd just say it's not worth doing if you don't have the right tool for the job but for a small hole like a 3/16" you should give it a shot. The masonry bits have a piece of carbide at the end which are harder than the steel and the rock/concrete/brick so they will cut it and essentially turn it into powder. Hammer drills and rotary hammer drills cause the end of the bit to pound into the material and help remove it and cut in, while a normal drill would just kind of cause the carbide to slowly scrape as it only rotates. An impact driver might be able to do the job even though it's the wrong tool because while it rotates it does its impact thing with high torque bursts. It's meant for driving screws into hard materials so it's more about doing impacts to turn a screw around instead of push a bit, but it can still help.

You can see this dude tries it here and didn't have much trouble:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfV9-d00FJo&t=102s
later on he goes into some kind of thick paver that it has a lot more trouble with but it still works, the tool just gets hot so it might be a multi-session affair.

I haven't used tapcon screws, but rather lead (not made with lead anymore but some kind of zinc alloy) masonry anchors in cinderblocks before. I'd be worried that a screw in something that turns powdery might not secure as well if you couldn't make nice threads, but you did pick some really long ones. I've also used the plastic sleeve style wall anchors for wall TV mounts. Bricks aren't huge so something that puts a lot of sideways pressure in the middle of one could crack it, but that's what all the predrilling is for. Also beware the bit will get super hot and may dull if it takes you a while.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 5, 2022

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
You can do it with a regular drill, it'll just take much longer. Run it at high speed, moderate pressure, and monitor the drill frequently to ensure it doesn't get too hot. If you take breaks while doing it, the drill ought to be fine. For a few holes, this is probably your best bet.

No need for a roto-hammer or anything specialized, many cordless drill/drivers have a 'hammer' setting that would make quick work of your task so if any of your acquaintances have power tools it would be worth asking them.

Unethical option: order a refurbished hammer drill from amazon, use it for the job, and return it

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

1/4" concrete screws
3/16" drill bit
5/16" nut driver

I’ve used the tapcons for that exact application before and they’re great, but unfortunately that drill bit fits into a chuck, which your impact driver doesn’t have. Instead, it has a 1/4” hex drive. I didn’t think anyone made drill bits with a 1/4” hex shank but that’s exactly what these are:

Calidus posted:

BOSCH IMC500 5-Piece Impact MultiConstruction Drill Bit Set https://a.co/d/epW7Zbl

So these bits will fit into your impact driver and let you drill a hole in concrete or brick. It’s not the ideal tool for the task,* but it will work for two or three small holes. You can then use either the tapcons or the anchors that come with your AC bracket, just find the appropriate size bit - you don’t need to use tapcon’s bit.

*You probably know this by now, but impact drivers are made to drive long screws into resistant material like hardwood without pre-drilling, hammer drills are made to make holes in stone, concrete, and masonry (though they also work fine for wood, plastic, and metal.) You can use a drill to drive screws as well but it doesn’t have the torque to put a 3” screw into hardwood without drilling a pilot hole. This is the kit I have as an NYC renter, btw - it’s small enough to chuck into the back of a closet but more than adequate for anything a tenant will want to do.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I'm looking to repair some threads for an M10-1.5 bolt. I found this repair kit available locally but it doesn't come with a drill bit. Nor according to the reviews does it come with instructions saying what size of drill bit to use:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/oemtools-thread-repair-kit-m10-1-5-0251214p.html#plp

How do I know what size of drill I need for a given tap?

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Squibbles posted:

I'm looking to repair some threads for an M10-1.5 bolt. I found this repair kit available locally but it doesn't come with a drill bit. Nor according to the reviews does it come with instructions saying what size of drill bit to use:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/oemtools-thread-repair-kit-m10-1-5-0251214p.html#plp

How do I know what size of drill I need for a given tap?

https://littlemachineshop.com/images/gallery/PDF/TapDrillSizes.pdf

Looks like about 8.5-9 mm is what you need depending on the material.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

https://littlemachineshop.com/images/gallery/PDF/TapDrillSizes.pdf

Looks like about 8.5-9 mm is what you need depending on the material.

Hmm, this is for repairing an M10-1.5 thread. So I'd have to drill out bigger than that, tap it, put in the insert and then it should fit my bolt. I'm just not sure how big I need to drill out in order to tap. Or maybe since the threads are stripped I can just tap that directly without drilling it out?

Edit: Actually I just looked at the product picture and it looks like the drill size is etched onto the tap!

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Sorry didn't read carefully and missed the part about the insert kit. Glad the size was marked!

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Sorry didn't read carefully and missed the part about the insert kit. Glad the size was marked!

No problem, and thanks for that tap size chart. Handy info to have around :)

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
If any Canada goons have been eyeing the well regarded DeWalt 10" jobsite saw, Lowes has it on sale for $170 off, and in theory Home Depot should do price match +10%.
https://www.lowes.ca/product/table-saws/dewalt-10-in-15-amp-job-site-table-saw-with-rolling-stand-530411

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I've been using the red 50:1 TruFuel in my weedeater all summer instead of my usual no ethanol gas+2 cycle oil, and it seems like it is harder to start with the trufuel than with just gas+oil. Takes a few cranks and doesn't run long after the crank to hit the gas, whereas with regular gas it would start first crank most times. Is this a common thing with trufuel or is it possibly just a coincidence and something else on the engine needs maintenance?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I've been using the red 50:1 TruFuel in my weedeater all summer instead of my usual no ethanol gas+2 cycle oil, and it seems like it is harder to start with the trufuel than with just gas+oil. Takes a few cranks and doesn't run long after the crank to hit the gas, whereas with regular gas it would start first crank most times. Is this a common thing with trufuel or is it possibly just a coincidence and something else on the engine needs maintenance?

If anything, trufuel get my junk started easier in the cold. I've never noticed much of a difference when it's warm out.

I'd be looking for the standard issues: cracked fuel/return line, cracked primer bulb, clogged fuel filter in the tank.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Motronic posted:

Tool Thread: If anything, trufuel gets my junk started easier in the cold.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have a bunch of nice Milwaukee M12 tools that I love but wanted to pick up some lesser used tools like sanders and jigsaws but didn't wanna pay Milwaukee $$$ prices for stuff I'd only be picking up a couple times year. Finally took advantage of some Ryobi sales at Home Depot to supplement my existing setup and I can get so much stuff for dirt cheap it's crazy.

What are some lesser used Ryobi tools you guys really like? I picked up the inflator and reciprocating saw and have a multitool and cutoff tool on the way. Anything else that's really cool I should look into?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I think I posted here about 'should I buy a string trimmer/weedwacker or a lawnmower or...', so I'm just following up with: I got a string trimmer, used it to trim the weeds in the back yard, and I use it to 'mow' the front yard for the HOA. takes a little while but it's a TON cheaper than a mower for supposedly the best string trimmer in the world (according to wirecutter). It's definitely easy to do a bad pass and have a little brown hole in your grass, but, whatever. The roots are still there and the grass grows back, and it doesn't look as neat as a mowed lawn but it's nothing for HOA freaks to complain about. If you want to save $30 per young-person-mowing (local going rate), you'll make it back in 6-7 'mows', and you'll still own a string trimmer. I got this one for 209, it was the top one on wirecutter: Ego ST1511T Power+ String Trimmer with Powerload

The saw I bought is also loving amazing, and I've been filling my outside trash every week and finally my front yard looks great (was full of sticks/twigs) and my back yard has 1/4 of the amount of large branches lying around in it that it had a few weeks ago.
Saw: Corona 14 in. Stainless Steel Razor Tooth Pruning Saw, for $30

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

FCKGW posted:

I have a bunch of nice Milwaukee M12 tools that I love but wanted to pick up some lesser used tools like sanders and jigsaws but didn't wanna pay Milwaukee $$$ prices for stuff I'd only be picking up a couple times year. Finally took advantage of some Ryobi sales at Home Depot to supplement my existing setup and I can get so much stuff for dirt cheap it's crazy.

What are some lesser used Ryobi tools you guys really like? I picked up the inflator and reciprocating saw and have a multitool and cutoff tool on the way. Anything else that's really cool I should look into?

I like the fan (you can also run it off an extension cord), the Bluetooth speaker, which can also be used to charge phones/etc, the hot glue gun, and the dustbuster. Direct Tools Outlet will have stupid deals on Ryobi stuff.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

FCKGW posted:

I like the leaf blower, i have the midtier one and its so nice to just grab to clear something up real quick

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

more falafel please posted:

I like the fan (you can also run it off an extension cord), the Bluetooth speaker, which can also be used to charge phones/etc, the hot glue gun, and the dustbuster. Direct Tools Outlet will have stupid deals on Ryobi stuff.

DTO went up to 15 bucks shipping, so the deals aren't as good if you don't have one nearby for pickup.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
Oscillating tool is best corded or cordless? I'd say cordless, for quick tasks without having to set up a cord, but then I figure most any applications for it would have a outlet nearby. Plus I know sometimes it gets extended use so I figure it would go through batteries quickish so I can see the case for corded

I'm on DeWalt 20v platform .. Im leaning towards Bosch/Makita corded though. Anyone feel strongly one way or another?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I got the cordless ryobi as part of a kit and never use it. In general I would agree with you, corded for oscillating imo. I may be biased because I have two fein multimasters, I should probably sell one.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I have a Dewalt cordless multi tool, it pretty solid battery life with 2ah and 4ah batteries. I have never tried anything bigger. The only time I have actually drained a battery was when I was using it to remove tile.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I only have a cordless Ryobi oscillating tool and it rules.

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

lil poopendorfer posted:

Oscillating tool is best corded or cordless? I'd say cordless, for quick tasks without having to set up a cord, but then I figure most any applications for it would have a outlet nearby. Plus I know sometimes it gets extended use so I figure it would go through batteries quickish so I can see the case for corded

I’ve had corded and non-corded for a couple years now, and I’m just too-pro cordless tools to give the corded a chance anymore. The corded models just don’t provide enough flexibility, and with battery life on the cordless models quick jobs are just easier that way. Haven’t had a ton of luck with the 12v ones, though, they all seem to shake and rattle all over the place.

quote:

I'm on DeWalt 20v platform .. Im leaning towards Bosch/Makita corded though. Anyone feel strongly one way or another?

not to thread hijack in any way, but I’m legit looking to offload a Dewalt 20v OMT (DCS355) if at all interested. Got a thread going in SA Mart this reminds me I have to add a pic to for it, but PMs are open.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I had a corded Dremel and then got a 12v Milwaukee FUEL oscillating tool and I gave the Dremel away. It's just too convenient having it be cordless.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

SpartanIvy posted:

I had a corded Dremel and then got a 12v Milwaukee FUEL oscillating tool and I gave the Dremel away. It's just too convenient having it be cordless.

Thank you for re-aligning my thinking. My corded Dremel rotary tool is starting to make expensive hosed-bearing noises. Since I'm into the 12v Milwaukee batteries I should take a close look at the Fuel rotary tool. Nice to have a bit of direction in one's life.

Lets see, haul the chainsaw back to the bench for sharpening or throw the rotary tool and diamond burr into the tool bucket to take into the woods? Tough choice there.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

FCKGW posted:

bluetooth speaker and flashlight

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Hexigrammus posted:

Thank you for re-aligning my thinking. My corded Dremel rotary tool is starting to make expensive hosed-bearing noises. Since I'm into the 12v Milwaukee batteries I should take a close look at the Fuel rotary tool. Nice to have a bit of direction in one's life.

Lets see, haul the chainsaw back to the bench for sharpening or throw the rotary tool and diamond burr into the tool bucket to take into the woods? Tough choice there.

Oh I should have specified it was a corded Dremel oscillating tools. I ALSO have a corded Dremel rotary tool but that has also been entirely replaced in functionality with my M12 non-Fuel rotary tool. AFAIK Milwaukee doesn't make a FUEL rotary tool yet, but the standard one has just about as much power as the corded Dremel and it is 100% compatible with my Dremel 4000's accessories which is awesome because I have a LOT of Dremel 4000 accessories. I haven't gotten rid of the Dremel 4000 yet though because it has some sentimental value to it.

FCKGW posted:

The backpack chemical sprayer all the way. It's the only Ryobi tool I own but it's worth the separate battery ecosystem for it.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

FCKGW posted:

I'm in the exact same M12/ryobi 18V split as you for the exact same reasons, I'm pretty happy with how it's worked.

I recommend (all 18V):
Weed whacker/string trimmer - Brushless with dual strings, mine is old enough that I can't find it online anymore. It works about as well as a lower-tier gas model, so good enough for me. Tough on batteries, you'll want the big boys for this.
Rotary tool P460 - Perfect because I can just bring stuff outside to grind on real quick and not blow lovely dust all over inside where I'm working. Also great for grinding/cutting that little thing you couldn't otherwise reach.
22" Hedge trimmer - This may be the perfect battery tool. Has cut anything that fits in the jaws, easy to handle, barely takes a bar off a 3AH battery after trimming several large bushes.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
There is a recall on Dewalt Miter Saws, models DWS779, DWS780 and DHS790 manufactured from 2019-2022. Something about a piece of plastic guard that gets cut off in certain situations. It doesn't look too serious to me, but I thought to post it just the same.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Dr. Habibi posted:

I’ve had corded and non-corded for a couple years now, and I’m just too-pro cordless tools to give the corded a chance anymore. The corded models just don’t provide enough flexibility, and with battery life on the cordless models quick jobs are just easier that way. Haven’t had a ton of luck with the 12v ones, though, they all seem to shake and rattle all over the place.

not to thread hijack in any way, but I’m legit looking to offload a Dewalt 20v OMT (DCS355) if at all interested. Got a thread going in SA Mart this reminds me I have to add a pic to for it, but PMs are open.

thanks for the responses all, i was talking about this w a neighbor and he actually had an unused dewalt OMT that he got as a free tool a while back that he's letting me have for cheap

I'm working a building rehab and doing the cutouts for rough electric in about 30 rooms which made me think corded just due to the volume of work but most other OMT tasks are quick cuts in cramped spots, so i think cordless is the best for now.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Hexigrammus posted:

Since I'm into the 12v Milwaukee batteries I should take a close look at the Fuel rotary tool.

You might consider taking a look somewhere else.

I've had 3 of these. They didn't get so much use that they wore out, they all broke.
Even my third one that I've hardly used is showing signs of impending death.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Any recommendations for a reliable IR temp gun for my pizza oven?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

wandler20 posted:

Any recommendations for a reliable IR temp gun for my pizza oven?

What's the high side you need on the range?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

H110Hawk posted:

What's the high side you need on the range?

Probably like 950.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

You might consider taking a look somewhere else.

I've had 3 of these. They didn't get so much use that they wore out, they all broke.
Even my third one that I've hardly used is showing signs of impending death.

Oh dear, thanks for the heads up.

I'm working on my father in law's lawnmower atm. First time I've had to deal with a plastic carburetor. Probably makes sense if you have ethanol in your gasoline but trying to avoid breaking anything while fixing it is a pain in the butt. Everything is crap. I hate the world.