Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think it should stay open because often times talking about how bad Rothfuss is leads into conversations about more talented authors and how they do similar stories better. Thanks to this thread I've read books with similar premises that were super amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Reading so much into Rothfuss only knowing so many tired similes/metaphors for colors lol.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Keep it open. Society needs to see a head up on a spike every once in a while.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I suggested closing the thread, not for "slamming" Rothfuss or because there's anything "toxic" about that (speaking only for myself) .

You weren't the only one no worries.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
It was a thread of three posts, a post about how Rothfuss still wasn't writing, how no matter how he lied or what sad claims he made about words or pages or things sent to editors we knew better; a post about how Rothfuss was a creepy gross edgelord Wheedon weird, a freak famous incompetent writer without the chops or discipline to finish his masterpiece; and a post about how really the books aren't good, the prose isn't good, and it's just a sad wish-fulfillment fantasy about being able to pay for fantasy college in a fantasy land where the protagonist is the best most clever ever at everything with none of the mastery of language or intricate worldbuilding that was constantly attributed to the author by increasingly desperate, increasingly faithful, fans.

It was the probed post sound of a thread waiting to die.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A few different people ahve suggested I close this thread, under the theory that it's just toxic rothfuss-slamming and there's little point in keeping it going.

Do people feel this thread is still serving a purpose or should I take it out back behind the chemical sheds?

It still serves a purpose as Rothfuss is doing things, just not writing. Sounds like they should unbookmark th thread or post what they like about him instead of wanting to stop others from talking about GRRM 2.lol I’m ways they dislike.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Big thread on reddit today about how Worldbuilders is a scam.

BotL did a huge review of Name of the Wind and tore it to shreds, so there's not much more to say. I guess someone could do the Slow Regard of Silent Things if they were so inclined, seeing as that is the latest and greatest Rothfuss book, but honestly I don't know how much more there is to say about the actual prose that BotL didn't cover. The metaphors are all just shotgunning associations so you feel confusion and mistake it for depth and meaning.

I guess I could take a stab at Slow Regard, but I'd have to figure out where the hell it got to.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

It was a silence of three farts

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

BotL did a huge review of Name of the Wind and tore it to shreds, so there's not much more to say. I guess someone could do the Slow Regard of Silent Things if they were so inclined, seeing as that is the latest and greatest Rothfuss book, but honestly I don't know how much more there is to say about the actual prose that BotL didn't cover. The metaphors are all just shotgunning associations so you feel confusion and mistake it for depth and meaning.

I guess I could take a stab at Slow Regard, but I'd have to figure out where the hell it got to.

I'll have you know that silence is a lot like autumn, which is totally broad. These are things that make sense, yes.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Is there anything new? It's not like he's even trying to keep it a secret he runs it out of a building he owns and pays himself an insane rent amount.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Honestly BoTL's review of NoTW was pretty weak. It mostly just talked about the books I'm pretty sure BoTL actually read as opposed to tearing NoTW apart on its own merits.

NoTW is also the 'good' book, such as it is. The Wise Man's Fear is much worse in every way and definitely deserves its own scrutiny.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
Even if nothing's really happening why close it?

It's harmless venting against an average author who also happens to (appear to) be a massive tool and scammer. There's regular traffic in here so clearly some of us enjoy it.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Kchama posted:

Honestly BoTL's review of NoTW was pretty weak. It mostly just talked about the books I'm pretty sure BoTL actually read as opposed to tearing NoTW apart on its own merits.

You mean the review where he went through and dissected line by line why the prose didn't work?

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

My theory about Slow Regard is that its a metaphor for convention sex. It starts with some hard negging and a fake apology-- only a real fan who really gets him will understand what's about to happen. Then the starstruck manic pixie girl with low self-esteem grabs some junk, looks at it sadly, puts it back down, and just keeps doing that over and over until it just...ends.

MartingaleJack fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 7, 2022

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

You mean the review where he went through and dissected line by line why the prose didn't work?

He did not do that. I mean, I certainly wouldn't ask anyone to do such madness, but he absolutely didn't do that. He would have never gotten a post finished if he tried.

Like I said, my big issue is that he liked to use it as a launching pad to talk about other books, which is a "oh my god I don't care" when I want to hear about the dumb things in Rothfuss's book.

Maybe I'll try a dissection (definitely not a line by line one) one day but that would involve reading it again.

MartingaleJack posted:

My theory about Slow Regard is that its a metaphor for convention sex. It starts with some hard negging and a fake apology-- only a real fan who really gets him will understand what's about to happen. Then the starstruck manic pixie girl with low self-esteem grabs some junk, looks at it sadly, puts it back down, and just keeps doing that over and over until it just...ends.

I mean, from stories I've heard he absolutely goes to conventions looking for sex and little else.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Who is BoTL?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Lot 49 posted:

Who is BoTL?

The OP of the thread.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Lot 49 posted:

Who is BoTL?

That's BravestOfTheLamps.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

The Joss whedon t shirt is so pathetic.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Southpaugh posted:

The Joss whedon t shirt is so pathetic.

He's just advertising that he's a former nerd media darling who had one early breakout success, pretends to be a feminist but is absolutely not a feminist and in fact is a misogynist sexpest, injects his horniess into his wriitng, is now a washed-up has-been abandoned joke, couldn't be criticized for a long time due to his industry connections and rabid fanbase, and needs to take hedge clippers to his beard.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

BotL did a huge review of Name of the Wind and tore it to shreds, so there's not much more to say.
Wait, "BotL" as in the OP for this thread? This thread contains an actual, carefully hidden, review of Rothfuss' writing?

No loving way that's true. I've searched this thread to see if the endless bitching ever cohered into anything meaningful, and was unable to locate anything like that (like 2-3 times, because people on these forums have a habit of linking this thread when Name of the Wind is mentioned).

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
It's in the old thread. Can anybody view it or do you need super special archive access or whatever? Here's the link to the first post anyway.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365216&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=122#post458895404

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I don't remember that passage. Probably from his time with the pirates that no one is interested in hearing about, instead we get 1/3 of a book about being a sex god.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

calandryll posted:

I don't remember that passage. Probably from his time with the pirates that no one is interested in hearing about, instead we get 1/3 of a book about being a sex god.

My favorite part is when True Feminist Patrick Rothfuss wrote about a matriarchal sex ninja society that didn't understand basic reproductive biology but thankfully his Gary Sue character was able to educate those silly women.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I came here cause I heard about his whole charity fraud. I can't believe it's not brought up more. Thread should definitely stay, and the whole saga should be detailed.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I'm just gonna say that I'll forgive all the sex god stuff if the reason he gets kicked out of school is that he won't stop making sympathy powered sex toys in the workshop

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Like gently caress this guy, seriously. 30 seconds in on a video from just 2 months ago is enough to see he's full of poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE7Wsre9K0Y

e: wait nm 1 minute in is the money shot lol
e2: I never read his books, he reminded too much of grrm and welp

Barreft fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 9, 2022

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Scholtz posted:

I'm just gonna say that I'll forgive all the sex god stuff if the reason he gets kicked out of school is that he won't stop making sympathy powered sex toys in the workshop

No, they already did the 'he was kicked out of school younger than anyone else had been admitted' thing. It was when the Masters decided to punish him for using magic for evil reasons (which he totally did, by the way) with expulsion!

And then immediately unexpelled him for being so drat clever about it. Rothfuss thought this was extremely brilliant.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 9, 2022

mewse
May 2, 2006

Barreft posted:

Like gently caress this guy, seriously. 30 seconds in on a video from just 2 months ago is enough to see he's full of poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE7Wsre9K0Y

e: wait nm 1 minute in is the money shot lol
e2: I never read his books, he reminded too much of grrm and welp

oh no what happened to his cereal collection

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Evil Fluffy posted:

My favorite part is when True Feminist Patrick Rothfuss wrote about a matriarchal sex ninja society that didn't understand basic reproductive biology but thankfully his Gary Sue character was able to educate those silly women.

He fails to educate them, they are too misguided for his words to teach

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

But still, very fuckable.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

It’s pretty amazing how he mansplains pregnancy to a matriarchy of sex ninjas but they won’t listen to him, the correct one, the sex-haver.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
He also is inducted into their society because he is just so darn Of The Lethani that he is able to make every answer he makes Of The Lethani after like five seconds of hearing that it exists, and is given a named magical 5000 year old super sword from the magic sword tree that he promptly renames because the Ademre name of it sounds vaguely like this word he thinks is cool. And then he leaves and never thinks about them again besides to tell all of their nation's secrets.

As a note, the entire reason he was there is that one of the mercenaries he fought the bandits with was an Adem who taught him a few kung fu moves, which meant he was going to be put to death if Kvothe didn't go home with him to prove he was worth teaching.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
By tricking us you have proven that you are of the Lethani, you see, all so simple and neat.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

By tricking us you have proven that you are of the Lethani, you see, all so simple and neat.

Considering what all is of the Lethani, which appears to be anything Kvothe does, this is probably what's going to happen.

If Rothfuss remembers they exist again.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Kchama posted:

Considering what all is of the Lethani, which appears to be anything Kvothe does, this is probably what's going to happen.

If Rothfuss remembers they exist again.

Please.

He thinks about magic sex ninjas every day of his life.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
The wonderful thing about Magic Sex Ninjas is they’ll gently caress you if you just casually ask them to, unlike those uptight chicks at the fantasy conventions. Jeez, even if you’re the second-most-successful living fantasy author, you have to work so *hard* to get laid in this unenlightened reality of ours.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Chicken Butt posted:

The wonderful thing about Magic Sex Ninjas is they’ll gently caress you if you just casually ask them to, unlike those uptight chicks at the fantasy conventions. Jeez, even if you’re the second-most-successful living fantasy author, you have to work so *hard* to get laid in this unenlightened reality of ours.

And they're otherwise extremely uptight prudes who hate everything (except for music when Kvothe plays the lute so amazingly that it says 'sad' and they weep and decide that teaching him how to murder with a sword is of the Lethani).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Chicken Butt posted:

https://youtu.be/uOVJ3zaQnYo