Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

If that's his starting area/system, yes-- the game will automagically "tone down" weather/sentinels for people near where they initially spawn so you don't have to deal with basically guaranteed instadeath while you're still running through the exosuit tutorial. I'm not sure how many systems into the main quest the game will keep doing that for, I've never dug into it too hard.
It was his 2nd so yep!

IIRC my second system had some Paradise planets too so I probably found the same thing and didn't realize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Libluini posted:

Don't worry, this game is full of weird poo poo that is easily overlooked. I'm also cheating by having my main PC and my PS4+TV set up in the same room, so I can just literally swivel around to my keyboard to look stuff up immediately. Which is what I started doing and never stopped when I just accidentally stumbled into all that stuff you can do with Radon. :v:

The stupidest thing I've ever had to do was when I found a planet with S-class Magnetized Ferrite plus Nitrogen plus a source of electromagnetic energy, all in easy reach -if you apply yourself. The same planet also has devastating storms, so I had to carefully move around and build three different highways of shelters with teleporters inside to connect all three spots to the geographical center.

But now that base creates shitloads of Magnetized Ferrite, which in turn can be refined back into tons of Pure Ferrite. This plus the realizations that basic normal Ferrite Dust can be bought everywhere ended my constant Ferrite-famine (caused by over-enthusiastic base building syndrome) instantly.

This game allows the weirdest poo poo. There's another base that's busy mining Dioxite. Even though it turned out really useful later, I actually built that mining base because I needed Phosphorous at the time and was too lazy to continue searching. So I just built a Dioxite-mine and now if I need Phosphorous, I just put my obscene quantities of both Dioxite and Ferrite into a blender and make it. :shepface:

Yeah that is how I had been handling my ferrite before recently. I JUST finally found a phosphorus base last night after looking off and on for ages. It was actually on a planet I discovered very early and maybe 500 units away from the save beacon I used there to point out the giant carbon plants I needed to harvest way back in the day.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the pro ferrite strat is a big ol' rusted metal mine and some refiners

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the pro ferrite strat is a big ol' rusted metal mine and some refiners

The _actual_ pro ferrite strat is a positron on your ship and an airless moon full of small rocks to shotgun

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Yeah I do all my mining via mass aerial bombardment now

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
I think whats missing most about NMS at this point, is dungeon-type content. I know its not for everyone but im sure it would be a good thing for alot of people. This game draws me in alot more than elite ever did, exploration-wise, seems to be an easy thing to make happen and would do alot for me.

Ive got to say ive kept NMS on the backburner for a long time as im telling myself "When the updates slow down ill go back to it for a playthrough" but they never stop coming it seems. So maybe i missed it?

When i find a huge planet to settle in, part of my fun would be to hunt for that "S-Class dungeon" and run it. I think it would be one of the best content-wise thing to add because then the 18 quintillion planets would be worth exploring more, till theyre not. More extensive caverns with like a queen at the end, rare crystals, a ++ crew member, some other reward. Derelict ships (i know its already a thing, didnt see them yet), big abandoned labs with rare crafting mats or science poo poo like a rare multitool upgrade, extensive alien ruins, etc, etc...

Aster0ids fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 9, 2022

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

yeah let me explore a space station like the beginning of Super Metroid. Doesn't have to be special.

Also, let me own a space station. Having a giant space boat is cool but I want my own space gambling bar with space jazz music every night. aka those music boxes

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Aster0ids posted:

I think whats missing most about NMS at this point, is dungeon-type content. I know its not for everyone but im sure it would be a good thing for alot of people. This game draws me in alot more than elite ever did, exploration-wise, seems to be an easy thing to make happen and would do alot for me.

Ive got to say ive kept NMS on the backburner for a long time as im telling myself "When the updates slow down ill go back to it for a playthrough" but they never stop coming it seems. So maybe i missed it?

When i find a huge planet to settle in, part of my fun would be to hunt for that "S-Class dungeon" and run it. I think it would be one of the best content-wise thing to add because then the 18 quintillion planets would be worth exploring more, till theyre not. More extensive caverns with like a queen at the end, rare crystals, a ++ crew member, some other reward. Derelict ships (i know its already a thing, didnt see them yet), big abandoned labs with rare crafting mats or science poo poo like a rare multitool upgrade, extensive alien ruins, etc, etc...

the derelict freighters are actually really cool and good first step in this direction but yeah i'd love to see them take it further

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

the derelict freighters are actually really cool and good first step in this direction but yeah i'd love to see them take it further

I was going to say "Derelict Freighters" are basically literally dungeons, yeah, insofar as you can have them in a procgen universe anyways

That said, one recurring thing that NMS has been doing, both in the regular questlines/missions and to a larger extent in the expeditions, is overriding the "procgen default" of a location with more-specific bits of story and lore. Derelict freighters themselves haven't been really included in that yet, but it wouldn't surprise me to see some more explicit derelict-specific lore in the future, as opposed to the mix-and-match mad libs astral horror stuff that it currently is where every derelict is simultaneously the victim of space-bugs, space-mushrooms, space-cthulu and general AI rampancy depending on which log files you find.

forest spirit posted:

yeah let me explore a space station like the beginning of Super Metroid. Doesn't have to be special.

Also, let me own a space station. Having a giant space boat is cool but I want my own space gambling bar with space jazz music every night. aka those music boxes

the concept of low orbit bases may be of interest to you

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 9, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Any guesses as to what 4.0 will bring?

And the emoji that'll so it? I truly don't think that HG/Sean Murray are waiting for the Switch release to put out 4.0. Due to the numbering of even their bug fixes, I'd say it's right around the corner.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
We went from 1.77 -> 2.0 and 2.62 -> 3.0, so I don't know that I'd assume that we'll go from 3.99 -> 4.0 and not 3.100 or something like that, unless Sean has said something that's confirmed 4.0 being in the near future

Given the volume of stuff in 2.0 and 3.0, combined with the comparatively pretty hefty minor patches recently and the switch port work, I'd honestly be kind of surprised if 4.0 drops this year

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dunno if this is dumb luck or just dumb. I got my capital freighter finally and haven't moved it yet. Every time I come back to it it has apparently helped defend another freighter next to it. I've gotten quite a few storage modules as reward for that so I'm afraid to move it until it's maxed out.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Is there a trick to not losing refiner mats? Mostly been using the freighter but losing mats when not even leaving the system?

Are planet based refiners more reliable?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Suburban Dad posted:

Dunno if this is dumb luck or just dumb. I got my capital freighter finally and haven't moved it yet. Every time I come back to it it has apparently helped defend another freighter next to it. I've gotten quite a few storage modules as reward for that so I'm afraid to move it until it's maxed out.

Dumb luck-- I super doubt it's "defending another freighter" so much as the game keeps thinking you haven't picked up the loot yet and making it available again.

Rakeris posted:

Is there a trick to not losing refiner mats? Mostly been using the freighter but losing mats when not even leaving the system?

Are planet based refiners more reliable?

No trick to it, "multiplayer off" and "babysitting the refiners" makes it less frequent but not perfect.

Planet-based refiners are more reliable but still not perfect if you're not babysitting them, depending on other things you're doing.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

what's the easiest way to get the "earn all the money" milestone in the latest expedition, just a million frigate missions?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Does anyone own this game on multiple platforms? I'm assuming if so you get multiple friend codes, one per platform, to give out to friends? Or is there a way to link accounts?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah I'm pretty sure my planet-side medium refiners are glitching too.

Personal refiner has been 100% so far. That's the only one I'm throwing my Tainted Metal in.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is Sean Murray depressed? All of the overseer type questlines are just kind of tragic and sad, often mildly sinister. I know a lot of the characters are meant to be dealing with knowledge/unknowledge of the nature of their universe/sim/individual fates, and I guess if you live in the universe there aren't many activities they could do to pass the time, but still, given their nature, they could be written/programmed with the other attitudes one could have about their situation.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

what's the easiest way to get the "earn all the money" milestone in the latest expedition, just a million frigate missions?

Land on another player's freighter triggered it for me. Dumps a ton of money on you. I think I might've also scrapped a twitch ship or two, but any would do with the legwork.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah the recent twitch drops gave you three Haulers each worth like 40m. One looks like someone bungee-strapped a bunch of air conditioning units together and added a cockpit.

It felt cheesy but eh.

Alternatively, find an outlaw system and blow up the freighters. Portals make smuggling real drat easy.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol my main save used that exact Air Conditioner with that name until I finally got my alien ship, pretty late game. Finally found a purple/green hauler to replace it, but sometimes I see the old Air Conditioner at the Anomaly and walk up to it confused why I'm not able to get in my own ship.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

My favorite ship is a little exotic I found that is basically just a cockpit with thrusters, it's barely bigger than my character model

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

A fully upgraded solar ship wipes the floor with any exotic. The Vesper Sail gives a boost and free fuel recharge to your pulse engine plus they're the nimblest ships in the game. There's really no reason other than aesthetics to go with any other ship type.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Stare-Out posted:

There's really no reason other than aesthetics to go with any other ship type.

Ah, the only reason that matters

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Khanstant posted:

Is Sean Murray depressed? All of the overseer type questlines are just kind of tragic and sad, often mildly sinister. I know a lot of the characters are meant to be dealing with knowledge/unknowledge of the nature of their universe/sim/individual fates, and I guess if you live in the universe there aren't many activities they could do to pass the time, but still, given their nature, they could be written/programmed with the other attitudes one could have about their situation.

Land on another player's freighter triggered it for me. Dumps a ton of money on you. I think I might've also scrapped a twitch ship or two, but any would do with the legwork.

Uh I think every bit of the actual in game story is pretty dark and depressing. Did you do the Artemis chain?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The story at large is dark and depressing from the perspective of everyone who's in the valley between "finding out everything is a simulation of a rampant lonely AI" and "accepting the reality of everything being the simulation of a rampant lonely AI"

which is to say, apart from a handful of Travellers, Polo is the only being in the universe who both knows what's going on and is perfectly okay with it

:buddy:

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 9, 2022

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I would like NMS much more if they jettisoned the whole simulation story all together and rebuilt the universe lore from scratch.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Stare-Out posted:

A fully upgraded solar ship wipes the floor with any exotic. The Vesper Sail gives a boost and free fuel recharge to your pulse engine plus they're the nimblest ships in the game. There's really no reason other than aesthetics to go with any other ship type.

According to its own item description, the sail doesn't recharge the pulse engines, it recharges the launch thrusters; it does give a pretty significant boost to pulse engine efficiency though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

3 posted:

According to its own item description, the sail doesn't recharge the pulse engines, it recharges the launch thrusters; it does give a pretty significant boost to pulse engine efficiency though.

Oh right, I get that wrong a lot. Still, it rules.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

Uh I think every bit of the actual in game story is pretty dark and depressing. Did you do the Artemis chain?

I did on my old gamespass save, I was leaving some room open because maybe there was a questline that was a fun comedy adventure and I just skipped all the text and missed it.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The story at large is dark and depressing from the perspective of everyone who's in the valley between "finding out everything is a simulation of a rampant lonely AI" and "accepting the reality of everything being the simulation of a rampant lonely AI"

which is to say, apart from a handful of Travellers, Polo is the only being in the universe who both knows what's going on and is perfectly okay with it

:buddy:

That's what I mean about "other reactions to their circumstance." Like, maybe I have bad perspective because I've been depressed, but like, if I found out right now that I was just a simulated person inside some janky world sim -- it really would change absolutely nothing whatsoever about how I think, feel, or act. I can think of a few ways it might be a relief in some sense. It doesn't really change anything about your existence, anymore than any other kind of pondering about the meaninglessness and tininess of yourself and everything you know. I asked if Sean was depressed because the game world doesn't feel like it considered many non-grim perspectives on the manner.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Captain France posted:

more Biological Horror Lore (WHAT IS THEIR DEAL? HOW ARE THEY CONNECTED WITH INFESTED PLANETS AND LIVING SHIPS AND MAYBE ABYSSAL HORRORS?,)

I still want to know why the fugly bug-things that just chill out underground minding their own business and only attack arseholes who try to steal their offspring to grind them up into nanites and who go straight back to chilling underground again if you cut that shite out for a minute or so are BIOLOGICAL HORRORS OMG KILL THEM ALL WITH FIRE, but the fugly bug-things that will drop everything they're doing and try to murder you the instant they become aware of your existence and will never give up until one of you is dead or you manage to outrun them, despite being constantly surrounded by entire herds of their usual prey the entire time, are just cute lil' ordinary "predators", all part of the circle of life, nothing to see here, interlopers!

Omnicarus posted:

My favorite ship is a little exotic I found that is basically just a cockpit with thrusters, it's barely bigger than my character model

I have one of those, with little stubby wings. When I found it, it was called the "Eagle of Destiny", but that was clearly wrong, so I fixed that mistake and now I travel the galaxy in the Canary of Destiny:

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

NMS, the sound design and soundtrack have always been melancholy. But it's phasing between melancholy and the wonder of exploration.

The soundtrack is so good, I bought the red/blue vinyl edition.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

I like the freighter sound designs for the various rooms. I feel like I could easily use any one of them as ambient noise to fall asleep to.

To me the spookiest feeling is after warping to a new system in the freighter how silent it is except for a few quiet beeps, clicks and buzzes.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i really want to make my main base in an uncharted cadmium system and have my freighter based there, but finding the stupid frigate modules so i can get the freighter cadmium drive is impossible. i am 50 hours into this save and still don't have a single fuckin one.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i really want to make my main base in an uncharted cadmium system and have my freighter based there, but finding the stupid frigate modules so i can get the freighter cadmium drive is impossible. i am 50 hours into this save and still don't have a single fuckin one.

if you're on pc just cheat them in with a save editor imo

if not you can find them by pirating the cargo pods off freighters or as mission rewards in the nexus, it's not quick but you'll get there eventually

also apparently you can find them semi-regularly as loot from crates in derelict freighter missions? i've never seen one but some people swear this is the quickest way to farm them

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah I'm not going to say it was fast but it was certainly less than 50 hours for me to find everything up to the Indium drive.

Mostly I ransacked outlaw freighters, bouncing from system to system. As a bonus, hundreds of millions of units.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What I need is the goddamned matter beam for my freighter. Holy poo poo that'd help with so much.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What I need is the goddamned matter beam for my freighter. Holy poo poo that'd help with so much.
It is the greatest QOL update imaginable.

Of course it makes the warp drives even more important so that you can have your freighter in more systems, but nevertheless.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I would kill for inventory auto-sort and stack merge in this game.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I put like 60 hours into this game recently after never having played it. It hooked me like not many games have but it starts to feel pretty samey. I just wanted to push to the end of the story by the end and it was a bit of a let down, but I'm still happy with it overall. I didn't even get into kitting out my freighter or much real base building, just mostly doing quests (boy do I love checking boxes off on a checklist for some reason :downs:) and still had a decent time. That said after all my poo poo got busted, I don't really have much motivation to fix it. And I think I picked a new galaxy before realizing I couldn't check all of them so naturally I picked whatever the one was on the far left (red?). Oh well.

Pretty good pickup on sale for $12, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

"Don't mind me, I'm just going to the store for some oxygen and cobalt. Hell of a deal they've got going on right now."