Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

FiestaDePantalones posted:

If you’re not playing speed MTG during your 45s test between rounds, are you even training BJJ?

Tired: Chess-Boxing
Wired: MTG-BJJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
I left around the 41 minute mark. It was almost midnight and I had a 40 minute drive home. Guess I left right before the end of the match. I'm not crazy about the WNO format. All but one match went the distance. I much prefer a F2W format where you have dozens of shorter matches. Mica Galvao is an incredibly impressive grappler and seems like a real solid person, made me a fan for sure.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

musclecoder posted:

I left around the 41 minute mark. It was almost midnight and I had a 40 minute drive home. Guess I left right before the end of the match. I'm not crazy about the WNO format. All but one match went the distance. I much prefer a F2W format where you have dozens of shorter matches. Mica Galvao is an incredibly impressive grappler and seems like a real solid person, made me a fan for sure.

Were you the guy yelling at Pena "I have to work tomorrow"? Because that guy was cool.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Were you the guy yelling at Pena "I have to work tomorrow"? Because that guy was cool.

Haha, no, I'm definitely not that cool, he was about 3 rows in front of me.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

Did someone actually yell that out?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Maybe BJJ shouldn't go to the next level, if this is currently the best the sport has to offer.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Everybody wanna be the next level of BJJ, but don't nobody wanna get slap knocked out like that inverted leg locker.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Count Roland posted:

Tired: Chess-Boxing
Wired: MTG-BJJ

Im gonna try this out this weekend. Will report back.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
Cant imagine competing in such a physically and mentally taxing activity the same day I find out my good friend died. No wonder Pena had a meltdown

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Eustace posted:

Cant imagine competing in such a physically and mentally taxing activity the same day I find out my good friend died. No wonder Pena had a meltdown

I think there is this aspect that the Flo Grappling crowd didnt really acknowledge. But if you notice, the people that were paying homage to Lo were all high level grapplers who have done well in the Gi. The Nogi guys (like Ryan) really dont have that same frame of reference with Lo.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

Mekchu posted:

Did someone actually yell that out?

Yes, someone did about 10 minutes into the fight when they were both still standing and grip fighting.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

musclecoder posted:

He just needs to leave FS...

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
The guy I was doing randori with blew out his knee tonight, and although everyone said it wasn't my fault I still feel awful.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Sherbert Hoover posted:

The guy I was doing randori with blew out his knee tonight, and although everyone said it wasn't my fault I still feel awful.

yeah, it happens. It just means you have empathy.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

starkebn posted:

yeah, it happens. It just means you have empathy.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Also a heart. It's good that you don't want to break your training partners. I hope they recover quickly and I hope you feel better, too

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I've had training partners who don't understand rolling isn't a competition and hurting your partner isn't the goal.

And 100% feeling bad is not abnormal. I feel bad if/when that happens even if its a minor thing like making them tap from knee on belly pressure.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Sherbert Hoover posted:

drat. Hopefully its not something that requires surgery.

If youre close to him, check up on him. Itll help you feel better about what happened, and him feel better that someone in the gym cares.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Forgot my sweaty rashguard in my gym bag before I went on vacation. Everything in the bag smells so bad. Got it soaking in some diluted vinegar, but it may be toast.

pray for mojo

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Head Bee Guy posted:

Forgot my sweaty rashguard in my gym bag before I went on vacation. Everything in the bag smells so bad. Got it soaking in some diluted vinegar, but it may be toast.

pray for mojo

If I dont clean my within the first couple of days then its usually :rip:

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
I haven't had to de-funk anything that far gone, thank goodness, but I've found that OxiClean works better than vinegar for a soak.

Speaking of laundry, Tide Sport is my go-to for normal gear washing purposes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

when I've had some gear get really nasty over the years what I typically do is just throw it back in the laundry . I've never had anything remain funky after the 3rd wash .

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Ive been dealing with a rib injury for 10 weeks. please everyone pray for me. Thank you.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

An shot of Dr Bronner’s in the wash can get a lot of funk out.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Michael Transactions posted:

Ive been dealing with a rib injury for 10 weeks. please everyone pray for me. Thank you.

seriously the worst. thoughts and prayers.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Just got home from my first competition in about ten years. I didn't win anything but I accomplished my goals of not getting injured, learning what I need to work on, and having a good time.

I'm looking forward to the next opportunity to compete!

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

duckdealer posted:

Just got home from my first competition in about ten years. I didn't win anything but I accomplished my goals of not getting injured, learning what I need to work on, and having a good time.

That's a win in my book!!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

duckdealer posted:

I had a competition this weekend as well and lost, but I got to take home a rotator cuff (or that's what i'm guessing) injury from being thrown and landing on my shoulder.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

In almost 7 years of training, the injury that's kept me off the mats the longest was a (relatively minor) separated rib, and that's including a completely torn PCL in one knee. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. :-/

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Nestharken posted:

In almost 7 years of training, the injury that's kept me off the mats the longest was a (relatively minor) separated rib, and that's including a completely torn PCL in one knee. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. :-/

How long did it take to recover? I'm getting better and started training again (slowly) but has made me appreciate the rib cage a lot more.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

good seminar by Lachlan this weekend, be on the lookout for some cool poo poo from him come adcc

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
I hate all of you down under jerkwads! I can't wait until he's on East Coast (US) again. What kinda cool stuff did pick up from the seminar?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

it's secret adcc tech at the moment. I wouldn't want to blow his cover.

don't read this if you're prepping for adcc

it's reverse closed guard

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

How long did it take to recover? I'm getting better and started training again (slowly) but has made me appreciate the rib cage a lot more.

Not far off from ten weeks, IIRC, but that was with zero training or other physical activity. It's also more prone to re-injury now, but the silver lining is that "don't let people put weight on your ribs" is a generally useful goal to have while grappling.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Oh gosh yeah, feel better soon. I've been there. Ribs are the worst... I'm sorry :(

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

starkebn posted:

good seminar by Lachlan this weekend, be on the lookout for some cool poo poo from him come adcc

Got to go to a seminar run by Mikael Yahaya (one of the Absolute instructors) which was also really cool. He's got a neat back attack system which felt pretty natural and some cool tips for setting up the head-arm triangle from side control and knee on belly.

Competing this weekend and trying not to get into my own head too much. Just keep worrying that I'm gonna get on the mats and forget everything again

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

starkebn posted:

it's reverse closed guard

Im trying to picture this.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Reverse Closed Guard says to me either you're mounted but have a body lock on them or thay move where you are in the closed guard and roll them over and threaten a spinal lock unless they release their gaurd and accept back mount.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Im trying to picture this.

All I can think of is Jeff Glover's "Donkey guard" and it's cracking me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

FiestaDePantalones posted:

All I can think of is Jeff Glover's "Donkey guard" and it's cracking me up.

thats actually how I was picturing it too