Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Puntification posted:

Oh absolutely but I meant that I've never seen solar panels that weren't on a roof.

This but unironically.

There are a few small farms in the SE and one fairly large one being built on the north Kent coast. The MP for faversham, who is one of the most generic Tories you can imagine, has made opposition to it her defining policy - her husband is/was CEO of a company that do "renewable biomass energy plants" (they cut down woodland for fuel) and are the primary supplier to the Pfizer plant in sandwich, which has been looking at solar for a while.

If you told me she's the only MP with a blatant conflict of interest in the truss anti-solar camp I'd assume you were lying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Quick someone pay Farage 80 quid on that website thingy to make him say 'Yes I saw Trumps nuclear papers, and his bell end'.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Please let the year end with Farage in gitmo.

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat

The article linked is from 2017

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

The Donut posted:

continuing the trend for turning up years late

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Puntification posted:

Oh absolutely but I meant that I've never seen solar panels that weren't on a roof.

This but unironically.

there are a few about, you can spot them if you pan around Google maps a bit. you never see them from the ground though, they’re usually well out of the way and they’re really visually unobtrusive compared to literally any other kind of power generation.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

The Donut posted:

:mad:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

The one group of people I do think deserve even less are journalists. (Outside realators, and landlords).

So outside of skwawkbox I distrust the rest of the media. But how bad could this winter get?

Crowsbeak has issued a correction as of 17:21 on Aug 13, 2022

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

considering we're in a recession and the Tories' only answers to it are 'more Thatcherism', 'gently caress the EU', and 'pogrom the transes', I would have to say, very loving bad.

an article from the Herald a couple of days ago:

https://twitter.com/D_Blanchflower/status/1557340265324728320

good article overall, but here's their conclusion:

The above article posted:

In short, central bankers have overcooked their response to the burst in inflation which was caused by supply shocks from the pandemic followed by war in Ukraine. They raised rates and told the markets there were lots more increases coming, so financial markets tightened.

This has created a deep recession in the UK and elsewhere. Business and consumer confidence has collapsed, which is more predictive of bad things to come than a forward projection of inflation rates. If we are right and deflation is the danger we will shortly face, then the concern is that central banks will have no effective response since they can’t cut rates from 5% to zero.

The latest forecast of inflation by the MPC shows there is some prospect of deflation from the middle of 2024. There is every prospect this could happen sooner than that.

Compounding this the UK will have a new Prime Minister and no Chancellor in place, and from what we have heard so far, whoever is in place hasn’t the faintest clue on how to dampen a recession when rate rises are the only topic of discussion. In such circumstances the foreign exchange market is likely to have a field day as speculators short the pound.

(emphasis mine)

as an addendum, idk if this loving barmy Sunak tweet has been posted here yet, but here it is anyway: https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1556590394170818560

(yes, Truss will do this too when she wins, that isn't the point)

and here's how an author of the above article reacted:

https://twitter.com/MkBlyth/status/1556673406489198592
https://twitter.com/MkBlyth/status/1556679114379108353

so basically, we're all hosed

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

forkboy84 posted:

I've seen solar panels on the roofs of houses but fields of them? Not so much.

I dunno, you hear the same poo poo from Tories about windfarms & how ugly they are but whether they are far off white sticks on the horizon or you're driving 50 metres away from them I've always quite enjoyed how they look.

When I take the train to visit my mum there's a big field the train passes by that's full of solar panels. But they're well above the ground and at times I've seen cattle grazing in around them.

I've been up close to wind turbines and think they're pretty cool, even knowing the rare earth elements used in their construction carries its own host of environmental and ethical problems. But the aesthetic of these almost silent futurist structures quietly generating power in the midst of a wild landscape really appeals to me.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

They definitely have a sort of elegant, futuristic beauty of their own

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

kecske posted:

continuing the trend for turning up years late

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I've been up close to wind turbines and think they're pretty cool, even knowing the rare earth elements used in their construction carries its own host of environmental and ethical problems. But the aesthetic of these almost silent futurist structures quietly generating power in the midst of a wild landscape really appeals to me.

I've never been able to find it again but I recall a clip of an Egyptian immigrant to the UK reminiscing about his childhood in Egypt where the streets were lined with smokestacks, and they were awesome to him because they represented progress - in the UK, he feels that same sensation as an adult from wind turbines. It was quite a moving clip, the way it was put together

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
yeah count me amongst people who think wind turbines are sort of cool. they do look like a clean future to me, not ugly at all.

it hadn't occurred to me before that the idea they are eyesores ruining out natural environment is a germ spread from fossil fuel companies, even though it's so obvious. i thought it was just one of those things i don't understand why people care about, but now i do.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Some wind installations are easier on the eyes than others, for sure.

But that would still look like a gently caress-ugly blasted hellscape even without the wind turbines.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1558551464955351041

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/c_love888/status/1558480424724217856?s=20&t=Ayj3Dhyfqkz9JcFWXeBRIw

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i don't really know where else to post this but wanted to share anwyay. phil greaves has been permanently banned from twitter after going down tnhe antivaxxer rabbit hole

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jose posted:

i don't really know where else to post this but wanted to share anwyay. phil greaves has been permanently banned from twitter after going down tnhe antivaxxer rabbit hole

Who is Phil Greaves? I googled but there are several.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

extremely prolific tedious "left wing" twitter poster responsible for lots of memes by posting stuff like this

https://twitter.com/Archimbaldo/status/1558243354525290497?s=20&t=aqU-XUNH1skybVeaearyKA

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

iirc the only thing he didn't consider fascist was golf courses

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Party Boat posted:

iirc the only thing he didn't consider fascist was golf courses

him being a golf defender is what really made me think he was a gimmick account because jesus christ lol. the communist golfer

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

lol the racism

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
he's losing for many other reasons too

but yes you're not wrong

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

https://twitter.com/0ddette/status/1551299935689211907

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

RIP to one of the weirdest dudes I've ever come across on any platform

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Lady Militant posted:

him being a golf defender is what really made me think he was a gimmick account because jesus christ lol. the communist golfer
Capitalism = Golf
Communism = Mini golf
Monarchism = Frolf

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/NatalieAHood/status/1555946745774866440?t=KGpHpoLaLlOrE_tAwAm2aA&s=19

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
One weird trick to destroy the economy.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Like how is this sustainable? Even the mob will work out a payment plan to bleed their debtors.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Do MPs get to claim their energy bills? If so it's sustainable indefinitely

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

Do MPs get to claim their energy bills? If so it's sustainable indefinitely

they've claimed 420k so far this year for it

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Maybe I'm wrong but don't MPs also use shops and restaurants. Can't do that if everything had to close because the price of leccy has shot up x10

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

don't know if you've realised this but our ruling class and particularly the actual government are incredibly stupid

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Have we figured out a way to blame wokism yet?

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
energy bills going through the roof are making people not want to wok anymore

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Communist Thoughts posted:

Have we figured out a way to blame wokism yet?

Yes it goes like this: "it's wokism's fault".
Easy.

If you want slightly more justification than that you can start talking about how solar panel output goes down when they overheat if you like that's what my parents have been sending me from the mail

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

gonadic io posted:

Yes it goes like this: "it's wokism's fault".
Easy.

If you want slightly more justification than that you can start talking about how solar panel output goes down when they overheat if you like that's what my parents have been sending me from the mail

Do they also talk about wind turbines being shut down when it's too windy

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
You know it. Words for word identical to when the Texas supplier had all the gas plants shut down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

keep punching joe posted:

Like how is this sustainable? Even the mob will work out a payment plan to bleed their debtors.

It isn't the ruling class just hasn't faced any consequences so don't think they exist