Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
what would marx think of magic knight rayearth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"When do they get the robots, I played Super Robot Wars and they have robots"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
bad news if marx is playing the rayearth video games

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Working Class Designs

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
its tragic that the working designs tl of rayearth saturn redirects all discussion towards them adding child abuse and condom jokes, instead of talking about how the saturn game rewrites the plot so that they brutally kill all of the side villains, including the ones who have a change of heart and become their friends in the original story, and the guy who is literally mind controlled and is explicitly on their side and doesnt want to kill them

the rayearth video games skipping the darker second arc, somehow results in them being way darker. probably because rayearth 2 is about trying to explore all of the cast and explain how everyone has motivations beyond just being evil and present a happier outcome in them all working together to fix the issues that led to the events of season 1 instead of just killing the bad guys and saving the world lol

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 13, 2022

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
basically. we should all watch wings of rean

kater
Nov 16, 2010

honestly i think getting hit by a bus and meeting a cute angel is better setup than Danmachi's 'i grew up in the boonies and left to go to the seemingly only place that exists on the planet hi'.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Youtube has been recommending me fights from this and I don't know why.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
stealth marketing for the 2023 MAR reboot

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's bad. it distills the shounen fighting manga formula down to alternating training and tournament fights and absolutely nothing else.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Waffleman_ posted:

"When do they get the robots, I played Super Robot Wars and they have robots"

I love the fact that Super Robot Wars is the first videogame adaptation of Rayearth that actually covers the back half of the story. And it does so by Speedrunning the first half as quickly as possible to get to the giant robots so the characters can engage with the main gameplay. Shoutouts also to them saying "gently caress it" and giving Lantis a mech so he can do stuff too.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's bad. it distills the shounen fighting manga formula down to alternating training and tournament fights and absolutely nothing else.

It's totally fine. It distills the shounen fighting manga formula down to alternating training and tournament fights and absolutely nothing else.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

Konosuba spent all of it on animating explosions and Kazuma's hands.

kazuma desu

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Powerful Chisato and Takina outfits not only in the Eyecatch this week but in the main episode as well of Lycoris Recoil

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Powerful Chisato and Takina outfits not only in the Eyecatch this week but in the main episode as well of Lycoris Recoil

seconded. dapper takina ftw

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
reminder that "budget" is less accurate to it than just, prioritization. stuff will look better in shows not cause they had money to look it better but, cause they had time to make it look better

Omnicrom posted:

I love the fact that Super Robot Wars is the first videogame adaptation of Rayearth that actually covers the back half of the story. And it does so by Speedrunning the first half as quickly as possible to get to the giant robots so the characters can engage with the main gameplay. Shoutouts also to them saying "gently caress it" and giving Lantis a mech so he can do stuff too.

fair choice tbh since rayearth 1 is like. a decently fun shoujo fantasy adventure thing. but all of the interesting parts of rayearth are the end of s1 and all of s2 and every single rayearth game already only covers the first half

plus rayearth 2's primary issues are, long stretches of absolutely nothing happening in the plot really. but the actual characters are fun so giving the cast room to just bounce around other people and fill in all that dead air with story from other shows going on basically already alleviates its biggest problems

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Ok but are the fights cool or not

marumaru
May 20, 2013

SatoshiMiwa posted:

yeah. good stuff all around this episode. poor chisato!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

That sounds like the definition for good shonen NGL.

Could also work for a roguelike; like a shonen parody roguelike where each character adventures to get stronger and participate in tournaments and when you lose/die you're mentor (borrowing from wuxia and the cultivation genre for a moment) who is immortal uses that experience to give bonuses/bonus starting gear to your next character.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ninjewtsu posted:

Ok but are the fights cool or not

One of the fights had the guy do the cool dodge against the bad guys attack only for it to hit the audience. The good guys were then like "don't worry we'll protect the audience!" The bad guy immediately pulls out a bigger weapon and they're like "oh no we can't do anything about that!" So he has to tank each blow.

At that point it just devolves into the guy blowing through each of the bad guy's moves one by one until it ends with some terrible cgi.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Also later you can see them hung up in the cafe in the background

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

It's totally fine. It distills the shounen fighting manga formula down to alternating training and tournament fights and absolutely nothing else.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
I noticed we didn't have a Lycoris Recoil thread yet for some reason, so I went and made one

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Islamic Shock posted:

Please inform us on which tropes this does and which it subverts because holy poo poo am I tired of someone being isekai'd into teaching people common food, hygiene and weapons

LOL I just watched the latest episode of Black Summoner and they travel to a distant city which is similar to old Japan because they had a sudden craving for rice, and they fight a slave trade gang along the way. I'm predicting they'll 'invent' soy sauce or miso soup next ep and build a Japanese bath house

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New thread :toot:

quote:

:siren:Lycoris Recoil
A-1 Pictures | Shingo Adachi | Asaura | Slice of Life | Original | Jul 2, 2022
“LycoReco” is a café with a traditional Japanese twist located in downtown Tokyo. But the delicious coffee and sugary sweets are not the only orders this café takes! From delivering packages short distances, to pick-ups and drop-offs on the lonely streets at night, to zombies and giant monster extermination…?! Whatever your problem, we're here to help! We will solve any kind of "trouble" you may have! Waiting for you are the ever-smiling poster-girl and the cool, serious newcomer. A petite girl who never wants to work and a young woman approaching thirty who wants to get married. And the manager is a nice guy who’s obsessed with Japan! Whatever your order is, leave it all up to us.
PV
Thread

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Sk8 getting a season 2

https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1558705363238600704

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

So watching this week's shadow house and I feel like there was a bit of missing plot. Is this just me? I didn't think they knew that they were just normal humans with their memories wiped yet.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So as excited as I am for more Sk8 I can't imagine what a second season would entail.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

i hope the cop lady learns to shred

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Cops can't shred.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

She's going to learn to shred for the sole purpose of shutting the underground skate mountain like the villain of a sports movie.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Electric Phantasm posted:

She's going to learn to shred for the sole purpose of shutting the underground skate mountain like the villain of a sports movie.

I have been wracking my brain for season arcs and this one is basically the only one that works.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

New Pshyco Pass film project announced for the 10th Anniversary for those few remaining fans that weren't fully chased off by season 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkq2JvMBrcM&t=2s

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's been eight years since season 2. they've done tons of sequels and a third season that people thought were ok already. it's time to move on, from the psycho-pass season 2 meme

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

I have been wracking my brain for season arcs and this one is basically the only one that works.

I dunno, 'some complete loving weirdo shows up from out of town and causes chaos' seems like a pretty reliable standby.

Hope Shadow gets an episode or so to himself this time around.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Goddamn Rukia read Mami to filth

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

The Colonel posted:

it's been eight years since season 2. they've done tons of sequels and a third season that people thought were ok already. it's time to move on, from the psycho-pass season 2 meme

It’s hard to remember we got that because season 3 was quarantined to Amazon Prime jail, and we never got the OVA’s they did. Funimation decided to just not pick up the series because of that. Season 2 didn’t kill Psycho Pass, Amazon did.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hehe

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

I never made it past season 2