Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Yeah let me just pick this guy up then I'll sit down with him and hug his little leggies for the pin.

How about a high stack pinning powerbomb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
For those that didn't see it, last night on Dynamite Jericho held Moxley in a submission hold through an unfortunately-timed (sorta? It was kinda cool) commercial/picture-in-picture break. It felt like 5 minutes.

If it wasn't this, what's the longest (time-wise) submission hold in a televised match?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

backlund had bret in a chickenwing for like 10 minutes at survivor series 94. suzuki/tanahashi have that famous spot but i dont remember how long it is.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Yeah he used to be called the Cheetah Kid

Wasn't Cheetah Kid like an NE indie mainstay for ages? I think I remember seeing the name a lot for IWCCW results in the Apter mags back in the day.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Wasn't Cheetah Kid like an NE indie mainstay for ages? I think I remember seeing the name a lot for IWCCW results in the Apter mags back in the day.

You might be thinking of Cheetah Master. Gimmick might have also been given to someone else.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, he wrestled in pre-ECW Philly indy TWA, he did jobs in '80s AWA, he even had a few New Japan dates (including teaming with guys like Scott Hall & The Punisher (aka The Undertaker) & Pegasus Kid). Definitely what you'd call a NE mainstay before he finally got some momentum as Public Enemy. And for the IWCCW connection, he appeared on WCW doing some jobs as Mario Savoldi, after IWCCW promoter Angelo Savoldi's son. Whether that was a rib or a tribute, I dunno.

And yes, Cheetah Kid Ted Petty is not to be confused with Cheetah Master, who was a late '90s/very early '00s indy guy, who is probably best known for his run in the Delaware promotion ECWA (but he also showed up in Pennsylvania too), specifically in the first ever Super 8 tournament where he beat Devon Storm & Billy Kidman before losing in the finals.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

BaronVanAwesome posted:

For those that didn't see it, last night on Dynamite Jericho held Moxley in a submission hold through an unfortunately-timed (sorta? It was kinda cool) commercial/picture-in-picture break. It felt like 5 minutes.

If it wasn't this, what's the longest (time-wise) submission hold in a televised match?

Tanahashi and Minoru Suzuki once had a match where Suzuki held him in a kneebar for a pretty legitimate 10 minutes. Because it's Tanahashi and Suzuki, they still made it into incredible drama that didn't feel that long at all.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
what's the name of the submission hold wherein Wrestler A locks Wrestler B's knees and sits/kneels on them, keeping their upper body upright? Kazuyuki Fujita did it on Go Shiozaki yesterday. I believe Masa Kitamiya does it often, too.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lily Catts posted:

what's the name of the submission hold wherein Wrestler A locks Wrestler B's knees and sits/kneels on them, keeping their upper body upright? Kazuyuki Fujita did it on Go Shiozaki yesterday. I believe Masa Kitamiya does it often, too.

that's a kneeling figure four leglock, dubbed the Prison Lock by Masa Saito (who created it while he was in prison)

https://twitter.com/Hi5ame/status/1460694340070694921?s=20&t=1XgYTmODdHlxgiNzAZfNiw

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Sandman McMahon posted:

Cool! I'll keep an eye out next time I'm in a comic shop.

I highly recommend this one. A buddy bought it for me as a Christmas gift a couple years ago, lots of good info that covers pretty much everything from the earliest days up to right before AEW, including Mexico and Japan.

thought that looked familiar

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

the funny part is fire pro doesn't actually have counters for aerial attacks

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Artelier posted:

Yeah. As long as they are very specifically lined up with each other that guy is hosed!

But also lol at the covers, I never put that together

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Artelier posted:

Well, except moving slightly

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Pumphandle moves are kinda cool but the Grace Driver kicks a ton of rear end. It's a move that says "match over".

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I love the made in Japan

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Well, except moving slightly

The ZSJ manoeuvre

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Breetai posted:

Pumphandle moves are kinda cool but the Grace Driver kicks a ton of rear end. It's a move that says "match over".

Captain Foo posted:

I love the made in Japan

Aren’t they the same move?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Please respect the Unstoppable Fuckstorm and refer to the move as "Karma"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Dacap posted:

Aren’t they the same move?

I don’t know what a Grace Driver is!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What's the difference between a pumphandle move and a wrist clutch move? I thought a pumphandle was the specific way Road Dogg and Wrath lifted people for their pumphandle slams. The Made in Japan/Grace Driver I thought was a wrist clutch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4hfIILHxA4

Anyway, I really like moves that start from that arm triangle position.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

I don’t know what a Grace Driver is!

It is YOSHI-HASHI's Karma

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Yeah that looks like the same thing

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Arm Anderson’s Spine Buster

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is Undertaker the wrestler who stayed with one company the longest time, at 30 years? Not counting wrestlers who took backstage jobs, only active wrestlers, though calling Undertaker "active" is probably stretching the definition.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is Undertaker the wrestler who stayed with one company the longest time, at 30 years? Not counting wrestlers who took backstage jobs, only active wrestlers, though calling Undertaker "active" is probably stretching the definition.

Atlantis has been with CMLL for like 40 years.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Atlantis has been with CMLL for like 40 years.

Well, that's that.

Second question, have there ever been any male valets, for either a woman or man wrestler? Do any women even have managers? I don't think I could name one but I haven't paid attention to anything past 2001.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Well, that's that.

Second question, have there ever been any male valets, for either a woman or man wrestler? Do any women even have managers? I don't think I could name one but I haven't paid attention to anything past 2001.

you should check out aew, but yes and frequently

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

flatluigi posted:

I should, uh, do they have a free show that's available to stream or is it on TV like Raw?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Well, that's that.

Jimmy Hart managed the Glamour Girls, Harvey Wippleman managed Bertha Faye

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

flatluigi posted:

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I should, uh, do they have a free show that's available to stream or is it on TV like Raw?

Both. There's their Dark and Dark: Elevation shows on YouTube, and then the main show is Dynamite at 8 PM Eastern Wednesday nights on TBS, and the 1-hour Rampage is on Friday nights at 10 PM Eastern on TNT.

Jade Cargill, their Women's TBS Champion (basically, the midcard belt) has gone through now two male valet/managers, her "lawyer" Smart Mark Sterling now being replaced by her "agent" Stokely Hathaway. Also Kip Sabian and his wife Penelope Ford act as each other's valets... or at least they did before she got injured and he started showing up for every show wearing a box over his head. We still don't know why.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

They have a Wednesday show on TBS and a Friday show on TNT, but they also run free matches on youtube on Mondays and Tuesdays. It's mostly jobber matches but sometimes there are competitive matches.

But to answer your question Stokely Hathaway is currently managing Jade Cargill in AEW.

It's happened before, WCW had Sonny Onoo as the racist stereotype manager of Bull Nakano for instance.

As for male valets, the joke was Jason in ECW was a male valet rather than a manager.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Davros1 posted:

Jimmy Hart managed the Glamour Girls, Harvey Wippleman managed Bertha Faye

Isn't Stoke managing Jade in AEW even now? Also Larry Sweeney managed Sara Del Rey.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I don't know any of those people besides Jimmy Hart and ol' Harvey but thanks for the answers. If I had kept reading that Wikipedia article, I would've noticed Ricardo Rodriguez who they say fits the original description of a valet, so sure.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Admiral Joeslop posted:

if you're not in the US (or apparently Italy and maybe Germany) there's a website called fite.tv that has the entire run of AEW including the two weekly live TV episodes and a few of their PPVs for under ten bucks a month

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Kvantum posted:

Also Kip Sabian and his wife Penelope Ford act as each other's valets... or at least they did before she got injured and he started showing up for every show wearing a box over his head. We still don't know why.
I remember reading that Kip Sabian comment before and I assumed it was just a random joke but apparently this is true and now I am confused

And here I was thinking he had been quietly released a year ago or something

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Dr. Quarex posted:

I remember reading that Kip Sabian comment before and I assumed it was just a random joke but apparently this is true and now I am confused

And here I was thinking he had been quietly released a year ago or something

he was out with an injury for a while that was also keyfabed as miro horribly crippling him (warning: really good segment that's genuinely hard to watch)
https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1387583461939101698

they've only very recently started mentioning that it's been him in the crowd all this time, and he's being set up to return and challenge PAC in some way:
https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1554621065850245127

it's weird, but it's definitely a unique way to keep yourself active a bit while being on the shelf + i do think it's funny how some aew fans have noticed him since he started showing up and some of them never knew he's been around for months

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've noticed the guy wearing the box but I just assumed it was a fan being cheeky

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CommonShore posted:

I've noticed the guy wearing the box but I just assumed it was a fan being cheeky

No, it's Gomi.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Which Bray/Fiend loss is the most baffling?

I know not everyone is wild on him but the strange thing about him is they'd build him up, build him up, and then pull the rug out from under him right when he needed a win. And this happened over and over and over again with Cena, Undertaker, Goldberg.... Probably others I'm forgetting. I've never seen anything like it, putting in a lot of effort only to sabotage all your efforts at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Probably Goldberg for me. Cena is Cena and Undertaker is probably the truest version of a WWE legend but Goldberg is a guy that was most popular 25 years ago and didn't even seem to mean much to the WWE.