Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Gimmick cheap skins like inflators and sprayers (and glue guns) are worth buying into a cheap ecosystem, even if you're already invested in a pro ecosystem.

nthing the dual inflator. Not only is it 1000 times more convenient than the air compressor, but the clip mechanism means it actually works on kids bikes and trolleys. (There's no reason why you couldn't get such a clip on a compressed air inflator, but I have literally never seen one.) I can even use the high volume side as a ghetto workshop blower in a pinch.

I also got a LED worklight that was a quarter the price of the Hitachi one and is better designed. Since getting it I have used it way more than I thought I would ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

~Coxy posted:

Gimmick cheap skins like inflators and sprayers (and glue guns) are worth buying into a cheap ecosystem, even if you're already invested in a pro ecosystem.

nthing the dual inflator. Not only is it 1000 times more convenient than the air compressor, but the clip mechanism means it actually works on kids bikes and trolleys. (There's no reason why you couldn't get such a clip on a compressed air inflator, but I have literally never seen one.) I can even use the high volume side as a ghetto workshop blower in a pinch.

I also got a LED worklight that was a quarter the price of the Hitachi one and is better designed. Since getting it I have used it way more than I thought I would ever.

Search "clip on air chuck". They're very common for truck tires.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Working on my in-laws' lawnmowers has been an education. The Poulan Pro lawnmower is interesting. I think I'm coming to terms with the concept of a plastic carburetor. Actually a clever piece of engineering and I've worked on enough SCUBA equipment to understand the concept of "pry these tabs up very carefully or you'll be buying another expensive piece of plastic". Rest of the mower looks like it was never designed to make it past the first maintenance interval. It should be fine for an established suburban lawn and avoided by people like me - don't sharpen until the second mowing of the spring so you'll have been reminded again of where the boulders are.

Their electric lawnmower is a little 16" Greenworks electric from 2016, lightly used. Apparently this type of battery is known for discharging over the winter to the point the charger won't recognize it. Sounds like Greenworks substituted the tradition spring trip to the shop to deal with fuel problems with buying a new battery. Maybe this is why Greenworks brought out their Generation 2 batteries and equipment. Unfortunately Gen 2 batteries while they will fit into Gen 1 equipment are electrically incompatible with Gen 1. The only sources of Gen 1 batteries now are a couple of places on Amazon at a cost that would buy a new Ryobi, a couple of batteries, and a charger with change for a bunch of junk food. Unless I can find a 40v DC source and successfully "jump start" the old battery pack this lightly used mower is scrap. :capitalism:

I think in future I'll be avoiding any battery equipment that isn't common enough to have battery adapters available on AliExpress.

Screw it, maybe I'll hook the old battery pack up to the welder and see what happens. Should I dig a bunker first or position the battery pack so it digs the bunker for me?

~Coxy posted:

I can see this happening. Sooner or later Ryobi is going to have a package that's too good to miss and I'm going to end up with actual Ryobi batteries and chargers instead of running the glue gun and fan on Makita batteries with an adapter.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

~Coxy posted:

They got rid of the clip-on thing on the redesigned Ryobi dual inflator

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I appreciate this website and it was absolutely constructed by an insane person

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

sharkytm posted:

Search "clip on air chuck". They're very common for truck tires.

I have one!
Thanks for that term, I might buy one because I can see the branded $22 piece of brass being better than the crap that comes on the $25 inflator.
But even so, I can't imagine that it would work as well on kids bikes. The schrader valve always wants to skin into the tyre so you can't make a good seal.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

El Mero Mero posted:

I appreciate this website and it was absolutely constructed by an insane person

I feel like there are decent odds the creator is on this website.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Milwaukee Fuel 12V poo poo is wild. Just ran about 20 4 1/2" lag screws into landscape timbers with ease. Still have half the battery left too.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I need a chainsaw, I had big maple explode and left a nice 30” diameter chunk in my yard. I leaning towards the 18” Dewalt flexvolt because I already have a pair of Flexvolt batteries. An Ego is my second choice since I already have a mower and battery. Third place is just get the small Dewalt.

Calidus fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 13, 2022

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Chainsaws are battery hogs. Go with the larger battery versions. I don't have any practical experience with DeWalt or ego but I'm sure they're fine.

Mr. Yuk
Apr 1, 2005

In case of accidental ingestion, please consult a mortician.

Calidus posted:

I need a chainsaw, I had big maple explode and left a nice 30” diameter chunk in my yard. I leaning towards the 18” Dewalt flexvolt because I already have a pair of Flexvolt batteries. An Ego is my second choice since I already have a mower and battery. Third place is just get the small Dewalt.

If you get the DeWalt one, be aware that you have to drain the bar oil after every use. There's no retention valve, so it will just bleed out through the chainsaw onto whatever you're storing it in. We got a LOT of complaints about that from customers when I worked there.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

What the hell? How is that in any way acceptable?

Mr. Yuk
Apr 1, 2005

In case of accidental ingestion, please consult a mortician.

Motronic posted:

What the hell? How is that in any way acceptable?

It sucks, straight up.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Oh that is just stupid, it looks like your supposed do the same thing with Ego.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Can confirm my ryobi chainsaw also does the same thing. I just leave it tilted up.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

So these saws don't have a bar oil pump? Do they just dribble oil out regardless of chain speed? How are you suspposed to meter that?

Or are these saws basically quick use/toys that just eat chains so nobody does any real work with them?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Motronic posted:

So these saws don't have a bar oil pump? Do they just dribble oil out regardless of chain speed? How are you suspposed to meter that?

Or are these saws basically quick use/toys that just eat chains so nobody does any real work with them?

I have the EGO and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a pump. It just dribbles out but at a pretty heavy rate. I've gone through a few chains on mine but that was mostly because I was plunging it into the sandy ground to cut big roots.

I store it on its side so that it doesn't make too big of a mess.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Oh man, that would bug the piss out of me. I like the idea of battery saws and they're like 90% there, not things like that which would be easy to fix, holy poo poo the cost with multiple batteries, and the battery life.

I'll stick to my gas saw until they get a little better, or I'll add an electric when I invest in a high voltage yard tool battery system.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Motronic posted:

I have the Flexvolt Dewalt and can confirm it will drain oil out when storing if it's facing down. It puts out enough oil that the chains last a long time. I've cut up 20' 8" trees with no issues on several occasions, usually on one battery as well. For my lake use with it I'll never go back to a gas, it's a great tool, possibly my favorite.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Fwiw, I am shocked at how great my ryobi electric pole saw is. Just a little 8 inch chain saw on the end of a pole and it is roughly 10x faster than a manual one.

I was 100% against battery chainsaws based largely on how much power they need to be effective, but im considering a small one to complement my big gas one.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

They only significant differences between the Ego and the Dewalt seem to be that Dewalt uses 2 bolts to hold the bar and Ego uses 1 and has toolless tension adjustment. Am I missing something else?

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
So notice the Ryobi dual inflator is on DTO and 20% off (no free shipping, so meh, will probably wait), how long would a 1.5mah last with that?

I've got 3 cars I would top off tire pressure with, if I'm going off 3 or 4psi per tire would it last or need a bigger battery pack. I've got DeWalt batteries but $130 for the inflator alone is kinda pricey by comparison.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I grabbed the DeWalt oscillating saw a lil while back and it's been exceedingly useful but my goodness, the vibration! I feel my hands turning numb if I grip even a little too hard, I gotta be careful not to push it .. Its like the exact resonant frequency to gently caress my poo poo up, no other tool comes close.

Still love the tool :D

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

stealie72 posted:

Fwiw, I am shocked at how great my ryobi electric pole saw is. Just a little 8 inch chain saw on the end of a pole and it is roughly 10x faster than a manual one.

I was 100% against battery chainsaws based largely on how much power they need to be effective, but im considering a small one to complement my big gas one.

I got one of those when I gave my corded to my friend for helping me take down a monster bradford pear. It's kinda underpowered comparatively, but I think a foot longer? So you have to finesse your cuts a bit more. Which maybe you should always do with a pole saw, heck.

I'm still all about gas with a regular chainsaw though.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Calidus posted:

The new 18" DeWalt flexvolt saw that just came out? I've used the 16" one and it's a great saw. The 18" seems to have more secure bar attachment, I'm not sure if the oil situation is the same. My 16" saw doesn't leak anything if laid on its side with the oil reservoir cover facing up.

I've cut down and cut up like 5 trees I think? One of which was a 50' tall dead pine. My biggest issue has been I only have one small flexvolt battery, the 6ah one. At my sister's house where she has two 9ah batteries I can cut as long as I can hold out working in the heat.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Mr. Yuk posted:

If you get the DeWalt one, be aware that you have to drain the bar oil after every use. There's no retention valve, so it will just bleed out through the chainsaw onto whatever you're storing it in. We got a LOT of complaints about that from customers when I worked there.

Well, that's massively stupid, given how much I hate handling bar oil. If the Makita uses the same system so far it's no worse than any other saw I've owned - store on a piece of cardboard because there's always a little seepage from somewhere.

stealie72 posted:

I picked up a DeWalt earlier this summer and it is great. Faster and a lot more finesse than a manual saw. Won't power its way through a pinch but that's asking a bit much. Need to check it now to make sure it's not leaking excess bar oil in storage.

Mr. Mambold posted:

I'm still all about gas with a regular chainsaw though.

I would have said that at one point too but after the Makita I'm not so sure. More and more the Stihl 460 is limited to felling and heavy bucking duties, the Makita gets used for limbing, light bucking, and everything else. Depends on how long your coffee / recharging breaks to be or if you can afford to carry a bucket of batteries around. Unless you're a professional eventually you'll run out of things to cut anyway.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I grabbed the DeWalt oscillating saw a lil while back and it's been exceedingly useful but my goodness, the vibration! I feel my hands turning numb if I grip even a little too hard, I gotta be careful not to push it .. Its like the exact resonant frequency to gently caress my poo poo up, no other tool comes close.

Once in North America your choice of oscillating tool was Fein or Fein. Then Ryobi came out with a much cheaper competitor that some of us couldn't use because it would trigger our carpel tunnel syndrome. Someone on a woodworking discussion group posted pictures of a woman using it as God intended - as a sex toy.

I think they make special gloves for that now.

For handling the tool.

Err, not THAT tool.

For woodworking. NOT THAT WOOD.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
The only chainsaw I've ever owned is a 45 dollar plug in one, so all this talk of oil retention is blowing my mind right now. I assumed chainsaws were just like Harleys.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I just love cutting poo poo with a loving chainsaw. Gas, electric, it doesn't matter. But my plug in Makita is a beast and I love it dearly. It has pretty much replaced my Stihl ms250. Still bust the gas out for huge stuff just because bar length but man I am a fan of the little plug in guy.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Slugworth posted:

The only chainsaw I've ever owned is a 45 dollar plug in one, so all this talk of oil retention is blowing my mind right now. I assumed chainsaws were just like Harleys.

They are in the sense that they can both main the gently caress out of you so you wish God taken you at that very moment.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Vibration dampening gloves, I have some palmer safety gloves that help.

Literally A Person posted:

I just love cutting poo poo with a loving chainsaw. Gas, electric, it doesn't matter. But my plug in Makita is a beast and I love it dearly. It has pretty much replaced my Stihl ms250. Still bust the gas out for huge stuff just because bar length but man I am a fan of the little plug in guy.
Do I have the yard for you, I have all sorts of dead trees to cut down around the fields if you're feeling bored.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

They are in the sense that they can both main the gently caress out of you so you wish God taken you at that very moment.
Also like a harley, if you're not an rear end in a top hat and both learn how to use it correctly and wear some protective equipment, the odds of this happening lowers dramatically.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

NomNomNom posted:

Can confirm my ryobi chainsaw also does the same thing. I just leave it tilted up.

My Ryobi lives in an old paint tray and that seems to get it done.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Also like a harley, if you're not an rear end in a top hat and both learn how to use it correctly and wear some protective equipment, the odds of this happening lowers dramatically.

Nah jeans and a t-shirt is all I need God is my safety gear

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

tater_salad posted:

Nah jeans and a t-shirt is all I need God is my safety gear

Hosannah in the highest.

*genuflects*

bred
Oct 24, 2008

Bob Mundon posted:

So notice the Ryobi dual inflator is on DTO and 20% off (no free shipping, so meh, will probably wait), how long would a 1.5mah last with that?

I've got 3 cars I would top off tire pressure with, if I'm going off 3 or 4psi per tire would it last or need a bigger battery pack. I've got DeWalt batteries but $130 for the inflator alone is kinda pricey by comparison.

I have it and haven't reached the limit on my 1.5 battery. The biggest job I've done is checking/topping 8 car tires and 4 bicycle tires. It has to screw on to the valve instead of the clip on lever thing.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Son of a bitch. I went from DeWalt-only tools to like 75% Ryobi / 25% DeWalt in the span of like 2 months with these Ryobi day sales. I keep seeing tools I need with 2 free batteries and charger. I currently have 243 batteries and 75 chargers. Or at least it feels that way.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Can y'all help me identify what kind of anchors this guy is using here, and in what size?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHzFig-3Drs
All I can tell from the video is that they're brown, and nothing that looks like that is showing up in my searches on Home Depot or Lowes.

Actually I'd appreciate if someone could give me an idea of what kind of screws he's using too. Like what type, what size, what length, etc.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 18, 2022

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I imagine how well that works depends on the age of the brick. Newer brick might be fine, older brick (pre 1930s) tends to be pretty soft and putting a screw through the middle might not go that well.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Danhenge posted:

I imagine how well that works depends on the age of the brick. Newer brick might be fine, older brick (pre 1930s) tends to be pretty soft and putting a screw through the middle might not go that well.

In my case the brick is from about the 1960s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They just look like normal plastic anchors to me but in brown. Like so maybe? https://a.co/d/3pC33fb