Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I’m about 2/3 through God Emperor and still enjoying them, plus I’d say Children was my favourite so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

fez_machine posted:

Just reading the Taking Flight synopsis when I was doing some digging inspired by this thread set off a bunch of red flags.

I don't think there's ever been a truly good man/boy discovers magical creature (mermaid, e.t., Selkie, whatever) girl and protects her from oppression story.

Ex Machina

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, sorry, Taking Flight is probably the outright worst book in the entire series, and so I haven't read it in probably twenty years, and I couldn' tell you what happens in it at all off the top of my head apart from "that's the bad one with the bird person." I think every time I've re-read the series I skipped it. Sorry, that's my bad and I should've warned you, hope you didn't start with that one.

The ones I genuinely strongly recommend are Misenchanted Sword and Ithanalin's Restoration. The rest of the series has a wide variation in quality.

Overall ethshar novel rankings (imho)

A: Misenchanted Sword, Ithanalin's Restoration -- character driven cozy masterpieces
B: Unwilling Warlord, Night of Madness, Vondish Ambassador, Unwelcome Warlock (basically the whole chain of warlock stories -- solid character driven fantasy stories exploring a novel premise)
C: With a Single Spell, The Blood of a Dragon -- kinda dumb farmboy fantasy from what I recall

Spriggan Mirror I genuinely don't remember anything about it at all. Taking Flight I remember thinking 'the bad one." Spell of the Black Dagger is "ok, he's going dark with this one."

I did finish Taking Flight and it wasn't awful or vile in any sense once you get right down to it. The premise is essentially "a few people travel together for a while and then eventually stop traveling together." It was actually kind of cool to get to check in with Valder and Irideth after The Misenchanted Sword. Mostly I guess I was expecting something along the lines of a more grounded version of Discworld and not "eternal 15 year old girl who is also sexually active". That kind of caught me off guard.

Meanwhile among the books I got were three more Ethshar novels: The Sorcerer's Widow, Relics of War and Stone Unturned.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I remember blood of the dragon being not a good book. I think it was because it was boring, but honestly once I file a book mentally under the "nope" category I kinda forget about it other than the title and a vague description.

I think taking flight was just kinda weird and pointless, but it's definitely not one of the books I'd recommend to anyone who might want to try the series.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The rule of thumb with the Dune series is to keep reading until you reach a point where you say "this is stupid." Where that point is will be different for everyone, but once you reach that point, it will never get better for you.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

It is never too early to stop reading Dune.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Read them all. Don't be a quitter

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

One of the most valuable lessons I learned is that you can stop reading a book if you don't like it.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
DNF = (A) Decision (that is) Nice & Fine

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Every time I've forced myself to finish a book it's been worse than the time before.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

Should I read any other Dune books besides the original?
The first book has the answer for you:
“Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: 'Now, it's complete because it's ended here.'"

Kalman posted:

Read until you don’t want to keep going or until you’ve finished Chapterhouse. Under no circumstances read anything Dune that wasn’t written by Frank.
But op, there are no books except the ones written by Frank Herbert.

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:
Just finished A Prayer for the Crown-Shy and it was great, a nice little slice of life story about a monk who meets a robot in the woods and travels to twee little villages to ask the big question: what do humans need? The stakes are nice and low, and it’s pretty short - a good summer afternoon read.

Also read Slaughterhouse-Five, which is basically an anti-war novel with a light sci-fi window dressing (guy gets unstuck in time, living his life out of order). Funnier than I thought it would be, though it’s kind of a dry humour.

All Quiet on the Western Front definitely isn’t a sci-fi novel, but if you’re into military sci-fi/fantasy you should give it a shot. A teenager fights in WWI, a bunch of people he grew up with dies, and then he has to go back to his hometown and hear all the old men talk about the war like it was a football game.

Also read The God is Not Willing (nice to see a new Malazan novel, glad we got this instead of another dreary Tiste-whatever slog) and the Ravenor Omnibus (pretty good grimdark W40k adventure, wish it had more of the Eisenhorn-style side stories).

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I wrote my A Level English lit coursework on Slaughterhouse Five not being a sci fi novel at all and just about a guy having a disassociative experience to rationalise his wartime trauma and I stand by that

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

No Dignity posted:

I wrote my A Level English lit coursework on Slaughterhouse Five not being a sci fi novel at all and just about a guy having a disassociative experience to rationalise his wartime trauma and I stand by that
Eh, Vonnegut had plenty of stuff that's unambiguously SF in genre (Sirens of Titan, for instance), I think it might legitimately be about a dude who's unstuck in time.

always weird to me that he hit it so big as a "mainstream" author when he feels so SF (in a good way)

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Dr Futurity by Philip K Dick - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008LQ1EUK/

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

No Dignity posted:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Eh, Vonnegut had plenty of stuff that's unambiguously SF in genre (Sirens of Titan, for instance), I think it might legitimately be about a dude who's unstuck in time.

always weird to me that he hit it so big as a "mainstream" author when he feels so SF (in a good way)

That’s what’s great about that novel. It can be read either way and both readings are totally valid

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Every Vonnegut novel is about a dude unstuck in time. Sometimes it's for a good reason, like being bombed in Dresden or in the middle of a planetary time quake, but sometimes it's just because they got caught dating a teaching assistant.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That's why Niven and Pournelle had Vonnegut in hell in their Inferno -- they were pissed that he was writing stuff using SF tropes while rejecting the label of "SF writer."

Oh, and the comics adaptation of Slaughterhouse-Five is excellent, too.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Selachian posted:

That's why Niven and Pournelle had Vonnegut in hell in their Inferno -- they were pissed that he was writing stuff using SF tropes while rejecting the label of "SF writer."

Charles Lippincott posted:

LosCon is where I was heckled off the stage by writer Jerry Pournelle [after giving a presentation on the upcoming film Star Wars]. He really gave me a tough time, saying things like, "This is space opera. It's not science fiction."

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Everything's genre until someone decides it's too good to be genre. Vonnegut is a fantastic writer though. More people should read mother night and breakfast of champions

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
I read Slaughterhouse Five as a sort of 3rd person autofiction once it became clear in the introduction that he wanted to write about what he saw and just couldn't, and had to tell about it through a person who had gotten the alien/time traveler perspective on death so he wouldn't be totally wrecked by it all. I haven't read Niven & Pournelle's Inferno but from what I have read from both of them I would have guessed it was because he said war is, like, bad, man.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
I read Breakfast of Champions for the pictures.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
It's funny to see Harlan Ellison make the same exact claim that sci-fi is a ghetto beneath him -- despite being more directly a creator in the science fiction genre while passive aggressively insulting his (more) accomplished peers.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I read Slaughterhouse Five as a sort of 3rd person autofiction once it became clear in the introduction that he wanted to write about what he saw and just couldn't, and had to tell about it through a person who had gotten the alien/time traveler perspective on death so he wouldn't be totally wrecked by it all. I haven't read Niven & Pournelle's Inferno but from what I have read from both of them I would have guessed it was because he said war is, like, bad, man.

They also had a circle of hell that was just stereotypical gay guys being run over with cars iirc

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

sebmojo posted:

They also had a circle of hell that was just stereotypical gay guys being run over with cars iirc

The people being run over by cars were polluters; gay people were in a desert of burning sand with fire raining on them.

(And the authorial insert main character, faced with this, remembers his gay neighbors - “Quiet neighbors, friendly middle-aged people like any married couple without children” - and thinks that the punishment is totally inappropriate.)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

yeah it's absolutely a way to work through PTSD like Hammers Slammers was for David Drake

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Finished the Book of the New Sun last night after failing to get through the first few chapters many years ago. I don't think I've ever been quite so confused and satisfied at the same time. What a masterpiece.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Including urth?

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Including urth?

Not yet, still need to get my hands on a copy. Is it that necessary? As a matter of fact, are the short sun/long sun books good?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
They're different. I didn't like any of them as much as the New Sun but they're worth reading if you enjoy Wolfe in general.

Has anyone written anything like the New Sun recently?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Whale Vomit posted:

It's funny to see Harlan Ellison make the same exact claim that sci-fi is a ghetto beneath him -- despite being more directly a creator in the science fiction genre while passive aggressively insulting his (more) accomplished peers.
Stanislaw Lem insisted that he did not write science fiction because it all sucked (with a few exceptions like Philip K. Dick)

of couse, Philip K. Dick insisted that Stanislaw Lem did not exist and was a Communist construct

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Chas McGill posted:

Has anyone written anything like the New Sun recently?
Closest I got to that feeling was Jeffrey Ford's Well-built City trilogy. Mind you, it's a lot less obtuse.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Carrier posted:

Not yet, still need to get my hands on a copy. Is it that necessary? As a matter of fact, are the short sun/long sun books good?

It's a full sequel that makes what is very vague explicit while adding a whole lot more questions. Long and Short sun are fantastic, quite a few people will tell you Short sun is the best of the whole Solar Cycle, I don't know if I'll go that far, but I lean that way. The Long/Short sun is in form a sort of examination of different genres e.g Detective Fiction, Crime Fiction, Revolutionary Fiction, Natural disaster fiction, an Odyssey like journey, a disastrous expedition. Compared to New Sun being a sort of biblical project, it's also written in a very different style with each of the hundreds of characters talking in distinctive speech and written with some slang but a lot less archaic words. Silk is also just a huge breath of fresh air after dealing with the interesting but still weird as hell Severian. Silk just seems like a really nice dude who I want to hang out with and die in the service of.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
silk is really boring imo, i much prefer severian

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I can't stand what I've read of long sun fwiw, it's just endless scenes of people speculating about what the plot might be. I really fall off Wolfe after Soldier of arete, though that's not a common view so take it with a grain of salt.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

sebmojo posted:

I can't stand what I've read of long sun fwiw, it's just endless scenes of people speculating about what the plot might be. I really fall off Wolfe after Soldier of arete, though that's not a common view so take it with a grain of salt.

How far did you get into it? By the third novel poo poo is happening so fast that I was really hoping they'd pump the breaks for a minute so I could catch up

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

anilEhilated posted:

Closest I got to that feeling was Jeffrey Ford's Well-built City trilogy. Mind you, it's a lot less obtuse.
How am I supposed to buy these things that are not on amazon, get with the evil monopolist already

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

sebmojo posted:

I feel like Wolfe is more an author's author than he is a reader's author. His stuff is technically brilliant and intricate and he's always doing neat things, but he often quite literally loses the plot and his books are often a lot more puzzle than they are story.

I've read pretty much everything he's written. I respect his work. I doubt I'll read any of it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gaius Marius posted:

How far did you get into it? By the third novel poo poo is happening so fast that I was really hoping they'd pump the breaks for a minute so I could catch up

Probably 2/3 of the way through book 2, so maybe that's the issue! I also didn't like wizard Knight or soldier of Sidon, so I gave up trying at that point.