Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Today my dad and his girlfriend came over. Brisket was in full bark-mode. He's seen my dad plenty but her only a handful.
Then she took him outside and they played there was no barking for a good five ten minutes they come back inside and he's back to barking at her.
This loving goober.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Pavlov hurt his right rear leg yesterday. He didn't want to put weight on it. He was doing a little better today, was willing to walk around the house, so we went on a very slow walk. It was going well until he pooped, after which he reflexively tried to dig dirt over the pile, yelped, and started walking on three legs :smith:

At least he pooped (and urinated), so he should be OK to just lie around the house today. Hopefully he improves from here.

Do you know what happened? Might want to check to see if he torn an ACL or something like that. Little Bear partially tore his and there was zero indication anything had happened until we got home.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Dango Bango posted:

Do you know what happened? Might want to check to see if he torn an ACL or something like that. Little Bear partially tore his and there was zero indication anything had happened until we got home.

No clue, unfortunately. He was fine, then I spent an hour or so in the kitchen and when I was done, he was hiding under my desk. Best guess is he was patrolling the fence because my next-door neighbor was gardening in his back yard, and he strained something.

Taking him to the vet is unfortunately not likely in the cards unless it's really obvious he needs it, because he has serious vet-related anxiety. Plus their waiting list is at least a week. I'm keeping a close eye on him for now. My own examinations haven't shown anything obviously wrong. He has the world's greatest poker face, though, so it's not like me poking and prodding him provokes much of a reaction.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Sudden reluctance to put weight on a back leg really warrants getting the knee properly checked out for a torn or partially torn ligament.

My collie tore her cruciate awhile back, and getting it diagnosed and fixed early was important in reducing the amount of arthritis that develops.

I hope it's not that serious and just a strain, but it's better to know sooner rather than later.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I would really try to get him to a vet.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Is a dog being afraid to pee around their owner a natural behavior that happens sometimes or is this something that a previous owner could have caused by aggressively shouting and making the dog afraid to pee in the presence of a human?

I'm asking so I can understand what I'm dealing with here. It needs to be corrected and he will not pee on walks. Today was more of the same. He holds the pee in during the walk and as soon as I let him inside he darts off acting like he's excited and looking around but haha NOPE he's going to pee now that he's inside and able to slink off. I left him outside a lot today, but even so I learned that he is definitely waiting for the walk to end so he can go inside, scurry out-of-sight, and ninja-pee. I cannot get him to pee on a walk.

I started monitoring water consumption. I moved the dog's bowls outside and had a talk about keeping all bathroom doors closed and toilet lids covered. As far as I know this dog wont drink water and should be dead by now. He had half a bowl of water over the entire day. I let my roommate watch the dog for a bit so they idk watched him for a bit and then left without letting me know. The dog chewed on some stuff and I found a bathroom door was open with the toilet lid uncovered so I think I know what happened. Suffice to say the total volume of piss on the carpet exceeds the volume of water he drank.

Leaving him outside while monitoring water consumption might help reduce indoor incidents but this doesn't help with establishing a desired behavior. He will not pee on walks. I try looking away and letting him sniff as long as he wants. He just wont go.

Another big issue is shyness/fear of pretty much everything and anything. I've gotten some looks because my dog is clearly scared and wants to go home but I'm a big meanie that's making him walk anyways. Today I found a treat he responds to somewhat but he really isn't food motivated so much as fear motivated. I don't have the energy to deal with this problem simultaneously. His housetraining is the priority and he absolutely needs to get walked until he is tired enough to come inside and chill. I can't have a neglected dog in the yard barking wildly at all hours. If he walks enough to mellow him out I can actually post itt with tired dog just chillin. So I have been an unmerciful dog-walker. I've done my best to let him know that I'm not mad at him. Walks are just a thing we are doing. Dogwalking is not a warcrime.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Sanctum posted:

Is a dog being afraid to pee around their owner a natural behavior that happens sometimes or is this something that a previous owner could have caused by aggressively shouting and making the dog afraid to pee in the presence of a human?

I'm asking so I can understand what I'm dealing with here. It needs to be corrected and he will not pee on walks. Today was more of the same. He holds the pee in during the walk and as soon as I let him inside he darts off acting like he's excited and looking around but haha NOPE he's going to pee now that he's inside and able to slink off. I left him outside a lot today, but even so I learned that he is definitely waiting for the walk to end so he can go inside, scurry out-of-sight, and ninja-pee. I cannot get him to pee on a walk.

I started monitoring water consumption. I moved the dog's bowls outside and had a talk about keeping all bathroom doors closed and toilet lids covered. As far as I know this dog wont drink water and should be dead by now. He had half a bowl of water over the entire day. I let my roommate watch the dog for a bit so they idk watched him for a bit and then left without letting me know. The dog chewed on some stuff and I found a bathroom door was open with the toilet lid uncovered so I think I know what happened. Suffice to say the total volume of piss on the carpet exceeds the volume of water he drank.

Leaving him outside while monitoring water consumption might help reduce indoor incidents but this doesn't help with establishing a desired behavior. He will not pee on walks. I try looking away and letting him sniff as long as he wants. He just wont go.

Another big issue is shyness/fear of pretty much everything and anything. I've gotten some looks because my dog is clearly scared and wants to go home but I'm a big meanie that's making him walk anyways. Today I found a treat he responds to somewhat but he really isn't food motivated so much as fear motivated. I don't have the energy to deal with this problem simultaneously. His housetraining is the priority and he absolutely needs to get walked until he is tired enough to come inside and chill. I can't have a neglected dog in the yard barking wildly at all hours. If he walks enough to mellow him out I can actually post itt with tired dog just chillin. So I have been an unmerciful dog-walker. I've done my best to let him know that I'm not mad at him. Walks are just a thing we are doing. Dogwalking is not a warcrime.

There's a temptation to give a dog poo poo if you catch them peeing where they shouldn't, but they can absolutely just build a negative association with peeing around you. That's a pretty common roadblock for people. The previous owners may have contributed to this. We had been going "no bad" when our dog peed inside and we caught her, we had to stop doing that and then just trade off having her on walks and with us until she went outside then threw a party when she did... it was so hard though.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

A friend sent me this comic today, thought a couple of you itt dealing with new puppy woes would enjoy:

Oh I do enjoy this, very much so.

I am now at the point where to make my partner laugh I've been penning verses to go to the tune of "that's amore" about Holly's antics. Because it's either do that or despair.

This all being said, her behaviour over the past few weeks has improved to the point I get compliments on her friendliness and how well she's doing with her doggy manners. Little do they know my loveable extravert needed some dog friends and multiple puppy schools were the only places I could think to take her for that until she was fully vaccinated. It was also really nice to be told by the instructor at one that we clearly put a lot of effort into training, especially considering how poorly things were going when we first got her. :3:

I've pretty much accepted Holly is so intelligent and extraverted that we'll be sinking huge amounts of time into training her for the foreseeable future. We're about midway through the RSPCA Level 1 training, and are starting level 1 training with a different group on the weekend.

I'm now the Crazed Dog Lady of the neighbourhood, good grief.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Sanctum posted:

This is a brand new to you dog, right? Like you got him 3 days ago? Do you know anything about his previous home? If the dog is scared to the point of random strangers noticing the walks might need to just be put on hold for a minute. He's probably not peeing on walks because he's too anxious about it. I don't usually recommend it because it tends to be promoted by a lot of pack theory wackos but this is a dog who might benefit from a two week shutdown:
https://www.bamabully.org/two-week-shutdown

It sounds like he really needs to be treated like a tiny puppy for a while to decompress and get to know his new life. If he doesn't potty outside (take him out on leash even if you have a yard so you know for sure) he hangs out in his crate with a chew for a bit and then you try again, repeat until he finally goes then have a party and he can have some supervised out of crate time. If he's sneaking off to potty or chew something I suggest tethering him to you when he's loose.

If he's having accidents and chewing things inside it is your fault for not supervising him, not him being sneaky or malicious. He's an awkward teen in a new place with no concept of your rules or routine. It's up to you to keep him from being able to make those mistakes, not correcting him once he's already made him. Changing that thought process will make training so much easier. Management is really key with puppies.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Instant Jellyfish posted:

This is a brand new to you dog, right? Like you got him 3 days ago? Do you know anything about his previous home?
Yup that was day 3. Don't know anything about the previous owner. Big puppy energy, I tire him out and he'll bounce back in an hour.

There's a lot of behavior issues I'm ignoring for now and just focusing on the housetraining. This morning I took him on a walk without letting him outside to pee first, still couldn't coax any pees. I fed him in his crate and kept him crated for 30 minutes. He was yelping/whining the entire time I was in the room reading and pretending to be deaf. As soon as I left the room he quieted down and stayed that way. He didn't learn this behavior from me, but right now I'm focused on the housetraining. Straight from the crate I took him on a longer walk, 3 miles this time. No pees or poops still. All night inside and he still wouldn't do his business around me. 6am-8am he never left my sight. Impressive really.

Big changes in his mood. Tail is still down on walks but the ears are up and he's getting curious. Yesterday he was afraid of cars and today he is very interested in cars and tries to dart towards them, I think he wants to sniff them as they pass. Thankfully I'm in a quiet area with minimal traffic and half a mile to the nearest trailhead.

Also he refuses to drink water when I'm around, similar to his peeing. Even after long walks he just wont touch water until he is left alone. To me that seems unusual and possibly another trait he picked up from the previous owner.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
What if you, IDK, turn your back to him on the walk?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
That's a good idea actually. Perhaps he needs a private potty shed or corner outside?

Sorry about your puppy's potty woes, I've never had to deal with anything remotely like that. It's impossible to say from through the internet and without knowing the previous owner but it sounds like the puppy learned some extremely powerful negative associations with peeing in front of people :(

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

The times you're peeing / eating are the times you're most vulnerable as an animal. Maybe it just needs to build some trust?

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

i'm so proud of iris. there's a pair of jack russells down the street who just hang out in the yard all day yelling at passersby. when she first arrived she was terrified of them (barking dogs really frightened her), but over time she conquered her fears. soon she started demanding that we visit them on walks, even though they just yapped at her and made her agitated. she never barked back but just persisted with the tail wagging and nose sniffing like a normal animal, and has now established a diplomatic relationship to the point where she is no longer barked at and is sometimes welcomed with joy. we can hear them from our house and i believe she's one of the few dogs they don't bark at, so help me

also she met her first french bulldog yesterday and responded with absolute bemusement and alarm

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Took the dog to the vet today. He's had a sneeze that's been getting worse and he's lost 2 lbs in less than a week. He is eating so it's probably dehydration because he isn't drinking water. Vet said the sneezing was either kennel cough or allergies and not worry about it so okay, thanks? :shrug: Dog didn't have anything to chew on during the vet visit and this became a problem because when I wouldn't let him chew on the leash he decided my hand was a chew toy and would start licking my hand and then switch to chewing on it. I'm not sure if this is playbiting or something else but it's been a problem when I'm playing with him as well. Sometimes he'll bite at my hand instead of the chew toy. Ears up, tail wagging so he seems to think this is all part of the game. I think maybe going forward a stern "no" isn't enough and I'll have to pause playing with him and do something else so he understands: bite hand -> playing stops.

This dog has some real trauma about drinking/peeing around people. Based on a friends advice I gave him a small piece of tuna and put another at the bottom of a half-full water bowl. He lapped up all the water to get to the tuna and was looking for more so now I have a way to get him drink water. I think going to the vet spooked him so I'm letting him chill for a bit but I'm going to do another half bowl of water with tuna and then take him out on a walk. Another idea I had was maybe taking him on a walk with another dog so he sees normal behavior going unpunished, but right now he might have kennel cough so that's not an option. At least he's drinking water now, sooner or later I'll get him to pee on a walk. When he does I'm gonna reward him calmly like it's no big deal instead of getting excited.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
5:20 in the morning local time and I'm sitting alone outside the e-vet. New pup, adopted him less than two months ago. He prrrrrrrrobably just ate something he shouldn't have, or licked his paws after running through gross park water, and will be fine with some extra fluids. But he woke me up in the middle of the night puking and making GBS threads everywhere, which is exactly what happened with my last dog*, who turned out to have a liver thing and didn't make it, so I'm not doing great.

Not really looking for advice or anything, just fretting and all I have for comfort are these dumb forums. No one I know is awake so...

*well, second to last I guess. My ex kept the last dog. :(

Edit/update:

Back home, going for follow up xray this afternoon. Anyone have advice for getting vomit out of carpet.

the JJ fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 20, 2022

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

the JJ posted:

5:20 in the morning local time and I'm sitting alone outside the e-vet. New pup, adopted him less than two months ago. He prrrrrrrrobably just ate something he shouldn't have, or licked his paws after running through gross park water, and will be fine with some extra fluids. But he woke me up in the middle of the night puking and making GBS threads everywhere, which is exactly what happened with my last dog*, who turned out to have a liver thing and didn't make it, so I'm not doing great.

Not really looking for advice or anything, just fretting and all I have for comfort are these dumb forums. No one I know is awake so...

*well, second to last I guess. My ex kept the last dog. :(

Edit/update:

Back home, going for follow up xray this afternoon. Anyone have advice for getting vomit out of carpet.

Hope everything turns out with the pup. For vomit it's good to get it up asap so it doesn't stain so that may not be possible after a while. I've had good luck with Resolve carpet cleaners in the past. I found that they'd often leave a little behind since blotting stuff up and soaking it down and blotting it and scrubbing and blotting can only do so much. I had some good luck with after that using baking powder based cleaners that would absorb a lot of whatever was left and pull it out of low pile carpet. Arm and Hammer pet fresh was good for that but I'd kind of shake it right onto the spot and let it sit while it pulled it out, then it could be scooped and vacuumed up. My dog didn't care to avoid it and would sometimes track it around but it's not hard to vacuum up the powder even when it's saturated. If I ever get another dog I'll probably get one of those spot cleaner wet/dry vacuums.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

iris got the loving quail cage open again and ate three birds

does anybody have any suggestions on next steps? i've been trying to get her not to kill the quail when they're out in the yard but she just wasn't getting it, so they've been locked in their cage, but now she's done this. she knows she's in huge trouble, but i'm not sure about where to go from here.

edit: please be assured that the remaining six quail are safe. one of the cages is dog-proof when properly latched; the other, as i found out today, is not.

an egg fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 24, 2022

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
For pee and vomit, enzyme cleaners are what you want. Very difficult to fully remove the material and odor source otherwise. I got a gallon jug of concentrate on Amazon for like $20 (and they recommend undiluted for pee and vomit)

Here is Sailor, a good buoy. Little fella had a two week naughty streak where he was marking on the rugs just for funsies, and we broke him of it by going back to house training basics and using the enzyme cleaner to completely wipe out the pee scent from the rug to where his sensitive doggy nose couldn't detect it.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Ugh, time to make a vet appointment for Pongo and probably shell out for a hefty dental bill! Spotted what I’m 90% sure is a cavity in his upper right canine this evening. Part of the tooth was broken off before we got him so it doesn’t surprise me that a cavity has started to form.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

an egg posted:

iris got the loving quail cage open again and ate three birds

does anybody have any suggestions on next steps? i've been trying to get her not to kill the quail when they're out in the yard but she just wasn't getting it, so they've been locked in their cage, but now she's done this. she knows she's in huge trouble, but i'm not sure about where to go from here.

edit: please be assured that the remaining six quail are safe. one of the cages is dog-proof when properly latched; the other, as i found out today, is not.

She's a baby cattle dog, she shouldn't be allowed off leash anywhere near your quail for quite a while because even if you think she knows she's in trouble she's probably going to find it fun enough to do it again. The best way to start is with management to prevent her from even going near the quail. Personally I use the belt and suspenders approach and make sure my small edible friends are behind two barriers all the time, even though my dogs are mostly trained to leave them alone at this point.

I used the game "ItsYerChoice" to teach my murderbeasts to not murder my rabbits and guinea pigs over the years. It's all about teaching self-control and having the dog make good choices. It's going to be a while before you can transfer the game onto something as high value and exciting as quail but you can absolutely get there. You can also reward like crazy for a look and dismiss, just get her on a leash near the quail pen and as soon as she looks away do something super fun like throw a ball or do some tug. Soon enough she'll figure out the game and you won't even be able to trick her into looking at the quail.
http://www.topsailpwds.com/uploads/7/9/9/5/79954766/iycsummitiyctrainingguide-.pdf

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Brisket has discovered Bunnies frequent his yard. I'm tempted to let him chase a few and learn he he's not fast enough to catch them but his uncle (a terrier mix) had a phase where he dug up a warren and beheaded them all. But also the only way to chase the bunnies out myself is to make some noise and alert Brisket that there's something to see, or try and open the door and go out myself (which obviously risks him getting in the yard). I don't want the bunnies nesting in the yard so they need to be scared off somehow.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The neighbor yards have the better spots for nesting, I let Pongo out to chase them out of the fenced in back yard all day long. They can slip under the fence no problem so I’m not worried about him getting one. All it takes is opening the door, saying “Pongo, bunny! Search!” and he’s off to find it.

The vet got me in this morning to look at pongo’s teeth…and referred me to a dental specialist for root canal evaluation. :negative: He is only around four years old so I would rather not yank two of his canines if I can help if.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 25, 2022

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

She's a baby cattle dog, she shouldn't be allowed off leash anywhere near your quail for quite a while because even if you think she knows she's in trouble she's probably going to find it fun enough to do it again. The best way to start is with management to prevent her from even going near the quail. Personally I use the belt and suspenders approach and make sure my small edible friends are behind two barriers all the time, even though my dogs are mostly trained to leave them alone at this point.

I used the game "ItsYerChoice" to teach my murderbeasts to not murder my rabbits and guinea pigs over the years. It's all about teaching self-control and having the dog make good choices. It's going to be a while before you can transfer the game onto something as high value and exciting as quail but you can absolutely get there. You can also reward like crazy for a look and dismiss, just get her on a leash near the quail pen and as soon as she looks away do something super fun like throw a ball or do some tug. Soon enough she'll figure out the game and you won't even be able to trick her into looking at the quail.
http://www.topsailpwds.com/uploads/7/9/9/5/79954766/iycsummitiyctrainingguide-.pdf
thank you so much. i've been trying to find a way to make it more fun not to kill the quail, but that's almost impossible. this gives me somewhere to start. she loves games, she'll learn anything as long as it's fun - her recall is amazing because she finds it delightful to come zooming back like a cannonball - but if it's not fun she is a stubborn devil of a thing.

this situation was particularly tragic because she'd been good about not terrorising the quail in the cage for a few days (i'd given up on letting them out of the cage in her presence, it just was not going to happen), so i left her outside unattended for longer than i otherwise would have. normally i check on her every ten minutes or so, but this time she was alone for about half an hour. i think she had the latch open pretty much immediately and got straight to work. it was awful. i started out totally complacent on this because my last dog (a terrier) taught himself to ignore the quail and i thought it was going to be easy to convince this one to do the same, but what i hadn't taken into account was that my last dog was ancient.

after the catastrophe she slept all afternoon, and i have never seen a more contented and satisfied creature in my life

an egg fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 7, 2023

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
I got a puppy last month after about 20 years of not having a pet because of my living situation not allowing it. It took me a while to find her because my roommate is picky and didn't want a dog that sheds a bunch, which I understand, and I wanted a small dog because I'm not a big dog person. I found her at a rescue that takes in pregnant dogs and then adopts out the puppies after they've been neutered so they don't have to keep getting more pregnant rescues. Her name is Gidget and the mom was Jack Russel/Chihuahua and the rescue was pretty sure her dad was a Maltese/Schnauzer.

She has the loving coolest ice blue eyes and is just a giant ball of energy.

I took her to get her last round of shots earlier so when we got home she was finally allowed to see the outside world, so I took her for a walk to the park and she absolutely loved touching new grass and smelling the new things.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

A year or 2 ago, my dog who is now ~8.5 yrs started developing random small bumps on her body. One on he neck, one on her leg... Maybe one other where I'm blanking on the location.
I mentioned it to the Vet and they were like, "Well if they don't get bigger it's most likely nothing" and haven't really thought about it since.

But just recently, within the last week or 2, a bump has now appeared around her eye:

I've already got an appointment on the books for next Thursday so I'm just going to wait to see what the vet says then, but has anyone had something like this happen with their dog? :( I'm definitely more concerned about this one, seems big IMO. The other 2, if you didn't know where to find them you might not even notice them.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

My senior dog started getting random lumps and bumps and skin tags and warts about that age. Always a good idea to get new stuff checked out, especially around eyes, but a lot of them are just unremarkable old dog lumps. He's 14.5 now and just keeps getting lumpier but none of them have been anything serious.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Lepto vaccine: our rescue gave a pretty emphatic note in our new pups packet that recommended no to lepto because of increased risk of reaction. Our first vet appointment vet said it is true but the formulation has gotten a lot better compared to 10 years ago. Waffled back and forth but skipped the lepto for now.

We have final dappv booster in a month and I can change my mind then I'm guessing. So what is the goon opinion here?

Photo tax. This is Gavin. About 6 months old. Got him 5 days ago.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I live on a farm and my dogs drink out of puddles/eat wildlife a lot so I’ve always chosen to do the lepto vaccine. None of my three have ever had a reaction and I feel better knowing they’re protected.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Whatll cause a dog to intermittently piss blood. Like once a year so far

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
There's a whole lot of possibilities, from "they ate something funny" to kidney disease to cancer. If it recurs, even once a year, you'll probably want a vet to check it out next time it happens.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Last year he peed blood for about half a day. This time its running clear after getting him water on the walk. I'll harvest the piss later hoping whatever is building up

It's not like a drop, it's crimson to black. Last year was a uti from the panel but males should not really get those

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Hi all. Say hello to Teddy the 9-week-old pyredoodle. After a stressful four-hour drive home he’s been a perfect angel, which I expect to last exactly for the rest of today since he’s tired and anxious and no longer.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Love that coloring. Is he a standard or a mini? Expected weight?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
That little guy is adoreable.
I hope you used a very small poodle.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Start working on grooming now and invest in a forced air dryer. Someone I know produced two litters of these without warning the new owners about their grooming requirements and they were all matted to hell by 6 months. One took almost 4 hours of work from a groomer the first time and now has to go in every 2-3 weeks for at least a bath and brush out. I can't even imagine how much she's paying for grooms on a 120+ lb doodle.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

AlexDeGruven posted:

Love that coloring. Is he a standard or a mini? Expected weight?

Standard. Supposedly he’ll get to around 110-120. Mom’s the Pyrenees and is the sweetest dog so we’re hoping the apple didn’t fall too far. For coloring, his was a litter of 10 and eight were brown/tan with only two black and white.

Start working on grooming now and invest in a forced air dryer. Someone I know produced two litters of these without warning the new owners about their grooming requirements and they were all matted to hell by 6 months. One took almost 4 hours of work from a groomer the first time and now has to go in every 2-3 weeks for at least a bath and brush out. I can't even imagine how much she's paying for grooms on a 120+ lb doodle.

Thanks for the warning. The breeder did say to start grooming soon, ramping it up from small trims to full grooming so he gets used to it.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

My dog had her puppies!! Nine of them! Can't share pics until they're six weeks old but they're all healthy and she's being a good mother :)

She was five days early and had three of them on my birthday. Very good dog.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Metis of the Hallway posted:

My dog had her puppies!! Nine of them! Can't share pics until they're six weeks old but they're all healthy and she's being a good mother :)

She was five days early and had three of them on my birthday. Very good dog.

How come? Are they just too ugly until then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

They belong to a service dog organisation and that's their sharing policy.