Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

The (Northern) Irish republican party wants to flee the UK to reunify with the Republic of Ireland, you say? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Normanjam671/status/1558372791300284416?t=CVaMqQ-aCZ4yKlsR8QXKuw&s=19
https://twitter.com/__mike91/status/1558871325577551875?t=gmwXsUMlZt4VrSpNfRa5YQ&s=19

Jose has issued a correction as of 07:37 on Aug 15, 2022

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1559073310662598656?t=v0iIj_tKE4Sm_tZfPEt5Eg&s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

loving useless

https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1559068016062746624?t=jJ-tpHX2i6bE-vxVwK9NrQ&s=19

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
But what if you just spend no money on compensating shareholders

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

1 secret hack to fight inflation, parasitic rent seekers hate this

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Whole country is melting down

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1558875881740853253?t=Bz6MnnvPkGzwkPE0XZkrpQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/TBonzalez1/status/1559079867953872896?t=i_Ey-vIdjAgRedyURBIoUA&s=19

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Sickos.jpg (but with the nagging fear that the violent reaction of the public will cause state to double down on fascism rather than the glorious communist revolution that we all crave).

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
boris johnson hanging on while the two front runners look more and more stupid is a genius move. he may actually survive this

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I think and hope they can get another year out of it with bandaids. if Keith is calling for it the energy crisis must be scorching the polls, and like covid the conservative party will cave for a bit on support.

hope I see some civil disobedience on payment before I go tho, love to see another poll tax

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol tv judges are going on and saying they should be nationalised

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1559052562808160256?s=20&t=7UolAEvsT3dqJCZdOR2u2Q

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

crepeface posted:

boris johnson hanging on while the two front runners look more and more stupid is a genius move. he may actually survive this

This feels like a reference I don't get

Also picturing Yakuza boss titles

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

related to this pheasant shooting (they're not native birds) is the main reason snakes in the UK are going extinct

https://twitter.com/NeilMackay/status/1558721914042044417?s=20&t=7UolAEvsT3dqJCZdOR2u2Q

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

some good news though

https://twitter.com/pav_akhtar/status/1558903022087979012?s=20&t=7UolAEvsT3dqJCZdOR2u2Q

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't it just a pun based on the dessert and BoJo being from Eton?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Ghost Leviathan posted:

an "eton mess" is a dessert, i think it's a kind of trifle made with fruit and cake. you see it on his head. eton is also where the super posh ultrarich people including bojo go to school.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

oh good

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1559087754188922882?s=20&t=7UolAEvsT3dqJCZdOR2u2Q

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Isn't it just a pun based on the dessert and BoJo being from Eton?

The formatting looks like a reference to something I mean

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Boris gonna crush the strikes with the army and decide to stay after all

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Ghost Leviathan posted:

jojo's bizarre adventure. here's trump

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I suspected there was something I was missing, so I'm glad to see we both got an answer.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Anyone who respects Jorp can immediately be written off as a dunce because everything he says or writes is obvious gibberish

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

CoolCab posted:

an "eton mess" is a dessert, i think it's a kind of trifle made with fruit and cake. you see it on his head. eton is also where the super posh ultrarich people including bojo go to school.

It’s chunks of meringue, raspberries, strawberries and whipped cream all combined together.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

CoolCab posted:

I think and hope they can get another year out of it with bandaids. if Keith is calling for it the energy crisis must be scorching the polls, and like covid the conservative party will cave for a bit on support.

hope I see some civil disobedience on payment before I go tho, love to see another poll tax

the tories will do something in oct to try to get that new leader bounce but it'll be at the last possible minute, disorganised and cost 10x what it could have for less effect, i'm guessing a means-tested/tiered price cap freeze

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
It's just a pavlova smashed to bits, it got its name because someone dropped a pavlova and scooped up the bits into a bowl and decided to serve it anyway.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Camrath posted:

It’s chunks of meringue, raspberries, strawberries and whipped cream all combined together.

i used it as the 『 s t a n d n a m e』because it accurately describes bojo's hair, fancy private school boys, the tories and the UK in general

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

An "eton mess" is when you eat your wifes lovers cum out of her pussy.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i thought it was out of a pig's head

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
david cameron did not cum in the dead pig's head.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Biplane posted:

An "eton mess" is when you eat your wifes lovers cum out of her pussy.

I just pulled a face I've never pulled before and now I've hurt a muscle in my jaw

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
well, that's why you practice bud

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

hmm. i wonder where the money goes if you dont nationalize them. oh well,

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/alanferrier/status/1559136056305483776?t=eu3n0k1ruaWuKI9q3XlvQQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/dpcarrington/status/1559139910665342978?t=jITxpcFQLUwLR7Yk4XYIxA&s=19

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

an eton mess is just whip cream and fruit (the meringue wasnt even in the original version), like you would get anywhere in the western world since the 16th century, but like everything else the english are convinced it's a particular thing they invented bc their incest lords all had it at the same lunchroom as children. they probably call farts "eton trumpets"

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Microplastics posted:

I just pulled a face I've never pulled before and now I've hurt a muscle in my jaw

Don't eat so fast next time

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Wow, how unexpected. The glorious efficiency of the free market fucks it once again. Or rather efficiently does as expected and sacrifices quality in favour of extract a penny more in profit.

The honest truth is the plumbing infrastructure in the UK is what, 150 years old? A period in which the population has risen by about 300%. It needs replaced on a massive scale and no private company will do that so ⅓ of English water will just vanish as leaks despite the country getting dryer and dryer. And the state won't do it because hell, when was the last time this country managed a huge infrastructure project like this successfully?

As for shooting season, 2019 an absolutely massive super yacht pulled up in the Moray Firth for months, belonging to some Russian business tycoon. It was too big to pass under the Kessock Bridge to actually anchor closer to his private game estate but not to worry, it had both a smaller yacht and a helicopter he could use.

Fortunately he hasn't been able to use the estate since because of first Covid & now the Ukraine war, so he spent upwards of £6m on a piece of land to shoot pheasants & stalk deer and has only been able to do it once. A small amusement in a grotesque situation.

Of course, it's not just the Russians. Middle Eastern princes, David Cameron's father-in-law owns about ⅕ of Jura IIRC, members of the Lords, the cunts who own Stagecoach, they all have massive estates they use for shooting. Awful pricks

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Breakfast All Day posted:

an eton mess is just whip cream and fruit (the meringue wasnt even in the original version), like you would get anywhere in the western world since the 16th century, but like everything else the english are convinced it's a particular thing they invented bc their incest lords all had it at the same lunchroom as children. they probably call farts "eton trumpets"

Thanks for setting the record straight

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/chealy72/status/1559131848575537152

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

forkboy84 posted:

Wow, how unexpected. The glorious efficiency of the free market fucks it once again. Or rather efficiently does as expected and sacrifices quality in favour of extract a penny more in profit.

The honest truth is the plumbing infrastructure in the UK is what, 150 years old? A period in which the population has risen by about 300%. It needs replaced on a massive scale and no private company will do that so ⅓ of English water will just vanish as leaks despite the country getting dryer and dryer. And the state won't do it because hell, when was the last time this country managed a huge infrastructure project like this successfully?

As for shooting season, 2019 an absolutely massive super yacht pulled up in the Moray Firth for months, belonging to some Russian business tycoon. It was too big to pass under the Kessock Bridge to actually anchor closer to his private game estate but not to worry, it had both a smaller yacht and a helicopter he could use.

Fortunately he hasn't been able to use the estate since because of first Covid & now the Ukraine war, so he spent upwards of £6m on a piece of land to shoot pheasants & stalk deer and has only been able to do it once. A small amusement in a grotesque situation.

Of course, it's not just the Russians. Middle Eastern princes, David Cameron's father-in-law owns about ⅕ of Jura IIRC, members of the Lords, the cunts who own Stagecoach, they all have massive estates they use for shooting. Awful pricks

those evil russians and those middle easten princes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

crepeface posted:

those evil russians and those middle easten princes

Yes, that's I'm saying, the problem is foreigners owning Scottish land, not good Brits, which is why I mentioned Ann Gloag, born in Perth (co-owner of Stagecoach) who owns Beaufort Castle and the 4th Viscount Astor who owns a large part of the island of Jura and that's without mentioning the many other Lords who own part massive chunks of the country like the Duke of Buccleuch, Duke of Atholl, Duke of Hamilton, Duke of Argyll & far too many others to mention. And that's without touching on land owned by the royals like Balmoral Castle.

The problem is oligarchs regardless of where they are from, I merely mentioned the Russian specifically because that yacht was by far the most conspicuous example that I've personally encountered. Sucks when you look out the window every day before working out it you've enough food in the cupboard for the rest of the month to make lunch or if you gotta go without and you see some oval office with a yacht big enough to have a helicopter on board. Most of these estates are well off the beaten track so you can easily forget how loving big they are