Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Chill la Chill posted:

I want a deckbuilder+ that lets you build your deck to affect an area like in el grande. Substitute the known values of cards with some sort of deckbuilding that lets you alter the values in the deck as well as potential effects, so it would combine the bid, internal movement from province to court, and any side effects from the power cards all in one. Which I assume would come from playing your hand of cards.

Communal market with diverging tech coming from player choices, of course. None of that market row.

Tyrants of the Underdark is kinda like this? It's okay. You use actions to place figures in spaces in cities on the board, and controlling them gives you whatever the purchasing currency is. The area control is not super interesting, but it is there. I think its most clever mechanic is making some cards worth a different amount of points and when trashed (called Promoted) so trashing a high value card might be the right call. And, yeah, it's a market row deckbuilder.

I would play it over Thunderstone, but probably not much else. A new edition/version happened in 2021, but I have no idea if or how it's different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
What's the alternative to market row? Stacks of single cards a la Dominion?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

silvergoose posted:

I treat "play cards and a special card to pick up all your cards" as a very different mechanism than deck building, myself

Same, just because the actions are card shaped doesn't make it a card game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

CitizenKeen posted:

What's the alternative to market row? Stacks of single cards a la Dominion?
Free markets like Dominion are my favourite way, but some games also use waterfall markets which are kind of interesting since you have control of what becomes available. I think Valley of the King does this. There’s also increasing cost market rows like you get in the Pax games, where the longer a card is in the market, the cheaper it gets.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Jedit posted:

Good news, there's a Slay the Spire boardgame coming next year. I've playtested it, it's very Spire.

I wonder how that adaptation works.

A lot of my favorite video games make me think "this could totally be a board game, but it would require a bunch of really tedious rules-minding and bookkeeping". I thought the same about Slay The Spire, especially with the mechanics that temporarily add cards, monster pattern behavior, and cards that trigger based on number of cards played. None of those are unsolvable but even within the app some turns already take a couple minutes to play out and I have no desire to run the math myself on a single player game.

FulsomFrank posted:

Valley of the Kings is really good though (kills me that my friend who has played a bajillion games of that piece of poo poo DC Deckbuilder with his wife bought the overproduced AEG reprint and is selling it because they'd rather play DC). And Super Motherload doesn't get nearly enough credit for being a fantastic version of a deckbuilder with a board state.

I really love the premium edition reprint. It does so many things right:
Tarot sized cards with expanded artwork, included card sleeves (with plenty of spares for wear and splits), good insert for organization and keeping sets sorted, added support for two extra players (not recommended), new Pharaoh card mechanic, and some fun uniques to add to the mix.

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 15, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Imperium blends seeded market row (by category) with seeded (by stages of your civ) asymmetric decks for a lot of innovation in what is still a pure deck builder.

Undaunted is area control/tactical battle but still 90% deck building mechanics (with preset decks and markers for the scenario)

And for pure area control+deck building you want Hyperborea. It’s a bag building but still what you want.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Puzzle Strike was one of the best Dominion-likes mainly because Sirlin stole the core of the game unchanged and then bolted on some interesting stuff. Of course it comes as chips instead of cards, and the chip layout was pretty much stolen from a BGG post, and Sirlin's kind of an egomaniac baby.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

canyoneer posted:

Tarot sized cards with expanded artwork, [...]

You just sold a copy of the premium edition! I have the original release and expansion and they never get to the table because (as I recall) the main card text is on a textured fabric-looking background that destroys my brain. Every time we played I'd say "if these cards were only a little bigger and the text a little clearer..."

...also I'm starting to accept my mortality by wearing my new reading glasses when we play games, so that helps too.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I think it was in some iteration of this thread where someone said you can describe almost every deckbuilder as "like Dominion, but worse because [...]" and I think about that often.

Last weekend I got to see my friend I made the Lost Ruins of Arnak insert for and play a round of it. Going to self-quote to show it off again. This is my second time playing it, and I was 5 points short of a win. The points salad style of game scoring really favors players who have played it multiple times. Seems like you really need to summit the research track if you want any chance at a top score. And yes, setup was very quick. Take out the little boxes, shuffle the cards and tiles, give every player their little box with the starter deck and tokens, distribute the reward tokens on the board randomly, done.

canyoneer posted:

We also explored a different lost city, by spending an afternoon painting the storage boxes I printed for a friend's copy of Lost Ruins of Arnak. I used this guy's models from thingiverse and painted it all in Inland PLA, bone white color on my reliable ol' Prusa mini.
I have only played Arnak one time, but that friend loves it. The storage insert for Arnak is totally nonexistent. CGE should take notes from Stonemaier Games on how to make a decent organizer insert. Hey, even the one included in Codenames is better, but I digress. As a surprise for that friend, I spent a few days printing out all the components. The models the guy provided are fantastic. The game is themed as a mid 20th century Indiana Jones-esque pulp adventure exploration vibe. So naturally, the storage containers should all be wooden crates, and the locations should be crumbling, overgrown ancient architectural marvels evocative of Angkor Wat, Tikal, or Machu Picchu.

We painted the crates with colors matching the tokens or cards that will be housed inside, bold golden text, and hit them all with a brown wash to pop the detail on the wood. The crate lids either lift off (card piles) or slide off (tokens).

Some of the tiles got stored in some ruins! We layered several earth and stone tones onto the walls to add texture, drybrushed some gold on the mosaics, freehanded some overgrown vines, and added some moss to the lower layers and the watercourses.

I consider myself a well-taught but inexperienced novice painter, and my friend had never painted miniatures before. I'm really proud of how they turned out, and now setup and takedown of the game is going to be less than 5 minutes each, rather than the 15 or 20 he is accustomed to. Faster setup means more time actually playing games, which is the only goal in life.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

canyoneer posted:

I think it was in some iteration of this thread where someone said you can describe almost every deckbuilder as "like Dominion, but worse because [...]" and I think about that often.

Last weekend I got to see my friend I made the Lost Ruins of Arnak insert for and play a round of it. Going to self-quote to show it off again. This is my second time playing it, and I was 5 points short of a win. The points salad style of game scoring really favors players who have played it multiple times. Seems like you really need to summit the research track if you want any chance at a top score. And yes, setup was very quick. Take out the little boxes, shuffle the cards and tiles, give every player their little box with the starter deck and tokens, distribute the reward tokens on the board randomly, done.

I like Arnak a fair amount now after HATING it on my first few plays on BGA, but that issue, to me, is the biggest downside of the game. It is a game that prioritizes, more than anything, the research/temple track and that can be a bit off-putting if you come into the game expecting it to be more about exploration and adventure on the expedition side of the board. All of the stuff on the left side of the board is SOLELY to give you resources to convert to pushing up the right side and if you think about the game a different way, you'll suffer for it.

Still think it's fun but it's a solid B game for me, mostly because I don't find the main focus of the game to be centered on what *I* want it to center on. The expansion, of course, doesn't really do anything to change this because it's a pretty core conceit.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

fischtick posted:

You just sold a copy of the premium edition! I have the original release and expansion and they never get to the table because (as I recall) the main card text is on a textured fabric-looking background that destroys my brain. Every time we played I'd say "if these cards were only a little bigger and the text a little clearer..."

...also I'm starting to accept my mortality by wearing my new reading glasses when we play games, so that helps too.

The text might not be that much better.
I took a quick snap of the cards next to each other. They're all sleeved, so catching some glare that makes the colors look more washed out than they should.

The card titles, cost, value, and footers are definitely larger text. Titles are much easier to read in the contrasting font color and all caps typeface. Oddly enough, the main text doesn't appear to be much bigger if at all, but the background has a more even contrast.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

canyoneer posted:

Tarot sized cards with expanded artwork, included card sleeves (with plenty of spares for wear and splits), good insert for organization and keeping sets sorted, added support for two extra players (not recommended), new Pharaoh card mechanic, and some fun uniques to add to the mix.

I love Valley of the Kings and I picked up the Premium edition because I didn't have the original set and it had those new bits in it, and it's a very polished package but I found the tarot-sized cards to be kind of unwieldy to handle all the time, especially when you have to shuffle so much. And the set colours were harder to distinguish in your tomb, but then maybe it depends how you lay it out.

I also ordered a few packs of tarot sleeves along with it but it turned out they included sleeves in the box!

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

canyoneer posted:

The card titles, cost, value, and footers are definitely larger text. Titles are much easier to read in the contrasting font color and all caps typeface. Oddly enough, the main text doesn't appear to be much bigger if at all, but the background has a more even contrast.

Everything other than the color text at the bottom looks like an improvement to me. The main text could have been better, but those dark lines on urn and burial chamber background just seem to trigger something in my brain that makes at-a-glance parsing really, really tough.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

canyoneer posted:

I wonder how that adaptation works.

A lot of my favorite video games make me think "this could totally be a board game, but it would require a bunch of really tedious rules-minding and bookkeeping". I thought the same about Slay The Spire, especially with the mechanics that temporarily add cards, monster pattern behavior, and cards that trigger based on number of cards played. None of those are unsolvable but even within the app some turns already take a couple minutes to play out and I have no desire to run the math myself on a single player game.

It works almost exactly like the computer game, honestly. I have access to the TTS playtest edition and if you want I can hand you an NDA and play a game with you some time.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I think other than Valley of the Kings the best deck builder I can think of is Quest for El Dorado, although it’s arguably not a “pure” deck builder. It’s far from multiplayer solitaire, the card market is a good mix of fixed and player chosen and the race on the map being built around blocking and efficiency mirrors the deck building dynamics really well. It’s super accessible and less experienced boardgamers will grok things like the benefits of slimming down your deck way faster than in something like Dominion. There aren’t always obvious card choices and all of them are relevant and useful, there aren’t bad choices.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Tekopo posted:

Free markets like Dominion are my favourite way, but some games also use waterfall markets which are kind of interesting since you have control of what becomes available. I think Valley of the King does this. There’s also increasing cost market rows like you get in the Pax games, where the longer a card is in the market, the cheaper it gets.

Yeah. VotK makes market manipulation an actual part of the game rather than just being a bunch of cards in the centre of the table. Every turn you make a decision about how the market changes and several cards have abilities that interact with the market.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

And to further emphasize the goodness of it, a lot of those market manipulation cards are your starting deck. The game starts you off running. The thing that I like most about Valley of the Kings is the deck-thinning aspect. Deck thinning is a good thing to do in just about any deckbuilder, but in VotK trashed cards are how you score, and VotK is the only deckbuilder I'm aware of that lets you trash a card for free every. single. turn. It's entirely possible to end the game with only the cards in your hand.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Gloomhaven is the best deck/dicebuilder.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Tekopo posted:

Can we talk deckbuilding guilty pleasures as well? Cause I loved me some of the original Legendary Encounters with the Aliens franchise, it was cool going through the films and I’ll let a lot of things slide if the primary mode of play is Co-op

I love the Aliens one. I was lucky enough to buy it just before it went out of print. You can easily mix and match your characters and objectives from all the movies so you can have crazy stuff like having all 4 Ripleys from each movie in one game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What other deckbuilding games do what Aeon's End does where you don't shuffle your deck?

I doubt Aeon's End was somehow the first deckbuilder to go "take your discard pile, turn it over, it's your draw pile, do not shuffle."

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

FirstAidKite posted:

What other deckbuilding games do what Aeon's End does where you don't shuffle your deck?

I doubt Aeon's End was somehow the first deckbuilder to go "take your discard pile, turn it over, it's your draw pile, do not shuffle."

Faiyum kind of does that. You play your cards into your discard pile and you may not change the order.

When you decide to get your cards back you only take the top three cards and then you can pay money to get back more.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Joe Chill posted:

I love the Aliens one. I was lucky enough to buy it just before it went out of print. You can easily mix and match your characters and objectives from all the movies so you can have crazy stuff like having all 4 Ripleys from each movie in one game.

You can't mix and match objectives - some of them are dependent on past objectives. It's also advised to only use crew from one movie, although you can certainly see how the Marines would have handled Alien 3. If you have the expansion you also get two extra characters per movie, so you can play speculative scenarios like "what if Ripley had been killed instead of Kane?" and "what if Gorman wasn't an rear end in a top hat?"

An obscure deckbuilder that I played once and found interesting was Edge of Humanity. It's a bit like Arctic Scavengers with story elements, and has the twist that resources are trashed when used. So you can't just hire on any and every character you see; you need to prioritise ones that work with your objectives. I enjoyed it, but because of its story-based nature I don't know how well it would stand up to repeated plays.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Tekopo posted:

Can we talk deckbuilding guilty pleasures as well? Cause I loved me some of the original Legendary Encounters with the Aliens franchise, it was cool going through the films and I’ll let a lot of things slide if the primary mode of play is Co-op

I really enjoyed Paperback, but the only person I know willing to play "scrabble if it was a deckbuilder" with me is my mum, who I am unwilling to play with because she takes 90 years for each of her turns and then crushes me, just like scrabble.

Scion3872
Apr 21, 2010
What's Brass Empire like? A friend's gotten a copy and is very excited about it. Anything to do with the other Brass games?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Scion3872 posted:

What's Brass Empire like? A friend's gotten a copy and is very excited about it. Anything to do with the other Brass games?

It does not appear to have anything to do with Brass or Brass Birmingham.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Time of Crisis does something I like better. You don't shuffle your deck, because every time you draw cards you just choose which you draw. There is still a discard pile which can't be re-used until you've cycled through.

CitizenKeen posted:

What is the state of the art for Deckbuilding + Area Control?

Dunno if I'd call it state of the art, but Time of Crisis does this.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 16, 2022

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs

CitizenKeen posted:

What is the state of the art for Deckbuilding + Area Control?

Northgard is here to rock your world. Or at least it will when it comes to retail.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Jedit posted:

It works almost exactly like the computer game, honestly. I have access to the TTS playtest edition and if you want I can hand you an NDA and play a game with you some time.

How do you handle having 20+ upgrades?

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

FirstAidKite posted:

City of Iron does exactly that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Llyranor posted:

How do you handle having 20+ upgrades?

There are two copies of each card, one basic and one upgraded. Since players play different classes that's all you need. Only colourless cards have to be shared.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Reveilled posted:

I really enjoyed Paperback, but the only person I know willing to play "scrabble if it was a deckbuilder" with me is my mum, who I am unwilling to play with because she takes 90 years for each of her turns and then crushes me, just like scrabble.

Paperback was good in theory but in practice everyone is spelling the same words over and over and over again for half the game. Hardback was better on the word-building and somehow a bit worse for the addition of the genres.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I found the word-building far too easy in Hardback, though that can also be an advantage for some people.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Paperback I wanted to enjoy, but as mentioned, you just end up bouncing between a bloated deck with no cohesion to make decent words, or a a slim deck where you just cycle between making the same 2-3 words. Playing with more than 2 players drags the game long past it's welcome. I ended up ditching it this past spring after not having played it in a few years. I like Hardback more for variety of word-building, and the genres kind of reward not just buying the most valuable letters each time. It is certainly easier to make words in Hardback with the wild mechanic, but at least that lets you actually make words, unlike Paperback where you have turns that you just can't do anything fun or useful at all. That said, I don't own Hardback, I only play it on the app. Every now and then I see it at my store and think about picking it up, then realize that I think it's best relegated to an app where all the less fun parts can be automated, much like Star Realms and Ascension.

Viper915 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 16, 2022

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Jedit posted:

You can't mix and match objectives - some of them are dependent on past objectives. It's also advised to only use crew from one movie, although you can certainly see how the Marines would have handled Alien 3. If you have the expansion you also get two extra characters per movie, so you can play speculative scenarios like "what if Ripley had been killed instead of Kane?" and "what if Gorman wasn't an rear end in a top hat?"

While there are some objectives that depend on others, you can mix and match. People made are apps and spread sheets that help randomize the whole game.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
My favorite thing about VotK is that it avoids the thing that most deckbuilders do, which is have your starting deck be made up of dull low-powered "1 gold", "1 damage", "1 VP" cards (see: Dominion, Star Realms, etc.). All of the cards in your starting deck do something interesting, and the things they do get more useful the longer the game goes on, so you have reasons not to just "get all these low-level junk starter cards out of my hand ASAP" the way most deckbuiders incentivize you.

terebikun
May 27, 2016

Chill la Chill posted:

I want a deckbuilder+ that lets you build your deck to affect an area like in el grande. Substitute the known values of cards with some sort of deckbuilding that lets you alter the values in the deck as well as potential effects, so it would combine the bid, internal movement from province to court, and any side effects from the power cards all in one. Which I assume would come from playing your hand of cards.

Communal market with diverging tech coming from player choices, of course. None of that market row.

City of Remnants? Kinda sorta?

mellifluous
Jun 28, 2007
I'm planning to play two-player Pax Pamir 2E tomorrow. I'm going to read the rulebook and was hoping to watch a playthrough as well. Does anyone have any video recommendations? Any tips to keep in mind for a first playthrough? Neither of us has played before. Thanks!

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

A teaching video with Cole Wehrle is about as good as it gets even if it is HC content. https://youtu.be/V-ji--dxeu4

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
Is the golden age of boardgames over or are we still living in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

dishwasherlove posted:

A teaching video with Cole Wehrle is about as good as it gets even if it is HC content. https://youtu.be/V-ji--dxeu4

Out of curiosity: anything wrong with HC?