Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

quantumfoam posted:

David Brin is a baby boomer generation contrarian rear end in a top hat that has been coddled his entire professional life.
I've read heart of the comet, which I remember nothing about, and glory season.

Glory Season is interesting because it's clearly written to be part of / inspired by the hainish cycle. And it's garbage, the answer to "what if Ursula Le Guin couldn't plot a book and was also poo poo at writing and an all around creepy guy". It's one of the few books I have actively hate read to the end just to make sure I hated it the exact right amount.

My point is that if you put me in charge of eugenics David brin would be on my list of dudes to sterilize and probably organ harvest. Dunno why he's so gung ho to establish a master race when he's one of the last people that would be included.

RDM fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
American Gods by Neil Gaiman - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004YW4L5K/

The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time #1) by Robert Jordan - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002U3CCYM/

A Hat Full of Sky (Discworld #32) by Terry Pratchett - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000R4LGMA/

Blood of Elves (Witcher #1) by Andrzej Sapkowski - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00276HAEY/

Age of Ash (Kithamar #1) by Daniel Abraham - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0976XDNF2/

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

quantumfoam posted:

David Brin is a baby boomer generation contrarian rear end in a top hat that has been coddled his entire professional life.

Should have known to search 770 first. It seems like most of the stories involves in-person stuff, which means you have to dig through various blogs for the details. Here he is getting a drink dumped on him back in 2003:
https://web.archive.org/web/20050219010352/http://www.livejournal.com/users/papersky/35050.html

And more commentary:
http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/002513.html

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

moonmazed posted:

he's like a jigsaw puzzle factory that always uses the same pattern, no matter what's painted on it
elegantly put

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Tezer posted:

"I know interspecies marriages are for business. It’s just, well —
I think it was just because you’re pretty and bright, and I’m
lonely, and … and maybe I’m just a bit in love with you.”
Her heart beat faster. This time it was not the gheer chemicals
responsible. Her tendrils lifted of their own accord..."

Aw, I thought this was sweet. They’re consenting adult humanoids.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

If the concept of the Uplift universe still sounds sort of interesting to anyone after the past page of posts, skip David Brin entirely and go to the original source, which is:

Cordwainer Smith's Underpeople that appear in a bunch of his Instrumentality of Mankind series stories.

Underpeople in the Cordwainer Smith definition are animals physically and mentally uplifted to be near-human in body shape and near-human in intelligence. Underpeople exist as servants for humankind in Smith's universe setting, some Underpeople look really close to humans (the cat-people basically), other Underpeople are essentially slave-labor doing things technology couldn't do perform back when these stories were originally written in the 1950's/1960's.

Just be aware that Cordwainer Smith isn't called the godfather of the furry movement for nothing, and that the origin story of the Instrumentality setting is 175% Nazi white-washing in the best Operation Paperclip sense.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I really like Startide Rising, I think it’s great.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I thought the idea that "creating" intelligent life is what separates the men from the boys on the galactic stage was kind of a novel idea when I first read the uplift books. Humans barely avoiding being conquered, and now being on the low end of the totem pole in a galactic community is clearly something that has influenced a lot of other authors since too. That's also a thing in the aforementioned small angry planet book.

That said, I don't remember if I finished the series. I doubt it, since I don't remember much aside from the general concept, a bunch of political intrigue and a lot of surprise attacks. I think I just got a whole pile of the pocketbooks dropped in my lap at worldcon by a well-meaning elder fan.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i like tales of a Jump space accountant or whatever it's called. there's 4 or 5 of them about a brilliant but martially incompetent accountant/intelligence operative in his barely-holding-on space colony that hasn't been contacted by any jumpships or the greater Empire in generations

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Aw, I thought this was sweet. They’re consenting adult humanoids.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of The Uplift War specifically or Brin's writing in general, but none of my objections are related to that relationship. I just found it amusing that Tezer had Brin at the top of the "aliens don't gently caress" list when one of the main things I remember about his books, a decade+ on, is how horny they are.

More wholesome cross-species romance, please. The gayer the better.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
It doesn't look like Graydon is reopening the email list, so perhaps we should reopen the Commonweal thread?

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

ToxicFrog posted:

I just found it amusing that Tezer had Brin at the top of the "aliens don't gently caress" list when one of the main things I remember about his books, a decade+ on, is how horny they are.

It was a revealing look at a huge reading blind spot I have.

The quote was just to hammer home how wrong I was. Also, I thought the set-up reminded me of junky erotica, business turning to pleasure, etc. etc.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

cultureulterior posted:

It doesn't look like Graydon is reopening the email list, so perhaps we should reopen the Commonweal thread?

We already made a new one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4006013&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

cultureulterior posted:

There's a new thread we've been using.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

ToxicFrog posted:

More wholesome cross-species romance, please. The gayer the better.

I just read How to Get a Girlfriend When You're a Terrifying Monster, because it was written by a New Zealand author, which was wholesome and sweet and quite gay. Very light and fanficcy, in that sort of ineffable way that Winter's Orbit and A Marvelous Light are, but I enjoyed it well enough. I mean, it's a romance novella written by a romance writer, so don't expect high literature, but it was cute and fun.

Edit: A link for people who don't want to order a physical book to be shipped from NZ for some reason

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 16, 2022

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
I get why Vonnegut wouldn't classify himself as an SF writer. Genre stuff is dumb and it inevitably leads to pointless arguing, but here goes anyway. Usually he's doing outright satire and poking fun at genre tropes, while at the same time using them in poignant ways.

His books are always character focused with the SF ideas used as a tool to examine human behavior. I know other SF has always done this, but rarely to the degree Vonnegut did it in his day. He rarely lingers on the coolness or awe factor of the technology, except maybe in Unready to Wear.

He's always placing his humans in ludicrous situations that give him an opportunity to look at some aspect of present society (Vonnegut's era) so that he can allow the story to make didactic points without it feeling like he's ramming his opinions down your throat.

Sometimes this is very offensive and I think it's supposed to be. Look at Welcome to the Monkey House and it's concept of overpopulation and "corrective rape", or the way society falls apart at the end of Player Piano as a response to the SF genre's generally utopian visions of automation, and Harrison Bergeron as a response to social equality. These stories are shocking in ways that most SF never tries to be. Some people might argue that they weren't shocking back in the day, but I don't think that's true. Vonnegut always crosses the line if he can find it. I think he knew exactly what buttons he was pushing, and offending reader sensibilities is what defines his writing.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

cptn_dr posted:

I just read How to Get a Girlfriend When You're a Terrifying Monster, because it was written by a New Zealand author, which was wholesome and sweet and quite gay. Very light and fanficcy, in that sort of ineffable way that Winter's Orbit and A Marvelous Light are, but I enjoyed it well enough. I mean, it's a romance novella written by a romance writer, so don't expect high literature, but it was cute and fun.

Edit: A link for people who don't want to order a physical book to be shipped from NZ for some reason
I'm not a romance reader normally and I really enjoyed this one. It's very fic-y in tone but it's also pretty assured in that? It's light and fun.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Finished up The Warrior by Stephen Aryan, the sequel to The Coward. Was a pretty good, if weird book, but the ending is just so sudden and deus ex machina that it kinda sucks. It really feels like he was working for a big story and got told to make it a two parter a few weeks before the book was due.

Worth a read if you liked The Coward.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 16, 2022

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013

MartingaleJack posted:

I get why Vonnegut wouldn't classify himself as an SF writer. Genre stuff is dumb and it inevitably leads to pointless arguing, but here goes anyway. Usually he's doing outright satire and poking fun at genre tropes, while at the same time using them in poignant ways.

His books are always character focused with the SF ideas used as a tool to examine human behavior. I know other SF has always done this, but rarely to the degree Vonnegut did it in his day. He rarely lingers on the coolness or awe factor of the technology, except maybe in Unready to Wear.

He's always placing his humans in ludicrous situations that give him an opportunity to look at some aspect of present society (Vonnegut's era) so that he can allow the story to make didactic points without it feeling like he's ramming his opinions down your throat.

Sometimes this is very offensive and I think it's supposed to be. Look at Welcome to the Monkey House and it's concept of overpopulation and "corrective rape", or the way society falls apart at the end of Player Piano as a response to the SF genre's generally utopian visions of automation, and Harrison Bergeron as a response to social equality. These stories are shocking in ways that most SF never tries to be. Some people might argue that they weren't shocking back in the day, but I don't think that's true. Vonnegut always crosses the line if he can find it. I think he knew exactly what buttons he was pushing, and offending reader sensibilities is what defines his writing.

I don't know man, this just reads like pointless snobbery. "He'd be a science fiction writer, except the stuff he writes is good, therefore it's not science fiction." "other science fiction does character focused and has always done it, but he did it more, except for the rare times when others also did it to the same degree?" "he doesn't linger on the cool tech, except sometimes, and also maybe in this one book when he does?"

like I mean I get it, I wouldn't want my sharply satirical, transgressive, and pessimistic yet humanist book about how war is horrible, meaningless, and creates trauma that shapes a person's entire life to be lumped in with Isaac Asimov's No Characters Allowed, Technical Solutions Only writing club. but you sure don't see, say, Ursula le Guin feeling like she needs to say "oh no I'm not writing science fiction, that's for peasants, I'm better than that".

To be clear, I like Kurt Vonnegut, but this oh-me?-i'm-not-like-other-girls business is embarrassing.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
The way Ellison puts it, the genre thing is mostly to do with marketing and having his books next to covers with "a woman getting molested by a space monster" at the book store. Yet there is always a tinge smugness about his explanation.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Whale Vomit posted:

The way Ellison puts it, the genre thing is mostly to do with marketing and having his books next to covers with "a woman getting molested by a space monster" at the book store. Yet there is always a tinge smugness about his explanation.

Ellison was an awful human being lmao

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
If you want a really upsetting cross-species romance then Paul Park's Coelestis/Celestis is a good pick.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

sebmojo posted:

Ellison was an awful human being lmao
man if that's a disqualifying factor say goodbye to like half the golden age

am I still not over learning about the delany/nambla thing? who knows

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

man if that's a disqualifying factor say goodbye to like half the golden age

am I still not over learning about the delany/nambla thing? who knows

If you want to kill off any remaining enthusiasm for Delany, google Delany + Hogg.

Harlan Ellison was definitely a terrible human being to the point where only Hollywood producers and self-aggrandizing BigName sci-fi authors that awarded each other with Hugo and Nebula and Locus Awards in an endless cycle would willingly deal with him. On the other hand, Ellison had solid grounds for loathing scifi-fans, as per his Xenogenesis open letter/statement to sci-fi fandom.

In regards to Vonnegut and being unable to classify him as pure sci-fi or pure mainstream fiction re: SFWA, Thomas Pynchon never seemed to engender those same feelings.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

That is exactly one of the sorts of things I'm looking for! Thank you!

To save anyone else the search: the ebook version appears to be amazon-exclusive. :(

fez_machine posted:

If you want a really upsetting cross-species romance then Paul Park's Coelestis/Celestis is a good pick.

"really upsetting" is kind of the opposite of what I'm after, generally.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

One final kick versus David Brin.
I'd like to re-bring up the time back in 1992 where David Brin preemptively melted the hell down over the upcoming release of a Hollywood movie called Cool World because Ralph Bakshi was involved with it.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Recently finished Comeuppance Served Cold by Marion Deeds. It was a fun little magical heist set in Seattle in 1929. I know some folks enjoy heists, and others like different magical settings, so yeah. Give it a shot (probably from the library).

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

quantumfoam posted:

One final kick versus David Brin.
I'd like to re-bring up the time back in 1992 where David Brin preemptively melted the hell down over the upcoming release of a Hollywood movie called Cool World because Ralph Bakshi was involved with it.

If I remember a rant that was included in one of Brin's short story collections, he mostly hated "Wizards". I've never seen it, so I don't remember why. Something about the supposed good guys being nazis? Also Bakshi was kind of notorious for ripping off other people's work without permission.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/prawn_meat/status/1559361445779107840

Ok is anyone going to fess up?

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
drat they found admiral zex's tablet

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I was about to say that's mine.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I've got similar levels of paranormal romance bullshit on mine, but I don't go for the alien abductions so sorry, not mine.

e: I also use cover mode because it's neat to judge books by their covers

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
no chuck

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Sorry, I prefer my alien sex to be consentual from the start, so not mine

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
No Spar? They're not a true SF fan.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

RDM posted:

Glory Season is interesting because it's clearly written to be part of / inspired by the hainish cycle. And it's garbage, the answer to "what if Ursula Le Guin couldn't plot a book and was also poo poo at writing and an all around creepy guy". It's one of the few books I have actively hate read to the end just to make sure I hated it the exact right amount.

The only redeeming part of Glory Season is how mad Brin got when it wasn't nominated for an Otherwise award (then still named Tiptree): http://www.lysator.liu.se/sf_archive/authors/B/Brin,David.mbox

quote:

HSF: Is there any particular reason why you think that feminist
politics had the upper hand in not considering the book for the
JTA?

DB: Are you kidding? The award was designed specifically FOR political
reasons! The only question was -- would it be controlled by
feminists who are true citizens of science fiction... who want to
explore ideas and solve problems ... or would they be
self-righteousness junkies, holding everything and everybody to
ideological litmus tests. I have met very many of the former,
feminists such as Sarah Hrdy and Betty Friedan. Alas, there are
also many of the latter in SF, who cannot bear the idea of a man
writing about such topics... especially a man with liberal views,
but views not on the officially approved list.

I believe it is a topic of critical importance to the future of
the human race,especially given how messy and unjust most
patriarchic societies have been. I believe female attributes ought
to play much bigger roles in our future, although HOW this shall
be done is a crucial question. It is vital to note that not all
matriarchal societies need be conservative/pastoralist, as I
depict in Glory Season. or later... unlike some recent scenarios,
such as women no longer mating with men, but instead with mating
with _horses_ (Motherlines by Suzy McKee Charnas), for here Glory
Season has one advantage over many of the other books written in
this field. It posits a very simple biological mechanism - one so
straightforward that I have very little doubt it WILL be tried,
sooner or later... unlike some recent scenarios, such as women no
longer mating with men, but instead with mating with _horses_, for
heaven's sake! Other men who have written in this area include
Poul Anderson (Virgin Planet) and Brad Strickland. And especially
Phillip Wylie (The Disappearance.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

General Battuta posted:

First grown up scifi book I ever read and it turned me into a life long fan of the genre.

FBH991
Nov 26, 2010

General Battuta posted:

It's certainly a fun book but there's a lot about it that makes me go hmm. Like all the action and stuff is good, and the uplift setting is interesting but I feel like "the universe is ruled by alien forces who are unstoppably superior to us technologically and often in military skill, and have a very different value set than ours, and who are actively conspiring to prevent us from acquiring technology" should really be an occasion for genuine dread rather than the exasperation, which is all that any of the human characters in Uplift ever seem able to feel about the any of the Galactics.

The thing that always feels missing from uplift is the idea that these incredibly powerful alien civilizations might have a point, and that just giving into them and being absorbed into their culture might be on the whole better for us.

day-gas
Dec 16, 2020

FBH991 posted:

It's certainly a fun book but there's a lot about it that makes me go hmm. Like all the action and stuff is good, and the uplift setting is interesting but I feel like "the universe is ruled by alien forces who are unstoppably superior to us technologically and often in military skill, and have a very different value set than ours, and who are actively conspiring to prevent us from acquiring technology" should really be an occasion for genuine dread rather than the exasperation, which is all that any of the human characters in Uplift ever seem able to feel about the any of the Galactics.

The thing that always feels missing from uplift is the idea that these incredibly powerful alien civilizations might have a point, and that just giving into them and being absorbed into their culture might be on the whole better for us.

It's definitely very "humanity gently caress yeah" and "humans are super duper cool and special" which was grating all the way through the three books of the series I read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What are you guys, aliens or something? I mean you are literally welcoming our new insect overlords.