Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, like, they're literally the same websites haha, I'm having a hard time picturing a modern-day website that talks about the devil running Google that wouldn't ALSO be talking about how the Jews run the media and the LGBTQ+ are grooming your kids and whatever else. I can't really picture Angela reading about how the devil runs Google and really getting into it, but then later on down the same page where it says the Jews are using the vaccine to feminize America's military and she's like "no, that's too far, the Jews are good people like anyone else."

I don't really disagree, but to play devil's advocate, since her dream is supposedly to go pro with an Etsy fragrance shop she might be hearing that stuff filtered through the TikTok crystal mom community which does filter out some of the worse stuff. For a time in QAnon there were a lot of meetups were people with vague human trafficking fears would roll up to a QAnon rally and get rolled over by the people screaming about elites sacrificing babies. The whole joke in the third episode was that she was fairly happy to just go along with Nathan's fake reality because she was already just kind of chilling in a weird fake reality without questioning it.

And yeah, to echo other posters, we kind of did the whole Satanic Panic thing on a national scale within my lifetime so...it's a pretty big chunk of the country that you'd be cutting out. Not necessarily wrong to want to do that, but yeah... I was coincidentally just catching up on a podcast series about a big Satanic Panic dude and they mentioned how you'd see plenty of very real, very important cops and figures sincerely stating that 500,000 people were getting killed each year by cults. And that was just an unquestioned reality for a lot of people in the 80s and 90s. You sort of get a little glimpse of how one of those people live (in a very scripted reality) thanks to Rehearsal.

Then again...

Baron von Eevl posted:

I want you to consider that Angela met Robbin, liked him a lot. Heard him ramble incoherently, still decided he was the one for her. Now, do you trust Angela's judgment in raising a child?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Khanstant posted:

no of course not but that's probably also a staggering majority percentage of the population if you got to know about them.

if only qualified sensible rational parents were able to procreate, the would population would still be under a billion. seems unlikely we'd want angela's parents having kids if they had done a rehearsal 40 years ago

We're not talking about forced sterilization here, it's a TV show where the parents signed off on letting Angela "raise" their kid. I'm not sure if I could stand up against Nathan Fielder's highly rehearsed hard sell though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They're letting their kids hang out under a TV crew's supervision for like four hours at a time. They don't know or care what Angela's beliefs are.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I’m pretty sure the real moms are just in a trailer out back watching or something.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Also, as we're seeing "canonically" now, Angela wasn't really pretending to be a mom if Nathan wasn't there filming. So a lot of the time it was probably just the kid playing in a room while a crewman or real/pretend nanny stuck around.

Also they're being paid what was implied to be decent money. It didn't give a number but in the shot of Nathan's flowchart it said something about substantial/significant/something compensation.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 16, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its funny like comparing this to NFY when it comes to the parents.

like i wouldn't bat an eye to parents who had their kids on this show, and like you even see in the call that nathan presents it as a sorta experiment thing. meanwhile on NFY you had the parents of the kid in the soundproof box while there was an orgy going on outside...

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Henchman of Santa posted:

They're letting their kids hang out under a TV crew's supervision for like four hours at a time. They don't know or care what Angela's beliefs are.

hell, more credentialed than our daycare workers and they get paid?!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I don't really disagree, but to play devil's advocate, since her dream is supposedly to go pro with an Etsy fragrance shop she might be hearing that stuff filtered through the TikTok crystal mom community which does filter out some of the worse stuff. For a time in QAnon there were a lot of meetups were people with vague human trafficking fears would roll up to a QAnon rally and get rolled over by the people screaming about elites sacrificing babies. The whole joke in the third episode was that she was fairly happy to just go along with Nathan's fake reality because she was already just kind of chilling in a weird fake reality without questioning it.

And yeah, to echo other posters, we kind of did the whole Satanic Panic thing on a national scale within my lifetime so...it's a pretty big chunk of the country that you'd be cutting out. Not necessarily wrong to want to do that, but yeah... I was coincidentally just catching up on a podcast series about a big Satanic Panic dude and they mentioned how you'd see plenty of very real, very important cops and figures sincerely stating that 500,000 people were getting killed each year by cults. And that was just an unquestioned reality for a lot of people in the 80s and 90s. You sort of get a little glimpse of how one of those people live (in a very scripted reality) thanks to Rehearsal.

Then again...

Worth noting that the Tik Tok crystal moms were the biggest vector for spreading that Wayfair child trafficking rumor - someone upthread called it "pastel Qanon" and yeah that's pretty much a perfect description.

As for whether people would let her around their kids, I would point this thread to the Claw of Shame episode where he goes to explain what's happening to the parents and reassures them that their faces will be blurred so that nobody recognizes them and wonders why they were signing up to potentially expose their children to a grown man's dick for a television credit.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Great show, great episode

I lost it at "Nathan has a problem with lying"

Lol

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Worth noting that the Tik Tok crystal moms were the biggest vector for spreading that Wayfair child trafficking rumor - someone upthread called it "pastel Qanon" and yeah that's pretty much a perfect description.

As for whether people would let her around their kids, I would point this thread to the Claw of Shame episode where he goes to explain what's happening to the parents and reassures them that their faces will be blurred so that nobody recognizes them and wonders why they were signing up to potentially expose their children to a grown man's dick for a television credit.

Fielder has said there were precautions in place so the kids wouldn't be flashed even if he failed to get out of the handcuffs, which the parents must've known about. The gag was that he would be a sex offender if he failed, but nobody on the show was going to risk actually sexually assaulting the kids if he can't pick that lock.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Henchman of Santa posted:

They're not supervising them very well they keep falling into showers.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

A MIRACLE posted:

This show is freakin amazing dude lmao

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Phenotype posted:

I think he meant "vanishingly small" just because it's a very small number -- there aren't a lot of Jews in the first place, and half of them are the older generation that typically listens to a speech like Miriam's while nodding along and smiling. That bit would be completely lost on my mom, for instance.

Honestly, I thought Angela came out looking pretty good compared to Miriam. I just did a rewatch while I'm working, and she really doesn't say anything very offensive during that conversation. She's clear that Jesus is the most important thing in her life and she won't teach her child Jesus isn't the Messiah, and that was pretty much it, no real value judgements other than obviously she thinks it's wrong not to believe in Jesus. And then Miriam immediately throws her hands in the air and starts calling her an antisemite. I think it was too fast for them to have spliced anything together there; it felt like Miriam, who seemed so confident on the way over, just abruptly gave up. Couple that with her "well they told the Palestinians they would be bombing them" rant right after, and I've never seen my opinion of anyone collapse so hard so quickly.

Again, I'm not a fan of Angela's -- there may have been more bigoted stuff that came out of her mouth in the cuts we didn't see, but she came out of this show smelling like roses compared to what they could have done. I don't think it would have taken much prodding to have turned this show into the story of Crazy Angela, the horrible racist conspiracy nut who should never be allowed to have a child.

Miriam said the "son" asked about them killing Jesus which set off her alarms. If true Angela was definitely hiding the hard poo poo

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

My head just starts spinning whenever I think about the meanings of this show for more than a few seconds

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m suddenly remembering the mac demarco show I went to that had Nathan playing a tambourine or something awkwardly on stage, with no introduction at all for exactly one song before he shuffled away

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

A MIRACLE posted:

I’m suddenly remembering the mac demarco show I went to that had Nathan playing a tambourine or something awkwardly on stage, with no introduction at all for exactly one song before he shuffled away

Iirc he had a guitar but was on stage looking at his phone and not playing the guitar at all lol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

drat maybe he should have

rehearsed

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

Feels kind of cowardly for him not to bust out a blues smoke detector for a solo.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Anyone make a good Nate's Lizard Lounge shirt yet?

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
The Rehearsal: We're not talking about forced sterilization here, it's a TV show

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, I've been saying all along that they're walking a very fine line with Angela. In the year 2022, I just can't imagine this woman getting invested in all these satanic conspiracy theories but somehow not ALSO getting invested in all the bigoted Christo-fascism spread by the very websites that tell you about the satanic conspiracies. I think Nathan accepted a lot of it at face value because if he pushed back too hard, then the show ends up being another one of those Daily Show "ask simple questions of Trump rallygoers and laugh at their answers" videos. I'm not surprised that she was okay with her portrayal because he mostly steered clear of directly challenging her.

i would bet you actual money that there is footage of her talking to Nathan about Q and politics and he wisely left it out of the show

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

precision posted:

i would bet you actual money that there is footage of her talking to Nathan about Q and politics and he wisely left it out of the show

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

precision posted:

Very convenient to bet something that can’t be proven

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Echoing the other comments that the show is interesting but the other rehearsals were a lot more interesting and fun. I can imagine it would be extremely surreal and easy to lose yourself in a replica of a bar that you’re familiar with but creating an entire imaginary life doesn’t quite resonate the same way. There were never really any stakes for Angela. Having kids was something she wasn’t committed to one way or another. The rehearsals for Kor and the gold digger guy were things that were real in their lives that they needed to do.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i dunno i kinda think Angela is one of the most compellingly crazy people he's worked with, and at this point i kinda wish the whole season had just been her rehearsel

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think they should actually get married so we can see a real reality show about them raising kids together. If Nathan isn't ready to embrace the role quite that far, and Angela isn't willing to bend on her beliefs, she can marry Robbin instead.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Nathan should really commit to his character and have season 2 actually be run by Angela

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Angela is a crazy person and the version of her we saw is funny and interesting but I guarantee the real her is a lot less funny. Robbin is hilarious but only because he lives on the other side of the country and is unlikely to crash his Scion TC into me at 100mph.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I think they should actually get married so we can see a real reality show about them raising kids together. If Nathan isn't ready to embrace the role quite that far, and Angela isn't willing to bend on her beliefs, she can marry Robbin instead.

nathan tradwife x angela conspiracy wife

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Nagging feeling this entire show is one big set up as the rehearsal to an actual event and Kor/Angela are actors too.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

holefoods posted:

Echoing the other comments that the show is interesting but the other rehearsals were a lot more interesting and fun. I can imagine it would be extremely surreal and easy to lose yourself in a replica of a bar that you’re familiar with but creating an entire imaginary life doesn’t quite resonate the same way. There were never really any stakes for Angela. Having kids was something she wasn’t committed to one way or another. The rehearsals for Kor and the gold digger guy were things that were real in their lives that they needed to do.

I feel like sentiment is going to turn a lot on whether he lands the finale. It looks like it'll be interesting, but with how much the fake family life was built up it'll need to have a good ending. I think he can pull it off.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I’m also curious to see how the fake family ties into what was shown in the season preview and the finale where Nathan is a kid with a blonde wig for some reason??

I think it’s tough to say if this would be better like NFY where each episode was relatively self-contained vs the broader meta where he’s the one mostly doing the rehearsing. I definitely would’ve loved to see more of that weaved in like were in the first few episodes and maybe have them run 45-60 min to also do the parts that revolve around him.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

sticksy posted:

I’m also curious to see how the fake family ties into what was shown in the season preview and the finale where Nathan is a kid with a blonde wig for some reason??

Nathan rehearsing as Adam with fake Nathan and fake Angela raising him in the house and fully commiting to the garden, Etsy shop, and acting studio, but real Nathan taking nights off to drink in the fake bar in his age appropriate clothes. reveal: fake Nathan is serving him

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

sticksy posted:

that's not Nathan -- Nathan is being terrified and chased around by his loving albeit horrifying son in the trailer

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Doltos posted:

Nagging feeling this entire show is one big set up as the rehearsal to an actual event and Kor/Angela are actors too.

Variety: "Actress who plays ANgela swears she's not anti-semitic at all"

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
saw this one podcast snippet where a guy who interned at abso lutely discussed helping the assistant editors with s4 n4u footage. apparently nathan breaks frequently in cut footage, and will run through scenes dozens of times to get something that he is looking for. there is high intentionality and calculation to nathan's process, and the guy described him as "nigh kubrickian"

also apparently abso lutely has a tradition where they eva "congratulations" at interns on their birthday, making them come down to the main cubical bullpen for cake as everyone leaves their office to stare them down while clapping cannes style at them with blank expressions

atrus50 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 17, 2022

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
An underrated part of the show for me is how all the kids seem to genuinely love Nathan :kimchi:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I do kinda worry what Angela says to them in private

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Nathan using nun-chucks was probably my favorite part of the show so far.

I really have to watch Synecdoche New York again, it's been too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i wonder if Nathan was so committed to his character that he used Thomas' save files on his PS5

because, man. that would be bold