Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Supremezero posted:

The trolley question logic in CSM works as thus

A trolley demon shows up, Chainsaw Man eats it, no more trolley problem.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

is there a trolley demon

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

is there a trolley demon

I presume every mode of transport has an associated demon.

Power gave the Car Devil a huge boost

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Endorph posted:

is there a trolley demon

according to General Motors there was

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Killing the bad guy is definitely the correct call, if he's prepared to play this game then he'll keep killing people as long as he's alive.

Yeah that was my read on the situation. "Well they're hosed, and even if I do save them, other people are gonna get killed instead, so it's better to just kill the root of the problem asap."

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Denji obviously read the screenwriting book Save The Cat.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also in spiderman spiderman has several options to save people quickly and efficiently without having to take his eyes off the enemy for too long, like catching them with webbing, swinging over to them and catching them, etc. chainsaw man's powers are 'being made of chainsaws' and 'screaming'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

also in spiderman spiderman has several options to save people quickly and efficiently without having to take his eyes off the enemy for too long, like catching them with webbing, swinging over to them and catching them, etc. chainsaw man's powers are 'being made of chainsaws' and 'screaming'

To be fair it is implied Chainsaw Man can do the Swing Thing but Denji specced for Shark Riding instead

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair it is implied Chainsaw Man can do the Swing Thing but Denji specced for Shark Riding instead

Denji and Pochita have used the chains like webs a couple times... but getting snared in a chainsaw is not likely to be good for anyone's longterm health.

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I presume every mode of transport has an associated demon.

Power gave the Car Devil a huge boost

The Truck Devil isekais people to hell.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Man I just want to read the next chapter already

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Hamelekim posted:

I don't remember him ever having his arm chainsaws put away while his head was a chainsaw in part 1.

Blockhouse posted:

Denji actively saved people every chance he got in part 1

Just started my reread of part 1, and thought it was funny to see these consecutive pages from chapter 8 addressing both of these points. Definitely forgot the the OG bat devil fight also involved attempted distraction via endangered person in car, dealt with in a similar Gordian style:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Hargrimm posted:

Just started my reread of part 1, and thought it was funny to see these consecutive pages from chapter 8 addressing both of these points. Definitely forgot the the OG bat devil fight also involved attempted distraction via endangered person in car, dealt with in a similar Gordian style:

I really do need to reread part 1. that paneling is gorgeous

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hargrimm posted:

Then that guy comes back and complains about Chainsaw Man doing that to him.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Hargrimm posted:

Huh, I guess I should reread part 1 a third time.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

You know who doesn't complain about being saved?

That's right

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

denji trying to save people with his chains like spiderman webs and then realizing the differences between silk and serrated metal chains would be a good bit

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Asa made the right choice, I'm not sure if Denji did though. Cats always land on their feet so basically he saved the one creature who would have been fine on its own. But that cat also has a fuzzy lil face and is probably feels really nice to cuddle so who's to say what's really right and wrong here?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He def made the right choice.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The anchor praised him for saving the cat so obviously it was the right decision.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Six people could not reasonably fit in that car, those old people clearly had a death wish.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Supremezero posted:

The trolley question logic in CSM works as thus

A trolley demon shows up, Chainsaw Man eats it, no more trolley problem.

Chainsaw Man: No more trolley problem

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Then that guy comes back and complains about Chainsaw Man doing that to him.

Then he shows up again at the end to brag about it when Chainsaw Man is famous.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I thought the speech bubble censoring the woman getting her head bitten off at the beginning of the chapter was also great. So much to love in this chapter.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Electric Phantasm posted:

Six people could not reasonably fit in that car, those old people clearly had a death wish.

They were all clowns, so it was fine. Clowns thrive in tiny cars.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Lily Catts posted:

I thought the speech bubble censoring the woman getting her head bitten off at the beginning of the chapter was also great. So much to love in this chapter.

it's honestly a great bit of restraint on Fujimoto's part

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Asa made the right choice, I'm not sure if Denji did though. Cats always land on their feet so basically he saved the one creature who would have been fine on its own. But that cat also has a fuzzy lil face and is probably feels really nice to cuddle so who's to say what's really right and wrong here?

Power liked cats

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Nuebot posted:

Power liked cats

Both happened after he killed the Bat Devil too

Scallop Eyes fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 17, 2022

Bacon Biscuits
Mar 2, 2013

Eggplant Squire posted:

I honestly don't have a sense of what the trolley question logic in the CSM universe is. Life is incredibly cheap and I figure that street preacher's statistics were actually pretty rosey but on the other hand what's the point of killing a devil that just comes back anyway?

Only 7/20 dying to devil attacks seems quite optimistic. Considering how many the Gun recently took out, and how a certain devil transfers damage to the Japanese population, I would think that people in this setting have no expectation of dying of natural causes.

I'm a little surprised we have not yet seen the fallout from the Gun attack on Japan. It seems like that was taken in stride. Did Bill Clinton get impeached for this instead of Monica Lewinsky? I could see that as a TV background gag.

Bacon Biscuits fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 17, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bacon Biscuits posted:

Only 7/20 dying to devil attacks seems quite optimistic. Considering how many the Gun recently took out, and how a certain devil transfers damage to the Japanese population, I would think that people in this setting have no expectation of dying of natural causes.
was the 7/20 statistic specified as just japan, or worldwide? the gun devil gave some countries a pretty light grazing, i think the number for mexico was only a couple hundred, for instance. so combine that with how the gun pieces are mostly in japan, america, and russia, and how most of the big incidents that devils would be interested in seem to be concentrated in those areas, its possible other countries have relatively less devil activity. it feels like it'd be a sort of feedback loop, where countries with the most devil activity would get more scared, which would then attract devils to those areas.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

was the 7/20 statistic specified as just japan, or worldwide? the gun devil gave some countries a pretty light grazing, i think the number for mexico was only a couple hundred, for instance. so combine that with how the gun pieces are mostly in japan, america, and russia, and how most of the big incidents that devils would be interested in seem to be concentrated in those areas, its possible other countries have relatively less devil activity. it feels like it'd be a sort of feedback loop, where countries with the most devil activity would get more scared, which would then attract devils to those areas.

It was specified as Japan. One thing that came up in part 1 was that everything around Denji was the apocalypse 24/7. Usually something like Eternity would be the nastiest thing you'd see for years. For Special Section 4, it didn't even keep the record for a month.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Well the total statistics were out of 20 7 to demons, 1 to suicide, 1 to accident, 1 to murder, 5 to illness and 5 of old age. Which is to say if you take 2 people, one is going to die of unnatural causes. And 1 out of 3 will die to a demon.

Their world is loving brutal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would say the scarier thing is that killing you is one of the less awful things a devil can do to you.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I would say the scarier thing is that killing you is one of the less awful things a devil can do to you.

Well, you'll almost certainly die eventually.

(You can thank Chainsaw Man for that, too. He's a superhero!)

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Asa is Kobeni’s reincarnation

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

goblin week posted:

Asa is Kobeni’s reincarnation

Kobeni would have kicked Bat's rear end and we both know it.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Kobeni also hates herself a lot more than Asa.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Hey now, Asa is just starting out in the brave world of Chainsaw Man. She will get there soon enough.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Uh, is it ever kind of explained why, of all the devils, Chainsaw man has the ability to erase devils by eating them? Seems like a really random power to assign to chainsaws of all things, unless it was stolen from like... a devil of erasure or oblivion or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

McKilligan posted:

Uh, is it ever kind of explained why, of all the devils, Chainsaw man has the ability to erase devils by eating them? Seems like a really random power to assign to chainsaws of all things, unless it was stolen from like... a devil of erasure or oblivion or something.

we see other devils with pretty disconnected powers, like the spider fiend having that weird zipper teleport thing. unless that was a makima thing? but that would also be a weird thing for makima to have.