Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God I need my Akane-banashi fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

Show ha shoten: the preceding duo wasn’t really bad. Just so different it killed the vibe. I do love how the author explains things here in such a way that it makes sense.

I'm really looking forward to what the protagonists' routine will be like (though unfortunately have to wait at least a month to find out).

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Super Smartphone Super Theory: The Smartphone "AI" is actually the mind/soul of whoever the user lost in the past. It's why the smartphones have such different personalities and complex intelligence.

Elusive Samurai: Good as usual, and a samurai in the service of the Ashikaga makes a very, very brave fashion statement. Yusuei Matsui's art game continue to be great, particularly when it comes to ridiculous armor.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
https://www.reddit.com/r/MangaRanking/comments/widlrj/weekly_shonen_jump_ranking_3637_august_8_2022/

Super Smartphone continues to drop, but it still has the cushion of Aliens Area, Doron Dororon, and Earthchild. With the return of Elusive Samurai, we have a full 21 chapters with only 2 one-shots.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I Am Fowl posted:

Super Smartphone Super Theory: The Smartphone "AI" is actually the mind/soul of whoever the user lost in the past. It's why the smartphones have such different personalities and complex intelligence.

Yeah, after the reveal that Moura has a similar backstory to Q with a missing relative that sounds about right especially since it happened in the same time frame.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

This week, we confirmed that another Jump protagonist has two happily married, very much alive parents. That puts us at four, a shocking high water mark.

Congratulations, Bondo.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The little detail in Mashle where Finn's second line appears on his face as he's powering up is such a viscerally cool little tweak.

Silver2195 posted:

Super Smartphone continues to drop, but it still has the cushion of Aliens Area, Doron Dororon, and Earthchild. With the return of Elusive Samurai, we have a full 21 chapters with only 2 one-shots.
Isn't Doron almost done? The last couple chapters are pure speed run to the ending.

Kinda sad there's neat designs and ideas just being bloooooown right through.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm glad Doron is getting an ending, even if it's speedrunning to it. Most other mangas in this situation haven't had the chance lately.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The itasha armor in Elusive Samurai hit harder than any joke I can remember in quite a while.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akane-banashi: Still continues to be immensely compelling, and leaving me wanting more to see what the payoff is going to be like.

I also like seeing how different characters react to the same act, and it's especially striking with Karashi. Because Karashi has a specific belief in what good rakugo should be like (laughter, big reactions, modernity over tradition), he really can't understand why Akane's doing so well - or, rather, his biases and lack of technique prevent him from properly realizing that Akane is doing so well. I guess it makes sense given that Karashi's a dude who's primary engagement with rakguo is image-making (whether to make himself look classier or through victories in rakugo tournaments). His rakugo is custom-made for competitions like these, and his disdain for standard rakugo is probably why he fundamentally has a hard time realizing why Akane's rakugo is so good.

Throughout the whole arc, we've been lead to believe that Jugemu was a restriction that put Akanae at a disadvantage against the rest, because of the audience's over-familiarity with it, but Akane is actually able to leverage that over-familiarity to make her recreation of characters even more vivid and memorable. Akane's really using everything she's learned so far from everyone who's taught her (Kyoji, Koguma, Shiguma, her dad, that guy from the izakaya) for this act. Honestly, it's so good that I personally have slight worries about whether the manga can reach this peak again. Like, this is the sorta point where I could see a movie or anime season end on, that's how good it is.

Though I guess if you flip it around, if the author manages to consistently perform at this level or bring it up even higher, Akane-banashi could be friggin' legendary.

Finally, what is the deal with Shiguma and Issho? Issho seems to hate the hell out of Shiguma (and has disliked him even back in Chapter 1), but Shiguma is still the No. 2 of the Arakawa Clan and one of the pillars who support Issho. Surely the expulsions couldn't be merely because of Issho's dislike of Shiguma, cause there were other dudes who got expelled too.

Elusive Samurai: Great chapter with a ton of weirdos bizarre enough to rival that one bloodthirsty dude from Hoshina's (was that his name?) crew. I wonder if the seemingly-only-sane dude on the team will remain normal or will actually be the craziest among them all. Knowing Matsui, it could go either way.

Mashle: It's okay.

Roboco and Me: A pretty sweet and cute chapter, I thought they were gonna mess with us by not having the dad show up at all and the rest of the chapter was just gonna be Roboco helping Bondo cheer up, but they actually did have Bondo's dad show up, which is a thumbs up from me. Glad to see Shounen Jump addiction is a common trait of the family. Wonder how Bondo's dad keeps up with his SJ fix when he's overseas. I guess that's what the MangaPlus and SJ apps are for! gently caress, they should have fuckin' used that as a selling point for the app! I mean, sure, it wouldn't be a great selling point because the only people who read Roboco in English probably do so through the app anyways. But still.

Ruri Dragon: Ruri Dragon my beloved, I miss you...

Sakamoto Days: I love Deer Head, he's so silly. Also I can't believe fangirl switched oshis so quickly. Excited to see what they do with the new school trio.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Earth Child: ...a...good...chapter? Impossible! :psypop: Reisuke is still an idiot, Mamoru's dilemma and insecurities actually feel believeable and Kareri overcompensating for her own fake memories makes sense.
On the other hand....why are they still working with the people who gave those fake memories again? Just because the boss is sorry?

Witch Watch: I don't know how I feel about this chapter. I was willing to let the 19 year old thing go because the rest of the chapter was fun, but this chapter just doubles down and it feels awkward.

Roboco was sweet.

Doron:

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I'm glad Doron is getting an ending, even if it's speedrunning to it. Most other mangas in this situation haven't had the chance lately.
:hai: I'd say it has a pretty good chance at pulling off a decent if hasty landing.

Super Smartphone: Is very fun actually. I wonder why they want to have a group call.
The theory of dead people powered phone seems very likely. The way the weird orb flew up from the phone. MAybe if you win you get your loved one back or something?

Mashle: I liked it. Thought it was cool. That second line burning and the secondth reveal were very cool. I wonder what he's swapping now. Injuries and magic power or something?

Sakamoto: I love these goofs.

Undead Unluck: While I found the Juiz and Victor backstory interesting I was really hoping to be done with this encounter and go for a loop. I was wondering about the significance of the credit card.

Elusive Samurai: Was hilarious. Stay back or I'll kill this cat!

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

chiasaur11 posted:

This week, we confirmed that another Jump protagonist has two happily married, very much alive parents. That puts us at four, a shocking high water mark.

Congratulations, Bondo.

I've got Blue Box, Super Smartphone, High School Family, Akane-banashi and comedy answer Earthchild. There may be alive parents in some of the others, I don't read all of them.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

See, these two chapters are good stuff. Fight was short given the potential and the setup for the emotional payout was a couple pages of conversation but overall this is decent stuff.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Brought To You By posted:

See, these two chapters are good stuff. Fight was short given the potential and the setup for the emotional payout was a couple pages of conversation but overall this is decent stuff.

Psh! Bloodbending? Next you'll tell me earthbenders can control metal too!

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

What is this from? My interest is definitely piqued...

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

FewtureMD posted:

What is this from? My interest is definitely piqued...

Make the Exorcist fall in love
Satan plans to make Earth's strongest warrior fall by getting his dick wet. Be warned the first chapter has some pretty heavy content and the story kind of bounces around between a romcom and some :black101: fights really quickly. I think the pacing overall is pretty snappy.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
"Make the Exorcist Fall in Love" - Boy groomed to fight demons by the church has to protect a girl, but she's Lilith and is trying(?) to debase him so Satan wins. The Church is 40k levels of at-it but the demons are "humanity as it's most base" assholes (one is literally spouting MAGA points as he's being dragged back to hell) so needs must.

E:F,B

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 11, 2022

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

So I just binged all 16 volumes of that and I want more.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
gently caress Akane-banashi is on break cause Jump is on break.

Life is cruel.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The new chapter of Nier: AutomataHeart Gear is up. Simple recap of the characters and setup but it's also going to jump right into the drama.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The new chapter of Nier: AutomataHeart Gear is up. Simple recap of the characters and setup but it's also going to jump right into the drama.

Happy to see it back. I pretty good warm up chapter.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So apparently "Make the Exorcist Fall In Love" wants everyone to know where they stand on every social issue huh?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Alacron posted:

So apparently "Make the Exorcist Fall In Love" wants everyone to know where they stand on every social issue huh?

It's not even a problem of any individual message, just how loving blunt it is about them. Just having a guy scream "I AM A MAN, A MAN MAN MAN!" in the middle of a fight is not exactly subtle.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1559661079462133760?s=20&t=JXJoYSBVh6aOd8s6iFQwdQ

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Still wondering how much longer the series is going to run, like are they going to go through the entire next cycle all over again?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It could go for years for all we know.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm so behind on manga that I only just now finished the cancelled Red Hood series and I'm sad that it ended so soon. I was enjoying the cops and robbers test and how it ended.

Also the rushed ending was very dumb even if book gun was a very good Enter the Gungeon weapon.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eden’s Zero Season 2 confirmed for next year:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2022/08/16/hiro-mashimas-edens-zero-tv-anime-second-season-to-premiere-in-2023

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Did Sakamoto get announced for an anime yet? Or was that a rumor?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

Rumor. Possibly crossed wires, the newcomer that got an anime announcement was Kaiju 8.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Kingtheninja posted:

I hope not, because I hate it when they have a ton of filler episodes. Although it could be good for that series actually.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hamelekim posted:

I hope not, because I hate it when they have a ton of filler episodes. Although it could be good for that series actually.

Is filler even still a thing with new anime these days? With a few exceptions like Dragon Quest it seems like most recent manga adaptations do things in small season chunks

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Akane-banashi 26: Fantastic. Her subversion of the ending we were expecting with another punchline made me laugh, and Issho's short, pointed comment was filled with meaning. What a great arc. And we still have the prize to claim!

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Akane-banashi: The last couple of chapters have had the tension of a final arc to me so much so that I cannot imagine where it goes from here. Very good!

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
The sports teams in High School Family also failed to get to nationals.

Are there any sports manga where the characters make it to Koshien or other national tournaments?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Fezz posted:

The sports teams in High School Family also failed to get to nationals.

Are there any sports manga where the characters make it to Koshien or other national tournaments?

Eyeshield did I think?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Kuroko's Basketball ends with the protags winning the big tournament.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

in diamond no ace, the protags win the fall tournament and go to the spring koshien. But they didn't go to the summer one, which is usually the "big one".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Super Smartphone: Of course one of the smartphone holders is a vtuber.