Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

TIL the Triangle Shirt company is still in business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

That picture is taken from the report of a righteous fine levied by the fire marshal, right? RIGHT?

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

Am I looking at a steel beam at this point, or is a gluelam or lvl an option? I assume I’m going to have to engage an engineer to get my builder on board and have it all permitted and such, just curious what I might should expect, ballpark-wise, if anyone wants to hazard a semi-educated guess.

Beyond the span table issue already raised, most laminated lumber is not rated for exterior applications. There are some exceptions, I think there is an LVL product now but I've never used it and the last time I needed something like this (2015) I used a Weyerhaeuser parallam plus psl:
https://www.weyerhaeuser.com/woodproducts/engineered-lumber/parallam-psl/parallam-plus-psl/

Talk to your local lumber yard and see what they recommend, if they don't have any ideas ask if they can source weyerhaeuser. It was a special order material back then, even for a yard that sold a lot of weyerhaeuser stuff.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Arrath posted:

That picture is taken from the report of a righteous fine levied by the fire marshal, right? RIGHT?

Looks like Target signage, so my guess is a closed store without an occupancy permit, being sealed up to keep the tweakers from stealing all the copper wiring.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The door is ajar (Leyden)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Arrath posted:

It's probably an abandoned building that's had the doors welded shut to prevent trespass.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

The commercial version of a sheet of plywood that says "If animal trapped call xxx-xxx-xxxx"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

pretty sure I lived in a place like this in Chicago

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
These fuckers buried an above-ground pool and then poured concrete all around it. (Miami by the way)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Doji Sekushi posted:

These fuckers buried an above-ground pool and then poured concrete all around it.

That seems like only marginally less work than doing it right.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Betting it was a spite issue because they couldn't get permits.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I didn't know Gardena made a USB adapter in addition to their HDMI one.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

koshmar posted:

So it's got 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, a spacious kitchen and direct access to a large cave system.

https://twitter.com/zillowgonewild/status/1557394243894886402?s=20&t=J1L527Xp0A3v7cToX8Fkdg

the Tyrannosaur and giant penny are not for sale

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Pro.
Right-click -> save.

That's impressive, and got a genuine LOL out of me.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My newly installed backsplash tiles are cracking. What could be the cause?

I had my kitchen remodeled a few months ago and it turned out great. However, I noticed a small line in one of the tiles above the oven. I checked the rest of the backsplash and the whole thing is full of cracks on both walls in the whole kitchen. Less so on the opposite wall but still.

https://imgur.com/a/SsEAMV1

https://imgur.com/a/9g80ibh

When my contractor was working on the backsplash he mentioned that the walls weren't even close to straight and he had to use up to 2" of Thin-set on parts of the walls to get the backsplash remotely straight. Lining up the cabinets was also a pain in the rear end because of this.

I asked over in r/homeimprovement and someone suggested someone here may have a better idea about what is going on.

Do you think the unevenness of the walls and the amount of mortar is what could have caused the cracking tile? Could it be something else? Lastly, it isn't really noticeable so I am ok leaving it for now unless you think it could lead to problems later.

Thanks for any input!

Thinking of a 2 inch thick glob of thinset and :stonk:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Wouldn’t it really be thickset at that point?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
How are the walls off by 2 inches in such a small amount of space?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Khizan posted:

Wouldn’t it really be thickset at that point?

thiccset

Analog_Kid
Jan 26, 2011

the spirit of the radio

Nitrox posted:

How are the walls off by 2 inches in such a small amount of space?

They’re not.

The entire wall has 1 7/8” of thinset to bring it out far enough, and that single spot has a 1/8” dent that made the total depth 2” :agesilaus:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Analog_Kid posted:

They’re not.

The entire wall has 1 7/8” of thinset to bring it out far enough, and that single spot has a 1/8” dent that made the total depth 2” :agesilaus:

Reported because this post caused me physical pain when I thought about it.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Scroll to this. Laughed. Scrolled past it. Scrolled back. Laughed again. Person in pub looked at me weird. Laughed again.

Absolutely top-tier.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

The Aphasian posted:

a tree fell on it a month after purchase, right during the everything. Took 2 years to fix and cost just shy of $100K

home ownership.txt

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It's the early alpha of Windows 30.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Deteriorata posted:

It's the early alpha of 30 Windows.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Window Salesman: What kind of windows you want?

Just gently caress me up fam

Window Salesman: Say no more

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I feel like whoever did that knew exactly what they were doing, both on a mechanical and aesthetic level. So it's kinda hard to get mad about it. Which isn't to say that I'd want to have to maintain all that crap.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Aftermath of the fire sale at the local Home Depot

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The amount of work involved in planning and installation of this thing is unbelievable

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Planning? Looks to me like it was a gently caress it, what’s on sale? Good enough!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

Planning? Looks to me like it was a gently caress it, what’s on sale? Good enough!

There is approximately a 0% chance that anyone could pull off that complicated of a frontage and have it look as tidy in the specifics, if they weren't putting a ton of effort into achieving that very specific look. Like, there's no gaps, the (many) corners and edges are all precise, and wherever there's repetition, everything is spaced and sized consistently. Someone trying to cheap out and improvising as they go would produce a vastly worse result.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

*approaches window display at Universal Supply*

hold my beer

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I feel like whoever did that knew exactly what they were doing, both on a mechanical and aesthetic level. So it's kinda hard to get mad about it. Which isn't to say that I'd want to have to maintain all that crap.

They so clearly made exactly what they intended to make and it's so overwhelmingly weird that I kinda like it.

Like, I wouldn't build it or buy it, but if my neighbor started converting his place into that, I'd be ok with it once it was finished. I'd spend the construction process peering through my blinds with gradually mounting unease, but mostly for fear my neighbor might be a Lovecraftian protagonist.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 19, 2022

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

5$ says that's on the SCP website

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's very on point for the current thread title.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

e: Also:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

(The window washer takes a long, hard stare at the house, not moving for several minutes. At the end of it, he pulls out his clipboard and estimate sheet, scrawls "gently caress YOU" in capital letters, across it, diagonally, and hands it to the homeowner. He throws his name tag on the ground, and leaves.)