Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

ToxicFrog posted:

Right, I know it's set by the publisher, but Amazon still knows whether DRM is enabled or not, they just don't, as far as I can tell, expose that information;

Pretty sure you get a notice at the end of the book description on the store page:
"At the Publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management Software (DRM) applied."
So presumably if it doesn't show that then the book does have DRM.

I dont know if that statement is completely authoritative, but I see it more often than not on books I buy on kindle.

Hobnob fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

smug n stuff posted:

I just started reading Gideon on the recommendation of a friend, and while the setting and story so far are pretty interesting, I’m finding myself getting quite irritated by the prose style, where Muir combines super obscure “vocabulary words” with 21st century slang and also made-up SFF jargon. It just doesn’t feel like it adds up to a natural voice, I guess it feels “forced.” Does that style change beyond the first few chapters, or will I just have to get used to it to enjoy the books?

E: and the similes, good god! From the page I’m on: “Coupling him to Harrow had been rather like yoking a doughnut to a cobra.” Good lord, that makes absolutely no sense. Is it like a meta thing where you’re supposed to understand something about Gideon by the way she uses this stilted, desperate-to-impress language, and I just need to read more to figure out what that is?

the gagworthy twee poo poo does not get any better, no

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there's a lot of demand for :buddy: writing lately and mostly in makes me feel like I'm imprisoned in the 4th grade for eternity

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

I hate all twee/snarky/online-poisoned SFF writing, except for Muir's, which I love :shrug: can't really explain why except she's the 1 who pulls it off

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

RDM posted:

Darkwar by Glen Cook

Thirding this.

Glen Cook's thing is fantasy worlds with deeply scary sorcerers. We usually see them fully formed, steeped in power and malignancy for generations. Darkwar is his exploration of how a sorcerer powerful to break her world over her knee, and willful enough to do it, gets that way. Also it's science fiction, not fantasy - there's even a genuine first contact situation.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

cptn_dr posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions, friends. Gonna go raid my local second hand bookshops this weekend and grab a bunch of the Cherryh I know they've got, and see what else I can track down.

Ok, picked up Pride of Chanur and Merchanter's Luck, and grabbed Downbelow Station from the library. That's a good start, I reckon.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sailor Viy posted:

I hate all twee/snarky/online-poisoned SFF writing, except for Muir's, which I love :shrug: can't really explain why except she's the 1 who pulls it off

Yeah, same, but if you hate it then you will hate the books.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Sailor Viy posted:

At least she made sure that all the references to lovely millennial meme culture are appropriate, since the god-emperor and his founding OG cronies are literally a bunch of lovely millennial nerds.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

I get why, KU has a huge reader base so given the choice between "KU" and "literally everywhere else except KU" it probably does make financial sense to target the latter, but as someone who just wants to pay authors for books and then read them KU is like the least convenient way to do that.

I haven't put a new book out in a couple of years but will be doing so soon, and I'm strongly considering taking my stuff (or at least my current series) out of KU, where I've always been, because I'm no longer sure it actually does make financial sense. Amazon isn't quite the monopoly it used to be and the very slow ratcheting down of page-read payout KU gives you has meant that self cannibalisation (i.e. you make less money on KU than if they buy the book off Amazon outright, but they wouldn't necessarily have done that if it wasn't in KU) is also increasingly less worthwhile.

Are trad published authors even in KU? I don't actually use it a reader myself, I mostly buy print and have a Kobo which subjects me to a Kafkaesque IT nightmare every time I want to borrow a book off an Overdrive library, but I assumed KU was basically just for self-pubbed stuff.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
There's a couple. Hell, I just found out a few days ago murderbot was on there.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there's a lot of manga on there now which is nice because manga publishers really love charging $11 for one volume that's like 100 pages and barely advances the story at all.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Well hang on, how does that work? I read Murderbot off Overdrive via my local library. And at a glance on google I can walk down the road and buy it at Dymocks.

(The answer to this is going to be that there are different rules for trad pub authors and self pub authors, isn't it)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

sebmojo posted:

Yeah, same, but if you hate it then you will hate the books.

Yeah I absolutely adore the books, but include a caveat anytime I recommend them, which is if you're allergic to random memes in your sci fi, just don't bother, you're not going to like it.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Finished The Player of Games and I'd say it was pretty good, but not great. I read it cause people have said it's a good intro to the Culture but I don't know if it'd make me want to continue if I hadn't heard good things about the series as a whole. Still I'll pick up Use of Weapons at some point and see how I go.

Anyway I'm in the mood for a boat book and I was gonna ask for recommendations but then I realised I have Master & Commander and The Happy Return sitting on my shelves unread so now I'm excited to get into those.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
If you have KU and haven't read This is How You Lose the Time War, it's on KU and you have a homework assignment

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Hobnob posted:

Pretty sure you get a notice at the end of the book description on the store page:
"At the Publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management Software (DRM) applied."
So presumably if it doesn't show that then the book does have DRM.

I dont know if that statement is completely authoritative, but I see it more often than not on books I buy on kindle.
I do remember seeing that in the past, but it doesn't show up even on books that I know are DRM-free on Amazon now, so :shrug:.

cptn_dr posted:

Ok, picked up Pride of Chanur and Merchanter's Luck, and grabbed Downbelow Station from the library. That's a good start, I reckon.
I don't know how orthodox an opinion this is, but IMO Downbelow Station is probably the worst A-U book to start with despite being one of the earliest ones published; it's an extremely dense read and while the Treaty of Pell is central to the setting, the immediate events leading up to it just...aren't that interesting if you aren't already invested. I think it works best after you've read most of the other A-U stuff.

Pride of Chanur is the good poo poo, though, and while it works perfectly fine standalone, there's three more books about Pyanfar Chanur and her swashbuckling crew (and one epilogue book about Hilfy) to pick up if you finish it and want more.

mllaneza posted:

Glen Cook's thing is fantasy worlds with deeply scary sorcerers. We usually see them fully formed, steeped in power and malignancy for generations. Darkwar is his exploration of how a sorcerer powerful to break her world over her knee, and willful enough to do it, gets that way. Also it's science fiction, not fantasy - there's even a genuine first contact situation.
Yeah, Darkwar went places. I opened it up expecting something more like The Black Company and what I got was The Lady of the Tower does C.J. Cherryh. Those books owned and now that I have my e-reader back I should reread them, too.

Speaking of Cook, Passage at Arms might appeal to people looking for grimy, tense sci-fi.

RDM posted:

If you have KU and haven't read This is How You Lose the Time War, it's on KU and you have a homework assignment
Also, if you don't have KU and haven't read it, it's available DRM-free on a bunch of other storefronts.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Taffy Torpedo posted:

Finished The Player of Games and I'd say it was pretty good, but not great. I read it cause people have said it's a good intro to the Culture but I don't know if it'd make me want to continue if I hadn't heard good things about the series as a whole. Still I'll pick up Use of Weapons at some point and see how I go.

Anyway I'm in the mood for a boat book and I was gonna ask for recommendations but then I realised I have Master & Commander and The Happy Return sitting on my shelves unread so now I'm excited to get into those.
I'm surprised people recommended Player of Games over Excession - but each to their own.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

freebooter posted:

I haven't put a new book out in a couple of years but will be doing so soon, and I'm strongly considering taking my stuff (or at least my current series) out of KU, where I've always been, because I'm no longer sure it actually does make financial sense.

It depends on your niche really. As far as I'm aware, LitRPG, progression fantasy and romance etc are all still mainly KU dominant.

freebooter posted:

Are trad published authors even in KU?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Gideon the Ninth is too, the last time I checked.

freebooter posted:

Well hang on, how does that work?

(The answer to this is going to be that there are different rules for trad pub authors and self pub authors, isn't it)

Yes. Including how they're compensated for the books that go into KU, I believe, though I'm maybe 60% confident on that particular detail (I have a vague recollection of reading it somewhere).

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm surprised people recommended Player of Games over Excession - but each to their own.

Player of Games is more relatable due to having more human characters at the focus of a more straightforward story. I like Excession more because there's more going on and a lot more moving parts to the plot of the book, but it'd be a lot to take in on first exposure to the setting.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

ToxicFrog posted:

Speaking of Cook, Passage at Arms might appeal to people looking for grimy, tense sci-fi.
The Dragon Never Sleeps is also a pretty decent one off scifi story from Glen Cook.

I dunno if it got chopped up in editing but it's pretty hard to get through - it feels like the narrative is all over the place and it's hard to follow who most of the characters are.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Leng posted:

Okay, so long thoughts incoming on Iron Widow by Xiran Jay Zhou.

Interesting write-up! I tore through Iron Widow in a day, which is impressive since I've probably DNF'd 90% of the sff novels I've picked up in the last two years. It's definitely wish-fulfillment, you're spot on there, but it's fun and it's well-paced and it didn't make me want to die by the time it was over. The only real complaint I have about it was that putting teens in a poly relationship is ludicrous, like telling someone to run their first marathon in iron boots, but I think the book was initially supposed be to adult so I'll give it a pass.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

My top picks would be Excession or Use of Weapons, but PoG is a common starting point recommendation.

RDM posted:

The Dragon Never Sleeps is also a pretty decent one off scifi story from Glen Cook.

I dunno if it got chopped up in editing but it's pretty hard to get through - it feels like the narrative is all over the place and it's hard to follow who most of the characters are.
The Dragon Never Sleeps is good but a very different vibe, IIRC. And yeah, it's more like the Dread Empire books in that it spans decades or centuries of time in a single book and often the only indication you initially have that a massive time skip has occurred is the year in the chapter heading, so it takes some concentration to remain oriented when reading it.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Well, now we finally know who's afraid of Virginia Woolf.

Oh gently caress this killed me.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Player of Games is more relatable due to having more human characters at the focus of a more straightforward story. I like Excession more because there's more going on and a lot more moving parts to the plot of the book, but it'd be a lot to take in on first exposure to the setting.

Nick Hornby's attempt to review Excession is an all-timer demo for this:

quote:

[N]othing in the twenty-odd pages I managed of Excession was in any way bad; it’s just that I didn’t understand a word. I didn’t even understand the blurb on the back of the book: “Two and a half millennia ago, the artifact appeared in a remote corner of space, beside a trillion-year-old dying sun from a different universe. It was a perfect black-body sphere, and it did nothing. Then it disappeared. Now it is back.” This is clearly intended to entice us into the novel—that’s what blurbs do, right? But this blurb just made me scared. An artifact—that’s something you normally find in a museum, isn’t it? Well, what’s a museum exhibit doing floating around in space? So what if it did nothing? What are museum exhibits supposed to do? And this dying sun—how come it’s switched universes? Can dying suns do that?

The urge to weep tears of frustration was already upon me even before I read the short prologue, which seemed to describe some kind of androgynous avatar visiting a woman who has been pregnant for forty years and who lives on her own in the tower of a giant spaceship. (Is this the artifact? Or the dying sun? Can a dying sun be a spaceship? Probably.) By the time I got to the first chapter, which is entitled “Outside Context Problem” and begins “(CGU Grey Area signal sequence file #n428857/119),” I was crying so hard that I could no longer see the page in front of my face, at which point I abandoned the entire ill-conceived experiment altogether. I haven’t felt so stupid since I stopped attending physics lessons aged fourteen.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

ToxicFrog posted:

I don't know how orthodox an opinion this is, but IMO Downbelow Station is probably the worst A-U book to start with despite being one of the earliest ones published; it's an extremely dense read and while the Treaty of Pell is central to the setting, the immediate events leading up to it just...aren't that interesting if you aren't already invested. I think it works best after you've read most of the other A-U stuff.

Pride of Chanur is the good poo poo, though, and while it works perfectly fine standalone, there's three more books about Pyanfar Chanur and her swashbuckling crew (and one epilogue book about Hilfy) to pick up if you finish it and want more.

Just as a data point, Downbelow Station was the first A-U book I read and I loved it. I'm probably an outlier, though, since I hated Cyteen and I think I've stopped reading it at least three times.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

rollick posted:

I can't believe someone who reviews culture and media doesn't know that artifact has multiple definitions.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Excession is like the only Culture novel I really don't care for.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

smug n stuff posted:

I’m finding myself getting quite irritated by the prose style

I *almost* dropped the book like less than 50 pages in because of it, but I'm glad I stuck with it because it eventually won me over and I now consider her bonkers prose a feature not a bug.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Princep's Fury (Codex Alera #5) by Jim Butcher - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015DWL0S/

The Bull from the Sea by Mary Renault - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DCGJ6WC/

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I know this thread rarely talks about sf critics, but I wanna ask if anyone here knows of what ever happened to Jonathan McCalmont. He used to be active online in the late 2000s and through the 2010s on various blogs, had a regular column in Interzone magazine, and was on the "Shadow Clarke" jury for a year or two. However, sometime around the end of 2017 he seemed to completely vanish from the internet, and there's been no word of what he's been doing. Given how critical he was of how genre culture was evolving in the 2010s, I've wondered if he despaired of finding anything in science fiction to his liking and just abandoned criticism entirely. Don't get me wrong, he was often a colossal prick, but he had an interesting voice that's been missing from the landscape.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

freebooter posted:

Well hang on, how does that work? I read Murderbot off Overdrive via my local library. And at a glance on google I can walk down the road and buy it at Dymocks.

Specifically, it's the contract Amazon's e-book self-publishing arm (Kindle Direct Publishing) offers to the general public vs contracts negotiated with individual traditional publisher.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Nae posted:

I think the book was initially supposed be to adult so I'll give it a pass.

Yeeeep, in the author notes at the back, it says the first draft was way, way, way darker and this is a book where the final published version has Zetian and Li Shimin waterboarding somebody with alcohol and Zetian straight up annihilating the Sages and her family in the capital of Huaxia.

I'm kind of curious as to how the adult version would have read.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The first Cherryh I read was Finity's End and it was a *great* introduction to the A-U universe so for like the eighth time I'm suggesting Finity's End. To start.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

HopperUK posted:

The first Cherryh I read was Finity's End and it was a *great* introduction to the A-U universe so for like the eighth time I'm suggesting Finity's End. To start.
I will always prefer the Chanur books but this is also an A+ recommendation

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

AcidCat posted:

Excession is like the only Culture novel I really don't care for.

Yeah, this is pretty much how I feel about it. It was a good book but it's the most recent Iain M Banks I've read and it hasn't really stuck with me, much in the same way that Inversions didn't. I definitely wouldn't recommend it as an entry point. But everyone is different, my first Culture novel was Surface Detail, after which I read the first three published and then started picking at random. Maybe I'll like Excession better on the second read.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

HopperUK posted:

I was looking for more Cherryh to read, but this one is a bit hard to track down. It doesn't seem like it exists digitally?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

mllaneza posted:

I started with Excession, and I'm not entirely unconvinced I wouldn't have bounced off something like Player of Games as the first book.

I don't know about you, but I like jumping into the pool at the deep end.

ToxicFrog posted:

My top picks would be Excession or Use of Weapons, but PoG is a common starting point recommendation.
There's plenty of scifi that starts off absolutely bonkers as a way to pull in readers; sure there are people who bounce off it, but I'd much rather a recommended book starts out trying to grab my attention.

Earth getting blown up in HHGTTG comes to mind too.

rollick posted:

I'm not convinced Nick Hornby has ever read a science fiction book, or anything involving something that wasn't present-day slice-of-life, if that's his attitude to things.

Why would he expect everything to be explained in the blurb or at the start of the book? Or is he one of those people who like infodumps? Or does he just not understand concepts like black-body radiation, that suns die, or other things that're covered beyond high-school physics class?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Some things aren't for you and that's ok.

That said Isn't Nick hornby the one who raged out at Radiohead for kid a

E: yep (added link above)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Some things aren't for you and that's ok.

That said Isn't Nick hornby the one who raged out at Radiohead for kid a

E: yep
:laffo:

Critics were a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Sonderval posted:

Years late to the party but just finished Gideon and Harrow. God drat they were good. I am now in the mood for more weird fantasy sci fi mashup unknown power etc. I know the next book isn’t far off but is there anything of a similar vein? I’ve always liked the idea of starting fantasy then oops all sci fi.

It's definitely a lot more light-hearted but maybe check out Adrian Tchaikovsky's Elder Race.