Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Awaiting the telegraph article to tell us eating raw potatoes is actually good for you.

SNyPe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I've a pre-pay gas meter that maxes out a single top-up at £49. There's also a hard limit on how many m3 can be loaded on the meter.

Both of these entirely arbitrary limits are in place to prevent poors preloading the meter with 'cheaper' gas between when price hikes are announced and when they come into effect.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

forkboy84 posted:

We work among the lowest hours, we retire early

It’s insane that it only took a generation or two to see these as bad things.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I've a pre-pay gas meter that maxes out a single top-up at £49. There's also a hard limit on how many m3 can be loaded on the meter.

Both of these entirely arbitrary limits are in place to prevent poors preloading the meter with 'cheaper' gas between when price hikes are announced and when they come into effect.

Have you tried not being a poor.

I hear it's pretty nice and all.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
So, are there any coal mines they could reopen to deal with the crisis?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Crowsbeak posted:

for the bodies? surely they'll all be cooked and eaten. well, eaten.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Someone needs to be in charge of destroying infrastructure outside of London

i still don't get why London doesn't just go independent. It would actually give everyone what they want. London doesn't need the rest of the UK, and the rest of the UK is drained by London.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Someone needs to be in charge of destroying infrastructure outside of London

Levelling it, you might say

Regarde Aduck posted:

i still don't get why London doesn't just go independent. It would actually give everyone what they want. London doesn't need the rest of the UK, and the rest of the UK is drained by London.

Where would the rich Londoners live

E: realtalk it's the brain drain where all the most educated workers in the whole country congregate in London. They can't lose that. That and the tax income.

gonadic io has issued a correction as of 20:33 on Aug 20, 2022

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

gonadic io posted:

E: realtalk it's the brain drain where all the most educated workers in the whole country congregate in London. They can't lose that. That and the tax income.
Couldn't they just allow them in?

Regarde Aduck posted:

If the rest of the UK is drained by London then...

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
It would be low key funny if the Tories did say they were promising to reopen the mines to deal with the energy crisis they created.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Crowsbeak posted:

It would be low key funny if the Tories did say they were promising to reopen the mines to deal with the energy crisis they created.

Such a desperate situation that they:

- open the coal mines
- give milk to school children
- nationalise utilities
- sell the falklands to argentina

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Microplastics posted:

- open the coal mines
- nationalise utilities
the school children will need the milk to be productive workers in the coal mines

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Microplastics posted:

- open the coal mines
- nationalise utilities

Not going to happen but funny.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

as a current not-poor i got offered a free install of a smart meter and took it and now they're contacting me to ask for a meter reading since that apparently isn't working and lol no. they're currently going bust why would i do that

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Just found out I got my first twitter 'probe'.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
is the cause of the energy crisis basically due to knock on effects from the european sanctions on russian gas? so the UK pulling out of the EU means they basically opted out of having any say in how to fix the issue?

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Please watch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hp2XhGY8NU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Valko posted:

Just found out I got my first twitter 'probe'.

that’s messed up. I bet you’d be fine if you were rich and famous

https://twitter.com/rezaaslan/status/1307107507131875330

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

that’s messed up. I bet you’d be fine if you were rich and famous

https://twitter.com/rezaaslan/status/1307107507131875330
Valko's tweet is a clearly religiously motivated antisemitic call to arms to burn "them" down, while that tweet is referring to burning down a metaphorical thing.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I didnt watch your eleven minute video but are you seriously suggesting that the tory party is ideologically committed to dismantling public infrastructure in favour of vague "market based" "solutions"?

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

Crowsbeak posted:

We don't have the coal power plants any more to make use of the coal even if we wanted to.

The biggest ones were converted to biomass and the rest mothballed.

Theres a few kept around for emergencies but not to the generation required.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Kaveman posted:

We don't have the coal power plants any more to make use of the coal even if we wanted to.

The biggest ones were converted to biomass and the rest mothballed.

Theres a few kept around for emergencies but not to the generation required.
sure, but you could have 14 year olds drive lorries around delivering coal directly to people's houses

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

sure, but you could have 14 year olds drive lorries around delivering coal directly to people's houses

They'd have to be quite small 14 year olds (maybe that's the goal of raising a malnourished generation) so they can also climb up the chimneys to give them a good clean out.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

They'd have to be quite small 14 year olds (maybe that's the goal of raising a malnourished generation) so they can also climb up the chimneys to give them a good clean out.

this made me google it and lol at a modern chimney sweeping company feeling the need to have this on their website

https://www.mychimney.com/uncategorized/children-as-chimney-sweeps/

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Reading that will absolutely suck any joy out of the rest of your day, so do it. Joy is forbidden in Brexit Britain.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
uhhh

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/aug/21/gps-could-prescribe-money-off-energy-bills-under-treasury-plan

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

good news: going to the gp is about to cost money

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jose posted:

this made me google it and lol at a modern chimney sweeping company feeling the need to have this on their website

When I was at primary school back in the 60s we were shown a TV programme* about child chimney sweeps and it included images of a kid stuck up a chimney who died up there. It still haunts me when I think of it.
We were made of tough stuff back then, I doubt very much it would be allowed to show such a programme to kids these days!

*IIRC it was an episode in the Merry Go Round (!) series which the big old black & white TV used to be trundled out into the classroom on Thursday mornings for us all to watch.

Here's another article about it:

https://www.sweepsmart.co.uk/lets-talk-about-chimney-boys-the-harsh-truths-about-child-chimney-sweeps/

Jaeluni Asjil has issued a correction as of 12:04 on Aug 21, 2022

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i've seen a modern chimney sweep clear out a chimney and their extremely modern tech is get this: a very long brush

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat

Ah yes, the GPs who famously get trained to tackle financial matters and who aren't currently facing a staffing crisis and who you can easily get an appointment with and who we definitely won't have to start paying to see, loving fantastic idea 10/10

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

The Donut posted:

Ah yes, the GPs who famously get trained to tackle financial matters and who aren't currently facing a staffing crisis and who you can easily get an appointment with and who we definitely won't have to start paying to see, loving fantastic idea 10/10

Sounds like a plan. Pay £100 to see your GP. GP writes prescription for you to get £50 off the gas bill. Whichever Tory crony has the contract for 'managing' all this gets £50 in pocket.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

obviously you fill the cabin with 5 year olds who get dropped off wit the coal, and are then picked up again by the driver after he has finished deliveries. only a labour government would suggest making it so you have to wait for the chimney boy to finish everyone else's chimney before doing yours.

Jose posted:

they might be doing this to improve their seo, by getting people to click unto their website even if they don't need their services, thus convincing google they're a more relevant result for chimney sweeps.

Jose posted:

i've seen a modern chimney sweep clear out a chimney and their extremely modern tech is get this: a very long brush
you can only invent very long brushes after you make child labour illegal

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

this thread is more depressing than the climate apocalypse thread

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Maya Fey posted:

this thread is more depressing than the climate apocalypse thread

Look on the bright side. If you don’t live here it's probably pretty funny seeing the shittiest island nation eating gallons of self-inflicted schadenfreude.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

is there something that goes hand-in-hand with the UK better than "depression"?

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

forkboy84 posted:

Look on the bright side. If you don’t live here it's probably pretty funny seeing the shittiest island nation eating gallons of self-inflicted schadenfreude.

well some of my friends still live there lol. not for long though i guess

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

forkboy84 posted:

"But doctor!" the man cried "I do live there!"

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

im sorry that I'm constantly a resentful, miserable oval office in this thread. It's just that after how they did corbyn I hate the entirety of the political and journalist classes that compose your wicked nation of evil liars

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

ah! there I go again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017