Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

What did the fake wano ending for PW4 end up being?

Basically, after Kaido beats Luffy early on, Luffy is taken prisoner and word gets out. EVERYONE shows up to help. Bartolomeo, Cavendish, Sabo, Kuzan, Smoker and Tashigi all show up to help Luffy and the Straw Hats. Pretty much all of the Wano specific characters don’t exist outside of Mom and Kinemon, so no Orochi or Yamato or the other samurai. Luffy is freed, and everyone storms Onigashima to challenge Kaido.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
At this point I feel like Yamato as a character was specifically designed to cause every single member of the One Piece fandom to be mad in one way or another.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Tolth posted:

At this point I feel like Yamato as a character was specifically designed to cause every single member of the One Piece fandom to be mad in one way or another.

Oda does it again

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Ryaomon posted:

lol just remembered nidai kitetsu just fuckin completely disappeared and was never brought up again

addendum: just realized Luffy, Zoro, and Sanji all get some sort of power up in wano and then by the end of the arc they get another power up that makes that first one completely pointless

Meme Emulator posted:

What did the fake wano ending for PW4 end up being?

Act 1: mostly the same

Act 2: Seeing the news of Luffy's capture Bartolomeo, Cavendish and Sabo come to Wano to help. Katakuri breaks Luffy out of the prison ostensibly to both gently caress over Kaido and bring him to Big Mom (they never team up in this version). Meanwhile Sengoku contacts Kuzan and sends him, Smoker, and Tashigi to discreetly help as well because gently caress Kaido.

Act 3: Big final 3 way battle where it becomes apparent the reason all these characters showed up was so you could have your choice of one of 18 characters for the final level. Blackbeard shows up and reveals he teamed up with Kaido to do.... something. Kaido is the final boss and retreats for the time being. Presumably they didn't want to show him being beaten outright because nobody at the time knew if that was even possible, similar thing happened with PW3.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Mirello posted:

this is such a loving pain in the rear end. 8 nerds popping in to "WELL ACTUALLY, THE SUBREDDIT IS BAD" I dont give a poo poo. I don't want to waste my time and copy and paste the panels and reupload them to imgur. that's why I linked there. for this, I'm called a fool.

it's really sad, this is the level of discourse. instead of actually non stop personal attacks or w/e, how about you guys actually discuss the content of the arguments.

if you guys want this kind of nonstop personal attack and nerdy bullshit, you should really go post in D&D, they love this kind of pedantic crap.

I was hoping to discuss one piece.

Sir this is a Wendy's

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Why is this thread melting down so hard over one lame chapter

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Tolth posted:

Yamato didn't make me mad. I am however confused as to them just being like "I'm not going now!" and the reasoning for it. I wasn't emotionally invested in Yamato joining or not joining but it was all handled in a weirdly deflating manner instead of giving them something interesting to do INSTEAD of joining? Jimbei had poo poo to do before he joined, that worked. If Yamato had been given something interesting to do with some implication they'd show up later (not even necessarily as crew) I'd be have been more onboard but this kinda comes off as shoving them in a cupboard now that we're leaving Wano.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Nuebot posted:

I think it's that some people had a lot of problems with Wano, and this chapter being the end was the straw that broke the camel's back and it's clashing with this thread's usual weird thing that if you dislike literally anything in One Piece you hate the whole series

(not defending the reddit guy, he sucks)

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Hey did we ever find out what Smoker's message to Luffy was? I was starting my reread of water 7 and Aokiji said he got a message from smoker and I don't think it ever got resolved. Starting off like this is kinda bumming me out lol

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

MoonCrab posted:

Hey did we ever find out what Smoker's message to Luffy was? I was starting my reread of water 7 and Aokiji said he got a message from smoker and I don't think it ever got resolved. Starting off like this is kinda bumming me out lol

It was too stupid to mention.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Here I'll post them:

Now they're not on Reddit so we can talk about One Piece and not about Reddit

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i really dislike the colourations

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face

Blockhouse posted:

I think it's that some people had a lot of problems with Wano, and this chapter being the end was the straw that broke the camel's back and it's clashing with this thread's usual weird thing that if you dislike literally anything in One Piece you hate the whole series

Yeah this was were I was at. There were a lot of individual little things that I've been overlooking because the major beats were still landing. Hell even in this chapter I was ready to let Yamato go because momo as little brother was cute and the captains being dumbasses was funny.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Terper posted:

Here I'll post them:

are you a child. d o you need such basic things explained. i understand this is a comic book however i would assume you are an adult and have the ability to read and comprehend at a level high enough to understand what you are looking at here.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
can't believe the latest chapter really ended with Luffy giving up on finding the One Piece

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Terper posted:

Here I'll post them:

I let out a hearty lol at the circled torch

Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Isn't this just a stupid translation issue? It is the exact same line as "Oden was born to boil"/"It wouldn't be Oden if it wasn't burned", however with the difference that Oden is understood by an english reader to be the type of food, but Kurozumi is not translated into charcoal so far. So you have to present the line differently in english, leading to the implied context of referring to the entire clan, a context which is not there in the original japanese.

Is any japanese reader reacting to this line the same way?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I think I liked One Piece better before it had a huge fandom, the manga gets better every day but the fans are just fffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Terper posted:

Here I'll post them:

lol this s some dumbass zodiac poo poo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the 100% clear intent is kurozumi orochi, you were born to burn. these guys are fuckin psychos

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

doing the koos/smg post but about why the guy called charcoal was born to burn

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
hosed up that Sukiyaki intended for his son to be boiled to death

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Eiba posted:

Yeah, actually thinking about it, that line could be salvaged pretty easily. "This Kurozumi was born to burn," would have no issues and still be a pretty awesome gently caress you to Orochi. From what little I know of Japanese the original probably just said "Kurozumi Born Burn" because everything else is juts implied in Japanese, so the original could be about Orochi in particular, even if it's ambiguous.

Japanese speaker seems to confirm it's referring really just to Orochi

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Should’ve said it to him as he was burning imo and then cut off his head herself, would’ve been sick

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
ah okay so once again it's just fan translations being lovely and sparking a lot of arguing over nothing

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

hatty posted:

Just reading the manga I didnt feel any Yamato hype until I caught up and started reading this thread, this feels like a self inflicted wound by the fandom

i would concur with this tbh. i really do not agree that Yamato was "super built up" to join, either. every time he threw out the "i'm joining" line it seemed to get little real attention, i think it was in oda's plan always to not have them join this arc

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mirello posted:

this is such a loving pain in the rear end. 8 nerds popping in to "WELL ACTUALLY, THE SUBREDDIT IS BAD" I dont give a poo poo. I don't want to waste my time and copy and paste the panels and reupload them to imgur. that's why I linked there. for this, I'm called a fool.

it's really sad, this is the level of discourse. instead of actually non stop personal attacks or w/e, how about you guys actually discuss the content of the arguments.

if you guys want this kind of nonstop personal attack and nerdy bullshit, you should really go post in D&D, they love this kind of pedantic crap.

I was hoping to discuss one piece.

shut up bitch

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

tbp posted:

i would concur with this tbh. i really do not agree that Yamato was "super built up" to join, either. every time he threw out the "i'm joining" line it seemed to get little real attention, i think it was in oda's plan always to not have them join this arc

i think its only really the implementation people are particularly bothered by. At least based on me reading the whole thread response yesterday because it was my last day at work so why wouldn't i

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Jose posted:

i think its only really the implementation people are particularly bothered by. At least based on me reading the whole thread response yesterday because it was my last day at work so why wouldn't i

to me it felt pretty natural though. yamato watches momonosuke and the scabbards completely out of their depth for the most part against one singular soldier, meditates on the idea for a few days, and decides to stay, giving an alternative reason because momo explicitly screamed about feeling guilty if he were the reason yamato had to stay. it's a white lie because he wants to protect wano

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Terper posted:

I mean who can blame us when we got content like this

This was the moment that sold me on Yamato

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

tbp posted:

Japanese speaker seems to confirm it's referring really just to Orochi

I thought everyone knew this already at this point

Last night a lot of us didnt, myself included

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I thought it was pretty obvious with the picture of a burning Orochi right there and everything, but people like to go off

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

tbp posted:

to me it felt pretty natural though. yamato watches momonosuke and the scabbards completely out of their depth for the most part against one singular soldier, meditates on the idea for a few days, and decides to stay, giving an alternative reason because momo explicitly screamed about feeling guilty if he were the reason yamato had to stay. it's a white lie because he wants to protect wano

i guess that there is no internal dialogue about it its just a sort of one panel and done? that said i haven't reread the chapter yet i'm waiting for the official scan now

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Have TCB failed us…? :negative:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Jose posted:

i guess that there is no internal dialogue about it its just a sort of one panel and done? that said i haven't reread the chapter yet i'm waiting for the official scan now

they also said that yamato spoke to luffy before leaving. i would be incredibly non surprised if we got a small flashback of that conversation where he explicitly spells it out "hey i'm going to stick around for momonosuke"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

tbp posted:

I think if any of that was in the story, that would be fine. But it's not. If that was the intent, then I believe there'd be even a slight implication this was the case as Oda is not exactly a subtle storyteller. As it is what you have is basically headcanon that tries to make sense of a thing that's just suddenly dropped in and moved on from.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Cat Machine posted:

Have TCB failed us…? :negative:

idts, its just an awkward line to translate. it's a pretty explicit call to "i'm oden and i was born to boil", but in orochi's case, his given name doesn't work for the uh, death pun quite the same. so hiyori uses the family name which is "charcoal" to get the same effect.

i do'nt think oda would throw away one of the most consistent and important themes in the entire story for the sake of One Cool Line, but reading through the posts in this thread it's weird how little credibility some readers seem to give him lol

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

I think if any of that was in the story, that would be fine. But it's not. If that was the intent, then I believe there'd be even a slight implication this was the case as Oda is not exactly a subtle storyteller. As it is what you have is basically headcanon that tries to make sense of a thing that's just suddenly dropped in and moved on from.

i dont think its subtle though. like, sincerely, to me this was the blatantly obvious chain of events. i am actually more confused that the rest of you seem to not be concluding something similar, it's making me feel a little nuts

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Its genuinely crazy. There's been significantly worse chapters and worse writing failures, even in this arc.

I can't understand how this is the moment where people realise the Orochi poo poo is problematic. He's been written terribly throughout the entire arc and he was presented from the beginning as inheriting his family's evil traitor bastard vibes. He's clearly the worst part of Wano and it somehow took till now for a bunch of people to realise the writing around him was weird!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

tbp posted:

i dont think its subtle though. like, sincerely, to me this was the blatantly obvious chain of events. i am actually more confused that the rest of you seem to not be concluding something similar, it's making me feel a little nuts

i don't think you're wrong but i think all of that could have fit in the chapter is the issue