Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Its genuinely crazy. There's been significantly worse chapters and worse writing failures, even in this arc.

I can't understand how this is the moment where people realise the Orochi poo poo is problematic. He's been written terribly throughout the entire arc and he was presented from the beginning as inheriting his family's evil traitor bastard vibes. He's clearly the worst part of Wano and it somehow took till now for a bunch of people to realise the writing around him was weird!

huh? isn't this explicitly not the case? he became the way he was due to the absurd treatment the korozumi's got after the patriarch attempted to poison the shogun and killed the other daimyo. i mean yeah, all the korozumi's we've met have been assholes (all 4 of them) but i don't think there's a point where the narrative tries to tell us at all that this is a result of their blood. we also get similar buildup for kanjuro (and know literally nothing of the background for the other two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Its genuinely crazy. There's been significantly worse chapters and worse writing failures, even in this arc.

I can't understand how this is the moment where people realise the Orochi poo poo is problematic. He's been written terribly throughout the entire arc and he was presented from the beginning as inheriting his family's evil traitor bastard vibes. He's clearly the worst part of Wano and it somehow took till now for a bunch of people to realise the writing around him was weird!

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
every character doesn’t have to follow one piece’s morals to a tee, her whole family and country were killed off by orochi with her forced into a brothel over it. It’s ok if some people are haters in one piece sometimes

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't fully agree with Orochi inheriting "traitor vibes", he was pretty clearly manipulated into it by the old Kurozumi hag

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

tbp posted:

huh? isn't this explicitly not the case? he became the way he was due to the absurd treatment the korozumi's got after the patriarch attempted to poison the shogun and killed the other daimyo. i mean yeah, all the korozumi's we've met have been assholes (all 4 of them) but i don't think there's a point where the narrative tries to tell us at all that this is a result of their blood. we also get similar buildup for kanjuro (and know literally nothing of the background for the other two

The Kurozumi's are introduced as evil greedy traitor dudes and then their son despite being treated well by Oden turns out to be an evil greedy traitor dude when given the opportunity. Orocho's just a real one-note character so his family's persecution after their failed attempt to seize power never gets a lot of focus or feels like a meaningful point is being made.

I don't think this is Oda undermining the themes and it's not a black mark on the story or whatever. The Kurozumi's are just very underdeveloped beyond being evil traitors and Orochi is a very boring character who gets way too much screentime for how lame he is.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Looking back the greatest sin of this chapter was the way too long flashback montage in the middle

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Blockhouse posted:

I think if any of that was in the story, that would be fine. But it's not. If that was the intent, then I believe there'd be even a slight implication this was the case as Oda is not exactly a subtle storyteller. As it is what you have is basically headcanon that tries to make sense of a thing that's just suddenly dropped in and moved on from.
I'm not saying this to troll but this was pretty clear to me. That was the whole point of the scene with green bull, there isnt any reason for it to happen except to set up that momo is not yet ready to defend wano without yamato's help.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No Wave posted:

I'm not saying this to troll but this was pretty clear to me. That was the whole point of the scene with green bull, there isnt any reason for it to happen except to set up that momo is not yet ready to defend wano without yamato's help.

People literally got the opposite impression from that scene, and also, Yamato did not actually say he was staying to defend Wano.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Honestly marinating on the chapter and especially realizing the translation error, I've come around on it

Chapter fine.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah I'm mostly over the initial reaction, I'm just finding a lot of the apologia about it really inconsistent with the conversations that were happening in here as recently as two days ago

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
fwiw the reaction has caused me to 180 on my stance of being able to discuss spoilers itt. i don't think a good portion of posters would be able to handle it lol, i was wrong to think we could just, you know, talk about them or what they might mean

donotpost
Jul 28, 2022
a little negativity after the thread's been pretty uniformly positive for the entirety of wano isn't gonna hurt anything and it'll probably stop as soon as the next chapter drops

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

tbp posted:

fwiw the reaction has caused me to 180 on my stance of being able to discuss spoilers itt. i don't think a good portion of posters would be able to handle it lol, i was wrong to think we could just, you know, talk about them or what they might mean

i think as almost everyone reads the scans as their spoilers its bad form linking them anyway

like i'm a twitter addict as people in other forums can attest to and i've literally never seen OP spoilers before this thread

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
All the overreacting in this thread has made me no longer sad about rad character Yamato not joining.

Thank God this isn't leading directly into a break week.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

I'm happy that the line about Orochi was, indeed, a mistranslation and would also like to say that I will be happier if I never read any more creepy/offensive dialogue about Yamato ever again. And I am super excited for when he finally joins up! I hope it's as epic a moment as when Oden participated in a fight between Whitebeard and Gol D. Roger.

Edit: Holy poo poo I am so sorry

Dammerung fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 21, 2022

donotpost
Jul 28, 2022
he, not she

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
somethingawful dot com forums one piece manga thread: oda said trans rights go a single page without misgendering the comic book character challenge 2022

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Eh, if the line was a mistranslation then the chap was just kind of a wet fart. If this was the last chappy done before the month break then hopefully the "editorial intervention" people liked to spin conspiracy theories about was them telling him to chill out and get his stuff in order for the final arc.

Dammerung posted:

I'm happy that the line about Orochi was, indeed, a mistranslation and would also like to say that I will be happier if I never read any more creepy/offensive dialogue about Yamato ever again. And I am super excited for when she finally joins up! I hope it's as epic a moment as when Oden participated in a fight between Whitebeard and Gol D. Roger.

He.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
https://twitter.com/thedreami6/status/1560744456382709761?s=21&t=ZnEevYnj332TCsuQgrpNdw

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Please don’t dox posters in this thread

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

sanest reaction to this chapter

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

all those walls scrolls like bottles in the dumpster

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
wanos fine it was just one lower quality chapter lol. just sucked that the chapter was the last one.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I never thought I'd see this thread melt down as hard as Reddit but here we are

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
the chapter pwned. lets be clear.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
On a separate note, maybe it's time for a new thread? It's been over 2 years and now that Wano's over, it can be a fresh starting point. You can even title the thread WANO IS OVER.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'd say once the official is out.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
For whatever it's worth, I think it makes more sense to do it when the next arc starts. So probably like an extra week wait, but it just feels cleaner that way.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Maybe wait til the middle of the week so that one can start on a brighter note. Get the bad vibes out here and start off the new thread w/ the next chapter that may wash the taste out.

RC Cola posted:

I never thought I'd see this thread melt down as hard as Reddit but here we are

That one poster aside, not really a meltdown. Just a sudden and widely agreed on "oh, I don't like his decision here" which has been profoundly absent for what, years?

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

Having the character who's main motivation has been leaving the island, with one of his plot threads being shackles that keep him on the island (that luffy removes), suddenly be like "naah actually I'll stay on the island" is really weird to me and doesn't seem like it was originally intended.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
If this is up to a vote, mines that we wait to see if the next chapter is a clean break and if it is we pack it in. Spoiler readers can decide.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

One Piece Manga Thread: Oda really got Wano-ver on us

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Bedlam posted:

Having the character who's main motivation has been leaving the island, with one of his plot threads being shackles that keep him on the island (that luffy removes), suddenly be like "naah actually I'll stay on the island" is really weird to me and doesn't seem like it was originally intended.

To be fair he’s not staying on Onigashima, he’s exploring the whole country of Wano which he never got to see.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Also wanted to remind people about this since we will likely be getting the rest of the crew's new bounties in the next couple of chapters

RuBisCO posted:

:siren::siren::siren:CONTEST ALERT:siren::siren::siren:

Hey! Guess I should post this now.

With Wano approaching its end after 4 entire years, I wanted to do something that celebrates one of my favourite parts of One Piece: bounty updates!

The last time we received a proper crew-wide bounty update was the end of Dressrosa, in 2015. If we consider the last time we had the entire crew together to react to bounties, it'd be the Post-Enies Lobby arc back in 2007! 15 years ago! Holy moley!

So, why not hold a once in a decade-ish contest and take bets on what everyone's new bounties will be. List out what you think will be the new bounties for each of the Straw Hats. The closest guess for each Straw Hat, as well as the resulting closest summed total for the Straw Hat Pirates' total bounty, will score one point each. The poster with the highest number of points wins!

:siren:The prize will be a 100$ donation to a charity of your choice!:siren:

To state it plainly:

1) Guess what each of the Straw Hats' new bounty will be.
2) Scoring will go by closest absolute value by difference for each Straw Hat, as well as the closest |value| to the total Straw Hat bounty.
3) Closest match will score 1 point.
4) In case two (or more) posters have the same number of points, winner will be decided by whoever has the most closest guesses to each Straw Hat.
5) Uh in case this still results in a tie I'll figure something out.
6) Poster with the highest number of points wins 100$USD (:canada:) to a charity of their choice.

For convenience, here are the current Straw Hat bounties:

"Straw Hat" Luffy
1,500,000,000 Berries

"Pirate Hunter" Roronoa Zoro
320,000,000 Berries

"Cat Burgler" Nami
66,000,000 Berries

"God" Usopp
200,000,000 Berries

"Black Leg" Vinsmoke Sanji
330,000,000 Berries

"Cotton Candy Lover" Tony Tony Chopper
100 Berries

"Devil Child" Nico Robin
130,000,000 Berries

"Cyborg" Franky
94,000,000 Berries

"Soul King" Brook
83,000,000 Berries

"First Son of the Sea" Jinbe
438,000,000 Berries

"Oni Princess? Oni Prince?? Kozuki Oden???" Yamato
n/a

+
Current Total for the Straw Hat Pirates
3,161,000,100 Berries

And for copy and pasting:

All bets will be recorded in this here spreadsheet.

Contest will close when spoilers for the chapter with the bounty reveals drop. I will sacrifice my own One Piece experience and start reading spoilers until we get the full reveal. However, note that I can't actually run in here and announce that spoilers contain bounties, so it will be a silent cutoff. Get in your bets ASAP!

(Murmurs on spoiler channels say bounties may be dropping relatively soon!)

:siren::siren::siren:

RuBisCO posted:

Noted!

We'll see if the leaks hold true or not (cause lol) but :siren::siren::siren:contest bets are closed!:siren::siren::siren:

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Julias posted:

Also wanted to remind people about this since we will likely be getting the rest of the crew's new bounties in the next couple of chapters

lol I didn't in my wildest imagination expected it to have stalled out this long.

Plus the drop with Yamato :sigh:

I can still record bets if anyone wants, since it was actually only Luffy's that ended up being revealed. Still leaves the potential to win very much up if you nail the rest!

Fun fact, only one poster got the exact bet correct for Luffy!

It was me.

RuBisCO posted:

good luck guessing chopper's

I won't be participating myself but here are my guesses for fun:

Luffy: 3,000,000,000
Zoro: 1,520,000,000
Nami: 366,000,000
Usopp: 500,000,000
Sanji: 1,330,000,000
Chopper: 1,000,000
Robin: 666,000,000
Franky: 840,000,000
Brook: 730,000,000
Jinbe: 1,080,000,000
Yamato: 1,210,000,000

Still wondering if something weird may happen with Yams but we'll see!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Bounty guesses:

Zoro
500,000,000 Berries

Nami
120,000,000 Berries

"God" Usopp
375,000,000 Berries

Sanji
450,000,000 Berries

Tony Tony Chopper
150 Berries

Nico Robin
190,000,000 Berries

Franky
160,000,000 Berries

Brook
175,000,000 Berries

Jinbe
540,000,000 Berries

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Do not post Small Yamato

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Going back in time almost two years to suggest "You say Yamato, I say Oden" as a thread title joke.

Was that ever used?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
One Piece Manga Thread: Dawn of the Final Saga