Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

freebooter posted:

I would've said Aliens

Didn't all the marines in Aliens get slaughtered due to overconfidence and the survivors were saved by a space trucker and a little girl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It's a thing because people have been raised on pro-military propaganda. It's not just because of the movie Starship Troopers; it's because we live in the kind of society that Starship Troopers depicts.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

thotsky posted:

It's a thing because people have been raised on pro-military propaganda. It's not just because of the movie Starship Troopers; it's because we live in the kind of society that Starship Troopers depicts.
Wait, Heinlein was trying to say something in his books? Who knew!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Wait, Heinlein was trying to say something in his books? Who knew!

well, it's the movie that's a parody. the book is more like an angry letter suggesting that useless academy graduates got a bunch of people killed for no reason in korea and Vietnam dressed up as a sci fi novel. frankly heinlein is probably right about that. it doesn't have much else to say politically from what i remember other than the generic veteran opinion that being in the military makes you special

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Larry Parrish posted:

well, it's the movie that's a parody. the book is more like an angry letter suggesting that useless academy graduates got a bunch of people killed for no reason in korea and Vietnam dressed up as a sci fi novel. frankly heinlein is probably right about that. it doesn't have much else to say politically from what i remember other than the generic veteran opinion that being in the military makes you special
there's some explicit railing against democracy but it's like, two pages when he's in the classroom, compared to just jackin off the military in general

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Western society fell, because we stopped beating our kids, is what I remember.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

genericnick posted:

Western society fell, because we stopped beating our kids, is what I remember.

i don't think people stopped that before he died, and definitely didn't stop that when he wrote the book lol

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

i don't think people stopped that before he died, and definitely didn't stop that when he wrote the book lol

Heinlein posted:

"Law-abiding people," Dubois had told us, "hardly dared go into a
public park at night. To do so was to risk attack by wolf packs of children,
armed with chains, knives, homemade guns, bludgeons . . . to be hurt at
least, robbed most certainly, injured for life probably -- or even killed.
This went on for years, right up to the war between the Russo-Anglo-American
Alliance and the Chinese Hegemony. Murder, drug addiction, larceny, assault,
and vandalism were commonplace. Nor were parks the only places -- these
things happened also on the streets in daylight, on school grounds, even
inside school buildings. But parks were so notoriously unsafe that honest
people stayed clear of them after dark."

These children were often
caught; police arrested batches each day. Were they scolded? Yes, often
scathingly. Were their noses rubbed in it? Rarely. News organs and officials
usually kept their names secret -- in many places the law so required for
criminals under eighteen. Were they spanked? Indeed not! Many had never been
spanked even as small children; there was a widespread belief that spanking,
or any punishment involving pain, did a child permanent psychic damage."
(I had reflected that my father must never have heard of that theory.)
"Corporal punishment in schools was forbidden by law," he had gone on.
"Flogging was lawful as sentence of court only in one small province,
Delaware, and there only for a few crimes and was rarely invoked; it was
regarded as `cruel and unusual punishment.'

Though it's been decades by this point and I didn't remember the context. It's the teacher guy giving a lecture, but I vaguely remembered it coming from an authorial voice?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
That lecture is absolutely intended as voice of author IMO, it's the closest the book gets to "definitive" history

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
It’s also written for the same reading level as the juveniles, poo poo Citizen of the Galaxy was IMO higher-level prose. And a better book.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

never reading heinlein seems like a good decision so far

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Doktor Avalanche posted:

never reading heinlein seems like a good decision so far
Nah you should read Heinlein's three good books, cause for their time they're not overly problematic, and they are classics.

Starship troopers has a weird "beat your children" and "military pseudofascism is the way to go", but also prominently says this ubermensch culture that's better than liberal democracy is full of child abduction/rape/murder and random street violence.

The moon is a harsh mistress is all about how libertarianism/anarchism is the way to go, but also prominently features group marriages to 13 year olds and the tacit acknowledgment that this only works with a Deus ex controlling everything behind the scenes.

Stranger in a strange land probably has a bunch of inherent contradictions but I never managed to finish it cause it's really kinda dry and boring. I keep getting told it's a classic though.

A better author might have written these contradictory things intentionally to make you think but Heinlein 100% just never noticed I'm sure.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Dune (#1) by Frank Herbert - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B7NPRY8/

A Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire #1) by George RR Martin - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QCS8TW/

Neptune's Brood by Charles Stross - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AR2RZ4K/

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RDM posted:

Nah you should read Heinlein's three good books, cause for their time they're not overly problematic, and they are classics.

Starship troopers has a weird "beat your children" and "military pseudofascism is the way to go", but also prominently says this ubermensch culture that's better than liberal democracy is full of child abduction/rape/murder and random street violence.

The moon is a harsh mistress is all about how libertarianism/anarchism is the way to go, but also prominently features group marriages to 13 year olds and the tacit acknowledgment that this only works with a Deus ex controlling everything behind the scenes.

Stranger in a strange land probably has a bunch of inherent contradictions but I never managed to finish it cause it's really kinda dry and boring. I keep getting told it's a classic though.

A better author might have written these contradictory things intentionally to make you think but Heinlein 100% just never noticed I'm sure.

stranger in a strange land is all about how actually not being a group sex enjoying old man is really more of a social construct. also i remember a really cringe scene where a middle eastern character gets mad at not-Heinlein for being a filthy westerner who can't understand morality and his self insert goes actually I've read the Quran in the original Arabic'

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Larry Parrish posted:

stranger in a strange land is all about how actually not being a group sex enjoying old man is really more of a social construct. also i remember a really cringe scene where a middle eastern character gets mad at not-Heinlein for being a filthy westerner who can't understand morality and his self insert goes actually I've read the Quran in the original Arabic'

It's been a long time since I read it but JOB: A Comedy of Justice didn't suck to me.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

CaptainCrunch posted:

Joel Shepherd's Spiral Wars?

Yeah. I think it might be okay popcorn if it weren't intentionally written as a doorstopper, but as it is, I just can't get into any of Shepherd's books. Can't win 'em all when it comes to pulp.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I enjoyed Artifact Space by Miles Cameron even though (because) it was a rags to riches brilliant-heroine-against-dastardly-villains story. I think I just felt so lovely about where the protagonist started that I was relieved to see her make friends, save the day and find love-ish. Sometimes a good ol catharsis is all right.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

General Battuta posted:

I enjoyed Artifact Space by Miles Cameron even though (because) it was a rags to riches brilliant-heroine-against-dastardly-villains story. I think I just felt so lovely about where the protagonist started that I was relieved to see her make friends, save the day and find love-ish. Sometimes a good ol catharsis is all right.

:same:

And then it practically ends on a cliffhanger :argh: Apparently he's planning two sequels, Deep Black and one as-yet-untitled one.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I'm incredibly burnt out on serious Malazan stories by Steven Erikson, and just want more Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, gay murderbros at large vs serious Malazan with it's incredible amount of wish-fullfillment/mary sue-style characters that keep cropping up.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

And then it practically ends on a cliffhanger :argh: Apparently he's planning two sequels, Deep Black and one as-yet-untitled one.

prioritising his (quite good) chivalry series though, with one book left to write before getting back to Deep Black and has written a sort of bronze age quasi historical piece in the meantime too.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

General Battuta posted:

Oh, that sounds like something I'd enjoy!

ToxicFrog posted:

Thanks for the heads-up! I've grabbed the first book on a certain audiobook site - to remind myself to grab the others once they're out and the series is finished.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

At least he writes fast. Counting all the books he writes as Christian Cameron, he's put out more than a book a year for the past decade and change.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Was there ever a conversation about Pierce Brown in this thread? I'm almost finished with the last book in the Red Rising trilogy and I can't believe I haven't heard of these books before. Theyre very well paced. The characters are all interesting. When people die, and they do a lot, they stay dead. After the first book it's like the Expanse meets Spartacus.

The only thing I can think of that might have turned people off was the on the nose world-building about social mobility and identity politics.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
It's come up a few times. I liked the first three books but didn't have much desire to start the second trilogy set 30 years later or whatever

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

AARD VARKMAN posted:

It's come up a few times. I liked the first three books but didn't have much desire to start the second trilogy set 30 years later or whatever

The first trilogy is a bit like Star Wars with fighting a mean Emperor. The second trilogy is about the messy business of actually trying to govern and I'm liking it a lot more than the first trilogy.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

There's one Heinlein book where everyone lives in a cool post scarcity utopia. I don't remember the whole plot but I think they want to build a giant orrery to model the solar system (or maybe the whole galaxy). The purpose of their government economy department is to try to spend as much money as possible because they have too much of it. It was bizarre because it had this almost star trek like idyllic future but also very particular gender roles - men were expected to walk around armed and challenge each other to duels for their honor, but women could wear a bulletproof vest or something. I recall the narrator comments once that so-and-so is cowardly because he wears a <technonabble>, like a WOMAN.

No idea what this book is called.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

VostokProgram posted:

There's one Heinlein book where everyone lives in a cool post scarcity utopia. I don't remember the whole plot but I think they want to build a giant orrery to model the solar system (or maybe the whole galaxy). The purpose of their government economy department is to try to spend as much money as possible because they have too much of it. It was bizarre because it had this almost star trek like idyllic future but also very particular gender roles - men were expected to walk around armed and challenge each other to duels for their honor, but women could wear a bulletproof vest or something. I recall the narrator comments once that so-and-so is cowardly because he wears a <technonabble>, like a WOMAN.

I think that's the novel that got published posthumously. For Us, the Living maybe.

EDIT: In googling this I'm reminded that For Us, the Living was his first novel that somebody went and found later to publish. I have also learned that the Heinlein estate has published an alternative version of Number of the Beast called Pursuit of Pankera that I guess has the same first 150-ish pages as the original but diverges completely from the first book after the Gay Deciever first jumps to an alternate reality.

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 22, 2022

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

_Beyond this Horizon_. Perhaps most notable as the source of the quote ‘an armed society is a polite society’.

Which, to be fair to Heinlein, does come from the mouth of a character who has never visited America.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Oh right, I forgot about that one.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Danhenge posted:

I have also learned that the Heinlein estate has published an alternative version of Number of the Beast called Pursuit of Pankera that I guess has the same first 150-ish pages as the original but diverges completely from the first book after the Gay Deciever first jumps to an alternate reality.

Too many uses of Burroughs and Doc Smith to clear the rights, IIRC.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ulmont posted:

Oh yeah, it'd have been a copyright nightmare - I found it pleasantly if problematically quaint.

Which, now that I think about it, probably describes my feelings on Heinlein pretty well!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

ulmont posted:

Doesn’t the actual Number of the Beast novel have huge Burroughs/Lensman fanfic sections? Or is that what the new one cuts out?

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Magician: Apprentice (Riftwar #1) by Raymond E Feist - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073TJ3J3J/

How Long 'til Black Future Month? by NK Jemisin - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FSLQXY8/

The Gate of Gods (Fall of Ile-Rien #3) by Martha Wells - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FCKIAA/

Kiki's Delivery Service by Eiko Kadono - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZC78XZF/

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

MartingaleJack posted:

Was there ever a conversation about Pierce Brown in this thread? I'm almost finished with the last book in the Red Rising trilogy and I can't believe I haven't heard of these books before. Theyre very well paced. The characters are all interesting. When people die, and they do a lot, they stay dead. After the first book it's like the Expanse meets Spartacus.

The only thing I can think of that might have turned people off was the on the nose world-building about social mobility and identity politics.

Is it the kind of on-the-nose where it'll make you sad by reminding you that real life is awful?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

navyjack posted:

Doesn’t the actual Number of the Beast novel have huge Burroughs/Lensman fanfic sections? Or is that what the new one cuts out?

That’s what was cut out for the published version. Like even in published they briefly see Burroughs/Lensman worlds but in the original that’s where the back half of the book stays.

https://www.tor.com/2020/04/09/long-lost-treasure-the-pursuit-of-the-pankera-vs-the-number-of-the-beast-by-robert-a-heinlein/

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

VostokProgram posted:

Even after all the answers clarifying what Heinlein story that possibly was, that vague description feels like it came straight from one EE Smith's Skylark of Space books.
Which makes sense since Robert Heinlein and EE Smith were best-friends-forever in reality.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

It was definitely Beyond This Horizon, for the record. I remembered that once radmonger posted it

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

VostokProgram posted:

Is it the kind of on-the-nose where it'll make you sad by reminding you that real life is awful?

It's almost cartoonish in that aspect, it didn't really make me think about how hosed capitalism is I don't think. But I'm also terrible at critical thinking when it comes to media I consume.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

More specifically, Skylark DuQuesne.
The main white male "hero" lead of the series beams down to that planet layered head to toe in disguised forcefield technology and and frees a bunch of plot relevant psychic romani women by effortlessly shooting down anyone who gets in their way.

There is a solar system sized orrery in Skylark DuQuesne too, and it is used to real-time monitor the enemy galaxy's status of being destroyed like how shift worker check-in/check-out tags work in a coal or salt mine.

The psychic romani women are needed because amped up by super-technology they allow the 2 white hero leads + the series villain to form a group-mind that can literally transport planets and suns across billions of lightyears within pico-seconds so that an entire galaxy of evil aliens that threaten to discredit the white male American way of life can be genocided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

quantumfoam posted:

More specifically, Skylark DuQuesne.
The main white male "hero" lead of the series beams down to that planet layered head to toe in disguised forcefield technology and and frees a bunch of plot relevant psychic romani women by effortlessly shooting down anyone who gets in their way.

There is a solar system sized orrery in Skylark DuQuesne too, and it is used to real-time monitor the enemy galaxy's status of being destroyed like how shift worker check-in/check-out tags work in a coal or salt mine.

The psychic romani women are needed because amped up by super-technology they allow the 2 white hero leads + the series villain to form a group-mind that can literally transport planets and suns across billions of lightyears within pico-seconds so that an entire galaxy of evil aliens that threaten to discredit the white male American way of life can be genocided.

Iirc in lensman they were hurling anti matter planets at each other by the third book, and it kept escalating from there