Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

karthun posted:

I've always been skeptical of the hydrogen economy after it was pushed HARD by the Bush administration. The promise was always electrolysis but the goal was steam reformation of methane and that CCS will be 10 years away. It's now been over 20 years and CCS is still 10 years away. And I don't trust you that electrolysis will be more efficient than steam reformation.

you have matched the keywords of what im talking about while not understanding what I'm talking about

we are talking about what a wind or solar farm does with all its curtailment after renewables have gotten deep penetration (say 50%) of the grid

none of it ever leaves the site, it has nothing to do with distribution, it has nothing to do with any existing market or supply chain besides the grid. it has nothing to do with the bush administration, it has nothing to do with CCs.

MightyBigMinus fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

MightyBigMinus posted:

none of it ever leaves the site, it has nothing to do with distribution, it has nothing to do with any existing market or supply chain besides the grid

Aren't they already experimenting with mixing hydrogen into natural gas used for home heating etc? That'd also be a pretty decent use case to deal with excess generation capacity, to minimise curtailment.

Another thing that will be steadily more relevant is desalination of salt water for potable water.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

MightyBigMinus posted:

you have matched the keywords of what im talking about while not understanding what I'm talking about

we are talking about what a wind or solar farm does with all its curtailment after renewables have gotten deep penetration (say 50%) of the grid

none of it ever leaves the site, it has nothing to do with distribution, it has nothing to do with any existing market or supply chain besides the grid

And how many wind and solar farms have this installed currently? I'm guessing some experimental setups but nothing in production. What will really happen is that power companies will bid out super cheap electricity rates for the next few hours if they are seeing an oversupply. High electrical intensity users that can deal with intermittency will buy up the electrical contract for pennies on the Mw-hr and your curtailment systems will never kick in. This dog and pony show was pushed by the Bush administration 20 years ago.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Wibla posted:

Aren't they already experimenting with mixing hydrogen into natural gas used for home heating etc? That'd also be a pretty decent use case to deal with excess generation capacity, to minimise curtailment.

Another thing that will be steadily more relevant is desalination of salt water for potable water.

Yep but it's grey hydrogen produced from natural gas. It's literally less efficient than just burning methane because hydrogen has greater losses during storage and transport. Don't worry, CCS will come out by 2012 at the latest.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dameius posted:

Literally anything else other than nuclear, no matter the cost/feasibility.

Since we live in hellworld, they are going to use toxic waste rather than water and let it spill after a few years, for that sweet schadenfreude on people clamoring to make warehouses able to last until the heat death of the universe for nuclear waste.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

karthun posted:

Yep but it's grey hydrogen produced from natural gas. It's literally less efficient than just burning methane because hydrogen has greater losses during storage and transport. Don't worry, CCS will come out by 2012 at the latest.

I should have been clearer in my previous post, I am referring to mixing in hydrogen from electrolysis in this instance, there would be no point in making hydrogen from natural gas and then mixing that back into the natural gas lines going out to consumers :cripes:

E: Seems this method has issues, so we'll see what actually happens with it.

There's also this research project that seems very promising to generate hydrogen from natural gas with direct CO2 capture, I think I've mentioned it before.

Wibla fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 21, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Wibla posted:

I should have been clearer in my previous post, I am referring to mixing in hydrogen from electrolysis in this instance, there would be no point in making hydrogen from natural gas and then mixing that back into the natural gas lines going out to consumers :cripes:

methane to hydrogen is getting grants and financing in multiple european countries if the energy used in the process comes from renewables, so karthun strategy would mean extra profits for shell and friends.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

SlowBloke posted:

methane to hydrogen is getting grants and financing in multiple european countries if the energy used in the process comes from renewables, so karthun strategy would mean extra profits for shell and friends.

I don't actually give a poo poo about paying Shell or Equinor for natural gas if that natural gas is used to generate hydrogen with carbon capture, like I mentioned in the post above. It still beats burning it directly.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
hasn't been said in this exact thread though that that process is still more carbon intensive somehow than just burning it directly

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Wibla posted:

E: Seems this method has issues, so we'll see what actually happens with it.

There's also this research project that seems very promising to generate hydrogen from natural gas with direct CO2 capture, I think I've mentioned it before.
Several plants in the multi-MW range exist in Germany that are producing hydrogen or methane via renewable electricity and feeding it into the normal natural gas infrastructure. Way more capacity is needed, but it is working on an industrial scale.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 21, 2022

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

mediaphage posted:

hasn't been said in this exact thread though that that process is still more carbon intensive somehow than just burning it directly
Yeah so...

the article posted:

“Currently established methods have energy efficiency ratings of between 70 and 75 percent, but our approach has a potential efficiency of 90 percent”, says Harald Malerød-Fjeld at CoorsTek Membrane Sciences in Oslo. “The end product is compressed hydrogen with a high degree of purity. The ceramic membrane reactor also separates carbon dioxide more efficiently, enabling the greenhouse gas to be easily transported and sequestered”, he says.
Further down:

the article posted:

A major problem associated with steam reforming is that the process is energy-demanding and takes place in several stages. It also has CO2 as a by-product. The new technology, on the other hand, requires no external heat to drive the steam reforming process. A key to the new process is that heat is produced automatically when the hydrogen is being pumped through the ceramic membrane. In this way the heat is generated exactly where it is needed.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

MightyBigMinus posted:

it will absolutely without a doubt certainly be cheaper than li-ion storage >10hr and by definition cheaper than idling spent capital (wind & solar capacity) when again they could be making literally *anything* more than zero.

as if there isn't a distribution network around electricity? why did you move the goalposts... hell thats not even moving the goal post thats just confusing two separate topics.

seriously what the gently caress are you even talking about here? the topic of conversation is wether or not round trip efficiency of renewables (esp solar) ->hydrogen -> electricity will prevent adoption/commercialization. if you think thats true then theres zero point zero loving chance that things that are *less* efficient would therefore be *more* economical ways to use that energy. like, you're very literally disagreeing with yourself here.

quite

You were talking about using curtailed electricity to create hydrogen as a storage mechanism ignoring turnaround efficiency* because the power is essentially free. It is very fanciful as noted by others so while we are being fanciful, I extended it to say why do hydrogen when you can just do hydrocarbons which can be transported and stored in tanks, can be burnt in current and even older generators that are burning hydrocarbons this very day. It also has the added benefit of being able to be used in jets, boats and other things that there is no sensible renewable solution for yet.

The USN actually worked out it could do this on nuclear carriers using seawater as the source for carbon. Just that an aircraft carrier has bigger priorities for space aboard than reducing the number of replenishments at sea it needs.

MightyBigMinus posted:

when renewables (especially solar) exceed marginal amounts of the energy supply there will be soooooooooo much loving curtailment that it doesn't matter if electricity->hydrogen->electricity is ONE percent efficient, if its free loving money its free loving money. spare capacity will be monetized however the gently caress they can and every loving penny of it will be profit.

edit: its like saying "photosynthesis is only 2 - 3% efficient so it sucks and will never go anywhere"

VVV that is the biggest issue with curtailed renewable power, it is way too peaky and any sort of chemical plant wants to run around the clock. Even RO plants which are relatively easy to spin up and down don't like it VVV

Electric Wrigglies fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 21, 2022

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Even if the electricity is free and 1% efficiency is enough to get a benefit, building the industrial facilities to actually use the energy isn't anywhere close to free. Building a plant that can turn air + water + energy into sugars or hydrogen or hydrocarbons isn't cheap. If you only get to turn your factory on when there would be curtailment otherwise, it's even more expensive to build the infrastructure that you don't use all the time.

I can't imagine inventing an automated, industrial process to electrolyze hydrogen or perform industrial photosynthesis is going to be cheap, let alone actually building and operating the factories. It's a chicken/egg problem; if we need something enough to build a billion-dollar factory to make it, we don't want to just get half as much as we actually need, and if we don't need something enough to warrant building a billion dollar factory ahead of time, we can't just toss extra electricity at it every once in a while to get free stuff.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Apparently it wasn't too expensive, as it has already been invented and the first commercial sites have been running for several years already. The advantage of power to gas (whether hydrogen, or even more so methane) is that the infrastructure to store and use it already exists.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

GABA ghoul posted:

As far as long term storage is concerned, hydrogen from electrolysis might become a practical solution by that point. Maybe not from a market perspective, but if there is a regulatory demand to keep a certain amount of it storage for energy security reasons it could be a solution. The energy market is already heavily regulated with security in mind today.
Hydrogen is very difficult to store. You either have to keep it liquid at only a few degrees above absolute zero, which is much more expensive than the comparatively balmy temps of LNG, or have it in high-pressure vessels, which is still very low energy-density. Either way, you're looking at huge inputs, both environmental and economic.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

MightyBigMinus posted:

by definition cheaper than idling spent capital (wind & solar capacity) when again they could be making literally *anything* more than zero.

It's absolutely possible that just idling renewables could be cheaper. Even assuming that you get the power to run the electrolyzer for free, capital and operating costs can be higher than the expected price you get at the exchange for the stored electricity. You would be operating your storage at a loss.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

It's absolutely possible that just idling renewables could be cheaper. Even assuming that you get the power to run the electrolyzer for free, capital and operating costs can be higher than the expected price you get at the exchange for the stored electricity. You would be operating your storage at a loss.

If long term carbon storage works, and to say the least I am skeptical that is does, then the best thing would be to run direct air capture of CO2 using the spare energy rather then running an electrolyzer or steam reformation of methane.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

These guys seem to be doing cool stuff with renewables and hydrogen, and they have started several projects in iberia.

Jurys still out if its cost efective though.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/german-minister-rules-out-keeping-nuclear-plants-running-save-gas-2022-08-21/

The German economy minister has ruled out not shutting down the nuclear plants. Things are going to get fun in Europe this winter.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

quote:

Separately to the debate over gas savings measures, Habeck said he was open to extending the lifespan of one nuclear power plant in Bavaria if a stress test showed this was necessary to ensure the stability and supply of the electricity network in winter, he said.

German Chancellor Olaf Scholz said the result of the stress test should come towards the end of the month, or the beginning of next month - and only then would a decision be made.

The situation in France, where nearly half its reactors are offline because of corrosion problems and maintenance, showed how problematic the technology was though, he said.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
ah yes maintenance. good thing no gas plants require maintenance eh

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
anyone have any info on China's SMRs? At least from the video it looks like construction is well on its way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw_NVKoFHvE

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

mediaphage posted:

ah yes maintenance. good thing no gas plants require maintenance eh

Maintance and similar predictable outages are the nuclear waste of renewables.

By that I mean that Nuclear has to plan for waste disposal in ways that other energy sources can wave away even while radioactive coal slack poisons rivers.
Similarly Renewables have to provide redundancy and storage for outages while turbine power can just handwave it away while syncronized outages of those shut down a grid.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I'm not sure of the maintenance schedule for the French reactors and I know historically the French built them efficiently but operating them was different (longer outages, over manning, etc).

Is there a chance the French are just knocking over a lot of maintenance pre-winter ready to run them bad boys flat out and at great profit?

VictualSquid posted:

Maintance and similar predictable outages are the nuclear waste of renewables.

By that I mean that Nuclear has to plan for waste disposal in ways that other energy sources can wave away even while radioactive coal slack poisons rivers.
Similarly Renewables have to provide redundancy and storage for outages while turbine power can just handwave it away while syncronized outages of those shut down a grid.

That's a little unfair as historically when people weren't opposed to coal or nuclear in say Australia or France respectively, there was never any outages of much scale simply because of the orderly construction, buildout and replacement of generating plants.

Everyone got onboard the no new coal or nuclear power stations, now you hate coal and nuclear because they weren't allowed to continue building out sufficient to have a good mix of new, medium and old and end-of-life redundant power stations?

Electric Wrigglies fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 22, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Infinite Karma posted:

Even if the electricity is free and 1% efficiency is enough to get a benefit, building the industrial facilities to actually use the energy isn't anywhere close to free. Building a plant that can turn air + water + energy into sugars or hydrogen or hydrocarbons isn't cheap.

We can get specific here, where the real world stand-in for your hypothetical example of air+water+energy = food would be the Haber process, whereby 5% of extracted natural gas is used to provide both the enthalpy and hydrogen to manufacture nitrogenous fertilizers. Humanity is fed at present largely due to the prevalence of this process.

link

There are alternatives to the Haber process that crack and fix the nitrogen through other means. Without natgas as a precursor, they're energy intensive; a ballpark figure derivable from "about 5% of our natgas makes food fertilizers" is that we'd be looking at single digit percentages of humanity's already-strained energy output being dedicated to whatever alternative processes we can come up with to unfuck our carbon dependence for nitrogen fixation.

Clearly, again, that means we should be turning off clean power sources lol lmao

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Is there a chance the French are just knocking over a lot of maintenance pre-winter ready to run them bad boys flat out and at great profit?

Covid lockdowns made them postpone a lot of maintenance, now it's all catching up, plus they found extra issues in their aging plants that also needs fixing.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Whoever uncritically linked the CO2 concrete tower energy arbitrage needs to do even a cursory investigation into non-grifter academic works thoroughly trashing the concept as extremely high maintenance, low density, low throughput fraud that exists to collect VC money and live the easy life maintaining a few demo towers collecting exploratory technologies credits and grants that'll never go anywhere significant.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

That's a little unfair as historically when people weren't opposed to coal or nuclear in say Australia or France respectively, there was never any outages of much scale simply because of the orderly construction, buildout and replacement of generating plants.

Everyone got onboard the no new coal or nuclear power stations, now you hate coal and nuclear because they weren't allowed to continue building out sufficient to have a good mix of new, medium and old and end-of-life redundant power stations?

I haven't looked into what is happening in France right now exactly.
But for example the outage after it snowed on the turbines in texas was mostly caused by their organisational culture.
There were solar plants nearby that predicted that they have to turn off a week in advance. And the gas plants guranteed that they can keep running, so nobody worried. Their culture of assuming that 100% uptime and name plate power is possible and necessary makes it impossible for them to predict outages. And I assumed that a similar culture is responsible for the lack of maintance staggering in France.
And the other half was of course the lacking long range power grid. After all only renewables need an interconnected power grid. France sanely has that part which is why they currently buy renewable power from Germany while their nukes are down for maintance.

My actual point is that both renwables and nuclear are done a disservice by them having to plan for unlikely worst cases and having to make extreme far future predictions that are intrinsically unrealistic due to simple time span. While coal and gas get away with just handwaving them away.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

VictualSquid posted:

While coal and gas get away with just handwaving them away.

The handwaved cost of sequestering emissions factors into this as well.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

His Divine Shadow posted:

Covid lockdowns made them postpone a lot of maintenance, now it's all catching up, plus they found extra issues in their aging plants that also needs fixing.

They should also probably replace a lot of the instrumentation that was not rated for near-freezing temperatures.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I'm not sure of the maintenance schedule for the French reactors and I know historically the French built them efficiently but operating them was different (longer outages, over manning, etc).

France uses almost waaaay more power in winters than during the summers (heating? more light?) so I assume they'd normally do all maintenance and refueling during the summer. No idea why could would cause anyone to postpone maintenance of a loving nuclear plant though :)

Last August

Last February

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Potato Salad posted:

We can get specific here, where the real world stand-in for your hypothetical example of air+water+energy = food would be the Haber process, whereby 5% of extracted natural gas is used to provide both the enthalpy and hydrogen to manufacture nitrogenous fertilizers. Humanity is fed at present largely due to the prevalence of this process.

link

There are alternatives to the Haber process that crack and fix the nitrogen through other means. Without natgas as a precursor, they're energy intensive; a ballpark figure derivable from "about 5% of our natgas makes food fertilizers" is that we'd be looking at single digit percentages of humanity's already-strained energy output being dedicated to whatever alternative processes we can come up with to unfuck our carbon dependence for nitrogen fixation.
I'm familiar with the Haber process, that's a good example. The question is, are "the alternatives" chemical pathways that are performed manually or semi-manually in a lab? Or are there established industrial automated processes to harvest and crack nitrogen from the air (or whatever the non-carbon source would be) and likewise for oxygen and hydrogen, presumably from oceans/lakes/rivers?

My understanding is that we have the scientific knowledge to make nitrogen fertilizers from atmospheric N2 and oceanic H2O from first principles, that's not that complex. But have we invented working machines where you can flip a switch (because there's excess power to run it) to start sucking in air and water from the environment (or getting them trucked in from an offsite facility that does the same), and have that multi-step chemical process performed on an industrial level to spit out ammonia and nitrate from a pipe on the other end? I think we haven't yet, and my original point was those factories are going to be expensive, expensive enough that we'd rather run them at full capacity as often as possible, and have extra renewable generation to make up the energy shortfall, than to idle the nuHaber plant so our energy grid is more efficient.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Infinite Karma posted:

My understanding is that we have the scientific knowledge to make nitrogen fertilizers from atmospheric N2 and oceanic H2O from first principles, that's not that complex. But have we invented working machines where you can flip a switch (because there's excess power to run it) to start sucking in air and water from the environment (or getting them trucked in from an offsite facility that does the same), and have that multi-step chemical process performed on an industrial level to spit out ammonia and nitrate from a pipe on the other end?

You've got industrial chemical synthesis nailed pretty well here. We can make drat near anything in a lab with time and great expertise for the weight of product. Like, here's the viral replication inhibitor in Paxlovid:

Just look at this fucken thing. No wonder it's so unbearably difficult to manufacture at scale.

So, yes, there's numerous ways to create nitrogenous fertilizers. Many. The question concerns which is easiest to plumb together with as few reactors as possible that are as simple as possible at "Effectively all food on Earth depends on this" scale.

It's going to be a hell of an optimization problem compounded with a capital investment problem, all sitting atop the question of where all that new power capacity is going to be installed and how all these new reagents are going to be sourced.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 23, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

it's the kind of problem that takes an industry decades to sort out through trial and error and iteration and logistics optimization

and that's just one tiny slice of the challenge of tackling food stability in a climate disaster world

This is the main reason why my policy stance is "buy every smart grid connection, every solar cell, every windmill, every hydro plant expansion, every nuke we can build or queue today, on debt spending." Right now, money is cheaper to take out on debt for these kinds of projects then it will be as this pickle continues to sour and the disaster worsens, and the time to worry about the energy generation component of these problems is right the hell now. Every watt of new capacity is going to be in critical demand in 5, 10, 15 years from now as power generation and transport infrastructure that we start breaking ground on today come online in earnest and at scale.

Further, cheap and abundant energy generation is exceptionally attractive to business, and it is fantastically surprising to me that our conservative voters in general have been hoodwinked into fearing the kind of industrial policies that would combat offshoring and foster domestic manufacturing capacity.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 23, 2022

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
There are alternative pathways for nitrogen fixation, but the Haber process only uses natural gas in order to produce hydrogen. If hydrogen were being produced by electrolysis plants from just electricity, it would make the Haber process simpler. Methane doesn't affect the important part, which is literally just
N2+3H2->2NH3
and using methane means you need a steam reforming section, a water-shift section, and a CO2 scrubber section, before you get to the actual ammonia-producing section.

Electrolysis is more expensive than methane reformation, in part because we tend to make electricity from natural gas anyway, in part because electrolysis has fairly large capital costs, but there's no real obstacle besides price to keep us from doing it on an industrial scale. My guess is other pathways wouldn't be as efficient as electrolysis anyway. Like look what was in the news today, Germany wants to buy hydrogen from Canada produced by wind power, and part of the plan is to use the hydrogen to make ammonia.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Does anyone have any good and reliable studies on the problems of large scale energy storage, what kind of resources it'll require and if it's feasible or not.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Yeah, I'd be interested in sources on that too. I would award bonus points for sources which:

1) Are more recent and capture the more up-to-date developments in electricity/energy technology
2) Are technology-agnostic, and aren't written by authors who are ideologically committed to securing the existence of nuclear power plants and a future for nuclear electricity

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

Does anyone have any good and reliable studies on the problems of large scale energy storage, what kind of resources it'll require and if it's feasible or not.

https://www.iea.org/reports/the-role-of-critical-minerals-in-clean-energy-transitions/executive-summary

Lots of good general materials information here, with more digging they may have specifics about storage materials somewhere.

E: they have a very nice inputs chart for generation. We can probably find a figure on what % needs to be stored and extrapolate a bit from there if we can't find a good source that did it already.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 25, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Are there specific recent developments you have in mind, s_k?

Also any authors you wish to conflate with Nazis in advance, rather than after they are cited?

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I did find this which has some numbers:
https://www.nsenergybusiness.com/features/energy-storage-analysing-feasibility-grid-scale-options/