Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

gonadic io posted:

For reference the moving lorry alone cost me £2-3k, then a few hundred for the ferry and of course finding somewhere to rent with pets was extremely difficult.

This doesn't include buying/selling costs if applicable and also I was lucky enough that my job supported my country move and switch to full remote so I didn't have to worry about finding a job quickly when here.

My wife is an Irish-born GP who is so massively disillusioned with the NHS it's a struggle to motivate her to leave the house in the morning, and my company has an Irish office so I could in theory port my job there

The only thing stopping me is my indoor cats and the logistical difficulties of moving them. I'd probably have to rehome them here, I don't know anyone well enough to get them to take them on until we're settled in another country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

And now imagine how much worse things would be with Jeremy Corbyn as PM!

Sigh

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Betjeman posted:

My wife is an Irish-born GP who is so massively disillusioned with the NHS it's a struggle to motivate her to leave the house in the morning, and my company has an Irish office so I could in theory port my job there

The only thing stopping me is my indoor cats and the logistical difficulties of moving them. I'd probably have to rehome them here, I don't know anyone well enough to get them to take them on until we're settled in another country

Moving with mine wasn't impossible, just requires phoning enough estate agents until you find a landlord that does allow pets (probably in the country) and then a full days car journey with them. Then some vet forms and another 100 euro. I certainly wouldn't say to re-home them

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

lmao

Betjeman posted:

hey can your wife do me a prescription for 5% off my power bills

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i think i can fit all my poo poo i want to keep on one or two pallets. can't really keep the electronics other than the high value stuff, not keeping furniture.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

90s Cringe Rock posted:

hey can your wife do me a prescription for 5% off my power bills

The GP has gone from being a medical centre to managing the workload of social services, the police, and now apparently the benefits office.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
every time you cut a service it's still needed, it's just run by someone who ultimately shouldn't be doing it. it gets worse and worse until everything is not figuratively run by cops

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
My issue with leaving the UK is it seems like every other country is also a terrible shithole

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Jose posted:

So she's been missing a while now. She phoned 999 for help and cops turned up and called for an ambulance then promptly hosed off before it arrived. The met really is a massive danger to the public

https://twitter.com/melissasigodo/status/1561059760501407748?t=vU-fp4YLm6PRvx36Papl1Q&s=19

Not that they are not but haven’t there been extreme cuts to police (along with everything else) so in their very limited defence they may have thought they had other places to use their limited services. I’ll say at least in the USA our bourgeoisie remember you need a appearance of order.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

:lol:. Might visit you guys next year. Man I’ll be making pounds on the dollar. Hell I’ll be able to afford gdubs poo poo over in your marshy demon land.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
my flat has a spare room i could get a lodger for lol

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I moved to ireland with my cat and it was made simpler by just not telling my landlord I was going to bring a cat

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

then I got ANOTHER cat and didnt tell that guy again

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
One weird trick, landlords hate this.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1561671271431213062

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Boris Johnson's spokesman could announce the sun will rise tomorrow & I'd start to panic.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

:lol: not his problem.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
There will be adequate gas.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

My issue with leaving the UK is it seems like every other country is also a terrible shithole

yes but they have a future and there are less british people

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

bitmap posted:

then I got ANOTHER cat and didnt tell that guy again

How many cats did you get before he finally found out? I assume there's probably a limit. Maybe 80 cats, that would probably get in yhe local news and your landlord might see it.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i am genuinely against doomposting i wasn't kidding previously, lol. i don't think we're going to go lord of the flies. but the next few years are going to be extremely hard due to the choices we have already made and your earning potential will be diminished if you have to live here. this winter will be particularly challenging due to the cascading issues, we still haven't cleared a covid winter yet remember and the nhs is going into winter crisis in august - a lot of consequences are landing at once.

people who have to live here it's not the end of the world, but like if you have access to somewhere else you have a strong incentive rn, imo.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Everyone else is doomposting, I'm just being realistic

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

CoolCab posted:

i am genuinely against doomposting i wasn't kidding previously, lol. i don't think we're going to go lord of the flies. but the next few years are going to be extremely hard due to the choices we have already made and your earning potential will be diminished if you have to live here. this winter will be particularly challenging due to the cascading issues, we still haven't cleared a covid winter yet remember and the nhs is going into winter crisis in august - a lot of consequences are landing at once.

people who have to live here it's not the end of the world, but like if you have access to somewhere else you have a strong incentive rn, imo.

my friend and his med student wife are currently in the USA and plan to move to Scotland in a year or so. she’s figured out how to do her medical residency in emergency brain surgery or whatever over there.

I’m told the plus side is fewer gunshot wounds (more stabbings?) and shorter hours (better than the 80 hour weeks a baby doctor faces in America). will the nhs be treating her better? are they making a mistake?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The NHS in Scotland is slightly less hosed than in England & Wales

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

mawarannahr posted:

my friend and his med student wife are currently in the USA and plan to move to Scotland in a year or so. she’s figured out how to do her medical residency in emergency brain surgery or whatever over there.

I’m told the plus side is fewer gunshot wounds (more stabbings?) and shorter hours (better than the 80 hour weeks a baby doctor faces in America). will the nhs be treating her better? are they making a mistake?

no idea in terms of medical residency, what do you get paid for that? i would almost across the board expect your compensation to be worse in the NHS or UK generally outside of some private places unless you are working agency or something, and even then if you were willing to travel as medical staff in the US you'd probably make more from what i've heard. no idea about hours. the nhs will treat her like garbage, but i mean i hear american healthcare is generally worse so kind of i dunno mixed?

i would tell them to look very carefully at the current cost of energy and in particular the trend it has taken over the last few years when they are doing financial calculations. whatever solution is applied to address the crisis may not apply to someone there on a visa, idk my mum had No Recourse to Public Funds or some poo poo on hers for ages.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

neurosurgeons routinely make $1M+ in the US but their lifestyle tends to be horrible

my guess is nhs lifestyle better but compensation a fraction

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

thanks all

CoolCab posted:

no idea in terms of medical residency, what do you get paid for that? i would almost across the board expect your compensation to be worse in the NHS or UK generally outside of some private places unless you are working agency or something, and even then if you were willing to travel as medical staff in the US you'd probably make more from what i've heard. no idea about hours. the nhs will treat her like garbage, but i mean i hear american healthcare is generally worse so kind of i dunno mixed?

I think she did some kind of pre-resident internship at a hospital in an underserved area in an American city and that’s scaring her off. he does some tech company bs so they’ll probably be comfortable.

quote:

i would tell them to look very carefully at the current cost of energy and in particular the trend it has taken over the last few years when they are doing financial calculations. whatever solution is applied to address the crisis may not apply to someone there on a visa, idk my mum had No Recourse to Public Funds or some poo poo on hers for ages.

he’s English so I assume she’ll get some benefit from that and maybe citizenship. apparently the residency accepts American medical degrees. I’ll ask him his thoughts on the energy stuff but I don’t think he really follows the news much!

lol if they get kicked out with scexit :britain:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

There will be sufficient canned eels

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

mawarannahr posted:

thanks all

I think she did some kind of pre-resident internship at a hospital in an underserved area in an American city and that’s scaring her off. he does some tech company bs so they’ll probably be comfortable.

he’s English so I assume she’ll get some benefit from that and maybe citizenship. apparently the residency accepts American medical degrees. I’ll ask him his thoughts on the energy stuff but I don’t think he really follows the news much!

there were no plans at last indyref more complex than "everyone living here now legally is now also scottish" fwiw. i don't think he'd be kicked out.

if you're someone who could live anywhere - in fact if you're a remote london worker with that salary, there are parts of the UK that still make some sense. there aren't a ton imo but there are some.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Working in the (English and Welsh) NHS as a junior doctor is hellish unless you give up half way through training and live life as a lowly but well compensated locum registrar, or make it to consultant when you get to force your own hours and call the shots, as well as sit on the boards of private medical companies and help dismantle everything.

In short, training posts are miserable, focused on service provision rather than training, and getting longer and lower paid because people keep leaving. It's going to get worse because the fewer people who make it to consultant, the fewer training posts there can be, so people remain in training or locum for longer and get pissed off and quit and become a middle manager in pharmaceutical research or emigrate or something. The government's response isn't to improve this, rather to relax the requirements for doctors to be present during diagnosis and recovery and instead retrain bioscience students to become "physician's associates". They are also trying to relax prescribing laws and allow people without full medical license manage long term care as well. A bit like getting someone with a provisional moped license to cover the HGV driver shortage.

Meanwhile universities are crying poor and giving as many medical degree places to international students as possible.

Betjeman has issued a correction as of 16:21 on Aug 22, 2022

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jose posted:

my flat has a spare room i could get a lodger for lol
the more people who share a flat, the cheaper it's gonna be to heat.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

the more people who share a flat, the cheaper it's gonna be to heat.

Penguins Know How To Survive The Cold - Why Don't We Learn From Them

my article in The Telegraph

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

keep punching joe posted:

The NHS in Scotland is slightly less hosed than in England & Wales

It was for a while but its hosed here too. My partner caught covid having to travel from Glasgow to Edinburgh to get a really simple medical procedure done cause nowhere nearby could do it.

My own gp is just impossible to make an appointment with and put you on year long waiting lists that never get back to you.

And obviously dentists haven't existed since 2019.

I think prescriptions are still free at least?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

It was for a while but its hosed here too. My partner caught covid having to travel from Glasgow to Edinburgh to get a really simple medical procedure done cause nowhere nearby could do it.

My own gp is just impossible to make an appointment with and put you on year long waiting lists that never get back to you.

And obviously dentists haven't existed since 2019.

I think prescriptions are still free at least?

Yeah, free prescriptions are a literal lifesaver. If I had to pay for my brain meds I'd have absolutely gone off them at some point in the past 7 years.

Every other element of the Health Service is hosed though. Ultimately it's 40 years of being underfunded coming to bite, predictably. Mental health care in particular is just loving useless. I'm glad I get my prescription but getting any where but some lovely self-guided CBT 6 week course is close to impossible, & I dunno about anyone else but when I get depressed there's this short window where it's bad enough that I feel I can justify making an appointment but not bad enough that I still have the required motivation to travel 2 hours by bus (well, most of that is waiting for a connection but still) & then have another 20 minute walk to where any medical professional higher than a GP are based.

I think my most doomer opinion for the last decade or so is that the window for fixing the NHS in a way that is remotely politically viable considering where our major parties lie has already shut. You're talking major tax rises in every bracket, opening up the borders practically to find enough enough people to fill the necessary vacancies in the medical professions, all things that are about as likely to happen under either Labour or Tories as nationalising the water & power companies.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
a lot of stuff became kind of politically impossible in this country on friday the 13th i'd say for at least a generation, at least via conventional parliamentary means. i legit do not think people really understood what they were blowing up.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

CoolCab posted:

a lot of stuff became kind of politically impossible in this country on friday the 13th i'd say for at least a generation, at least via conventional parliamentary means. i legit do not think people really understood what they were blowing up.

see also: June 23rd, 2016

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

thanks all

Betjeman posted:

Working in the (English and Welsh) NHS as a junior doctor is hellish unless you give up half way through training and live life as a lowly but well compensated locum registrar, or make it to consultant when you get to force your own hours and call the shots, as well as sit on the boards of private medical companies and help dismantle everything.

In short, training posts are miserable, focused on service provision rather than training, and getting longer and lower paid because people keep leaving. It's going to get worse because the fewer people who make it to consultant, the fewer training posts there can be, so people remain in training or locum for longer and get pissed off and quit and become a middle manager in pharmaceutical research or emigrate or something. The government's response isn't to improve this, rather to relax the requirements for doctors to be present during diagnosis and recovery and instead retrain bioscience students to become "physician's associates". They are also trying to relax prescribing laws and allow people without full medical license manage long term care as well. A bit like getting someone with a provisional moped license to cover the HGV driver shortage.

Meanwhile universities are crying poor and giving as many medical degree places to international students as possible.

working as an NHS junior doctor is grim but still miles ahead of US medical residency. you're paid less on paper but you're not paying through the nose for student loans and medical indemnity, the hours are much better and you get the warm fuzzy feeling from knowing you aren't literally bankrupting people in exchange for your services. British medical training is absolutely in a death spiral but the American residents I met on my elective were some of the most burned out miserable people in existence.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

https://twitter.com/scotfoodjames/status/1561459677543944192

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

https://twitter.com/flowers_s/status/1561681960736624643?s=21&t=CMYOwmQEBuLBno-KdA7IDQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

lol