Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Those oak beams look fuckin sick mate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
I like the censoring of the guy's face in the shot of you placing the first beam. Nicely done :hfive:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Yeah lol, I dunno I'm not very good at bothering, but it kind of didn't feel fair to put up people's pictures however small and tiny without permission. They probably won't want to be forever associated with this.

I did censor in the manner I did as a statement on their working pace though.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Here's a reminder at least of what the oak is supposed to be, in the vaulted area. 4 King A-frames which refers to the way the small cross members meet the main the vertical. And then a ridge beam, on top obviously, and two purloins mimicking the ridge running horizontally along between the king frames and supported on ends by the masonry (mario and my blockwork).

And these are the dimensions on the A frames themselves.

First of all theres some errors... I have to ring the dudes and ask whats going on even though I know the answer, the... knobs? that stick in to the... holes are too long for the holes. Solution chop some off. Sorry big boys.
You can see my poor saw setup to knobchop by 20mm or so to allow things to move forward more comfortably

Whilst we lifted the first frame up with temporary narrow metal pegs, we've decided to properly peg everything else before we lift it up. Aside from the base beam.

It was very uncomfortable being at height dealing with large erect woods and just gently, ineffectually banging away. From now on we'll get the majority of the banging and pegging done at ground level where we can work together as a team, supporting one another all the way through. Then use the heavy machinery to lift and do the final banging and pegging at a sensible height where we can hold on to each others legs and things on the ladders.

then its strap up and begin erecting

ok good, quickly climb up the very suitable ladders I've bothered to buy off totally not ebay, theres no time to mess about here.

Didn't get a good shot of this before but heres the slots we're aiming for here on each beam.

Communication is essential and occasionally happens

I'm starting to understand why UK footballers love to do this together, a whole row of erected woods together is a beautiful thing.

Piece of piss that, now we've got to get the purloins and ridge on so we can take off the temporary supports. Although these timbers are so heavy its like stone henge they arent going anywhere. So got to move those timbers up.

Didn't seem to get too many shots of this but bang on! who built that wall?

First full purloin in place and look at that!

Mario in for the win. Presumably he is'nt about to start throbbing and double in size? that would be very awkward.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Tenon and mortise are the wood toucher words for knobs & holes.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Can confirm.

I'm glad you had a good time banging and pegging and holding onto each other's legs.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Were you able to get a cold shower after all that?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tenons.

Mortices.

Purlins, unless they were stolen.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

mario and my blockwork

Mario and Wall-luigi.

Edit: Oh, and while I'm being a tedious pedant, noggins are human heads, noggings are the bits of wood that go between joists. Call them dwangs if you want to appear exotic and/or dwarvish.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Aug 20, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
While you were studying the spelling of words, NJAN99 was busy devising a method to drill into the Earth's crust to pour a foundation that will survive tectonic shifts across the epochs.

Future civilisations will assume this bungalow was a place of honour, or that some highly esteemed deed is commemorated there

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

Mario and Wall-luigi.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I want to build a sort of postmortem BIM of a house type thing, it probably already exists in some form.

What I mean is how like you can have a 3d model of your building and plot heat loss and things on it and have a pretty, colourful 3d view of your house in Predator vision.

Like that, but for time and cost. So the model already knows the area/volume of each element, I want to assign time/cost taken to build to everything so I get this big heatmap of where the hell all the money went, and like stand in or look at the most expensive square inch of the house.

You could also do a stress overlay. My photos are also all time and date stamped, so most photographed could work too.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Put on a VR headset so you can walk around your house but done well.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I got the idea because I set a 2 pound coin in the mortar on the end of the roof and I was wondering if that's the most valuable bit by volume of the house?

I did do a vr headset walk around with my phone in a cheap headset. People were impressed. But they were easily impressed people.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Actually I already know what would be the hottest point on the cost/stress heatmap of any build. The bin, where you've had to chuck all the bits you broke and hosed up.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Well, a £2 coin is worth £1.26 per cubic centimetre so I guess you can compare to your other materials from there.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
It feels like the cost density model for this particular home would just be a giant red mass in the ground, no?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

It's more like giant sausages stuck into the ground, some sort of hosed up fingers of the old ones - reaching for the gate to hell.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Well a standard UK house brick is just under 1.9L in volume so to match a £2 coin for cost density it'd have to cost you £239.20 to lay each brick, or £1192 per breezeblock.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

My negotiation skills are second to none and, from memory, I'm at at least half those figures. result.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Read the sentence as "Well a standard UK house is just under 1.9L in volume..." and was perturbed for a few moments.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's not far off. They build them like loving shoeboxes piled together.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Or next to each other, one perpendicular to the other.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Burglary update. After almost 2 weeks I managed to get the first person who has turned up at the pub to let me in and look at the CCTV. It was all switched off and once we turned it on noone knew the password.

I got a text last night letting me know that, from today the DCI in charge of my case is on holiday for 2 weeks.

So I've decided to become a burglar.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Sounds good. Let us know if you acquire anything fancy.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Burglary update. After almost 2 weeks I managed to get the first person who has turned up at the pub to let me in and look at the CCTV. It was all switched off and once we turned it on noone knew the password.

I got a text last night letting me know that, from today the DCI in charge of my case is on holiday for 2 weeks.

So I've decided to become a burglar.

Sounds like those battery charges ain't gonna stick.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

Did you hear about the two burglars who were stealing batteries and fireworks?

They charged one and let the other off.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

We only have this big telehandler thing on hire for like a week so need to knock all this off whilst we have it.

Not just purloined purlins in but rustled ridges too.

Obviously need the ridge in before we can do the front side purlin so press on...

Hmmm, its important, when wearing your project manager pants, to find other people to blame for situations like this. And I do, liberally.

Look machine and people were only available this week so had to do it now. I'll just build the rest of the wall to hold it up underneath it later.

its fine

oh and whilst were on the topic of things that havent been built by contractors, just having to take out two courses of bricks here that I knew were wrong but just gave up on.

Its almost as if maybe the right bricks in the right places could have made this all a lot easier.

in place of the two course I need the actual concrete bearing at the height I always knew about, so do some formwork and pour that.

Theyre coming to collect my big telehandler so just need to find the fuel cap and whack some red diesel in so I dont get abused by their refill charges

gently caress.

Start building this rest of the wall thats like a feature wall and need to be right and thats why I got a professional

Santa claus. Or his very dubious cousin has come to town. I guess its not summer anymore.

Choke on my massive carrot rudolph

Wall!

Yeah so also ages ago I committed to some bifold doors as the price and lead times were rocketting and I'll definitely have the whole roof on in time to receive those.

The, inevitable assembly of eastern europeans who squabble with one another about their national supremacy are lovely and hilarious. And agree on one thing, I am not ready for these window and its hilarious.

I can see a certain person ready to tear me apart here. They are Schüco rear end 70 FD HD. rear end.

They were chosen for, relative price and quality, things like nice edges where the kiddies fingers dont get munched too easily. The big question was to traffic door or not but it was decided we wanted them neatly piling up at either end of the patio not leaving a stray door in the middle, there is access equivalent to a traffic door anyway by just opening them a bit. I couldnt remember the name of the traffic door so googled to find it and first thing google says is why are bifolds no longer popular. Oh dear.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Shuco are good I think.

rear end

I'd have had a 1+3 configuration for a traffic door on one of the sets, though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nice looking plant room, can't wait to see what you decide to put in there. Looks like it gets some excellent afternoon sun

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Starting to see that times are getting tough, those gloves are missing a few fingers

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Fwiw we didn't get a traffic door, and I'm glad we didn't.

Did you leave the frames in unglazed? Please tell me you at least put some surface protector over it. You are so not ready for those windows, it is stressing me out

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

CancerCakes posted:

Did you leave the frames in unglazed? Please tell me you at least put some surface protector over it. You are so not ready for those windows, it is stressing me out

Lol I was going to post earlier but I wanted to leave you stressing out.

Yeah we had to build some protective guards, so sacrifice a bunch of now almost goldlike batten and buy even more sacrificial plastic sheets. This house is 90% polystyrene and sacrificial plastic sheets.

poo poo photo, but same on the outside too

as er the inside

Also used the big arm machine to lift in this pair of weird trusses to the far side of former mario wall whilst we had it. This bit of roof is very... up in the air(?) as I never really reconciled the vaulted ceiling and feature brick wall end with the hipped roof I changed things to to try and placate planning/listed buildings. So we'll see if it will work. As in before the roof went to a gable so there was no issue but now I'm chopping it off at an angle. Does that make any sense? I'll find some drawings

Finish off the bracing in the other half of the roof with osb sheets on batten in between trusses. This keeps any diagonal bracing away from the upstairs space so i can squeeze in like 2 beds and office up there.

Bought 20? I think valves for the ventilation system. Going to buy cheap chinese actuators to fix onto them later on. So house will probably burn down and only help itself to do so.

But now. Its xmas. Or its a week before and boris has just closed the borders.

So we lost last family xmas to covid at the last minute as my france living parents were told with a days notice they couldnt travel back. People had worse, and also lost that xmas regardless of location. It is what it is. But since then mums had cancer and obviously not seen anyone for i dunno 18 months. Still people had worse and we shouldnt forget that. But yeah we all had planned to go out this xmas. Then boris told us the borders would shut in I dunno 3 days.

This is maybe not great, I forget how we judged each other so during covid. But we all decided to just gently caress our now illegal bookings off and just go tonight. before the deadline. booked the last ferry out of britain and went for it. Its going to be good practice for 3-6months time when this country implodes.

Tesla superchargers in britain, like most things, are shambolic, lovely, depresing and oversubscribed.

2nd to last ferry

glorious french superchargers!

and we make it, the tesla having to drink horrible french skoda electricity at my parents

but then more horrible english (my brother) turn up and the chargers are as crowded as in the awful uk

xmas happens and it great. Except I have messed up some medications and am ill for all of it. Although I do get a ski in.

then back home and now rafter pairs going on the oak vaulted area. They have been supplied overlong as thats just the length the wood comes, I assume I have been charged for all this excess wood I can't do anything with. But I'm used to this.

The weather is of course, now atrocious.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

The oak looks proper good

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

We buy a bunch of chipboard floorboards to make a temporary floor with left over (as yet uneeded) bits of wood in the vaulted area making it much easier to work up there.

And then continuing with the rafter placements on the vaulted wing of the building.

The oaks are a little more wonky than in my perfect 3d model so need a little jostling to fit right. Its a bit risky to have the floorboards as the weather is worsening and if these get proper wet theyre probably proper hosed. the plan is to reuse them in the other half of the building as the loft/cheeky study/bedroom floors. So it owuld be good to make swift progress here.

Also need to finish off some bits of walls that I didn't think I'd have to do myself.

Also a constant battle to ensure the most useful car is able to start at the opportune moment. Which usually, involves more than one car.

Now need to trim off all those overlong rafters, and in some cases truss ends.

This is too heavy work for my little 1+ battery ryobi circular saw, so using bigboy makita corded saw. And its great, working well.

But I'm a cackhanded moron and shortly...

cut through the cable, which I quickly fix...

This is now much more annoying to use.

I've been rushing to trim these as...

the rest of the windows are on their way.

Look good? I think so.

But then you open one.

then more...

wtf? This isnt how windows works? Not even MS has ever hosed me over this badly with unintended consequences.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

quote:

Look good? I think so.

But then you open one.

then more...

wtf? This isnt how windows works? Not even MS has ever hosed me over this badly with unintended consequences.

thanks for giving my wife and I a good laugh!

Terrible window design, I'd be pissed too if they opened (hilariously) like that.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I had the exact same problem making openable doors in Duke Nukem 3D. I think you need to apply an offset to the sprite's X coordinate.

Good plan making a bungalow as well as the Build engine really doesn't like rooms above rooms.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Newest season of grand designs just kicked off this week. I feel like this could have been a solid episode for it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Think about the positive side, now they can't even be used as emergency exits.

Wait, did I say positive?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Think about the positive side, now they can't even be used as emergency exits.

Wait, did I say positive?

Very on-brand for a Tesla fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Up until you said something I just assumed it was some weird modern and/or british design quirk to have windows like that.