Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Pyre is an incredibly charming game, and the one thing I liked about it was that the barks in the game actually corresponds to an unknown language - I had gotten to the final stage three times before I final realized that 'Nyxsallas' didn't mean 'Victory'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CJacobs posted:

Kicked SO much rear end in SUCH a lovely car that I did a full flatspin right over the finish line. While this was fun as hell in itself, Forza Horizon has this really wild thing called 'Drivatars' that are fake AI versions of real people who played the game, made out of GPS coordinates of their own personal path. If you play in online mode it's not versus real humans unless you decide to, it's versus how the real human generally played when they did that race. Because I won this race and saved my progress, it saved my Drivatar.

Therefore, if you're in a race with my Drivatar and he's in this car and you're getting pasted, he will follow his telemetry and do this or at least attempt to when you reach the finish line! It's such an utterly unique system that makes for such unique AI-integrated gameplay. :allears:

Lol, I never thought about that going into the drivatar database before. I like to spin my car so it's rudely facing away from the camera as it slides across the finish line, so hopefully virtual me's in there doing it a bunch too :v:

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Can I just say after not having played in years and years, Minecraft RTX is bonkers?

These loving rays, man.

Playing it 4k on the couch is also beautiful and incredibly peaceful. After a long day, absorbing the sunrises and sunsets, I get ray-casted from my couch and into the drat tv when the music softly kicks in.

There's also something about playing it with a controller, which I've never done before, making my FOV glide - it's why if you're recording game footage, the undampened mouse look is distracting compared to controller.

It just takes everything up that one tiny level

But those rays....

you have to download a resource back for Windows 10 bedrock to use ray tracing, I use one that is essentially vanilla called Defined PBR. Also I don't know how effective Ray tracing is for AMD cards. As far as I know it works because they're using DXR, but it won't be accelerated as much as an rtx card.

Regardless, Minecraft RTX is not Minecraft

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Watch_Dogs Legion was my favourite one by far, but that might be because I'm a horrible British person. The London in that game was the best London in a game (though I've not played AC Syndicate).

The best bit was you could have a gang of hooligan's all decked out in three different clubs, all of which corresponded pretty well colour wise to West Ham, Spurs and Arsenal if I remember correctly

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

AC Syndicate was a rather forgettable game overall but its depiction of London was inspiringly filthy. It looked like it smelled like the most disgusting city ever created by humans, just raw sewage and smoke everywhere.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Watch Dogs is weird. The first one had a great idea with terrible implementation and a protagonist that was worse than Connor in ACIII. The second one was great and Legion is not terrible and at least tries interesting stuff even if it doesn't land completely. Plus the story is pretty cool.

I wouldn't say AC Revelations or Valhalla are terrible either, but you can immediately sense all three are the work of totally different teams and they don't quite gel with their predecessors.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

AC Syndicate was a rather forgettable game overall but its depiction of London was inspiringly filthy. It looked like it smelled like the most disgusting city ever created by humans, just raw sewage and smoke everywhere.

Don't forget the rampant Evie-Frye-inflicted broken bones and concussions.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

no they haven't done a modern day assassin's creed yet

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Strategic Tea posted:

no they haven't done a modern day assassin's creed yet

They technically/kinda have with the Watch_Dogs games. If you know what you're looking at, you can tell they're clearly on the older AC engine and gameplay mechanics, probably forked off the same version as AC:Syndicate's at a guess. (rather than the newer RPG-esque engine in Origins etc.)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Vic posted:

That's a leap

Well assassins creed is full of them

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
In Pokémon sun and moon you can summon Pokémon helpers to ride or work with in over world traversal situations. You can summon a Machamp to push boulders around and it carries you in two of its arms while using the other two for pushing stuff. It is very funny to watch the PC just flop around leisurely.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol, I never thought about that going into the drivatar database before. I like to spin my car so it's rudely facing away from the camera as it slides across the finish line, so hopefully virtual me's in there doing it a bunch too :v:

Drivatars are such a great idea, they make the game so much more subtly entertaining. I love that they use the custom liveries of real players so sometimes you'll get an INTRICATELY detailed Denver Bronco, or a lambo with POLICE on it, or tribal art and hot rod flames on like your mom's buick, or just someone's favorite anime girl mugging as they corner better than your rear end

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:21 on Aug 21, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't forget the rampant Evie-Frye-inflicted broken bones and concussions.

THWONK PTUNK KLONK

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

In Pokémon sun and moon you can summon Pokémon helpers to ride or work with in over world traversal situations. You can summon a Machamp to push boulders around and it carries you in two of its arms while using the other two for pushing stuff. It is very funny to watch the PC just flop around leisurely.

There's a weird scene with a woman visiting her husband's grave... while being carried by a Machamp like that. I think she is wearing the ride outfit as well.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Another fun thing in Forza Horizon, there's a drone mode that's nice to use to fly around and look for secrets. However, there's not an actual drone model, it's basically just a free-roaming first person camera to look around with. So it took me a few playthroughs to realize that animals actually react to it and run away like it's an actual drone, now I feel obligated to pester them every time I see any. Sorry, sheep, this is my field now! :luca:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Tumble posted:

still bummed that Oedipus DLC got cancelled

Please notice the guy in the cage's name (and reverse it, as our hero Alexios reversed the usual end of this tale)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPTxLvwRYSQ

That Hands on Hips pose at the end, I'm in tears again

(usually I am 100% a Kassandra stan, but Alexios here :discourse: )

NoneMoreNegative has a new favorite as of 21:38 on Aug 21, 2022

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
LOL I've just discovered people can actually create and upload their own vinyls to Forza Horizon and the variety is truly staggering!

We've got ACAB, a pikachu dabbing, ancient memes, fake license places and tow straps, and of course anime girls! That tow strap is made out of like 80 really precise decals. It's kinda unbelievable that they just... let you make anything you want to.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Games that allow people to make icons/art are the best. I still have super fond memories of APB tooling around with my friends in stupid looking cars.

On the flip side, I have seen some horrifying things during Phantasy Star Online 2’s concerts.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

moosecow333 posted:

Games that allow people to make icons/art are the best. I still have super fond memories of APB tooling around with my friends in stupid looking cars.

On the flip side, I have seen some horrifying things during Phantasy Star Online 2’s concerts.

So many hours in Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero's vinyl editor making lovely decals. I almost forgot what a PIA that was. I wonder if you could use a Playstation 2 compatible mouse with TXRZ?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Spider-Man Remastered

Once you hit level 41 you can unlock the cartoon suit and use quips as your ultimate attack. Much better than the overpowered robot drone I've been using for the whole game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Spider-Man Remastered

Once you hit level 41 you can unlock the cartoon suit and use quips as your ultimate attack. Much better than the overpowered robot drone I've been using for the whole game.

Similarly neat and stylish, Miles Morales has a Spiderverse suit that also adds in the distinctive limited-frame style from that movie to the character animations. Looks rad as hell.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

You can put a skull mask on your horse in Stardew Valley.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

moosecow333 posted:

God yeah, APB was basically an absolutely incredible character customization engine attached to a fairly mediocre game. You could even compose the music jingle that played when you scored highest on a mission. :allears:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

RandolphCarter posted:

You can put your horse on fire in AssCreed: Odyssey.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

RandolphCarter posted:

Why would I want to deface my beautiful Fat Pony like that??

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

Alhazred posted:

I once accidently set half a camp on fire in Boeotia, which turned out to include setting a horse on fire that I would later get a quest to retrieve. I was nice to the guy about his horse before hand so he went, "It's okay, you were really nice about Spyro, things happen." and gave me 1000 drachmae anyways.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

RandolphCarter posted:

My daughter wants to know how to do this. She has built her sister “the bone house” for their co-op play and wants the skeleton horse to go with it

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Agaragon posted:

I once accidently set half a camp on fire in Boeotia, which turned out to include setting a horse on fire that I would later get a quest to retrieve. I was nice to the guy about his horse before hand so he went, "It's okay, you were really nice about Spyro, things happen." and gave me 1000 drachmae anyways.

I honestly had to laugh when I realized that you could set fire to yourself if you walked into grass with a fire arrow.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Alhazred posted:

in AC:Valhalla you can get wolves and bears and large cats to ride.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Perestroika posted:

You could even compose the music jingle that played when you scored highest on a mission. :allears:

I had mine as the opening jingle of My Little Pony (this was right when the whole Brony thing was really taking off) and the amount of salt I got was SO satisfying.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They technically/kinda have with the Watch_Dogs games. If you know what you're looking at, you can tell they're clearly on the older AC engine and gameplay mechanics, probably forked off the same version as AC:Syndicate's at a guess. (rather than the newer RPG-esque engine in Origins etc.)

You can recruit the last Assassin as an Operative in Legion, and the mission chain is pretty cool.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
AC Syndicate has Cleopatra's Needle in London even though it shouldn't have arrived there yet. Which would be fine, but the next game has you visiting ancient Alexandria, where it should be but isn't and that bugs the hell out of me for some reason.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nameless Pete posted:

AC Syndicate has Cleopatra's Needle in London even though it shouldn't have arrived there yet. Which would be fine, but the next game has you visiting ancient Alexandria, where it should be but isn't and that bugs the hell out of me for some reason.
The AssCreed games are pretty open about that sometimes they add things that looks cool.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
the templars probably stole it

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Nameless Pete posted:

the next game has you visiting ancient Alexandria, where it should be but isn't and that bugs the hell out of me for some reason.

That’s cuz it’s in London

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

goblin week posted:

That’s cuz it’s in London

Checks out

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Alhazred posted:

The AssCreed games are pretty open about that sometimes they add things that looks cool.

There's one landmark in AC4 where the scan info is a chat log of the in-game devs arguing about this

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Frank Frank posted:

My daughter wants to know how to do this. She has built her sister “the bone house” for their co-op play and wants the skeleton horse to go with it

Kill a bunch of skeletons in the mine to get the mask from the adventurers guild, select the mask in your tool bar, press use while standing by the horses head.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I'm giving Final Fantasy 13 another shot after bouncing off it over a decade ago. It's a dumb little thing, but I really like how the background pictures in the menu animate a few frames when you select a character. It's a neat effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
FFXIII has great music and super interesting art direction. The gameplay problems are what they are, but I felt they overshadowed the really cool parts of the experience.

XXIII-2 was haha wtf terrible in every way though. I mean, except you could put hats on monsters, that was cool.

Did nobody else play Type-0? That game had wonky gameplay and the English dub is unlistenable but wow what a hosed up and awesome setting/story/ending