Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

CoolCab posted:

Our place in the world is shrinking: our economic comparisons grow worse, long-term political influence depends on economic strength – and that is running out. The country expects both full employment and an end to inflation. We cannot have both unless people restrain their demands. If the TUC guidelines [on pay] are not observed, we shall end up with wage controls once more and even a breakdown of democracy. Sometimes when I go to bed at night, I think that if I were a young man I would emigrate. But when I wake up in the morning, I ask myself whether there is any place else I would prefer to go.

if you can't think of anywhere you would rather be than the UK I gently suggest you suffer from an extreme deficit of imagination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

bitmap posted:

if you can't think of anywhere you would rather be than the UK I gently suggest you suffer from an extreme deficit of imagination

oh, i can't imagine that is the first time he was accused of that. 1974, so what three years before the winter of discontent and less than five before thatcher. the warning signs have all been bright and garish / far too great in number to ignore

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

bitmap posted:

Places which are a) affordable b) speak English as a first language & c) are willing to accept immigrants with no money or real qualifications are pretty hard to come by. Yeah, I'd be alright living in most of northern Europe on a personal level but I'm not sure they are really desperate for me & my inability to speak the language. Sure, Scandinavians & the Dutch are basically all better at speaking English than we are but pretty sure they expect people living & working there to have some grasp of the language.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

Places which are a) affordable b) speak English as a first language & c) are willing to accept immigrants with no money or real qualifications are pretty hard to come by. Yeah, I'd be alright living in most of northern Europe on a personal level but I'm not sure they are really desperate for me & my inability to speak the language. Sure, Scandinavians & the Dutch are basically all better at speaking English than we are but pretty sure they expect people living & working there to have some grasp of the language.

to anyone constrained by a very real and understandable economic or familial reality which makes moving extraordinarily difficult or impossible: that sucks, I hate that, im sorry. But as someone who moved here from the other side of the world...I dont know, man. I'm sure you know your deal better than some dickhead on a forum but I feel like you've got a lot of sick choices here as a western european.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Have you heard of this human ability to learn foreign languages op?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Commonwealth-to-Commonwealth is really easy with some of those visa programs, some even do job placement. Though the most generous are for Youth, which I think is under 30?

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

Commonwealth-to-Commonwealth is really easy with some of those visa programs, some even do job placement. Though the most generous are for Youth, which I think is under 30?

yeah I think 31 was the cutoff for the one I considered

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

i wish there was something i could do to integrate myself into a new environment... but alas...

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
anybody with uk citizenship can go live and work in ireland with zero paperwork or visa or anything. yes I know I was just complaining about how pricey it is but: my complaint was that dublin is roughly as expensive as london. it's much much better because: the gov is poo poo but it's not hurtling towards fash as fast as it can and also it's much less likely to have blackouts this winter in particular:
https://twitter.com/JavierBlas/status/1562019059570556929

everybody has been friendly, nobody has keyed my car for being english. being white helps there ofc.

if you own your car it requires a bit of paperwork within 30 days, if you lease then you need permission from your lease company but no paperwork if they say yes. pets were the most paperwork I experienced, and even that was mostly just rabies shots.

gonadic io has issued a correction as of 17:28 on Aug 23, 2022

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

and this should go without saying, but to anyone itt with Irish parents and/or grandparents, you should already have your Irish passport at this point, because this time next year your British passport will be as useful as a chocolate fireguard

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

well that would have been good to know

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I hear it’s not so easy to rent a place in Dublin these days so maybe try to plan around that if you head that way

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
operation lie down and die still winning

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
ya do NOT look to move to dublin if you can help it - would you go move to london ityool 2022? jobs not withstanding ofc idk about job hunting here

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
if i wanted to move somewhere cheap in ireland, i'd probably pick somewhere in belfast and just wait a few years :v:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Move to northern Canada like the Remittence Men of yore and get the Northern Living Allowance.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

Move to northern Canada like the Remittence Men of yore and get the Northern Living Allowance.

it’s the land of maple syrup and cheap housing

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Dubs is a bit of a state. Cork and Galway are great places. I live in Kilkenny and I love it so much I don't think I'll ever leave.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

I hear it’s not so easy to rent a place in Dublin these days so maybe try to plan around that if you head that way

i wouldn’t be surprised if it was more for a can’t find a place to rent at a reasonable price rather can’t rent at all

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I don't know about Dublin but it's starting to become common to require tax returns, paystubs, references, credit checks, etc to even apply to rent a place alongside the corporations buying up all the available housing in many cities. It's truly starting to become impossible for certain groups to get housing at any price.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Pryor on Fire posted:

I don't know about Dublin but it's starting to become common to require tax returns, paystubs, references, credit checks, etc to even apply to rent a place alongside the corporations buying up all the available housing in many cities. It's truly starting to become impossible for certain groups to get housing at any price.

This is the same in the UK.

6 months back in England I had to even give them access to my payment history through the bank, there's some kind of scheme for it that the banks are signed up to. To make sure I don't have excessive outgoings/low balance/missed payments.

They also called my manager at work aside from just paystubs and credit checks.

e: This thing: https://www.canopy.rent/rentpassport.

Lookit this guy being stoked to hand over all his financial data:

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 19:46 on Aug 23, 2022

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

CoolCab posted:

if i wanted to move somewhere cheap in ireland, i'd probably pick somewhere in belfast and just wait a few years :v:

I posted, maybe not in this thread, that Belfast was cheaper and easier to rent in than Dublin, but my experience was from a few years back. I saw something more recent that said at any time there's about 250 properties available to rent in Belfast and about 1000 AirBnBs.

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are. Philistines!

Frosted Flake posted:

I literally did this and literally send remittances back sometimes. Started planning to do it the day after the brexit referendum was announced as I thought it was obvious that it was going to be a cataclysmic shitshow which apparently was the one really perceptive thought I've had in my life. Ended up leaving the day they formally announced intent to quit, funny how that worked out. It's been v. good so far, get paid about 3x what I would be in the UK to do the same job at the moment, some things are more expensive but nowhere near enough to make up the difference. I got extremely lucky on the immigration side of things though, it is difficult (though obviously not impossible: hello) to stick around permanently as some random idiot off the street with barely any money or skills or qualifications.

maybe going to buy a house this year or next, northeastern BC is still fairly cheap on account of being an iceball for five months of the year, considered to be ugly (:shobon: I think it's nice) & full of insane chuds. Turns out everywhere's full of insane chuds nowadays though so what can you do (other than keep your neighbours half a mile away). At least the ones here leave people alone. Might change jobs instead, not sure. Shift work means I get to turn two weeks of holiday a year into a month+ before public holidays, don't have to pay £1000 a year to run a lightbulb, haven't been out of work for more than a week other than a brief roni shutdown, haven't had to think about an employment agency or the DWP or some curtain twitching psycho mad about parking spaces or or or or.

YMMV may vary (and, imo, your life would be no better in most material ways vs just staying put) if you went to a city rather than the boonies as I did, but going to the boonies highly recommended if you're an unsentimental sort of person and can deal with being out the end of the loving earth. If you're thinking about doing it and want to get the modern equivalent of one of those imperialist GO WEST, YOUNG MAN posters typed at you my PMs are open, I guess.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Eat mouldy food, enjoy hunger pangs, have fun in the blackouts.....

Hard winter incoming....

Hunger riots returning to the imperial core...?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

the TUC Twitter account tweeted out something along the lines of “the TUC are proud to announce the signing of X striker something something

it popped up as a notification on my phone so didn’t really think to save it and pressed it only for the tweet to be deleted

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Frosted Flake posted:

i grew up in iqaluit actually, funny enough. i think i'd like to move above the tree line ideally. i miss it terribly, sometimes.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Looke posted:

the TUC Twitter account tweeted out something along the lines of “the TUC are proud to announce the signing of X striker something something

it popped up as a notification on my phone so didn’t really think to save it and pressed it only for the tweet to be deleted

The TUC is All Elite

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Private Speech posted:

This is the same in the UK.

6 months back in England I had to even give them access to my payment history through the bank, there's some kind of scheme for it that the banks are signed up to. To make sure I don't have excessive outgoings/low balance/missed payments.

They also called my manager at work aside from just paystubs and credit checks.

e: This thing: https://www.canopy.rent/rentpassport.

Lookit this guy being stoked to hand over all his financial data:

There's a mirror service to this, CreditLadder, where regular rent repayments over time can increase your credit rating. But good luck getting your landlord to do the 5 minutes of work needed to sign up to it.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

There's a mirror service to this, CreditLadder, where regular rent repayments over time can increase your credit rating. But good luck getting your landlord to do the 5 minutes of work needed to sign up to it.

Canopy has that feature too.

It's still utter crap that you have to give over all your financial transactions just to rent somewhere.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Looke posted:

i think ive said here or elsewhere that my mrs who is an ED nurse turned up for work last week to have 16 amber lamps queuing to get in. The ED was on divert, and their divert hospital was also on divert

its not good

edit: and this is a small/medium district hospital lmao

I didn't know they had entire departments for erectile dysfunction, that must be a hard job.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
It's only a hard job if you do it right.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I didn't know they had entire departments for erectile dysfunction, that must be a hard job.

it can drive you round the bend

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

you seem knowledgeable. can you explain what a jersey is for me?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Microplastics posted:

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

and that kids is how I met your mother

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I posted, maybe not in this thread, that Belfast was cheaper and easier to rent in than Dublin, but my experience was from a few years back. I saw something more recent that said at any time there's about 250 properties available to rent in Belfast and about 1000 AirBnBs.

There was a thread on the northern ireland reddit just today about lines to even view a place, and people being asked for non refundable deposits (which...thats not a deposit) to even have a viewing. thats very different from the Belfast of just a few years ago when i came from abroad, rented a three bedroom house with a yard and gate without references for 400 pounds a month.

edit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/northernir...m_medium=mweb3x

Nuclear War has issued a correction as of 22:47 on Aug 23, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Pretty rad dad pad posted:

I literally did this and literally send remittances back sometimes. Started planning to do it the day after the brexit referendum was announced as I thought it was obvious that it was going to be a cataclysmic shitshow which apparently was the one really perceptive thought I've had in my life. Ended up leaving the day they formally announced intent to quit, funny how that worked out. It's been v. good so far, get paid about 3x what I would be in the UK to do the same job at the moment, some things are more expensive but nowhere near enough to make up the difference. I got extremely lucky on the immigration side of things though, it is difficult (though obviously not impossible: hello) to stick around permanently as some random idiot off the street with barely any money or skills or qualifications.

maybe going to buy a house this year or next, northeastern BC is still fairly cheap on account of being an iceball for five months of the year, considered to be ugly (:shobon: I think it's nice) & full of insane chuds. Turns out everywhere's full of insane chuds nowadays though so what can you do (other than keep your neighbours half a mile away). At least the ones here leave people alone. Might change jobs instead, not sure. Shift work means I get to turn two weeks of holiday a year into a month+ before public holidays, don't have to pay £1000 a year to run a lightbulb, haven't been out of work for more than a week other than a brief roni shutdown, haven't had to think about an employment agency or the DWP or some curtain twitching psycho mad about parking spaces or or or or.

YMMV may vary (and, imo, your life would be no better in most material ways vs just staying put) if you went to a city rather than the boonies as I did, but going to the boonies highly recommended if you're an unsentimental sort of person and can deal with being out the end of the loving earth. If you're thinking about doing it and want to get the modern equivalent of one of those imperialist GO WEST, YOUNG MAN posters typed at you my PMs are open, I guess.

Doxxed OP

e: though fr that’s not bad. I know Canadians still fall over themselves for Brits. My psych and Rehab O were both Brits with (what to a Canadian seemed like) educated British accents and I feel like that’s how they both made Major. Similarly there was a Scottish Corporal everyone thought knew way more about soldiering for whatever reason. Dominion inferiority complex may be real.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 01:48 on Aug 24, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

redleader posted:

you seem knowledgeable. can you explain what a jersey is for me?

Ha.
Depends.
In the UK a 'jersey' is pretty much synonymous with sweater or jumper

quote:

Think of ‘jersey’ as being like an ancient ‘brand-name’ for ‘sweater’, originating from an island off France, where they were made, that eventually became synonymous with ‘sweater, pullover, and jumper’ which are other words for similar garments.

but in the US they seem to be related to sports tops. Though I guess that's also a bit true in the UK too where you have football club jerseys. But I would think of those as subsets of normal jerseys.

Things my mother used to say when I was a freezing cold nipper in a house with inch thick frost on the insides of the windows:

"Put a woolie on"
"Put a jumper on"
"Put a jersey on"

She never said 'put a sweater on' though.

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

As in atom bomb... As in nuclear fission.. As in the end of the world.
Anyone ITT got any recommendations on unions to join?

I'm in financial services so a bit clueless as to whether the smaller (probably more melty) sector-specific unions like Aegis is the right move, or just to go for one of the bigger amalgamated unions like GMB or Unite?

Any experience of being a member of a union that's not recognised by your employer, it's not easy to find good information about how that relationship works apart from in the situations where the poo poo is hitting the fan...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Microplastics posted:

Oh poo poo that was a typo I meant to write "hand".