Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So apparently there’s a third live action FMA movie coming out soon:

https://comicbook.com/anime/amp/news/fullmetal-alchemist-final-transmutation-live-action-first-trailer-watch/

Was the second one that came out a few months ago any good out of curiosity (apparently it was put on Netflix recently and even has a dub)? I remember the first one feeling kind of rushed in my opinion

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akane-banashi: Akana-banashi fuckin' rules so hard. I was so prepared to weep when Jugemu died and then Akane pulls out the "actually, Jugemu survived" bit on me, holy poo poo. I love the expression on Karashi's face when he's making heads and tails of the act he just watched, as if he's come to a realization. I love Issho's single sentence to Akane. I like the reporter chick too, she's sorta like a mouthpiece for the author/reader, in that she's telling us what the author wants us to know, but she's also sort of a reader stand-in at the same time. I think her "I love rakugo" statement after Akane's act highlights the difference between Akane and the other 2 main rivals, which was also brought up in the previous chapter - Akane's rakugo focuses on the rakugo act, whereas Karashi and Hikaru's rakugos were more about making themselves more prominent.

I think the next few chapters are going to be really big for Akane-banashi, but in-universe and in real life. Akane-banashi's been fantastically strong, but so much of it - her entire motivation for getting into rakugo, her lessons under Shigumi and Kyoji and Koguma, her hard work to improve herself - was being built up for this moment. Akane herself states that she can't move forward until she gets an answer to her question. But what lies forward? Can the manga remain so narratively strong and connected as Akane starts moving towards her uncertain future? It's a bit worrisome, but at the same time, it feels like worrying over it is silly given how good it's been.

Elusive Samurai: Enemy of the week is a dumbass who thinks a grown-rear end man fighting a pre-teen is a fair fight and I look forward to him having his ideals crushed before he dies.

Mashle: Whatever happened to Mash?

Roboco and Me: Went a completely different direction than I thought, I thought it was gonna go full horror but it ends on a slightly sad note with the chick actually being a friendly ghost. Consider me bamboozled.

Sakamoto Days: Hell yeah whacky equipment testing!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Huh, Issho is apparently based off a real-life figure accordin' to a thread on Reddit.

quote:

The quote is very reminiscent of Tatekawa Danshi when he participated as a judge in the M-1 Grand Prix, an annual Manzai competition. The duo Tetsu & Tomi were already top class acts while the event’s contestants are usually up and coming comedians; which resulted in Danshi saying “you don’t belong here.”

Arakawa Issho is clearly based on Danshi, so I think there will be an episode sometime in the future that focuses on Issho’s past that takes bits and pieces from Danshi’s incendiary past.

quote:

Danshi made headlines when he expelled all his apprentices at once. Apprentices do get fired once in a while, but firing multiple disciples at once is extremely rare.
The school headed by Danshi (Rakugo Tatekawa-Ryu) is known for having strict requirements for promotions like in the manga. Other schools of Edo Rakugo (Rakugo Association, Rakugo Arts Association, Enraku Ichimonkai) are not that strict.
Trying to make a performance style from 300 years ago relevant in the modern age is something that Danshi tackled throughout his career. Whereas Kabuki and Noh survived by becoming high art that’s appreciated among the upper class with pricey tickets, Danshi strived to keep Rakugo as an entertainment for the masses, resisting to become high art. Danshi’s views are reflected in the manga’s interview scene with the tv reporter.
Danshi was known for being volatile and having a bad temper just like Issho. Most Rakugoka tend to be approachable and funny (after all, they are comedians).

quote:

According to Gendai Business columnist Kenichiro Horii, the character Issho Arakawa in the 2022 rakugo manga series Akane-banashi is modeled after Tatekawa Danshi.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Whoa, Super Smartphone had a lot happening this week. It will be funny if Hunter x Hunter comes back soon and we have two different stories about 11-sided battles of wits in Jump at the same time.

It's interesting that all the Superphone owners are in their teens or 20s. To some extent this just reflects the convention that major characters in shonen manga shouldn't be too much older than the target audience unless they're specifically mentor figures, but I suspect there's an in-universe reason for it too.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I Am Fowl posted:

Super Smartphone: Of course one of the smartphone holders is a vtuber.

I think they are just a Youtuber

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Larryb posted:

So apparently there’s a third live action FMA movie coming out soon:

https://comicbook.com/anime/amp/news/fullmetal-alchemist-final-transmutation-live-action-first-trailer-watch/

Was the second one that came out a few months ago any good out of curiosity (apparently it was put on Netflix recently and even has a dub)? I remember the first one feeling kind of rushed in my opinion

Watched it a couple nights ago and it's not much better. Same issues with trying to cram a lot of stuff into a limited runtime while also adding scenes that never happened and shifting the manga's story around to fit the movie's attempts at exposition. And gosh darn does nobody look like they are supposed too with lots of bad fake mustaches, beards, and bald caps abound.

What they did to my boy Armstrong is criminal.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
That first movie was one of the most painful sits of my life and had some of the worst editing and continuity I've ever seen in a professional production. It's worse than a fan film.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

I Am Fowl posted:

Super Smartphone: Of course one of the smartphone holders is a vtuber.

Face streamer, you can see the webcam and she's in costume which wouldn't be necessary as a vtuber.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Super Smartphone: I can't imagine these numbers are 1:1 with who has the most points but it'd be really funny if the megalomaniac CEO with 21 charisma has done less with his magic phone than the streamer.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Kyte posted:

Face streamer, you can see the webcam and she's in costume which wouldn't be necessary as a vtuber.

Webcams are often used by vtubers for face tracking

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

Watched it a couple nights ago and it's not much better. Same issues with trying to cram a lot of stuff into a limited runtime while also adding scenes that never happened and shifting the manga's story around to fit the movie's attempts at exposition. And gosh darn does nobody look like they are supposed too with lots of bad fake mustaches, beards, and bald caps abound.

What they did to my boy Armstrong is criminal.

It seems based on the title/trailer for the one coming out soon that they’re essentially trying cram an entire series worth of material into just 3 movies (which seems like a recipe for disaster to me)

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
me reading dandadan every monday

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Namnesor posted:

me reading dandadan every monday

This chapter ended with profound truth. God I love a good powerbomb Instantly reminded me of a personal favorite from recent years.

Also, please read Kengan Asura, it's amazing. Skip Omega, it's not amazing.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Can you spoil what's wrong with Omega? I liked Kengan a lot but haven't started Omega yet.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Pierson posted:

Can you spoil what's wrong with Omega? I liked Kengan a lot but haven't started Omega yet.

Long and short is A really bad tournament arc between the Kengan Association and one of the other promotions mentioned called Purgatory. Basically a 13v13 match where Purgatory looks absolutely like a joke despite the opening 50 chapters, which are really good, setting them up as comparable to the powerhouses of the kengan association. There's also a sub-plot with the centipede organization hinted at in the end of Ashura doing their own invasion of the bodysnatchers style infiltration of the world but it goes nowhere and then the organization self destructs under their own ineptitude. Fight choreography also tanks in quality probably because the group all had to work in separate locations during the lockdowns and part of what allowed them to iron things out was being in person to show each other moves and stuff.

That being said the first 49 chapters are actually very good and a change of pace from the nonstop tournament arc that defined Ashura. Instead we get a single focal character who undergoes his own kind of rigourous training and growth to become a stronger fighter. If nothing else that's worth reading but keep in mind the quality will tank soon after.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The biggest problem with Omega is that it's on Comikey now and Comikey makes it's real inconvenient to catch up.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CodfishCartographer posted:

Webcams are often used by vtubers for face tracking

Yes But it said she's a Youtuber not a Vtuber.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I just watched the second live action FMA movie on a whim, that was slightly better paced than the first one and Ling was particularly well cast in my opinion but it still falls into the same trap of trying to cram too much in at once, rewriting parts of the manga in a much less satisfying manner (in my opinion anyway), and the costumes/effects being just a slight step above fanfilm quality (also I don’t care what the reason is, you do not do Armstrong dirty like that).

This is a complaint I had with the first one as well but Al sounds way too old here (not sure why they didn’t just try to get Rie Kugimiya back since it was a voice only role anyway)

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
They put a freaking forehead prosthetic on Armstrong and gave him a gamer headphone head dent in the process :negative:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

I just watched the second live action FMA movie on a whim, that was slightly better paced than the first one and Ling was particularly well cast in my opinion but it still falls into the same trap of trying to cram too much in at once, rewriting parts of the manga in a much less satisfying manner (in my opinion anyway), and the costumes/effects being just a slight step above fanfilm quality (also I don’t care what the reason is, you do not do Armstrong dirty like that).

This is a complaint I had with the first one as well but Al sounds way too old here (not sure why they didn’t just try to get Rie Kugimiya back since it was a voice only role anyway)

I assume you cast Al with his human form in mind as well

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I assume you cast Al with his human form in mind as well

Yeah, that’d make sense (since as I said this is apparently supposed to be a trilogy)

I forget, did we see human Al at all in the first movie?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Got some fresh blood coming in

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1562213863956824064?t=uDM25RcC00EKH4Q9iVXgLA&s=19

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Note that this week's Jump had a full 21 chapters (including only 2 one-shots): https://www.reddit.com/r/MangaRanking/comments/wv77ot/weekly_shonen_jump_ranking_38_august_22_2022/

If they stick to their pattern of 21 chapters max per issue and at least 1 one-shot per issue, then 2 new series implies at least 1 cancellation. Well, technically there might not be a cancellation: It's possible the author of Doron Dororon has seen the writing on the wall and is rushing the series to a conclusion without officially being cancelled.

Edit: I'm worried for Super Smartphone. Its "cushion" is now limited to Doron Dororon, Earthchild, and Aliens Area, and in addition to the 2 new series, there's the eventual return of Ruri Dragon and Hunter x Hunter to worry about. (Funny how Hunter x Hunter's return has become a real possibility and not just a joke.)

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 24, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I give em -4 chapters before they're cancelled.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

RareAcumen posted:

I give em -4 chapters before they're cancelled.

This tracks, they need to make room for an Earth Child Gaiden.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

This tracks, they need to make room for an Earth Child Gaiden.

So, how many more chapters are they giving Oda to wrap up before he gets canned for the Earth Child 4-koma? I'm thinking three in recognition of his long contributions, but with Earth Child so hot right now, they might not be able to hold back for so long.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I hear the next chapter is going to be luffy discovering the one piece is friendship

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Apparently Earthchild is getting the axe soon - the third volume is more expensive than normal which means it's got extra pages so they're not waiting to fill out a fourth volume, they're just stuffing all the rest of it in the third one. Or maybe they decided it's such a success they're printing extra pages for shits and giggles who even knows anymore. Doron is indeed ending next issue according to current reports.

Silver2195 posted:

I'm worried for Super Smartphone. Its "cushion" is now limited to Doron Dororon, Earthchild, and Aliens Area, and in addition to the 2 new series, there's the eventual return of Ruri Dragon and Hunter x Hunter to worry about. (Funny how Hunter x Hunter's return has become a real possibility and not just a joke.)

Looks like Aliens Area is going to be the bottom of the magazine (which I think is a bit of a shame, it was a super rough start but it's been surprisingly okay lately) so Smartphone shouldn't be right on the chopping block, but then again being in the bottom three in general isn't exactly a path to success. Both are clearly trying to get out of that hole, Alines with moving to a more SoL formula and Smartphone with basically flooring it and ramping up the plot to bring in more excitement, but I'm worried it might be too late. I do wanna see where they both go but I know that WSJ is unlikely to let them ride it out for very long unless their rankings start suddenly improving. I'd bring up Earthchild as a counterpoint but somehow that cursed thing actually ranked higher initially and had more of a buffer.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I refuse to believe Earth Child will ever end.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I still can't believe Earth Child's sheer audacity to blame the terrible fate of Earthchildren on the Earth itself, rather than the super-obvious villainous organization that's been there since day 1. :psyduck:

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Akane-banashi: Akana-banashi fuckin' rules so hard. I was so prepared to weep when Jugemu died and then Akane pulls out the "actually, Jugemu survived" bit on me, holy poo poo. I love the expression on Karashi's face when he's making heads and tails of the act he just watched, as if he's come to a realization. I love Issho's single sentence to Akane. I like the reporter chick too, she's sorta like a mouthpiece for the author/reader, in that she's telling us what the author wants us to know, but she's also sort of a reader stand-in at the same time. I think her "I love rakugo" statement after Akane's act highlights the difference between Akane and the other 2 main rivals, which was also brought up in the previous chapter - Akane's rakugo focuses on the rakugo act, whereas Karashi and Hikaru's rakugos were more about making themselves more prominent.

I think the next few chapters are going to be really big for Akane-banashi, but in-universe and in real life. Akane-banashi's been fantastically strong, but so much of it - her entire motivation for getting into rakugo, her lessons under Shigumi and Kyoji and Koguma, her hard work to improve herself - was being built up for this moment. Akane herself states that she can't move forward until she gets an answer to her question. But what lies forward? Can the manga remain so narratively strong and connected as Akane starts moving towards her uncertain future? It's a bit worrisome, but at the same time, it feels like worrying over it is silly given how good it's been.

I'm really excited for the next chapter to finally give us answers on Issho's thought processes. A lot of things have set him up to be this one-dimensional villain, but as Akane's rakugo act just now proves, sometimes the storyteller can still pull the rug out from under you.

Justin_Brett posted:

Super Smartphone: I can't imagine these numbers are 1:1 with who has the most points but it'd be really funny if the megalomaniac CEO with 21 charisma has done less with his magic phone than the streamer.

It kinda feels like Super Smartphone's gonna run into the same problem as Platinum End, where they made such an excellent first villain with the rich rear end in a top hat CEO that anyone who follows up after is gonna have a hard time getting traction with the readers. That is, assuming Super Smartphone manages to hang in there for that plot development to happen.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I found it a little suspicious that Super Smartphone suddenly introduced a whole bunch of owners. :ohdear:
But so far the plotting has been solid, so I trust in the Mangaka.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

I found it a little suspicious that Super Smartphone suddenly introduced a whole bunch of owners. :ohdear:
But so far the plotting has been solid, so I trust in the Mangaka.

Yeah just dropping everyone all at once seems like a fast forward move.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Come to think of it, wouldn't being a Superphone use be detrimental to a Youtuber? You'd want more people to be able to see your content, but that can't happen if the Superphone privileges removes you from searches and stuff.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

amigolupus posted:

It kinda feels like Super Smartphone's gonna run into the same problem as Platinum End, where they made such an excellent first villain with the rich rear end in a top hat CEO that anyone who follows up after is gonna have a hard time getting traction with the readers. That is, assuming Super Smartphone manages to hang in there for that plot development to happen.

Super Smartphone has the points system to avoid the "everybody just stands around and talks for the second half of the manga" problem that Platinum End had.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

amigolupus posted:

Come to think of it, wouldn't being a Superphone use be detrimental to a Youtuber? You'd want more people to be able to see your content, but that can't happen if the Superphone privileges removes you from searches and stuff.

It's probably a boon to some youtubers.

It removes all information regarding you, but probably not your online persona.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, i imagine if you build a streaming persona kept separate to your real life identity, the super phone will just make that distinction absolute and makes it actually safer. Now you're still out there and can be heard and found, but no one can trace it back to your address and personal info.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The super smartphone killing all data regarding your actual person but not a persona would be amazing for a facetuber. You can do what you want and still be safe.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Here's the translated One-shot and while it's decent on it's own I just question why they cancelled Ayashimon which did have a youkai main heroine just to bring another such series into the fold some months later. I guess making it a overt romance series will help it limp along until it needs to make way for something like HxH if Earth Child isn't cleaved off first.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

Here's the translated One-shot and while it's decent on it's own I just question why they cancelled Ayashimon which did have a youkai main heroine just to bring another such series into the fold some months later. I guess making it a overt romance series will help it limp along until it needs to make way for something like HxH if Earth Child isn't cleaved off first.

Bone collection meets Ruri and Ayashimon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
https://isekaiscan.com/manga/the-legend-of-greater-tokyos-demon-bride/chapter-0-oneshot/

Here's another link that I found easier to read.