Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
afaict it's not even a low-carb diet (fruit, pastry), it's a regular diet + nightly steaks. Which tbf sounds very enjoyable, just likely to require vein drano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kaworu posted:

Sorry, didn’t mean to indicate that I’m eating an “ALL-BEEF” diet. I cook a steak and split it with my roommate like 5 nights a week, which seems to be healthy for us and isn’t even close to some extreme or unhealthy diet. I still eat fruit and berries and veggies and eggs and occasionally fish. But most days my major protein fix comes from eating about a 6-8 ounce serving of ribeye, which is actually the most nutrient-dense cut of steak, and full of really good stuff.

For me the proof is in how I look and feel, and what people have been saying to me ever since I started this more meat-heavy diet. I’ve not only been feeling better overall and more energetic, but I’ve put on muscle and can do a pull-up for the first time in like 8 years. My skin is healthier, my hair feels smoother and thicker, and practically everyone I run into tells me how much better I’m looking. It’s actually kind of mind-blowingly shocking how much better I feel.

So yeah, conventional wisdom might seem to say that eating red meat with a high degree of frequency is “bad”, but I have to think that’s gotta be bullshit. Cutting out most of the carbs in my diet and significantly upping my protein/red-meat intake has been really incredibly positive for me, personally

It may well be that your new diet has some health benefits that you are seeing. But there are also likely drawbacks to that much red meat, some of which will only show up in a blood panel. Yearly physicals are a good idea, and if you're making health changes, now is a good time to start if you don't already. You could driving your cholesterol up, and may not realize it until it's too late.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LltZ8gXd-Xc

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Beef is very bad for the planet OP, please eat less. Even switching 3 of your dinners to other animal steaks / chops would make a big difference, and you may find something you like better.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I can't recommend anything until I run my hands through OPs hair for several minutes

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
After I learned how to make a really great pork chop, I didn’t miss steak at all any more. I do steak like once per year now.

It doesn’t hurt that even the fancy top of the line pork is like half the price of mid grade steaks.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Pork is my favorite meat

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Doom Rooster posted:

After I learned how to make a really great pork chop, I didn’t miss steak at all any more. I do steak like once per year now.

It doesn’t hurt that even the fancy top of the line pork is like half the price of mid grade steaks.

Amen, a well-seasoned thick juicy pork chop with an excellent crust can be put up against most steaks any day of the week.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

The Midniter posted:

Amen, a well-seasoned thick juicy pork chop with an excellent crust can be put up against most steaks any day of the week.

Absolutely.

Heck, a bonus for pork IMO is its flexibility for seasoning profiles. With a beef steak, I don’t actually want anything other than salt and pepper (maybe a mushroom salt for finishing).

With pork, salt and pepper only is great, but some Aleppo + Szechuan pepper powder completely changes it in a great way. Or lime and chipotle, or garlic and smoked paprika, or a thousand other combos.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Doom Rooster posted:

Heck, a bonus for pork IMO is its flexibility for seasoning profiles. With a beef steak, I don’t actually want anything other than salt and pepper (maybe a mushroom salt for finishing).
Yeah, although you don't strictly speaking have to serve steaks as steaks. During the early/middle pandemic I started getting bulk meat from a meat CSA and ended up doing poo poo like making upscale cheesesteak or using steak in stir fry (a steak done s-v, sliced, and then finished with something like passing through/走油, wildly nontraditional but comes out well).

These days I only do a standard meat and three type thing with a slab of protein like maybe a couple times a month.

Also, yeah pork is great if you eat pork, although I think the pork I've been using the most lately is ground pork, which is more or less a meat seasoning in a lot of mostly-veg dishes.

I think my all-around favourite source of animal protein is duck: use the breast meat either as main by itself (s-v, seared & sauced or w/e) or something else (what I've done the most lately, sliced thin and served in duck ramen—duck and dashi stock, blanched bok choy, egg, onion greens/scapes, sautéd shiitakes, handmade noodles); dark meat goes in cassoulet (best in the cold months) or stir fry or whatever; bits and bobs can be used for something fancy like forcemeats or just going into making a exceedingly rich stock.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
The steak every night diet sounds completely bananas to me and I’m glad this time around it’s being mentioned by other posters.

Stay safe, steak goon. It’s good that you’re cooking for yourself and enjoying your food, but red meat is for most people better suited as a sometimes food. It also has an insane cost to the environment even if the price you’re paying at checkout is affordable to you.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrcbyNIJKGk

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

SubG posted:

Yeah, although you don't strictly speaking have to serve steaks as steaks. During the early/middle pandemic I started getting bulk meat from a meat CSA and ended up doing poo poo like making upscale cheesesteak or using steak in stir fry (a steak done s-v, sliced, and then finished with something like passing through/走油, wildly nontraditional but comes out well).

We’ve switched to buying half/whole animals from a few ranchers we personally know around us, and this is basically what 99% of our beef steak cuts turn into now.

And wildly non traditional but delicious has slowly taken up 80% of all our cooking excepting basics like “oatmeal” or “pot of beans”.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It's insane to me that in just a few short years we've gone from "if you don't eat steak all day you're gay" to 90% of the thread dogpiling on someone for scarfing beef. I'm glad for the progress though! If anyone wants an easy source for a ton of beef-free recipes, both the vegan thread and the Indian thread are great resources.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
There are totally different posters responding in different threads and forums so yeah. YLLS still has a low-carb thread that will be happy to talk about their shiny coats and strong teeth. I would quote but it's probably not fair to drag people in here just for snorting dehydrated broth or whatever they're doing now.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 26, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

An asymmetrically footed glass so you can drink and smoke with one hand

https://www.htfw.com/smoke-joe-colombo-acqua-water-glass-twin-pack-28cl

$200 for a pair

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I've successfully stopped eating beef but I have really struggled to excise pork from my diet. Lots of great dim sum/Chinese places around, that's where it's hardest for me.

edit: I'm fully pescatarian at home nowadays though that doesn't mean much when I'm working so much I'm constantly eating out :/

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

An asymmetrically footed glass so you can drink and smoke with one hand

https://www.htfw.com/smoke-joe-colombo-acqua-water-glass-twin-pack-28cl

$200 for a pair
£199.95 is more like US$235.

Which is a lot for a snooty alternative to the beer hat.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So I think I figured out a weird trick for roasting wetter veg. I was roasting some zucchini slices tonight, and somehow forgot to toss them in any kind of fat before chucking them in the oven. They were in about 10-15 min before I'd noticed and realized they weren't coming along as hoped, so I popped them out, gave them a quick toss in olive oil, and threw them back in, and goddamn if those weren't the best zucchinis I've ever had in my life. I'm wondering if the prefat roast allowed more water to evaporate before the browning kicked in after the oil toss? More testing is clearly necessary. I still have one in the fridge, so maybe a control/test batch again tomorrow.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Guildenstern Mother posted:

So I think I figured out a weird trick for roasting wetter veg. I was roasting some zucchini slices tonight, and somehow forgot to toss them in any kind of fat before chucking them in the oven. They were in about 10-15 min before I'd noticed and realized they weren't coming along as hoped, so I popped them out, gave them a quick toss in olive oil, and threw them back in, and goddamn if those weren't the best zucchinis I've ever had in my life. I'm wondering if the prefat roast allowed more water to evaporate before the browning kicked in after the oil toss? More testing is clearly necessary. I still have one in the fridge, so maybe a control/test batch again tomorrow.

I think you might also get a little dry skin, sort of like a pellicle, with more surface area that the oil just clings to really well.

Potatoes get really nice when you par cook them, toss them in oil and the cut surfaces get all craggly and rough

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Most of my friends are vegetarian, and a longtime roommate doesn’t eat red meat, which has cut a huge amount of meat from my life. Helped me break the rural “always have to have a meat” mentality. Cooking with them opened up a ton of new flavors and foods I thought were too challenging or something. When its just me and my wife, we still eat a lot of poultry, then pork because it’s hard to pass up $.99/lb when it shows ip at Costco.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Always have to have meat

https://twitter.com/cnn/status/1563140264373276673?s=21&t=uJm5ehXPDsBX2pGp3v5VhA

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

ThePopeOfFun posted:

the rural “always have to have a meat” mentality

I don’t think this is limited to rural locations/people?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Scientastic posted:

I don’t think this is limited to rural locations/people?

Of course not exclusively. I grew up rural and experience far more shock/awe to meatless meals among my rural compatriots. Difficult to imagine giving up beef when you personally raise and slaughter show cows, or are on a 6th generation ranch.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'll admit that I probably have meat (or eggs) in 70% of my meals. I was raised in a suburb and live in a different one now. Never been really inner city and never been even close to rural.

I'd like to get away from eating this much meat but also I'm not having any kids so I've done my part around climate destruction!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I'm not completely meatless. Never wanted to be really. I just woke up one day and most meat tasted like crap. I never liked pork and I've been tired of chicken all my life, but now I don't even like sausages or seafood anymore. I can still eat the occasional burger or taco if I'm really in the mood, and I can eat chicken I just find it boring. I mostly eat black beans or chickpeas with rice and have an egg or two every day. Food tastes good and that's all that matters.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Wait, there were Fine Fairs in Canada?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SubG posted:

Wait, there were Fine Fairs in Canada?

I'm Canadian, no idea what you're talking about. That's from No Name brand. The ones famous for their cooking spray looking identical to their insect repellent.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Fine Fare was a British grocery that had similar yellow generic products

Yellows are for subjects of the queen. America has white generics

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 27, 2022

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

I'm Canadian, no idea what you're talking about. That's from No Name brand. The ones famous for their cooking spray looking identical to their insect repellent.
Ah, apparently Fine Fare and Loblaw are/were both owned by Weston, so Yellow Pack and No Name are siblings or whatever.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Holy GRAP I want this, badly. Ex-pat Canuck in Oz, I miss that NO NAME goodness.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Steve Yun posted:

Yellows are for subjects of the queen. America has white generics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GPGcP7-FfQ

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don’t think I’ve seen a white generic package in the US since the 90s.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

ExecuDork posted:

Holy GRAP I want this, badly. Ex-pat Canuck in Oz, I miss that NO NAME goodness.

How badly?
( I don't think they'll ship to Australia, but one Dorkroom absentee to another, I can probably figure something out to proxy it to you. )

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

veni veni veni posted:

I don’t think I’ve seen a white generic package in the US since the 90s.

The Walmart house label looks vaguely like that up here.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
White generics were a trademark of Ralphs, a grocery in California which got bought by Kroger in 1998

They phased out the white generics before that because they were mocked for being so bland looking

I can't find photo evidence of it now but I remember when they sold a hat that said hat and a shirt that said shirt

It would be pretty hilarious to own now

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I vaguely remember seeing white generics, or something very close to it when I was a kid a lot but not really in my adult life. I have no evidence to back this up but my guess is that it was originally done as an easy way to spot the cheapest thing and probably to save money on print for the package, and then was eventually walked back because of the stigma generic products had around them. Probably in no small part because of the packaging being so loud.

Although I'm not even sure I remember that correctly. The whole white packaging thing might have been something I just saw in movies as a kid.

Nowadays it's crazy. Most chains have multiple tiers of their own generic brands and some of them cost more than basic name brand stuff. Like, Kroger, target etc have premium generic brands like "private select" that are meant to be cheaper versions of luxury products.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
While most places have figured out that having several house brands helps sell, Target has no less than 50 house brands, from 1-7 in each department, it’s nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Cassius Belli posted:

How badly?
( I don't think they'll ship to Australia, but one Dorkroom absentee to another, I can probably figure something out to proxy it to you. )

Thanks for the offer, but I have friends and family in Canada I can probably blackmail/extort into sending me one. So, I guess not quite THAT badly.