Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I’ve decided on

https://sharpknifeshop.com/products/seki-kanetsugu-zuiun-kiritsuke-210-mm?_pos=4&_sid=32d390043&_ss=r

As my first knife. Now to find a petty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

On the one hand, you really should try out some knives before investing this much money into single pieces. If you really haven't used them before you don't know how you're going to feel with different lengths, handles, profiles, etc, etc. I get getting some stuff to mark the occasion and having the disposable income now, but you would probably be better off getting a few different $50 knives before going big. I don't see on this product page whether its single bevel or not - kiritsukes tend to be.

On the other hand, I've tried a bunch of petty knives and my favorite by far is NWN's and the only problem iwth it is the cost, which doesn't seem to be a problem for you.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

On the one hand, you really should try out some knives before investing this much money into single pieces. If you really haven't used them before you don't know how you're going to feel with different lengths, handles, profiles, etc, etc. I get getting some stuff to mark the occasion and having the disposable income now, but you would probably be better off getting a few different $50 knives before going big. I don't see on this product page whether its single bevel or not - kiritsukes tend to be.

On the other hand, I've tried a bunch of petty knives and my favorite by far is NWN's and the only problem iwth it is the cost, which doesn't seem to be a problem for you.

It’s double bevel. It’s a kiritsuke-gyuto; most online stores I’ve seen seem to just not sell the single bevel ones and just call the double bevel ones kiritsuke.

If I had someplace local to try them out I would but like I said; nobody local sells them, and Although I don’t mind spending money I also don’t like wasting it, buying a cheap knife in that shape even if I could find one easily just to then never use it would be a waste.

If you’d like link me the petty you mentioned as long as it’s stainless.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

It’s double bevel. It’s a kiritsuke-gyuto; most online stores I’ve seen seem to just not sell the single bevel ones and just call the double bevel ones kiritsuke.

If I had someplace local to try them out I would but like I said; nobody local sells them, and Although I don’t mind spending money I also don’t like wasting it, buying a cheap knife in that shape even if I could find one easily just to then never use it would be a waste.

If you’d like link me the petty you mentioned as long as it’s stainless.

https://www.newwestknifeworks.com/products/g-fusion-6-petty-utility-knife

I got a wood handle one on clearance a few years back and it was still Way Too Much, but is one of my most used knives.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

I got a wood handle one on clearance a few years back and it was still Way Too Much, but is one of my most used knives.

Oh, that’s not a Japanese knife. Also longer than I was looking for, for a petty I think, but thanks.

edit: oh and I just realised those were $USD, that’s definitively more than I was prepared to pay, that petty would cost more than my Kiritsuke.

I’ve decided to stick with just the two knifes - as much as I think a nakiri might be fun, I think I’d end up having to come up with excuses to use one over the other if I had both a nakiri and a kiritsuke. Going to buy myself a really nice cutting board instead of a third knife.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 13, 2022

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Nephzinho posted:

Please don’t link these knives. I only have so much self restraint.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Really

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

gently caress it sold out over the course of a couple hours… there are other places that sell it but that was a good deal, it’s usually $100 more.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I think you are making the right move starting with just the kiritsuke and the petty knife. That's not because it's bad to buy more knives, but those will fill the "core" knife requirements. You can always buy a nakiri down the road if it seems like something you'd like to have, once you've used these for a while.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Nephzinho posted:

On the one hand, you really should try out some knives before investing this much money into single pieces. If you really haven't used them before you don't know how you're going to feel with different lengths, handles, profiles, etc, etc.
second this. OP, can you go to a knife shop and try what works for you? how they feel in your hand, what length feels comfortable etc.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Development posted:

second this. OP, can you go to a knife shop and try what works for you? how they feel in your hand, what length feels comfortable etc.

I tried looking but as far as I can tell the nearest place to me that sells Japanese knives would be a 9 hour drive away.

I measured my grandad’s lovely knife and it has a 210mm blade so that’s what I’m targeting, and I’ve always preferred to push cut rather than rock so that (along with the aesthetics) are why I’m gravitating to things like the kiritsuke and/or the nakiri.

Speaking of which, I found an unusually short 150mm nakiri; I’m tempted to get that instead of the petty, since it’s kinda petty sized and would probably be good for the sorts of things I’d actually use a petty for (smaller veg like olives, tomatoes, shallots, garlic, maybe even onions). I’m struggling to think of when I would ever do ‘in hand’ type stuff like all the knife videos describe. I’m certainly not going to peel things with a knife rather than a vegetable peeler.

Question: what do you guys use your petty for in home situations?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My petty knife has a bachelor’s in general veg and a master’s in cutting up fruit.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I reach for my petty when I just need to do something small but a paring knife isn't big enough, or heavy enough. Or for something that I could use a chef's knife for, but I need to do so little I don't bother. I use a paring knife for something like hulling strawberries because the petty is too unwieldy and also you almost have to do that in your hand. This morning I made hush puppies and I used the petty to cut up scallions; the paring knife would be perfectly capable of that, but I would feel a little weird doing it with such a little tiny knife, and there's not a lot of blade to block with your knuckles if you want to work fast. I also use it for stuff like mangoes; the paring knife is too small to get all the way through one comfortably. A chef's knife would be fine for this, but I don't get out a big knife for one tiny little task. I don't know why, really, it's not like it's more work to clean. I even use the petty knife if I just have to cut up one onion and that's it.

Petty knives are a luxury, assuming you already have a paring knife and a chef's knife. You absolutely do not need all three but I like to have them.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

After some further reading I had a last minute change of mind as to which knife to get, and in the end I bought this:

https://knifewear.com/products/ryusen-blazen-ryu-wa-gyuto-210mm?variant=40048976625838

I’ve decided not to buy a petty yet. I think I’ll use the gyuto for a bit and see if I really need a second smaller knife. I do however intend to buy a proper cutting board.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I want a long knife to cut melons, maybe the occasional gourd.

My quality standards are that it won’t break if I don’t misuse it. Edge retention is not important. So I suppose that the ideal here is a soft steel.

I’m looking at the Mercer M22612 because the price is right and that seems like a brand that’s decent, but I’m open to any suggestions.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Aug 20, 2022

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I saw your post here…then I saw this one

Platystemon posted:

Melons posting ‘W’s

How did you manage this?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Those aren’t my knives.

I Googled

checks history

“reddit chef knives melons”, clicked the images tab, saw those, and posted them in the schadenfreude thread because they amused me.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Aug 20, 2022

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Platystemon posted:

My quality standards are that it won’t break if I don’t misuse it. Edge retention is not important. So I suppose that the ideal here is a soft steel.

I’m looking at the Mercer M22612 because the price is right and that seems like a brand that’s decent, but I’m open to any suggestions.

Thread favorite Tojiro has a 345mm (~13.6 inches) in that same price bracket.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Melons aren’t really that hard. Just use that knife to cut and not pry laterally and it should be just fine. I have a crappy 8” chefs knife from a grocery store that works just fine, but I use a large Chinese cleaver anyway. That 12” one you’re looking at should be fine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I know that melons aren’t that hard to cut. I’ve been cutting them a lot this summer, and I would appreciate a knife that can reach across them rather than having to carefully navigate the circumference or come at them from two angles.

I was going to get an Aliexpress special, but then I saw those photos and thought better of it. I’m sure that it’s bad technique that did those knives in (especially the Global (?) bread knife), but still, maybe I should not get a questionable knife to begin with.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I used to have a long granton edge slicer, I think it was a victorinox fibrox that I would use on watermelon occasionally. It worked well for that and could slice the largest of melons.

Edit: This one https://www.victorinox.com/us/en/Products/Cutlery/Chef%27s-Knives/Swiss-Classic-Slicing-Knife/p/6.8223.25G

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Mercer makes a 14″ slicer. Hmm tempting.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Today's Amazon Treasure Truck deal is three Wusthof paring knives for $50: https://www.amazon.com/ttgo

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Global 8" chef's knife on sale for $90, seems like a pretty decent value if you're looking for a no-frills blade.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Their handles are extremely not comfortable.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And I believe they're right-handed. So if you're a lefty like me, they are even less comfortable.

They do look cool though.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The weirdest thing to me about the Global knives was how light they are. I don't want a heavy knife but a little heft is nice.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Chemmy posted:

Their handles are extremely not comfortable.

What are you using the handle for?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Show us your handle less knives

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Show us your handle less knives

no, u can't handle it

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

I have the global 6-inch flexible boner and I think the handle works well for that or a pairing knife, but wouldn't want it on a chef's knife.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Get a handle on that flexible boner. Really feel how it sits in the hand.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Bandit posted:

I saw your post here…then I saw this one

How did you manage this?

Breaking: Chinese chef’s knife gets revenge.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Breaking: Chinese chef’s knife gets revenge.

I've done that with plastic cutting boards that don't sit flat on the counter, but a whole table is impressive.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Anyone have experience with HAP40 knives?

Been mulling over getting a new knife for use at work on the weekends (sushi) and something like this seems appealing.

Considerations for me include ease of sharpening (I’m not the best at it and prefer carbon steel because of this, trying to improve) and brittleness (prefer an edge that’s unlikely to chip when I have to cut through crispy salmon skin). Edge retention is a plus, too.

Also drawn to this knife’s shape/style: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/moasgy25.html

FishBowlRobot fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 2, 2022

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I have a Kohetsu nakiri in HAP40 and have been happy with it but it reportedly has a HRC of 65-66 so not sure it seems ideal for your criteria? High HRC means harder to sharpen and more likely to chip, right?

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

I have a Kohetsu nakiri in HAP40 and have been happy with it but it reportedly has a HRC of 65-66 so not sure it seems ideal for your criteria? High HRC means harder to sharpen and more likely to chip, right?

That’s what I was thinking but wanted to see if anyone had personal experience since the knife description makes it sound like sharpening/chipping wouldn’t be too bad.

“Contrary to other HSS steels, it can be relatively easily sharpened on normal waterstones, if not quite as easily as traditional steels. Knives from this steel keep their sharpness 3 to 5 times longer than traditional knives. HAP40 is extremely tough, and so not as likely to chip along the edge as the steel used in traditional knives.”

Is there another steel/HRC that represents a good balance between ease of sharpening, edge retention, and brittleness?

FishBowlRobot fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 2, 2022

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
AEB-L is an excellent stainless knife steel that covers what you're looking for as well, though it won't be quite that hard, more like 60-62 HRC depending on the exact heat treat process.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I have a santoku or whatever in hap40 I don't really use because turns out I don't like santokus.

I did twist off the magnet the wrong way once, which surprisingly noticeably bent the very edge and I was able to hone it back, so it's not fragile.

I think it all depends on what you want to do. If you think you'll be going through bone or frozen poo poo get a softer knife, if this will be your veg why the gently caress not.

Because they're so hard you can get a very nice edge. You also need a progression of stones to get there.

/e - read that salmon skin is the hard thing, I think you'll be fine.

the https://www.chefknivestogo.com/moasgy25.html is a beauty

IDK if the metal goon was in this thread or the previous, so I'm going to talk out of my rear end, the hap is IIRC a powdered steel, so at super fine edge/grit it has hard chunks that aren't as nice as maybe in AS, potentially, and those chunks may be harder than your stones, maybe.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Has science gone too far?

Reddit posted:

So I did a thing: Took my Shibazi F208-1 and simply cut the corner off with an angle grinder. I took my time and took several shallow passes not to let it get too hot and damage the heat treat of the knife.
These are my thoughts so far
Pro:
  • lighter
  • less front-heavy
  • more visibility
Con:
  • heat treat status is doubtful
This started as a stupid idea "wouldn't it be cool to have a DIY tinker tank" but I do like it quite a bit. I'll have to see how it (and the heat treat) hold up.

Surely it is an F208-2, though.

I don’t hate it, which is the highest honor I can give to a project where someone took an angle grinder to a perfectly good knife.