Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Megazver posted:

I continued my Rising Stars binge by checking out Immortality Starts With Generosity.

Anyway, started reading this and it's pretty enjoyable so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Tori Transmigrated had some really angry people in the RR comments when it was officially confirmed that the MC was aro even though the romantic interest was incredibly one-sided the entire time.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Don't think I saw this posted, but Prac Guide's author's new series:
https://palelights.com/2022/08/17/chapter-1/

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

.Z. posted:

Misread the first line as "None of the skeletons were working" and I really hoped we'd have a skeleton strike to force necromancers to provide them with more mana or some poo poo.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

.Z. posted:

I can’t figure out how to get an RSS feed to add to my aggregator and I’m too drunk to troubleshoot. I had PracGuide set up

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

SerSpook posted:

Misread the first line as "None of the skeletons were working" and I really hoped we'd have a skeleton strike to force necromancers to provide them with more mana or some poo poo.

Time for someone with talent to write a story about skeletons overthrowing the necromancers and forming unions for better pay and conditions.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maguoob posted:

Time for someone with talent to write a story about skeletons overthrowing the necromancers and forming unions for better pay and conditions.

lich is a slur for union organizer just like redneck

day-gas
Dec 16, 2020

SerSpook posted:

Anyway, started reading this and it's pretty enjoyable so far.

Also enjoying it, though the author seems to have an allergy related to using commas.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
I looked at the rising stars to look for golden turds.

Dawn of the Void - a LitRPG Apocalypse

Is actually pretty great in depicting trauma...that was present before litrpg craziness. The author has an earlier work if you need a proof of not disappearing, but reading what there is right now hit me in the feels a few times. Mc's main sidekick reminds me of an ex, so I'm probably biased and drunk. Definitely drunk.

The Systemic Lands

This author comes off as super misogynistic, or maybe that's just the mc. That's gonna be real hard to tell apart in serial world either way! Author also spoils sword art online casually if you care about such things.

Dying for a Cure

It kind of feels like a super hero serial, but it is clearly some chaotic medieval land like your usual litrpg. Not your usual one of those due to the power mechanics, but whether it will become great who knows. Would read if you like ogres though for sure.
edit: actually this is great solely because of the way auto-translate deals with measurements and units.

shirunei fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 26, 2022

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Maguoob posted:

that's a pretty good hook, isn't it

e: helps that a background element in one of the best ongoing webcomics is the advent of zombie labor leading to both the end of most human slavery and a certain amount of labor crunch

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 26, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shirunei posted:

I looked at the rising stars to look for golden turds.

Dawn of the Void - a LitRPG Apocalypse

Is actually pretty great in depicting trauma...that was present before litrpg craziness. The author has an earlier work if you need a proof of not disappearing, but reading what there is right now hit me in the feels a few times. Mc's main sidekick reminds me of an ex, so I'm probably biased and drunk. Definitely drunk.

The authors other story is still ongoing and is a non-progression thing that's set in Not-Scandanavia, which is slowly being invaded by Not-Rome. It's pretty sick honestly. I like the way the magic works- it's basically the power of narrative, sort of like PGTE, but a little less explicit or literal.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Oh, I sing 'em real pretty, I sing 'em real sad
And all the people in the crowd say he ain't half bad
Well, they call me King Turd up here on poo poo Mountain
But if you want it you can have the crown

I joke but this has actually bumped my numbers a little, which is the most numbers bump I can reasonably expect from anything anymore
e: it's possible something else bumped my numbers but gently caress if I know what else would

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

shirunei posted:

edit: actually this is great solely because of the way auto-translate deals with measurements and units.
the autotranslate reveal was the best part of it so far, agree

no idea why it had the weird "I'm in the future and an edgelord" poo poo when it has a perfectly cromulent plot about ogres and an rear end in a top hat church and conspiracy theorists and memetic hazards

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

.Z. posted:

I'm excited to see where it goes (and how the seeming dual-protagonist thing is going to work). I'm still trying to grasp exactly what the setting is like, but I'm assuming it'll become clearer over time. PracGuide benefited from being directly based on something more or less resembling a typical fantasy setting, but Pale Lights seems a lot more ambitious in terms of having a unique fantasy setting.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Specifically, PracGuide is warhammer.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's specifically set in the narrative construct of Warhammer. it's not a traditional fantasy at all!!

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

.Z. posted:

Is this one going as hard into the meta nonsense as Prac did?

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Been slowly reading Katalepsis and it's so good

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I read it quite quickly and let me tell you, it's still so good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

it's specifically set in the narrative construct of Warhammer. it's not a traditional fantasy at all!!

The story isn't yeah, but I mean the general "appearance" of the world (like what the countries/races/etc look like).

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Is it just me or do all the goblin women in OVDT have essentially the same personality/description? I can mentally distinguish Sneppit because I remember she's the boss and wears pink, the rest of them all blur together.

Also, I really miss Maguro and the inevitable betrayal vizier dude.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
I had the same issue. They all kinda blended together into the same sassy goblin. I can't even remember which one I read about first.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Hey, thanks! Glad you're enjoying it.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Cicero posted:

Is it just me or do all the goblin women in OVDT have essentially the same personality/description? I can mentally distinguish Sneppit because I remember she's the boss and wears pink, the rest of them all blur together.

Also, I really miss Maguro and the inevitable betrayal vizier dude.

It’s not just the women, I’ve got trouble remembering what any of the goblins do unless they’re given sufficient screen time to really stand out. I think part of it has to do with the wacky names, which all kind of run together after a while. (I have this problem with the elves too.)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Cicero posted:

Well, they have two personalities. Some of them are hostile and standoffish, others are hyperactive and kooky. Perhaps other personality traits will be revealed, once they are no longer attempting to feel out a dark lord in the middle of a civil war.

I really cannot bring myself to agree with the author's note saying he thought this was his best book yet. Maybe it is paced better, sure, but what's being paced is a single run-on action sequence populated entirely by nonsense people.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Contrariwise, I love Feiyan

quote:

"Poor Feiyan is in terrible trouble again and only her wise, well-learned sect sister can help!"

Alice severely doubted that. "Are you too busy to get a snack from Earth Peak again?" She sighed and stood up, stretching.

"No, but that's also a problem I had, before the gallant gentleman Leng Qitai of the Leng family came to my rescue just a moment ago!"

May she never lack for senior brothers and sisters to fetch little treats

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

a single run-on action sequence populated entirely by nonsense people.
thread title if we didn't already have a great one

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Contrariwise, I love Feiyan

May she never lack for senior brothers and sisters to fetch little treats

I love that basically every character is an instantly recognizable archetype. The groupie from David's trek is hilarious too.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Hungry posted:

Hey, thanks! Glad you're enjoying it.

I specifically said it here so you would see it, yeah. Right now I'm at 6.3 and making my way onward.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
TUTBAD

quote:

“We’ll have to spread them out,” said Mizuki. “Di-lute them, you might say.” She gave Alfric a thumbs up.

“I wouldn’t fret about it too much,” said Alfric, giving her a thumbs up back.

“Did you two prepare for this?” asked Verity.

These fukkin dorks lol

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Well, they have two personalities. Some of them are hostile and standoffish, others are hyperactive and kooky. Perhaps other personality traits will be revealed, once they are no longer attempting to feel out a dark lord in the middle of a civil war.
Don't forget the third kind, the union laborer / minion just trying to make it through the day and keep their heads down, sensibly trying to avoid all the horrible world-wreaking stuff.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

(OVDT) Zui wants to hug everything better and has a soft spot for anyone traumatized which I remember because I share that same flaw. Sneppit is big boss as mentioned and Ritlit enjoys being annoying as poo poo. I can’t tell the rest apart either. I did like this book though, felt like we learned some cool worldbuilding stuff and that things are moving at a good clip.

day-gas
Dec 16, 2020

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I really cannot bring myself to agree with the author's note saying he thought this was his best book yet. Maybe it is paced better, sure, but what's being paced is a single run-on action sequence populated entirely by nonsense people.

Goblins all flowing together definitely isn't a high point, but the talking and working between Yoshi and Our Boy whose name I forget was some of my favorite content of the entire story.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Dikkfor posted:

TUTBAD

These fukkin dorks lol
So uh you know how people say some stories have trouble because the writer has to juggle way too many powers

The google doc of lutes is a hell of a thing and you could probably build a whole magic system off it.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I specifically said it here so you would see it, yeah. Right now I'm at 6.3 and making my way onward.

If you ever feel like commenting on a specific chapter or anything, I always try to read and respond to almost every comment I receive, on any of the three places I publish the story. So, feel free!

Ah, 6.3! You haven't quite reached the express train of trans themes yet.

day-gas
Dec 16, 2020

Hungry posted:

If you ever feel like commenting on a specific chapter or anything, I always try to read and respond to almost every comment I receive, on any of the three places I publish the story. So, feel free!

Ah, 6.3! You haven't quite reached the express train of trans themes yet.

Going through this thread I was embarrassed to realize I was one of the people who had the trans allusions go completely over my head. All of the tentacles make me feel right but causes me pain until I find a way to do it properly hit me like "oh wow this is a super neat concept!"

Going back through it slowly has def paid dividends but I honestly don't know if I would have picked up on it had I not seen it talked about. Not in any way a criticism, just kinda awed at how I didn't catch it.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
When I read Mists of Avalon, I got through like 600 pages to the final fight where the important thing is control of the magical scabbard. That's when it finally occurred to me that, oh, all the pov characters were women.

Sometimes themes just don't hit you until later.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
And Beware of Chicken does the best take on The Wandering Inn yet. Love that chunky boy.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Hitherby Dragons was a web serial, therefore:

Rand Brittain posted:

Jenna Moran's new novel The Night-Bird's Feather is out September 22, and she says that if pre-orders and first-week sales are good enough to lift her out of her usual circle of readers, she's going to make the playtest draft of the fourth edition of Nobilis available to the public. If you're interested in either of those things, or if "Vita Nostra meets Studio Ghibli" sounds like it would appeal to you, consider pre-ordering maybe?
edit: please don't judge this by some of the poo poo I post about. consider instead the best poo poo I post about, which is extremely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dikkfor posted:

TUTBAD

These fukkin dorks lol

TUTBAD somehow manages to make the sort of "adorkable" interactions that annoy/irritate me in most other stories good. I think it's mainly because the characters have clear voices and aren't obviously just "the writer speaking through their characters."