Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Stealing this from another thread to alert you all about this finding, which is in no way just an ultrageneralized statement about plesiosaur environments. Time to resume the search!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I really enjoy the theory that Nessie is actually a whales dork. Like that's the most believable and plausible thing. We've just been seeing whale dick for years now and freak out because, honestly, how many whale dicks have you seen

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
"dude there's no way the Loch Ness monster is real."
"it's plausible."
"i'm telling y-"
"FUCKIN PLAUSIBLE!"

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
How plausible we talkin

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Knormal posted:

Breaking news, Coyote Peterson, inventor of the getting stung for views genre, has found a Bigfoot skull.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfulFD4JDFw/

I'm almost more curious how you smuggle a skull bigger than a basketball through customs. I mean, in real life you just walk it through because there's nothing illegal about carrying a replica gorilla skull over an international border, but I like to picture him walking through with a humongous bulgy version of his trademark hat on or something.

I want 2 beleif

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I always believed in nessie

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

How plausible we talkin

According to the article, it's plausible give or take 66 million years

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Champ is a picture of a log. Nesse is a toy submarine with a head made out of plastic wood. Ogopogo is a plesiosaur. A loving plesiosaur.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Ambitious Spider posted:

just got discovery plus, and the first thing I loaded up was Conjuring Kesha, a show where Kesha goes ghost hunting. It's charming and goofy. Like the exact opposite of Zak Bagans going "Come at me bro".She'll just nope out at the first sign of a demon. It's great.

+1.
"[The prison] closed like 12 years ago."
"Why?"
"Because it was too hosed up"

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Barry Foster posted:

Champ is a picture of a log. Nesse is a toy submarine with a head made out of plastic wood. Ogopogo is a plesiosaur. A loving plesiosaur.

I love the Unsolved Mysteries episode where everyone is desperately pretending that an alleged photo of Ogopogo isn't clearly just a beaver.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

quote:

Investigations: Experts were called in to analyze Ken Chaplin's video. One of them was regional wildlife biologist Robert Lincoln who believed the footage was not a hoax. His impression was that tape showed a live, living animal, likely, a river otter or a beaver. He compared a video frame from Ken's footage with a photograph of a beaver about to slap its tail on the surface of the water; the two are mirror images of each other. Ken Chaplin, however, believed the creature he saw was too large to be a beaver. Gaal speculates it could have been a miniature Ogopogo.
Ha, god drat.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Beaver? Small lake monster? There's no way to say which is more likely since the video footage is all we have. That's just how science works

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://youtu.be/FzOv14fA-BI

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Beaver? Small lake monster? There's no way to say which is more likely since the video footage is all we have. That's just how science works

Just like the Skookum cast! Biologists say it's an elk's wallowing impressions but Bigfoot researchers were looking for Bigfoot right there, so who's to say who's right?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Mysterious Metallic Orb Falls on Mexico, May Contain ‘Valuable Information,’ Meteorologist Says

The meteorologist posted:

“ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE SPHERE THERE IS A CODE, BUT NO HOLE OR SLIT THROUGH WHICH IT COULD BE OPENED …. THESE SPHERES HAVE A TIMING MECHANISM THAT, AT A CERTAIN TIME THEY OPEN BY THEMSELVES AND SHOW THE VALUABLE INFORMATION THEY HAVE INSIDE.”

This guy seems to know a little too much inside information on space spheres, if you ask me :tinfoil:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Space balls? Oh poo poo, there goes the planet.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Bird poo

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
if i was a space alien who wanted to unleash a space plague on the human race i would offer them a metallic sphere with a large sign on it that said "valuable information inside!" comic sans, our research says this is most effective.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Do you want EOT? Because that's how you get EOT.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Grey my neg rear end

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://www.uapmedia.uk/articles/calvinerevealed

quote:

Whilst the debate over the exact nature of the object continues to this day, mention of ASTRA/Aurora and a possible D-Notice suggests that a man-made vehicle, probably a black project of some description, was involved.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That's a neat looking one, I like photos like that that have something weird but it's just totally enigmatic looking even if it was a giant spacecraft or something.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
All I can see in that photo is an island in a lake. You can see its reflection in the water so it looks diamond shaped and there's a guy in a canoe in the foreground. If this wasn't the conspiracy thread I'd have thought it was a blurry pic from someones old holiday and not a dramatic revelation about alien spacecraft.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/VerbAbrams/status/1552122656857604096?t=zAmoRCEIc-mXxi9iR4CoYg&s=19

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It's a known fact that aliens are the nerds of the galaxy. All you have to do to protect yourself is give them a wedgie if their clothing allows, or shove them into a mud puddle otherwise.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I've heard about the Mud Flood theory before, but never looked into it because i figured it was just another "there was an advanced civilization thousands of years ago and it was buried" theory but then found out what it is.

in the late 19th century, the world was covered by a flood of mud that wiped out an advanced empire of giants called Tartaria. The evidence? Black and white photos of tall people and people digging, and most importantly, basements exist, and some of these basements have windows! Why would you build windows at street level! What else could it be!???

Jesus christ, i knew most conspiracy theories were at its core "i don't know how it was done so it was X" but this is excessively dumb.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

twistedmentat posted:

Jesus christ, i knew most conspiracy theories were at its core "i don't know how it was done so it was X" but this is excessively dumb.

Internet conspiracies are deeeeeeeep into Poe's Law and sometimes it's genuinely impossible to tell if they're genuine or ironic parodies because they're just that stupid

The whole "flat earthers believe mesas are the stumps of colossal ancient trees" thing is a good example of that, I have a really hard time accepting that anyone would genuinely hold that belief

https://qz.com/1627048/why-flat-earthers-dont-believe-in-trees/

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's a known fact that aliens are the nerds of the galaxy. All you have to do to protect yourself is give them a wedgie if their clothing allows, or shove them into a mud puddle otherwise.

you can't give a Grey a proper wedgie. they don't have rear end cracks. they genetically engineered them away in the name of "efficiency." and they'd do the same to us.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Internet conspiracies are deeeeeeeep into Poe's Law and sometimes it's genuinely impossible to tell if they're genuine or ironic parodies because they're just that stupid

The whole "flat earthers believe mesas are the stumps of colossal ancient trees" thing is a good example of that, I have a really hard time accepting that anyone would genuinely hold that belief

https://qz.com/1627048/why-flat-earthers-dont-believe-in-trees/

I though mesas were mountains that aliens flattened for some reason.

There's also those that belive that rocks that look kinda like people an animals are tye remains of titanic people and animals. Or any pile of rocks that is even remotely pyramid shape are pyramids.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If a cliff looks like a person or animal it's obviously a troll that got caught out in sunlight and turned to stone.

This is just basic common sense.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

twistedmentat posted:

I though mesas were mountains that aliens flattened for some reason.

There's also those that belive that rocks that look kinda like people an animals are tye remains of titanic people and animals. Or any pile of rocks that is even remotely pyramid shape are pyramids.

There's also this guy who is convinced that this rock he found is a bigfoot skull

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...range-rock.html

Goddamn that's just embarrassing, he's so desperate to believe I fee sorry for him. :o:

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Neat looking rock though, it looks embarrassed enough for the both of them.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Skinwalker/Pentagon dino-beaver is getting some traction online today thanks to this trailer

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1562518115719688193
https://mobile.twitter.com/ccscales/status/1449522193315008515

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Goddamn cryptids and their appearing and disappearing too fast to take photographs! They've identified our one weakness in this modern era! :arghfist:

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Gotta say this is the first I've heard of a virus using incorporeal beings as a transmission vector.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Holy crap, Stegocastor is my new favorite cryptid.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
a 150-pound pig is pretty small!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Last year, I wrote an article about the megalodon, the history of research into it, and its role in cryptozoology. Today (and with my permission) a YouTube channel that focuses on prehistoric life made a video adaptation of the article. It's the first time I've seen some adapt a piece of my work, thought some of you might enjoy.

Also of potential interest, I wrote an article a few years ago on mokele-mbembe, Great Zimbabwe, and lizard people conspiracies.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Last year, I wrote an article about the megalodon, the history of research into it, and its role in cryptozoology. Today (and with my permission) a YouTube channel that focuses on prehistoric life made a video adaptation of the article. It's the first time I've seen some adapt a piece of my work, thought some of you might enjoy.

Also of potential interest, I wrote an article a few years ago on mokele-mbembe, Great Zimbabwe, and lizard people conspiracies.

Oh wow, awesome stuff! Mokele-mbembe in particular has always fascinated me, it was a big part of all the weird Young Earth stuff I read while I was growing up. Even after moving beyond that, it's still an idea that sits in my mind with other cryptids, but it's interesting to look at from a more critical perspective alongside all the other aspects like the problematic colonialism it ties into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Forget flat Earth, here comes The Solar System is really an atom: https://www.reddit.com/r/Showerthoughts/comments/djyo0t/the_earth_is_an_electron_and_the_solar_system_an/