Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ainz: Oh hey, I jumped to a bad conclusion...

Underling: SO WE COULD FIGURE IT OUT OURSELVES RIGHT O SUPREME ONE

Ainz: uh, no, I really did make an error...

Underling: AN ERROR IN OVERESTIMATING OUR STRATEGIC SKILLS, HEMCE THE REASON FOR THE SUBTERFUGE SO WE COULD LEARN FROM YOUR GREATNESS!

Ainz: Look, ai might cock things up one day so WHEN IT HAPPENS, I need you to tell me

Underling: TO TELL YOU THAT WE CANNOT UNDERSTAND THE DEPTH OF YOUR INSIGHT AND PLANNING AND TO HAVE FAITH IN YOU O GLORIOUS

Ainz: Jesus gently caress guys c'mon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Endorph posted:

teppen's second episode, the assassination one that got canned for obvious reasons, will be aired in a few weeks

I'm gonna give teppen the 3 ep test with the real 2nd episode

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

FilthyImp posted:

Ainz: Oh hey, I jumped to a bad conclusion...

Underling: SO WE COULD FIGURE IT OUT OURSELVES RIGHT O SUPREME ONE

Ainz: uh, no, I really did make an error...

Underling: AN ERROR IN OVERESTIMATING OUR STRATEGIC SKILLS, HEMCE THE REASON FOR THE SUBTERFUGE SO WE COULD LEARN FROM YOUR GREATNESS!

Ainz: Look, ai might cock things up one day so WHEN IT HAPPENS, I need you to tell me

Underling: TO TELL YOU THAT WE CANNOT UNDERSTAND THE DEPTH OF YOUR INSIGHT AND PLANNING AND TO HAVE FAITH IN YOU O GLORIOUS

Ainz: Jesus gently caress guys c'mon.

Ainz and Brian of Nazareth could probably commiserate.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah I knew this would happen eventually, the crew is just too wrapped up in their hero worship to admit Ainz is anything other than a strategic mega genius. Thankfully for Ainz this was a minor snafu and Shaltear (who is second most dangerous when let off her leash and could kill Ainz if he was unprepared) obeys him unquestionably.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Kwyndig posted:

the crew is just too wrapped up in their hero worship to admit Ainz is anything other than a strategic mega genius. unquestionably.
Albedo gloating over Demiurge w/r/t the kingdom's vassalhood

"Oh, you say you would needs weeks to craft a meticulous plan that involved months of subtle trickery and counterintelligence, infiltrating the very heart of the nation's power structure? Ainz did it in an afternoon" :milk:

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
caught up with call of the night and i still think it's great. i was pretty content with the main characters being doofuses in cool night time backgrounds, but body horror monogatari fight scenes and mysterious dumbass vampire councils are pretty cool too

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
in conclusion,

:airhorn: :airhorn:

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Big Leg posted:

caught up with call of the night and i still think it's great. i was pretty content with the main characters being doofuses in cool night time backgrounds, but body horror monogatari fight scenes and mysterious dumbass vampire councils are pretty cool too

Everyone in this show is a moron and it’s cool.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I think Call of the Night caught me off guard the most. I am thoroughly enjoying stupid vampires in the beautiful city nightscapes they have created.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

FilthyImp posted:

Albedo gloating over Demiurge w/r/t the kingdom's vassalhood

"Oh, you say you would needs weeks to craft a meticulous plan that involved months of subtle trickery and counterintelligence, infiltrating the very heart of the nation's power structure? Ainz did it in an afternoon" :milk:

Demiurge is a wheels within wheels sort of demon, he doesn't realize or doesn't rely on the the strength of Nazarick which could easily conquer all the neighboring kingdoms in a day. I mean look what Ainz did to the dragons. Ancient powerful and feared beings with steely scales and breath weapons and he crushed their leader with a single spell.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Kwyndig posted:

Demiurge is a wheels within wheels sort of demon, he doesn't realize or doesn't rely on the the strength of Nazarick which could easily conquer all the neighboring kingdoms in a day. I mean look what Ainz did to the dragons. Ancient powerful and feared beings with steely scales and breath weapons and he crushed their leader with a single spell.

I thought it also was an interesting contrast in Ainz with the dragons and Shalltear with the quagoa.

Ainz rocked up to the nerd dragon looking extremely scary and was a fraction of a second from killing him before the dragon started desperately dogeza-ing and begging to serve him. Winds up with just two dragons dead who didn't get with the program.

Shalltear very casually approaches the quagoa and lays down her surrender demand, which they take as completely absurd and attack her, which results in 50,000 of them dead and the survivors in a shell-shocked fugue of, "Why didn't she show us she was that powerful first? We'd have totally loving surrendered!"

A lot of it is simply luck, but Ainz really does get better results than the NPCs when he's personally involved. And he actually wanted to kill the dragons for spell components, like a true D&D wizard.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's also a function of pitting the Virgin NEET Dragon vs The Chad Lich Ainz. Probably would have gone a little differently with King Goldhoard there making first contact

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If Harem Leader Dragon had been the first contact at a minimum he and his four. (three?) brides would have died. There's a good chance the more arrogant dragons would have teamed up and Ainz would have had to kill all the dragons. He'd probably have been silently pleased by that, but owning a nation of dragons is better than 20ish dragon corpses. Besides, if they don't pan out he can always kill them latter, they've already demonstrated they're no match for the sorcerous might of Ainz Ol Gown.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I still cant help but to read his name as Ainz Own Goal.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Big Leg posted:

Every character is some combination of "cool" and "doofus" and often goes from one to the other seamlessly.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

whoops wrong thread

Srice fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 22, 2022

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Furnaceface posted:

This

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Furnaceface posted:

I mean that makes sense as the original guild was called Nine's Own Goal, and they just mashed up the letters.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Xelkelvos posted:

Every character is some combination of "cool" and "doofus" and often goes from one to the other seamlessly.

that's the power of being awake at 3 am

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
The GridmanXDynazenon movie is now officially titled GRIDMAN UNIVERSE and lists the returning characters from both shows

https://twitter.com/SSSS_PROJECT/status/1563119075449917447?s=20&t=d9pZwBXTDjz8I2L5RdUiLg

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gridman: gridman, yuta, rikka, utsumi
dynazenon: yomogi, yume, koyomi, chise

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they better give akane and gauma cameos even though it makes no sense

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

they better give akane and gauma cameos even though it makes no sense

I'm suspecting that Akane is going to play a major role in the movie even if it's not advertised. Possibly in the 'real world'?

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
What an... Odd choice, bringing in the Gridman boys in particular. I guess they might try to do something with Yuta as a character since I guess we'll finally meet the actual Yuta here?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they can do whatever they want so long as they dont do a yuta/rikka romance tbh

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

It's [IP that we own], my favourite!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

*Turns to dust*

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's consistently funny to me that the protagonists of that show are supposed to be bookish nerds, but because of product placement they're only reading LNs.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

chumbler posted:

It's consistently funny to me that the protagonists of that show are supposed to be bookish nerds, but because of product placement they're only reading LNs.

The whole show is genuinely incredible trash. The real revelation is that despite the basic plot the actual fetish that they seem to be hammering is feet.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1563179430155272194?t=4y617Q3SPW7e9pBIUbhsUg&s=19

Crossposting from the chat thread but this movie still kinda fits the bill. If you didn't catch it in theaters, Sing a Bit of Harmony is streaming (sub and dub) on crunchyroll. The English Dub is the 2nd episode.

Srice posted:

It's pretty solid. It's a good example of the kind of anime movie that could have easily stretched its premise out to fit a full tv series but fortunately they did not so it's a nice, lean watch.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

all anime characters do now is cover haruhi songs and read haruhi light novels. when will you get the message kyoani

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

goons when time moves linearly

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

The whole show is genuinely incredible trash. The real revelation is that despite the basic plot the actual fetish that they seem to be hammering is feet.

Look if a guy friend asked me to put his socks on I wouldn't question it.

Wait does that say more about me than it does the show?

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I’ve never actually read the haruhi LNs. How do they compare with the show?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sleng Teng posted:

It's been a long time, but I'd say worse, but that says more about how noteworthy the adaptation was between the VA performances, visual presentation, and the gimmick of its broadcast order.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sleng Teng posted:

There is nothing to my recollection that is missing in terms of adaptation and of course being a notable KyoAni work a good amount of it was punched up (to say nothing of the broadcast order shenanigans), so there's really no need to read the equivalent books from the show/movie IMO.

In terms of the books that take place after the show I don't much care for them but that's a different matter I guess.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Terry van Feleday posted:

What an... Odd choice, bringing in the Gridman boys in particular. I guess they might try to do something with Yuta as a character since I guess we'll finally meet the actual Yuta here?

I mean, if you're crossing over Dynazenon and Gridman, then you want to have the Gridman Alliance. Further, showing the dynamic between Yuta, Rikka, and Sho when Yuta is awake is one of the basic potential hooks for a Gridman sequel. (Especially since one of the ending reveals in Gridman was that Yuta's feelings for Rikka were part of how Gridman was able to stand up to Akane, unlike everyone else in the world.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Sleng Teng posted:

I think they're fun YA lit reading.

Which anime did this happen again?