Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

Yes, even when I use an awl to make a pre-mark to drill.

You need to do more than "pre mark". Go get yourself a spring loaded centerpunch and really give it the beans.

Also, start with a smaller bit. And make sure your drill bits are actually sharp.

Any one of those three things should be enough to make it work. Especially sharp bits. Do all three and you're be able to make repeatably good holes all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
If you can't sharpen drill bits you're gonna be very limited!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Here's another "use" question: i have this Bosch studfinder and for whatever reason I can't for the life of me get it to reliably find studs. Or metal, or wires. All of which it's supposed to do. A normal studfinder works fine on the walls in my home, but this one seems to light up randomly at all times. I have, of course, read the instructions. I've also watched videos, had my wife try (no luck), and attempted it unsuccessfully in other places. Any ideas what's wrong with it or me?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Soul Dentist posted:

Here's another "use" question: i have this Bosch studfinder and for whatever reason I can't for the life of me get it to reliably find studs. Or metal, or wires. All of which it's supposed to do. A normal studfinder works fine on the walls in my home, but this one seems to light up randomly at all times. I have, of course, read the instructions. I've also watched videos, had my wife try (no luck), and attempted it unsuccessfully in other places. Any ideas what's wrong with it or me?

Get it replaced/repaired. That's the exact one I have and it works great.

I don't see how it could possibly be something you are or aren't doing.

Except maybe batteries? Just make sure you've tried it with a fresh known good battery.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Motronic posted:

You need to do more than "pre mark". Go get yourself a spring loaded centerpunch and really give it the beans.

Also, start with a smaller bit. And make sure your drill bits are actually sharp.

Any one of those three things should be enough to make it work. Especially sharp bits. Do all three and you're be able to make repeatably good holes all the time.

I'll definitely admit my bits could be sharper. To clarify on pre marking, I'm setting the awl where I want it and giving it 3-4 medium-ish smacks with a hammer. It doesn't make a huge dent, but I suppose it could be deeper.

So, fine then. Anyone got a recommendation for a drill bit sharpener?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

How do you sharpen drill bits? I always just chucked my $20 dewalt set and bought another.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

How do you sharpen drill bits? I always just chucked my $20 dewalt set and bought another.

That's the best way to do it.

But you can sharpen them with a bench grinder if you know what you're doing or something like a Drill Doctor if you can't be arsed to learn.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Am I insane for just using a file??

I feel like I ask this question a lot....

Wanderless
Apr 30, 2009

Literally A Person posted:

Am I insane for just using a file??

I feel like I ask this question a lot....
On spiral bits!?

I am That Guy who prefers to use a file to a power tool wherever it is practical, yet...
Sharpening drill bits is not one of those cases. First off, I would hope your bits aren't soft enough to file easily. And even if they are, getting the angles, relief, and accurately centering/balancing the bit is hard enough on a grinder for many people. I can't say that I've tried to use a hand file on a spiral bit but I am sure it is a pain. Occasionally I'll take a hand stone to hone after grinding, but I'm not going to be screwing up the angle with that. Maybe some wood bits make sense to file, but it seems awfully fiddly to me.
(e) Spade bits or augers I could see. Hole saws. But not generic bits from the hardware store, or good metal-capable bits.

Wanderless fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 28, 2022

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Wanderless posted:

On spiral bits!?

I am That Guy who prefers to use a file to a power tool wherever it is practical, yet...
Sharpening drill bits is not one of those cases. First off, I would hope your bits aren't soft enough to file easily. And even if they are, getting the angles, relief, and accurately centering/balancing the bit is hard enough on a grinder for many people. I can't say that I've tried to use a hand file on a spiral bit but I am sure it is a pain. Occasionally I'll take a hand stone to hone after grinding, but I'm not going to be screwing up the angle with that. Maybe some wood bits make sense to file, but it seems awfully fiddly to me.
(e) Spade bits or augers I could see. Hole saws. But not generic bits from the hardware store, or good metal-capable bits.

It's a little painstaking but I am only sharpening the first couple turns. Mostly I only do it for big stuff that's pricey to replace. Sure as hell not sitting there trying to hand sharpen a 5/16.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Soul Dentist posted:

Do you have plaster walls? I have yet to find a studfinder that works very well on plaster walls.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

neogeo0823 posted:

I'll definitely admit my bits could be sharper. To clarify on pre marking, I'm setting the awl where I want it and giving it 3-4 medium-ish smacks with a hammer. It doesn't make a huge dent, but I suppose it could be deeper.

So, fine then. Anyone got a recommendation for a drill bit sharpener?

An awl is the wrong tool. Use a prick punch or center punch. The dent should be easily caught by the center chisel point of the drill. Start small and step up in decent steps. Ideally, your drill would be the size of the chisel point of the next size. If I'm drilling 1/2", I usually do 1/8, 5/16, and 1/2.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

sharkytm posted:

If I'm drilling 1/2", I usually do 1/8, 5/16, and 1/2.

I find it tricky to do that and keep the hole centered. Wouldn't a step drill bit be a good solution for this purpose?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Do you have plaster walls? I have yet to find a studfinder that works very well on plaster walls.

No! It's just regular framed 2x4 drywall. I've experienced the trouble of finding a stud behind lathe, and this ain't it. Moronic may be right with the fact that it's not working correctly. Just weird that it came like that out of box...

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Bob Mundon posted:

Needed to replace my old busted black and decker drill so went with the free tool hack with Home Depot to switch that to the Ridgid ecosystem. I got the brushless circular saw with the intention of returning it since I have a DeWalt circular that works well, but it is the old brushed model. Would you guys return the Ridgid, or sell the DeWalt?

Going to run with both battery systems for the time being, so that's a non issue (although I'm a DTO deal whore so if I go Ridgid not terrible).

Got caught on the last page. Any thoughts on Ridgid brushless vs DeWalt brushed 6 1/2" circ saws?

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

It's a little painstaking but I am only sharpening the first couple turns. Mostly I only do it for big stuff that's pricey to replace. Sure as hell not sitting there trying to hand sharpen a 5/16.

I've never heard of sharpening the turns of a drill, you're usually sharpening the TIP on a grinder.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I just make my OWN drill by hand tooling a spiral out of a cylindrical piece of tungsten stock!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

One of my favorite gags when cleaning up from painting is saying "wanna see how the professional painters clean roller covers?" and then removing the roller cover and dropping it in the trash with a little flourish.

Perhaps one day I'll complement my "bottomless box of cheap oscillating tool blades" with a "bottomless drawer of cheap drill bits" because how can it be that every one of my bit sets has a missing or broken 3/16" I just want to be done with this project already and I've already made two trips to Lowe's today

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
I mean a good drill can be a hundred bucks, it's like throwing out a chisel instead of sharpening it

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Trabant posted:

I find it tricky to do that and keep the hole centered. Wouldn't a step drill bit be a good solution for this purpose?

If you're having trouble keeping progressive larger bits centered you're stepping up too quickly and/or your bits are trashed. Step bits work fine for rough work, so it's certainly an option and a whole lot faster.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

slurm posted:

I've never heard of sharpening the turns of a drill, you're usually sharpening the TIP on a grinder.

I totally do the tip but, at least for me, the first turn or two also get dull af.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I totally do the tip but, at least for me, the first turn or two also get dull af.

How do you sharpen the flutes of a drill bit without changing its size?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Motronic posted:

How do you sharpen the flutes of a drill bit without changing its size?

....it probably changes, yeah. :sweatdrop:

Wondering why dowels seem harder and harder to hammer in.....

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

....it probably changes, yeah. :sweatdrop:

Wondering why dowels seem harder and harder to hammer in.....
If you're only sharpening the first turn or two as you stated, I would imagine the rest of the bit would still end up making the appropriate size hole though, unless I'm misunderstanding your meaning.

Edit: oh yeah, dowels, so a shallow hole. Wheeeelp.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Mundon posted:

Got caught on the last page. Any thoughts on Ridgid brushless vs DeWalt brushed 6 1/2" circ saws?

brushless 100%

cordless saws are already a little weak compared to corded so i would get the most powerful one you can, otherwise it'll just bog down and be unpleasant to use. nobody used cordless saws until brushless became a thing. Rigid makes good saws, their 6 1/2" fuego is really popular .... if you dont mind switching battery platforms i think you'll be happy with it

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Aug 28, 2022

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
It is the subcompact model, but leaning that way. Imagine it's not going to be less powerful. In any case this is for light cross cut work. And as mentioned switching into Ridgid for the drill already so battery not an issue.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/18-v-sub-compact-brushless-cordless-6-1-2-inch-circular-saw

this one, right? Looks pretty sick .. magnesium guard, sky hook, vacuum attachments, led light, only 7.5 lbs :hellyeah:

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Yep, comparing to this one. Price and battery system is a non issue so basically just a direct comparison. Warranty in Ridgid favor as well.

https://www.dewalt.com/product/dcs391b/20v-max-6-12-circular-saw-tool-only

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I just hung our TV after a TV-less year in the new house. The impact driver paid for itself in just that one task. Holy cow, that thing can drive steel. Or whatever lag bolts are actually made of. Anyway, TV mount went straight into the rock-hard studs. Thanks for the rec, thread.

I don't see an appropriate thread in Serious Hardware/Software Crap. Can anybody recommend a trustworthy brand of power bar? I need one that can handle an Instant Pot (call it 1200 watts), and the reason I do is that the instant pot isn't on a countertop, it's on a worktable, and the tiny cord is not long enough to reach a wall outlet.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

canyoneer posted:

One of my favorite gags when cleaning up from painting is saying "wanna see how the professional painters clean roller covers?" and then removing the roller cover and dropping it in the trash with a little flourish.

My mother used to always, always wash out roller covers in the sink, or wrap them in plastic and stick them in the fridge if she was going to keep painting another coat after the current one dried. I think it hurt her deep in her soul when I bought half a case of roller covers to repaint our townhouse, and would just throw them away when I finished one room and moved on to the next.

My wife had picked like 5 different colors for different rooms, and I had two days to paint everything with two coats before we started moving furniture in. Like gently caress I was gonna waste my time trying to reuse roller covers to save $20.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Yeah, that post surprised me, because I figured professionals were the only ones that did clean them. I sure never have.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The best way to find out if something is disposable is ask "how many could I buy if I paid a guy an hour to clean/fix it?" If your answer is more than two it's going in the garbage.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking from my time as a painter: We reused roller covers so long as we were gonna be using the same paint color … at the end of the day we’d just put the roller in the five gallon bucket and seal the lid. So long as it stayed moist, it was good to reuse.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I for drat sure will clean my lambswool rollers after every use. Most of the professional painters I've known that aren't drug addicts (few and far between) will also clean their rollers. A painter that can't clean up or a pro that doesn't care for their tools isn't somebody you want to work with/for.

Edit: it really doesn't take much time or effort to clean a roller or brush. If you can't take the time to do it, you don't have the patience to be a good painter.

Rufio fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 29, 2022

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Due to just being too lazy to make trips to the hardware store we have rollers that have...uh....seen a lot in thier time.

o7

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My FIL was a union painter for 30 years and always cleans his roller sleeves. Use the sleeve as a sponge to help clean out your bucket, then run it under water while using the back side of your 5+-in-1 tool. Never takes him that long and he doesn't have to toss high-quality sleeves after every time he paints. He also has some pump-action spin tool to dry sleeves and brushes more quickly. If you're already cleaning up your brush(es), bucket, and screen, cleaning the roller sleeves isn't that much more time.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Using the curve in the 5in1 tool to clean rollers is the real trick. With oil base paint it probably doesn't pay to clean them since it takes so much mineral spirits, but oil base mostly gets used for trim anyway.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I suppose I should amend my joke to "how professional painters that don't use really nice roller covers or are using oil based paint clean their rollers" but I feel like that doesn't flow as well and gives away the punchline.

Home Depot has a sale right now on a Ridgid 12" dual bevel sliding miter saw with the extremely rad Ridgid mobile saw stand for $400.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...C9946/310390809

I have no experience with that saw but I will forever stan for that stand.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I also will be a stand stan for that stand. It's very good. There's enough slop in the arms/stops that I don't necessarily trust it to do repeat cuts precisely, but it's otherwise great, and very easy to setup/fold up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Drill bit talk: is there any meaningful difference in quality between drill bit brands available at LowesDepot? Same question for hex-shank driver bits, I suppose.